Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    only 6 more games to go in the vanney-bez era ... thank god
    You are assuming we are going to get 5 or less points out of the next 6? (That's assuming New York gets 11 out of its 5)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    only 6 more games to go in the vanney-bez era ... thank god
    After our season is done, Vanney, most likely. Bez, I'm not so sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure a coaching change comes before an executive change, and I'm not sure we'll see an executive change (ie naming of a team president) until Tim L knows for sure when he's leaving. There definitely will not be a GM change before a team president is appointed. I had high hopes about the Gandini rumor but the absence of any further rumors indicates to me nothing will happen on that front in the immediate future.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only way Vanney isnt around next season is if we miss the play offs, even then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Only way Vanney isnt around next season is if we miss the play offs, even then...
    Wouldn't be so sure about that. Things have changed with this organization, at least in some regards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think limping into to playoffs and losing the first round game does nothing for Vanney. People here (and in general) would be rightly unimpressed by that.

Suspect that Bez-Vanney survival has more to do with machinations upstairs. Leiweke is spending most of his energy elsewhere these days, it is a rudderless ship.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think limping into to playoffs and losing the first round game does nothing for Vanney. People here (and in general) would be rightly unimpressed by that.

Suspect that Bez-Vanney survival has more to do with machinations upstairs. Leiweke is spending most of his energy elsewhere these days, it is a rudderless ship.
    This too. Im just not as convinced that TFC is willing to fire and reboot yet again, especially seeing how its all worked out previously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are all missing the point here... No way Vanney or Bez gets fired, if they make the playoffs (even if it is a playin game) We are the minority of the fan base. We care about the results and understand how bullshit it (Just ask Pookie) most casual fans don't have a clue about the league. To them the season will be considered a success and that is where MLSE is going to focus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens to Bez (and Vanney) is solely a function of when Leiweke leaves, and who replaces him.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I think we are all missing the point here... No way Vanney or Bez gets fired, if they make the playoffs (even if it is a playin game) We are the minority of the fan base. We care about the results and understand how bullshit it (Just ask Pookie) most casual fans don't have a clue about the league. To them the season will be considered a success and that is where MLSE is going to focus.
    I don't think scraping into the playoffs and losing in the first round with the highest payroll in the league will be considered a success by anyone's standards, even the casual fan base.

I think ownership has gone above and beyond for this organization. The onus is on management to fulfill reasonable expectations, and so far, they have fallen short considering the resources afforded to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens to Bez (and Vanney) is solely a function of when Leiweke leaves, and who replaces him.
    Or if Giovinco decides he doesn't like Vanneys tactics and starts suggesting they need an Italian style...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I don't think scraping into the playoffs and losing in the first round with the highest payroll in the league will be considered a success by anyone's standards, even the casual fan base.

I think ownership has gone above and beyond for this organization. The onus is on management to fulfill reasonable expectations, and so far, they have fallen short considering the resources afforded to them.
    I believe Bez has already commented that anything shy of the MLS Cup this year is considered unacceptable. While I don't necessarily think that, a quick exit from the playoffs would be damaging to the careers of the existing coaching staff given the expenditures of the organization.

It is fascinating to note that depsite our best season ever in terms of results, it still feels like the team has not performed at a high enough standard. With the possible exception of Giovinco.

I suspect Vanney's future will lie in the hands of several key players as to whether they think he performed. My opinion (and just my opinion) this team should be better than their record indicates. They have underperformed looking at the talent available. The lack of a solid back line has plagued this team for 8 years prior to this one, and we're still in the same position, despite having scored more goals than TFC has ever scored in a single season. We have a plus/minus of minus 1. I hope someone answers for that.
    Last edited by CoachGT; 09-22-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way I think Vanney will be secure in his job is if he takes this team to the semis, maybe even the cup final. If the team exits in the first round, then I think management will pick the brains of key players and gauge their opinion on his coaching skills.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    The only way I think Vanney will be secure in his job is if he takes this team to the semis, maybe even the cup final. If the team exits in the first round, then I think management will pick the brains of key players and gauge their opinion on his coaching skills.
    I think this will happen no matter what. Wouldn't surprise me if the reviews aren't that great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think this will happen no matter what. Wouldn't surprise me if the reviews aren't that great.

why wouldn't they be good? He hasn't had a proper backline together all season, and has had to constantly change tactics to make up for the shortcomings of his roster. This team isn't a finished product, but the building blocks are in place for us to make a real push for the title next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Or if Giovinco decides he doesn't like Vanneys tactics and starts suggesting they need an Italian style...
    This would be interesting to see.
    Who could possibly come in, know the league adn players...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney's tactics are part of the reason Giovinco has thrived all season. He's also not the type of guy to try and assert himself over the club like that. Let's stop trying to create controversy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Vanney's tactics are part of the reason Giovinco has thrived all season. He's also not the type of guy to try and assert himself over the club like that. Let's stop trying to create controversy.
    Controversy and scheming are coming, like it or not.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Controversy and scheming are coming, like it or not.

Nature abhors a vacuum.
    Except, you, rightly, were saying that back when TL announced he was leaving and nothing has happened.

I think this team is being judged based on results. Vanney is Bez's guy. If the playoffs don't occur, then those two are gone. But, even a 6th place limp in with a quick exit will mean both survive for another season.

In 2016, expectations will be and should be higher then where we ar now. If we do not finish at least 4th next season, I expect Vanney will be out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Leiweke is going soon, now, I believe. Too much news flow around LA - 2024 Olympics, 3 NFL teams trying to move there ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot be serious.

I will say this, we have done well as a team going forward, and Vanney deserves credit for that. But this is an overstatement. Giovinco would have done well in almost any scheme, as long as he was allowed some freedom.
    Last edited by trane; 09-22-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    you can't play this game in a vacuum. you need players to get you the ball in the right positions, and you're coach to help you put a team out that will play to your strengths. Vanney's done a very good job of that.

I didn't say he was THE reason he has thrived - Seba is obviously the most talented player in the league - but Vanney deserves at least a tiny bit of credit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba will not like all the goals we concede, it is not in his football DNA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Seba will not like all the goals we concede, it is not in his football DNA.
    It's not in any players "DNA" to like conceding goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if we are going to analyze his defensive work, lets see what Vanney put out as our starting defensive lines all season. (left to right)

Morrow Perquis Caldwell Creavalle

Morrow Perquis Caldwell Creavalle

Morgan Simonin Hagglund Creavalle

Morgan Morrow Hagglund Creavalle

Morgan Morrow Perquis Hagglund

Morgan Hagglund Perquis Morrow

Morrow Hagglund Zavaleta Creavalle (Canadian Cup Round 1)

Morgan Zavaleta Perquis Morrow

Morrow Zaveletta Perquis Creavalle

Morrow Zaveletta Perquis Creavalle

Lovitz Perquis Hagglund Morrow

Morgan Perquis Zavaleta Morrow

Morrow Perquis Zavaleta (Columbus 3-5-2)

Morrow Kantari Perquis Jackson

Morrow Kantari Perquis Jackson

Morgan Kantari Zavaleta Jackson

Morgan Kantari Williams Morrow

Morrow Kantari WIlliams Jackson

Lovitz Kantari Williams Morrow

Simonin Williams Zavaleta (Seattle 3-4-3)

Morrow Kantari Perquis Williams Delgado (NER 5-3-2)

Morrow Kantari Williams Delgado

Morrow Perquis Williams Delgado

Biggest thing that stands out for me is no RB.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-22-2015 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure this is a thing anymore. Across series A there is quite the spread in terms of how teams play. Take the Napoli of a couple of years ago vs. Some of the other more cagey teams out there ... Practically no relation between the two.

Let's not forget the attacking style is favourable to his stats as well, regardless of how the team fares. You can critique the defence but a lot of onus is put on getting giovinco the ball and it's been done with a reasonable amount of success.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-22-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why wouldn't they be good? He hasn't had a proper backline together all season, and has had to constantly change tactics to make up for the shortcomings of his roster. This team isn't a finished product, but the building blocks are in place for us to make a real push for the title next year.
    Vanneys teams over parts of two seasons have given up the first goal in the first half in nearly every game. That's a coaching issue, not an injury issue or anything else. It started as soon as he took over versus Philly and hasn't stopped. The nine times it hasn't happened, we have won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Vanneys teams over parts of two seasons have given up the first goal in the first half in nearly every game. That's a coaching issue, not an injury issue or anything else. It started as soon as he took over versus Philly and hasn't stopped. The nine times it hasn't happened, we have won.
    Now on the flip side we've scored 49 goals in 30 games vs. 44 for the entire year (34 games) in 2014. We've also created 51 assists vs. 38 over the same period. Not that I would necessarily conclude Vanney is an effective coach, but the era has some positives. All and all I would say our position in the standings is about fair. We've generally beaten the teams below us and lots to the teams above us (with a few exceptions in either direction).

I'll stand by the theory that momentum at the end of the season is what matters in terms of whether he comes back or not. Otherwise, I think the scouting could stand to get a lot better, but that's mostly on Bez IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not in any players "DNA" to like conceding goals.
    Somehow I don't think Seba's going to be too unhappy with 1) His most productive professional season, ever and 2) His most lucrative professional season ever. Plus, he'll probably win MVP. If he repeats this next year, he knows full well he'll have every professional option in the world.

Dude is probably pretty happy. All markers would suggest so.