Page 14 of 58 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not smart enough to use the new tweet tags but https://twitter.com/RonWaxman/status/628686930172092416

Ron Waxman laughs at the Solskjaer rumor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney's not going anywhere this season.

Solskjaer as President could be possible though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ron Waxman is simply one of the best in the biz, he knows what he is talking about and is well connected.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be weird if our president was a better coach than our current one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be funny indeed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agent in Europe uses TFC as leverage.

Quelle Surprise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Agent in Europe uses TFC as leverage.

Quelle Surprise.
    Still getting used to TFC's new worldwide celebrity status.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original tweet that Waxman was responding too has been deleted. So Waxman calls BS and it looks like it to be the case?

Last edited by pdubs; 08-04-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always felt that the president should be someone who has an understanding of North American sports, and NA soccer. I think understanding how things work here in NA is at least as valuable as understanding the game itself. There's so much weird stuff that happens in MLS that doesn't happen in Europe, and teams are structured completely differently. I'm not confident in handing the keys to the entire club to someone who isn't familiar with the way things run here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I've always felt that the president should be someone who has an understanding of North American sports, and NA soccer. I think understanding how things work here in NA is at least as valuable as understanding the game itself. There's so much weird stuff that happens in MLS that doesn't happen in Europe, and teams are structured completely differently. I'm not confident in handing the keys to the entire club to someone who isn't familiar with the way things run here.
    Yes and no I say. Depends on what they want. If they do intend to run it like the set-up the Leafs have, with an expanded back room staff, then it could work. You'd have a European as the President, Bez as GM, and then Vanney as manager with maybe some consultants or whatnot tossed in from the Prez. It could work but it is a lot of chefs in the kitchen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Yes and no I say. Depends on what they want. If they do intend to run it like the set-up the Leafs have, with an expanded back room staff, then it could work. You'd have a European as the President, Bez as GM, and then Vanney as manager with maybe some consultants or whatnot tossed in from the Prez. It could work but it is a lot of chefs in the kitchen.
    agreed, Bez would be what regualr offices call the compliance team.

A good prez would learn those special rules really quickly and have the right ppl in place to keep him within the rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh here it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 games in a row of letting 3 or more goals in, that's not even going to let us limp into the playoffs if that sustains, I saw nothing today to see that stopping.

Vanney should be given the rest of season, but we've got make a serious decision regarding coach and GM at the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamoriello behind the bench!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Lamoriello behind the bench!
    I love you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legit questions should be asked. I am been more of a wait and see with Vanney. If we don't have a better replacement lined up then change for changes sake probably not the best.

We knew the Red Bulls strength and they exploited them. Didn't shift tactics and waited to change personnel to late. I think this team has talent but when the manager isn't setting up the team for success then idk. Diamond works great against certain teams depending on how they play. Today Vanney got out matched but we all knew the Red Bulls strategy which makes this hard to take.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello darkness my old friend.

the Avatar stays until we have the same coach and above for two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    5 games in a row of letting 3 or more goals in, that's not even going to let us limp into the playoffs if that sustains, I saw nothing today to see that stopping.

Vanney should be given the rest of season, but we've got make a serious decision regarding coach and GM at the end of the season.
    I'm not defending Vanney because he definitely has to shoulder part of the blame, but it's not a coincidence that Bendik has been in goal in all those games. When your keeper is routinely giving up 1-2 soft goals every game, it's very difficult to overcome regardless of tactics and execution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite clear Vanney cannot organize a defense. No, we haven't added the right players back there, but other MLS teams regularly do more with less, or just as little. Red Bulls themselves were short 3 defenders today, but you couldn't tell.

It's too late to make a coaching change though. Bez could never justify making two late season changes in a row, and who would even replace Vanney? A coaching change would only make things worse at this point. I'm not advocating Vanney needs to be gone or that we need to keep him, but now is very much the wrong time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see our shots against total and a comparison to other teams, I couldn't find a site that had that.

Bendik is average for sure, but its not all on him, the midfield and defense have not helped him nearly enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I'm not defending Vanney because he definitely has to shoulder part of the blame, but it's not a coincidence that Bendik has been in goal in all those games. When your keeper is routinely giving up 1-2 soft goals every game, it's very difficult to overcome regardless of tactics and execution.
    Thing is keeping is only a small part o father problem when you're consistently losing games with 3+ goals against

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would put this more on Bez then Vanney, to be honest. Great at getting offence, but can't seem to find defence, or wide players.

Vanney's biggest mistakes this season? Thinking Creavalle could be a RB & thinking Findley could contribute.

The measure of him will be how he adjusts now that it is painfully obvious that the diamond midfield is not going to work, even if it does fit our team's strengths best.

Somebody is going to have to play in a position he doesn't like. Altidore or Cheyrou or Bradley or Giovinco. Cause, right now, those four can't play as the spine given how lacking this team is in width. That's assuming that Delgado and Chapman and Osorio can't play wide. Lovitz is a natural winger who wants to stay outside - the only one on the team - but the brain trust doesn't trust him. Jackson likewise is a natural winger, but he likes to come inside. Nail him to the sideline? Maybe.

What might work? Altidore out left and Gomez out right and GIovinco in the middle of a 4-3-3 with Bradley Osorio and Cheyrou. But, for that to happen, this braintrust has to trust our FB's - not sure they do.

If Vanney persits with the diamond against Montreal and Seattle (it will probably do well against Orlando), then its only a matter if we can somehow limp into the playoffs.

We make the playoffs, Vanney stays for next season and we live to fight again.

We don't, he's gone. That's still the yardstick. He's not gone before that happens.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-15-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would put this more on Bez then Vanney, to be honest. Great at getting offence, but can't seem to find defence, or wide players.

Vanney's biggest mistakes this season? Thinking Creavalle could be a RB & thinking Findley could contribute.

The measure of him will be how he adjusts now that it is painfully obvious that the diamond midfield is not going to work, even if it does fit our team's strengths best.

Somebody is going to have to play in a position he doesn't like. Altidore or Cheyrou or Bradley or Giovinco. Cause, right now, those four can't play as the spine given how lacking this team is in width. That's assuming that Delgado and Chapman and Osorio can't play wide. Lovitz is a natural winger who wants to stay outside - the only one on the team - but the brain trust doesn't trust him. Jackson likewise is a natural winger, but he likes to come inside. Nail him to the sideline? Maybe.

What might work? Altidore out left and Gomez out right and GIovinco in the middle of a 4-3-3 with Bradley Osorio and Cheyrou. But, for that to happen, this braintrust has to trust our FB's - not sure they do.

If Vanney persits with the diamond against Montreal and Seattle (it will probably do well against Orlando), then its only a matter if we can somehow limp into the playoffs.

We don't, he's gone. That's still the yardstick. He's not gone before that happens.

yeah this is pretty much it.

Only thing is I think it'd be easier to play Seba and Gomez/Delgado/Chapman or whatever as the wide players and Jozy as the lone forward. Puts seba further away from goal but adds more creativity and dynamism in the midfield and puts Jozy up top alone like he likes to be. I think Vanney will figure out this needs to be done come the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have Lovitz, Gomez, and Jackson that can play wide. Adjustments can be made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should wait until year end.

Late season firings rarely work.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this now that I'm not as emotional. I think Creavalle and Findley contribute more if Vanney persisted with the 4-2-3-1 he preached in preseason. Creavalle failed because of the pressure that the diamond has on fullbacks and Findley isn't contributing because he's not a finisher. Out wide, he could have done well as a field stretching midfielder and as a balance to Oso on the other flank.

So Vanney scraps his original go-to system in preseason, plays a 4-3-3, essentially playing Altidore out of position so now we're not getting the best of him. Bradley plays as a no.6 and we're not getting the best of him because he needs a more disciplined midfielder next to him if he plays deep. We also get overloaded on the flanks and lose games.

We then go to a flat 4-4-2, but then we lose the battle of the midfield and possession. Seba stays high and Altidore has to do the running and drop into midfield. That works for a few games, then we move to the diamond we have now, a different formational identity to what I think Vanney had in mind. We've won a few games but the balance is screwed up because now we have all 3 DPs sitting high up the pitch. A lot of pressure in on Cheyrou at the no. 6 role and we've seen what happens when he's not there.

We now see the blessings and curses of playing Giovinco. Obviously he's the best attacker in the league but sadly he's not a system player. Vanney mentioned something about his ability to play a lot because of "his movement is very efficient". That's also code for that he doesn't defend. When we have 5"4 striker who won't defend, we're limited to how many systems we can play and most of them are two striker systems. That also means, we will at times lose the midfield battle because we're simply out-numbered in the middle of the park.

So if we make the playoffs and I think we will, it will be because of Giovinco and only him. But, I'm not sure that's a good thing because the amount of sacrifices Vanney and other players have to make.

I might sound crazy for criticising Seba here but he's also part of the problem for our defensive woes. That falls back on Bez and Lieweke.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 08-16-2015 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are definitely getting an education in the perils of building a team with galacticos and without balance.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A better manager could get results with what we have. This isn't like the 2013 team here. Lots of teams have uneven squads and players who don't defend. Even NYRB managed a clean sheet with a makeshift back line and Robles in goal against us. Honestly, since Seba goes rogue a lot and we have solid attacking players, we could and should have a more staunch, counter attacking set up in our back pocket for tricky fixtures. Especially in environments were wins are hard to come by. At least give us a chance to nip a tie and maybe a win if we confound the opposition with something unexpected. A little tactical flexibility would go a long way. It's not like MLS players are all students of the game, you throw them a curve ball and more often than not, they'll crumble. Of course you focus on 'your game' like Vanney always says but having a set up that covers the back and allows you to prevent goals at least at certain times should have been done. As it is, all our problem areas tactically, are left unaddressed. Sure the personnel isn't perfect but not every teams is. LA has 4 DPs and they have some so-so players filling out the squad and their depth is shit but they succeed, why? They succeed because they have a good set up, a decent plan, and they also adapt. We don't, can't, or won't.

But instead we'll do the same things next week and going forward, say that we need to play our game and limit mistakes, we won't do it consistently and at best we'll squeak into 6th and get our asses handed to us from there. And we'll start Bendik all the way to the end and he will allow at least another 5 bad goals and another 3-4 that probably would have been stopped if his positioning was better. He will not get another clean sheet this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I am not going to say much more. Vanney cannot not get this team to defend well enough. He has to be let go. We have looked good going forward but if we cannot defend we cannot win. We have a talented team by MLS standards, sure it is far from perfect, but we should be doing much better then we are, Vanney has been given a chance he is blowing it. There is enough of the season left that it can be salvaged, but only if we have the right manager to come in.

I agree that Bendik shuold not be the first choice keeper. We were better with Konopke
    Last edited by trane; 08-17-2015 at 07:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ I am not going to say much more. Vanney cannot not get this team to defend well enough. He has to be let go....There is enough of the season left that it can be salvaged, but only if we have the right manager to come in.
    Sure Vanney is useless. But who do you think we are going to get now that the world football calendar has started?

I'd rather bet on the Avram Grant model - the players should just start ignoring him, Bradley needs to take this on.