Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    They main goal should be to hire the correct President. Once that person is in place they will then implement the top down structure. Still early, see what Vanney gets out of the team. The results haven't been amazing, but 9 points in 7 road games is good in MLS. Last night we won but ultimately didn't advance. Defense is the issue. If this isn't addressed in the summer window then idk. No cap room is not an excuse, we knew that the team needed 1-2 CB's last year, because Caldwell's health was already in question.
    Vanney is not totally at fault here, a lot of blame goes to Bez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Vanney is not totally at fault here, a lot of blame goes to Bez.
    100%. The whole lacking CB and natural wide players is depth which Bez is at fault for. I still think Vanney should be getting more out of the backline tho. Some of his team selection has been troubling but I think he is learning.

On that note, are we happy with Morrow at RB? Morgan has thrown a wedge into the mix and has been quite good. If Morrow can establish himself as the RB option as long as Morgan continues to perform, could help to solidify the backline. Even if Bloom is healthy I want Morrow on the field. Didn't like Morrow at CB to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^there is also the case of taking on high salary squad players like Findlay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

On that note, are we happy with Morrow at RB? Morgan has thrown a wedge into the mix and has been quite good. If Morrow can establish himself as the RB option as long as Morgan continues to perform, could help to solidify the backline. Even if Bloom is healthy I want Morrow on the field. Didn't like Morrow at CB to be honest.
    I think i'd like to see a bigger sample of Morrow at RB but right now the signs are promising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm convinced that morrow is left footed. Because the amount of times he received the ball with his left, which took away the option for him to go down the right flank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morrow is clearly left footed, he always seems to prefer to cut back and swing it in with his left (while playing as a RB).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see Morgan finally has a inside move instead of blindly crossing once he runs out of time. Shame once he makes that move, he's all deer in the headlights as what to do next. Baby steps. I'd like to see Morrow stay right while he continues to figure this out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Nice to see Morgan finally has a inside move instead of blindly crossing once he runs out of time. Shame once he makes that move, he's all deer in the headlights as what to do next. Baby steps. I'd like to see Morrow stay right while he continues to figure this out.
    Baby steps should happen at a lower level - send him to USL - That's where he belongs. He's not an MLS player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg Vanney stressed the club had still reached its immediate goal. "The task of the guys today was to win the game," he said. "To set an identity for ourselves at home, to find some urgency. We did all of those things."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Greg Vanney stressed the club had still reached its immediate goal. "The task of the guys today was to win the game," he said. "To set an identity for ourselves at home, to find some urgency. We did all of those things."
    So it was him that set off the fireworks at the end

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Abbott and the Don are never going to allow anyone to throw silly money at Arena or Schmid.

There is a centrally managed comp system for managers also in this league. The league won't talk about it, google searches won't find it.

If there were ever going to be real money spent on management in MLS, it would have to be for a manager from outside the league who would actually put fannies in seats.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    So it was him that set off the fireworks at the end
    Goals reached: check.
    Won match: check.
    Set identity: check.

Sounds like a reason to celebrate to me. I guess when/if we make the playoffs in 5th or 6th with less points than last season we can have a parade too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If there were ever going to be real money spent on management in MLS, it would have to be for a manager from outside the league who would actually put fannies in seats.
    I am honestly shocked that they never did this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am honestly shocked that they never did this.
    IIRC Charlie Stillitano, former MetroStars GM and now match promoter, broadcaster, etc. has talked about that at length. He brought in Carlos Queriroz (1996) and most prominently Carlos Alberto Parreira (1997) and got a lot of hell from the league. Those were early days and things were a lot more centrally run than now, if you can believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

f off...he should fired jus for that stupid statement,mtl played ther b team and still scored 2 shit goals like everyone seems to do v TFC...thats coaching ..same mistakes every game.VAN are not better talent wise on d,but they get clean sheets in ther sleep...fire has ass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    f off...he should fired jus for that stupid statement,mtl played ther b team and still scored 2 shit goals like everyone seems to do v TFC...thats coaching ..same mistakes every game.VAN are not better talent wise on d,but they get clean sheets in ther sleep...fire has ass.
    You make a couple of points that I never even thought of. I never really noticed it last night but it was pretty much their B team and yeah, the sum of Vancouver's defense is also crap and they manage to pull out clean sheets (GK is much better than ours though).

I also don't know what Vanney watched but we had a lot of problems at certain points in last nights match. So much so that I couldn't even tell it was the B squad of the worst team in MLS. If the Impact used their A squad they probably would've scored 3 or 4. And we aren't exactly free flowing on the attack either. Not yet this season actually. Very disjointed going forward and without much of a plan. Most of our goals come from brilliant individual (and sometimes team) efforts but it's not like anything was drawn up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how the hell can u leave a player unmarked in the box with 8 min to go...oduro to boot,has never scored with his head in his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The task was to win the round, congrats on winning the game but you didn't go through to the final, it should have been about winning enough to get into the final, winning the game shouldn't be an accomplishment in a cup tourney when you end up loosing on aggregate.

If it was a league game then I would agree with him.

Note that I don't want him gone, I still think he needs to be given more home games.
    Last edited by Richard; 05-14-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Mark Abbott and the Don are never going to allow anyone to throw silly money at Arena or Schmid.

There is a centrally managed comp system for managers also in this league. The league won't talk about it, google searches won't find it.

How did Seattle do it then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think Vanney will figure it out, and that the team is just going through some growing pains atm. But the more I watch D.C., the more I think that our next coaching hire no matter what has to be Ben Olson, either next year or in ten depending on how well Vanney does. He's gotten so much out of a team that really, really should be a team that makes it nowhere near the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to mention. ..did both second half goals come when MTL was a man down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Not to mention. ..did both second half goals come when MTL was a man down?
    Just Cheyrou's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    How did Seattle do it then?
    It wasn't money. Sigi wanted to go back to the west coast.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no salary cap on coaching in MLS. TFC need to use this to their advantage and stop hiring these rookie coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cincy View Post
    There is no salary cap on coaching in MLS. TFC need to use this to their advantage and stop hiring these rookie coaches.
    Though I don't disagree that someone with experience should be hired next since we've faltered with rookies lately... I still think the major issue is the roster and depth and not Vanney's management. We've got players that have vastly underperformed this year (Osorio, Creavalle, Hagglund) and injuries in key positions (mostly on the defensive side)... on top of that we've played 7 games on the road and only 1 game at home so far.

I can't see any other manager coming in and doing all that much better than Vanney has given the situation this year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I can't see any other manager coming in and doing all that much better than Vanney has given the situation this year.
    I think a lot of managers could have done better. For as shit as he is, Preki could have done better. Anyone who showed any concern for organization or shape could have.

We don't pick the schedule but playing Orlando & Philly had a lot to do with those 9 points. If there were ever easy points, those and the Houston at home were it. I'm not letting two park the bus wins convince me that Vanney's done a great job and I'm not counting last nights win over the Impact's B squad as anything either. These next 3 matches will be it for Vanney. Make or break. Expect to lose bad this Saturday and accept it but if we lose to Portland & S.J at home, well....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of managers could have done better. For as shit as he is, Preki could have done better. Anyone who showed any concern for organization or shape could have.

We don't pick the schedule but playing Orlando & Philly had a lot to do with those 9 points. If there were ever easy points, those and the Houston at home were it. I'm not letting two park the bus wins convince me that Vanney's done a great job and I'm not counting last nights win over the Impact's B squad as anything either. These next 3 matches will be it for Vanney. Make or break. Expect to lose bad this Saturday and accept it but if we lose to Portland & S.J at home, well....
    I hate to harp on the point, but Jozy and Gio had a lot to do with those points as well, not Vanney's coaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Though I don't disagree that someone with experience should be hired next since we've faltered with rookies lately... I still think the major issue is the roster and depth and not Vanney's management. We've got players that have vastly underperformed this year (Osorio, Creavalle, Hagglund) and injuries in key positions (mostly on the defensive side)... on top of that we've played 7 games on the road and only 1 game at home so far.

I don't buy that. We have the players to be top third in the league. Should definitely not be fighting it out with the bottom five.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I don't buy that. We have the players to be top third in the league. Should definitely not be fighting it out with the bottom five.
    We've had 1 home game.

And those top 4 east teams are pretty tough battle hardened campaign ready teams - I'd take any of DCU, NYRB, NER or CLB into an MLS final right now and say the East wins. Seattle may be flash and Vancouver is grinding it out too. But those 4 teams have developed toughness to them early that I don't see going away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see them firing him.. Leafs coach got sacked, Raptors coach on the hot seat and Vanny out ? MLSE won't be paying all these guys to sit at home.