Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1738
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ this.
    Kreis had the worst defence in the league at NYCFC. So he's the one to solve our defensive ills? The problem with NYCFC was an unbalanced squad, TFC has the same problem.

When LA was initially built, they had the same issues, but eventually became what they are now.

When you build a squad with a DP offense, it takes some time to find the value pieces to make the defense work, but it can be done. I think it's harder to do and takes more time than building a squad of mid-range MLS players.

Vanney for all his limitations isn't the real problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think Kreis probably turned them down. Read this: http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2015/...reis-was-fired

It explains what happened with NYFC, but the content of how the team broke down and why sounds AWFULLY similar to TFC.
    He was in a tough situation. Pirlo needs 2 defensive mids as cover at the least. With Juve he played in one of two systems:
    -------------Tevez---Llorente------
    Asamoah--Marchisio-Vidal-----Lichtsteiner
    -------------------Pirlo--------------------
    -----Chiellini---Bonucci-----Barzagli

In this system, there are two things that are noticeable.
    -All of the CMs/Wingbacks, as well Tevez are incredibly hard workers. All of those players provided Pirlo immense protection especially in his final 2 years.
    -All three of the defenders, esp. Bonucci are immensely capable with the ball. Bonucci was always an outlet for Pirlo, which helped create room.

He also played in a diamond that included a combination of Pereyra, Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio...with one playing as the CAM (usually Pereyra, or Vidal)...once again, the ability of those players to chip in defensively and cover the pitch helped him immensely. Not one of those players is creative...They are all players who can tackle, and are physically very impressive, and can run for miles.

At NYCFC, he had defenders who were not comfortable in possession, and a midfield that didn't suit him.

Kreis was dealt a bag of ****.
    Last edited by Calcio; 11-08-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calcio View Post
    He was in a tough situation. Pirlo needs 2 defensive mids as cover at the least. With Juve he played in one of two systems:
    -------------Tevez---Llorente------
    Asamoah--Marchisio-Vidal-----Lichtsteiner
    -------------------Pirlo--------------------
    -----Chiellini---Bonucci-----Barzagli

In this system, there are two things that are noticeable.
    -All of the CMs/Wingbacks, as well Tevez are incredibly hard workers. All of those players provided Pirlo immense protection especially in his final 2 years.
    -All three of the defenders, esp. Bonucci are immensely capable with the ball. Bonucci was always an outlet for Pirlo, which helped create room.

He also played in a diamond that included a combination of Pereyra, Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio...with one playing as the CAM (usually Pereyra, or Vidal)...once again, the ability of those players to chip in defensively and cover the pitch helped him immensely. Not one of those players is creative...They are all players who can tackle, and are physically very impressive, and can run for miles.

At NYCFC, he had defenders who were not comfortable in possession, and a midfield that didn't suit him.

Kreis was dealt a bag of ****.
    And in the end the same may be true of Vanney. There were some worrying signs it went deeper, however. Am I the only one who got zero motivation sense from the guy? Kreis at least comes across as strident and passionate.

Maybe we get a good DM, fix the wings, fix the defense. Problematically, he has said he doesn't see much need for turnover, and we have at least five expensive first-team players who should be shown the door as soon as possible.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Maybe we get a good DM, fix the wings, fix the defense. Problematically, he has said he doesn't see much need for turnover, and we have at least five expensive first-team players who should be shown the door as soon as possible.
    Bendik

Cheyrou

Findley

I would argue Perquis should stay and that the 2 CDs we saw at the end are really backups, as is Jackson.

RB, DM, 1 CD, RM, keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bendik

Cheyrou

Findley

I would argue Perquis should stay and that the 2 CDs we saw at the end are really backups, as is Jackson.

RB, DM, 1 CD, RM, keeper.
    Kantari is on $300,000 a season, or something ridiculous like that. So he should be gone, as I highly doubt he'll renegotiate to less than half of that, which is what a backup defender in this league generally makes.

Moore is on an option and there was no suggestion this year that he has an active role in the team, before or after going home (his father died, I think). That's another.

Perquis might be Aurelien Colin type who, while reckless, was held in check at KC by being next to a better defender. So if we get a number one, we maybe keep him.

But I'd be trying to shed Kantari, Moore, Findley, Gomez, and Bendik. If Cheyrou would stay as Bradley's backup on less money (I doubt it) he'd be ideal for a late-game role as a playmaker. I'd keep Gomez on less money, too, but he's noted throughout his career for bitching about playing time, even when he's cold.

Probably Lovitz should go but we haven't seen enough. I certainly don't see a smooth, McNamara-like transition to the pro game there and he lacks athleticism, even though his ball skills are quite impressive.

WE also should probably at this point promote Babouli and Manella to the first team, as they're not learning much at USL level.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of off topic now, but Patrick Vieira is new NYCFC manager.

http://www.espnfc.us/new-york-city-f...-fc-head-coach

I think Sigi Schmid is on the hot seat at Seattle, esp with Kreis available to link up with Lagerwey again. And I think Schmid will retire if he gets fired. His health is really bad.

Bob Bradley is also available, though he still prefers to stay in Europe. Even a truckload of cash is unlikely to convince Bradley to come back to MLS, if he has Europe aspirations.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley has supposedly already taken another job with Le Harve. His bro tweeted as much this morning https://twitter.com/JeffreyPBradley/...84986906796032

Moyes is available

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle is an ambitious club, and they want the very best. That's why I think (if Sigi is out) that Kreis will be named manager at Seattle in the very near future. They'll probably give him a top salary, too, as he was given at NYCFC (I read a million bucks a year).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley is near officially the new manager at Le Havre, and I read a recent interview he did where he said he was frustrated that he couldn't break into a management role in a top league... talking about how he wasn't getting any offers from the biggest leagues while he sees the same group of managers jumping from club to club despite mediocre-at-best results. So he pretty clearly has aspirations beyond anything MLS could offer him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Bob Bradley is near officially the new manager at Le Havre, and I read a recent interview he did where he said he was frustrated that he couldn't break into a management role in a top league... talking about how he wasn't getting any offers from the biggest leagues while he sees the same group of managers jumping from club to club despite mediocre-at-best results. So he pretty clearly has aspirations beyond anything MLS could offer him.
    European clubs value experience. Unlike us. Goes to show how hard it is to get a top league job in Europe - even with Bradley's credentials (he even won manager of the year in Norway). I wonder if Vanney could land a 3rd division role in Norway? Probably not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Gregg Berhalter did land a job at Hammarby when they were in Swedish 2nd div. Though a lot of that had to do with AEG hook up.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Well, Gregg Berhalter did land a job at Hammarby when they were in Swedish 2nd div. Though a lot of that had to do with AEG hook up.
    That's a unique situation, really. I'd like to see a head coach from the MLS land a big league job on his own merits without a sponsor making it happen. Bradley is one, and probably Kreis could land a job overseas as well in a smaller league. But Vanney? Sorry, no Euro club in their right mind would hire him based on his experience. That's our thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Goes to show how hard it is to get a top league job in Europe - even with Bradley's credentials (he even won manager of the year in Norway).
    That's the frustration for him I think. Here's the interview: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/63dc0...ing-bigger-job

He's had repeated success but can't break into the old boys' club of top flight managers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes me wonder what sort of offers Bruce Arena would get from EU. Probably nothing more than Div.2 in the top 5 countries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been like this for a minute, they way his career has been going is up, dont see him returning to MLS for a bit

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So NYCFC appoints Patrick Vieira as head coach to replace Kreis. Same experience as Vanney, just with a more famous club who happens to half-own the team. So if the attraction of coming to New York and having the $$$ that Man City has can't get a better coach, what hope is there for MLSE and TFC getting people to come to Hogtown?

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/11/09/patrick-vieira-appointed-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So NYCFC appoints Patrick Vieira as head coach to replace Kreis. Same experience as Vanney, just with a more famous club who happens to half-own the team. So if the attraction of coming to New York and having the $$$ that Man City has can't get a better coach, what hope is there for MLSE and TFC getting people to come to Hogtown?

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/11/09/patrick-vieira-appointed-new-york-city-fc-head-coach

Vieira to NYCFC has been rumoured for a while. I think the sheikhs had a plan to eventually put Vieira in NY. They've been grooming Vieira for a while.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Vieira to NYCFC has been rumoured for a while. I think the sheikhs had a plan to eventually put Vieira in NY. They've been grooming Vieira for a while.
    Exactly. They could have easily signed a very experienced manager and put him in place - it's not because they didn't have other options. They want to build up Vieira to take over City one day. He's a huge personality with the club, but they want to try him out in the MLS first. Personally I think it's a terrible idea. He's far too inexperienced to be running a big club, even if it's the MLS. However, it might work, but it's certainly riskier than taking on experience with evidence that the guy can actually do the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/11/09...-fc-head-coach
    This wasn't a situation where they couldn't find anyone to take the job. Vieira was their first choice. He's been coaching in the Man City academy for years now - he is being groomed to eventually take over at City itself. This is the next step in that process.

NYCFC didn't come up empty here, they didn't even search. Vieira was always going to be brought in, this is probably just earlier than they had originally planned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn't a situation where they couldn't find anyone to take the job. Vieira was their first choice. He's been coaching in the Man City academy for years now - he is being groomed to eventually take over at City itself. This is the next step in that process.

NYCFC didn't come up empty here, they didn't even search. Vieira was always going to be brought in, this is probably just earlier than they had originally planned.
    what a solid player he was....on a coaching note, MLS went from a players retirement league to where coaches gain experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's so much that they couldn't get a better coach, but rather that they're using NYCFC as a development ground for coaching as well now. They really are the successor to Chivas USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that putting Vieira in was probably in the plans all along. I'll take the less popular view that he'll do better than Kreis, and it won't be a mess. He has done a solid job with the MCFC senior academy squad (which they call their Elite Development Squad) and CFG will be very keen to help him. Anything is possible so it could go wrong but I think he's going to get a lot more out of all their current players and CFG will bring in some better younger players he is already familiar with.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    ...CFG will bring in some better younger players he is already familiar with.
    US soccer isn't going to change the domestic rules.

It comes down to the MLS equivalent of "Stoke on a Rainy Teusday Night".

Can he take his team through the heat of Texas and across the country via charter and still get the best out of them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    US soccer isn't going to change the domestic rules.

It comes down to the MLS equivalent of "Stoke on a Rainy Teusday Night".

Can he take his team through the heat of Texas and across the country via charter and still get the best out of them?
    Understood, within the limits of roster rules. He may only be able to have at most 3 from the EDS but I'm thinking he might get some players higher on the development priority list than the type Kreis had during his season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never liked Vanney, from day one, I didn't like Vanney.

That said, do we really want a different manager? Do you think that starting over again is a good idea? This is Vanney's squad, and unless he has lost the locker room, keep him for another year because otherwise it is just another rebuild.

Instead, how about at least trying to build on the foundation that we have. If Vanney is a wash out next year, we can get rid of him by June/July and hope that the season isn't a loss. But we should at least TRY to stick with him.

Look at DC, Ben Olsen has been their manager since 2010. In 2013 they had the worst MLS record EVER.

Even better, look at Chelsea, is Mourinho all of a sudden a shit manager?

I have been saying 'I want Vanney to prove me wrong' for a year, I STILL want him to prove me wrong, but this is NOT Paul Mariner and I really don't think that he is going to sink the team for any extended period of time if he stays on and fails.
    WE DID IT!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some info on the coaching carousel - Schmid stays in Seattle. I suspect he and Martins and Dempsey have one more season to try to get something going. Seattle will be retooling its role players, getting faster and younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about Brendan Rodgers?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mum View Post
    What about Brendan Rodgers?
    As much as I miss Deluded Brendan, I would prefer he ply his trade somewhere else. A team of #10's isn't going to fly in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers is probably another firing in England and a job in Europe away from MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    As much as I miss Deluded Brendan, I would prefer he ply his trade somewhere else. A team of #10's isn't going to fly in MLS.
    But he would have said we were outstanding in that 3-0 defeat to Mtl