RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frankie65 View Post
    but we'll have a roof....

aarrrrggoooos!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

Stability for stability's sake? Sounds like it to me.
    So what he's saying is that we made a mistake in letting Mo Johnston, Cummins, Preki, Dasovic, Winter, Mariner and Nelsen go early?

Okay then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Kreis' NYCFC conceded just as many goals as TFC. just saying... maybe it's not the coach.
    Expansion team. And not like Orlando, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Montreal, etc. They had to start from scratch just like us.

But sure, you can judge him on that record. But please don't forget the 7 years he made the play-offs, the 3 times he got really close, and the 1 time he won the league. That was a team he built. I'd give him 3 years to do it here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least I can expect another amazing season like this one next year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In typical TFC fashion, TFC makes the worse choice yet again.

Either you show that you have full confidence in Vanney, or you fire Vanney and get Kreis (or whoever).

Manning admitting that he talked to Kreis and this wishy washy stuff shows that the management doesn't have full confidence in Vanney. Basically announced that Vanney is a deadman walking. The players doesn't seem to have full confidence in him, and now the management. And 8 game road trip to start the next season.

I'm calling it now. Vanney will get fired early next season, barring some really drastic changes happen between now and March. And when Vanney gets fired, Jason kreis won't be available.

So stupid of TFC
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    So what he's saying is that we made a mistake in letting Mo Johnston, Cummins, Preki, Dasovic, Winter, Mariner and Nelsen go early?

Okay then.
    Time to start the Manning Era Deathwatch thread.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Either you show that you have full confidence in Vanney, or you fire Vanney and get Kreis (or whoever).

Manning admitting that he talked to Kreis and this wishy washy stuff shows that the management doesn't have full confidence in Vanney. Basically announced that Vanney is a deadman walking. The players doesn't seem to have full confidence in him, and now the management. And 8 game road trip to start the next season.

I'm calling it now. Vanney will get fired early next season, barring some really drastic changes happen between now and March. And when Vanney gets fired, Jason kreis won't be available.

So stupid of TFC
    THIS!

Manning, I'm disappointed in you. Feel free to leave with Vanney when he goes, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expansion team. And not like Orlando, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Montreal, etc. They had to start from scratch just like us.
    Not to mention NYFC had their priorities all wrong in their expansion year.

There is no way to sugarcoat this decision, let's not try. Finally had a shot at a respectable coach and we'll end up with another year of that defensive horror show.

At least the organization now has its fall guy for next year!

Really rethinking my season tickets now.
    Last edited by Bobo; 11-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Stability" worked with Kreis (and yes, RSL supporters thought Kreis was an idiot at first), but is Vanney as good? Only time will tell. I would have gone with the proven winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on record as saying I was fine with Vanney returning. I still am. I think Vanney can improve and has the potential to do well. I think there's more pressure on Bezbatchenko right now to sign quality players, and I'm happy that Manning said he would be involved in soccer decisions.

That being said, I think I would have hired Kreis. Just too good of an opportunity to pass up. But I'm not calling next year a disaster yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most people are reading this the wrong way. Manning talked to Kreis, and likely offered him the job. Kreis probably decided he didn't want to be involved in TFC drama. Think about it, he was just thrown out after a year in NY. Now he's offered a job at a team that has had 9 coaches in 9 years. He probably doesn't want to be thrown out after a year AGAIN (and considering TFC's history, he's right to be a little sceptical). So yeah, he passes on our particular brand of drama and tries to find a team that will give him a few years to build success, instead of demand it on day one.

Now Manning is left with a few options. Option 1, he fires Vanney right now, continues TFC's legacy, and tries to find a better coach (and a coach willing to sign on with a team that can't seem to keep a coach for longer than a season or two). Option 2, he tries to put forward the image that TFC is going to be different going forward. We're going to give our coaches a little time to succeed, and not fire them immediately after a setback. Sure, that might mean our next season is in danger of under-performing again, but but he's trying to put himself in a situation where, when the NEXT Jason Kreis is available, he will want to come work with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Bradely, Jozy and Seba to throw Vanney under the bus with their blunt assessment of the team from defence, formation to tactics there is no way he can stay now...

I heard a rumor at halftime in Montreal Bradley and Seba had a go at Vanney and told him that the tactics and his ideas were all wrong and it was quite heated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I'm on record as saying I was fine with Vanney returning. I still am. I think Vanney can improve and has the potential to do well. I think there's more pressure on Bezbatchenko right now to sign quality players, and I'm happy that Manning said he would be involved in soccer decisions.

That being said, I think I would have hired Kreis. Just too good of an opportunity to pass up. But I'm not calling next year a disaster yet.
    I think we are likely to improve next year if Vanney can rally the troops and make them believe in him. But Kreis would no doubt have been the smart move right now. Sadly the past continues to haunt us. Because we got rid of so many coaches Manning felt like reversing that trend - instead of reversing the trend of hiring inexperience, and going with a proven winner instead. Sadly this is so TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So stupid of TFC
    Agreed. Either don't even entertain the question, pretend like it's 100% obvious that Vanney is staying, regardless of what internal discussions may have happened. Or ditch Vanney now.

Who are they going to hire as coach next May? Robin Fraser?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our defense will definitely allow over 50 goals next year. No evidence that Vanney has a game plan that can adapt to be even defensively responsible.

Going by our stars comments, I'd say bringing him back will lower morale. They know he has no clue what he's doing and you could see it as the season wound down. He was tinkering until then end and that isn't what a smart manager does especially when you have a year plus to figure out something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Who are they going to hire as coach next May? Robin Fraser?
    Most likely. Then he will have a year and a half and get sacked too because he is no better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty interesting from Manning though. He set 3 objective goals for next season today: 8 points from first 8 road games, 45 goals or less conceded on the year, finish with over 50 points. No room for error for Vanney now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many mixed messages this morning. Typical TFC shitshow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

This is pretty interesting from Manning though. He set 3 objective goals for next season today: 8 points from first 8 road games, 45 goals or less conceded on the year, finish with over 50 points. No room for error for Vanney now.
    Sounds like Vanney has one more year to ruin the current franchise.

He stays and fails, then you can expect Seba to want out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I think most people are reading this the wrong way. Manning talked to Kreis, and likely offered him the job. Kreis probably decided he didn't want to be involved in TFC drama. Think about it, he was just thrown out after a year in NY. Now he's offered a job at a team that has had 9 coaches in 9 years. He probably doesn't want to be thrown out after a year AGAIN (and considering TFC's history, he's right to be a little sceptical). So yeah, he passes on our particular brand of drama and tries to find a team that will give him a few years to build success, instead of demand it on day one.

Now Manning is left with a few options. Option 1, he fires Vanney right now, continues TFC's legacy, and tries to find a better coach (and a coach willing to sign on with a team that can't seem to keep a coach for longer than a season or two). Option 2, he tries to put forward the image that TFC is going to be different going forward. We're going to give our coaches a little time to succeed, and not fire them immediately after a setback. Sure, that might mean our next season is in danger of under-performing again, but but he's trying to put himself in a situation where, when the NEXT Jason Kreis is available, he will want to come work with us.
    I think you're probably right. Manning offers Kreis the job. Kreis turns down TFC. At least future managers see that you get 2 full years.

... but losing Kreis is really hard to swallow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think you're probably right. Manning offers Kreis the job. Kreis turns down TFC. At least future managers see that you get 2 full years.

... but losing Kreis is really hard to swallow.
    That's an assumption. We don't know that Kreis was offered the job. Whether or not he was is a huge and important factor in rating Manning. If he didn't, then he's clearly not the man for the job. If he did, then he is. Maybe some insiders will reveal something in days to come.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

At least the organization now has its fall guy for next year!

Really rethinking my season tickets now.
    Exactly. After my 42% price increase, just yesterday I decided to drop my pair of season tickets. Instead I was going to share with a guy who is upset about the same price increase, and whose buddy wants out of their pair of tickets for sure. Now I'm not so sure.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an assumption. We don't know that Kreis was offered the job. Whether or not he was is a huge and important factor in rating Manning. If he didn't, then he's clearly not the man for the job. If he did, then he is. Maybe some insiders will reveal something in days to come.
    ... or Manning didn't offer Kreis the job, but is a great judge of coaching talent, and Vanney turns out to be a great coach next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether or not Kreis rejected the job, surely Manning could have spent a little more time looking around before confirming the decision. This was a poor decision any way I look at it, just how bad is unknown at the moment.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether or not Kreis rejected the job, surely Manning could have spent a little more time looking around before confirming the decision. This was a poor decision any way I look at it, just how bad is unknown at the moment.
    Manning was under the pressure to respond to the public and the media after the debacle at Mtl. He didn't have much time to look elsewhere.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning decided that stability is the key to success, not hiring a capable/experienced/successful coach. Stability is great when you have the right people in place, yes, but we have no evidence that Vanney is going to be good - only evidence that he's poor tactically, can't motivate, can't fix problems, players don't seem to trust him, etc. He had a season + 1/3rd of a season. Unfortunately Manning let us down today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning was under the pressure to respond to the public and the media after the debacle at Mtl. He didn't have much time to look elsewhere.
    I just hope that it'll get out that we offered Kreis the job, but he turned it down. It's too bitter a pill to swallow that we let Kreis slip through our hands.