Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    On another note, from what I can see the Kreis rumours are all coming out of one tweet made by a blogger out of Portland. Anybody got anything more concrete about NYCFC?
    Grant Wahl suggested it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    And for all the Carl Robinson love (not saying it's undeserved at all, to be clear), we have a better PPG now than the Whitecaps, with a game in hand on them.
    To be fair thought, Robbo also doesn't have Giovinco...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that would be harsh on Vanney. I have had lots of concerns about him, expressed here, particularly defensively, but he got the team to the playoffs and showed improvement during the year. That should earn another year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    To be fair thought, Robbo also doesn't have Giovinco...
    He's been there 2 years and he hasn't sorted out their finishing problems. You don't need Giovinco level talent to address that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/1...ional-team-mls

Just to stir the pot even more, Miguel Herrera is available and willing to take an MLS job. Amusing as El Chelis, but more brilliant
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Just fire his aas after playoffs

Finished 6th in season - last playoff position for most expensive team in league in conference with 2 new expansion teams.
    Last year - 6th position wasn't even a playoff spot
    Worst Defensive Record in League from a so called defensive minded (Defense Player) Coach
    Lost many points by overplaying Creavale and Findley
    Constantly Changing Starting Line-Up
    Worst Defending of set-plays in League (Corners - Free-Kicks)
    Worst Attacking in Set-plays besides when Giovinco takes them and scores

Most point/wins came from single player - Giovinco

Enough said - fire Vanney

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I consider the season unsuccessful (even if they beat Montreal) but do not want to fire Vanney unless we are firing Bez also.

Bez "firing" Vanney reeks of the same crap Mo pulled in the last two years. Who is kidding who?

Manning either sticks with the program, and gives it one more year, or he doesn't.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-25-2015 at 07:37 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've tried firing the coach every year... with the same results. NYRB tried it for 15 years, and won nothing. So why not give stability a go for at least another year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highest payroll in the league
    MVP player
    All fingers are pointing at vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My opinion is firing Vanney after this season, regardless of the result Thursday, would be near-unbelievable stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I consider the season unsuccessful (even if they beat Montreal) but do not want to fire Vanney unless we are firing Bez also.

Bez "firing" Vanney reeks of the same crap Mo pulled in the last two years. Who is kidding who?

Manning either sticks with the program, and gives it one more year, or he doesn't.
    The defending this year has been criminal, having the best player in the league breaking all sorts of MLS records and just being average is not acceptable.

They get until next summer to fix this teams defense, if we cant even be average defending we're not going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has shown improvement. Half way through the season his selections, tactics and motivational skills were all open to question. He has improved the first two. Today suggests not so much the third.

i actually think they should trade Michael Bradley. There is something off when he is in the line up - he is a terrific player in many ways, but often something doesn't quite work when he is playing. Not sure Vanney can manage him either, he essentially blamed Bradley and Cheyrou for the loss.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    ...i actually think they should trade Michael Bradley. There is something off when he is in the line up - he is a terrific player in many ways, but often something doesn't quite work when he is playing. Not sure Vanney can manage him either, he essentially blamed Bradley and Cheyrou for the loss.
    Bradley had a great first half. But he tends to go deeper when the big star is behind him.

Vanney is right though - there was no reason for Bradley and Cheyrou to both play so deep in the second half.

Hearing Vanney after the game he was also pointing to Jackson tucking in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excuse excuse excuse from this coach...im pissed the game is on thursday...now we have to wait a extra day before our season is done.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Vanney has shown improvement. Half way through the season his selections, tactics and motivational skills were all open to question. He has improved the first two. Today suggests not so much the third.

i actually think they should trade Michael Bradley. There is something off when he is in the line up - he is a terrific player in many ways, but often something doesn't quite work when he is playing. Not sure Vanney can manage him either, he essentially blamed Bradley and Cheyrou for the loss.
    I don't have time right now, but I would love to compare TFC's record this year, when Bradley was in or out of the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't have time right now, but I would love to compare TFC's record this year, when Bradley was in or out of the lineup.
    TFC 15W-15L-4D

Bradley 11-12-2
    Altidore 9-11-3

w/o Bradley 4-3-2
    w/o Altidore 6-4-1

So not only do they both miss a bunch of games (nearly 1/3) to USMNT duties, they also don't seem to help the winning pct.

Here's a better way to build a team
    Cheyrou 14-11-3
    w/o Cheyrou 1-4-1

Enough with the overpaid US Internationals

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    TFC 15W-15L-4D

Bradley 11-12-2
    Altidore 9-11-3

w/o Bradley 4-3-2
    w/o Altidore 6-4-1

So not only do they both miss a bunch of games (nearly 1/3) to USMNT duties, they also don't seem to help the winning pct.

Here's a better way to build a team
    Cheyrou 14-11-3
    w/o Cheyrou 1-4-1

Enough with the overpaid US Internationals
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not going to get in a big debate. The logic thing is this, unless we get into a play off run a proper replacement for Vanney has to be found. Look Vanney has done some good things, but he has had what you guys wanted from him a full season to show that he can address the defensive deficiencies. He has not done so. He has to be let go this team can get at least another 15 points, with a defensive improvement. We could go far on Giovinco's back, but we are not a strong contender, unless we great toughen up for this next game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am not going to get in a big debate. The logic thing is this, unless we get into a play off run a proper replacement for Vanney has to be found. Look Vanney has done some good things, but he has had what you guys wanted from him a full season to show that he can address the defensive deficiencies. He has not done so. He has to be let go this team can get at least another 15 points, with a defensive improvement. We could go far on Giovinco's back, but we are not a strong contender, unless we great toughen up for this next game.
    Do you feel that with Caldwell being a bit of an albatross this year that it's fair to judge Vanney on his one shot at improving defense in Kentari and whatever he could get from waivers (Williams)?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Do you feel that with Caldwell being a bit of an albatross this year that it's fair to judge Vanney on his one shot at improving defense in Kentari and whatever he could get from waivers (Williams)?
    Perquis and Kantari would have been Vanney's choices as he is the guy with the French connections. But yes, it is fair. Previous managers have managed better defensive play for us with a lot worse players. A lot worse.

Bottom line; we got what we got player-wise and a good manager would have adapted the system to cover our deficiencies. We haven't done that and I see no signs that Vanney would manage it next season. He has done very well on the offensive side, no question about that but without the defense being addressed properly we will always be a middle of the road team. In my opinion we need someone to take over from what Vanney has done, without overhauling the whole team, and just tweak it to function better on the defensive side.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW Kreis would be the perfect replacement for Vanney. Plays similar style and philosophy only more experienced, so it wouldn't be starting over again from scratch. Pretty well anyone else and I would rather give Vanney another year, with stability and Vanney continuing to grow as a coach TFC will probably do better next year.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another 15 points would have made us supporters shield winners by 4 points. I just don't see us at that level.

That said - another 5 points would have seen us in 3rd (Supporters Shield) & 2nd in the East.

I'm not a huge fan of Vanney, but we are within touching distance. I think it makes sense to give him another season the strengthen up defensively. I don't think blowing things up by starting over is warranted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent point. Not that I'm advocating a return to Preki, but the man ran a tight ship, especially compared to what we've seen this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of the thing with past coaches that have done better defensively is they did not do it finding a balance between attack and defense. It was pack the defense and hope for the best in attack.

There was also the matter of late goals that plagued us heavily in those years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    FWIW Kreis would be the perfect replacement for Vanney. Plays similar style and philosophy only more experienced, so it wouldn't be starting over again from scratch. Pretty well anyone else and I would rather give Vanney another year, with stability and Vanney continuing to grow as a coach TFC will probably do better next year.
    He is the only real option. If he was available and interested I would take him 100%. He would represent a natural progression and not a tear down.

At this point I don't think restarting with a new direction and manager is the way to go this off season. Now if Vanney flounders or we get more of the same next year then yes but not this winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Past coaches are past. Keep it that way. This team needs a good tactician.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Think a lot of people forget this. Dude missed almost half the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think judging after one full season is too early. I'm not sold that Vanney had enough control of the roster to place all the blame on him. Would he have wanted Altidore, or a stud CB? This team was screaming for a CB or two all year, and it didn't happen. I would love to have seen this season with Henry and Caldwell. We just don't have that leadership at the back, and though Henry was incredibly frustrating to watch sometimes, we haven't had an athlete like him at CB since.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The thing with the backline is we don't have a CB Leader.

Perquis and Williams are the same type of player, although Williams is more of leader - but that doesn't say much about his ability to do it.
    Kentari is garbage. Get rid of him.

I keep saying this but I realize Caldwell was old and slow, but I wonder what someone like him could've done to organize us from the back. We've had no defensive leadership, whatsoever. It's every man for themselves back there and it shows.

With that being said, as much as i think Vanney didn't do a good job this year, and I wouldn't be heartbroken if he left, but to get rid of him without adding that 1 piece in the back and maybe getting rid of a forward or two and bringing in 1 good off the bench forward/winger....I dunno. Our record and stumble the last few games has me concerned that this team just doesn't have it - and it's partly managerial - but it's also player wise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Think a lot of people forget this. Dude missed almost half the season
    Part of proble with Perquis and Kantari is that I don't think both speak good English. Perquis has gotten better esp last couple of games before his injury, but he's got the benefit of almost full season with the team.
    I think one of reasons why Cheyrou did pretty good for his first season is that his English is pretty good.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano