0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think this thread may be in overdrive at about 10pm tonight
    From one o'clock....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I missed most of the game, although the part I watched was dire. Bradley in particular was totally awful, but mostly dire because everyone was walking around.

here is what I question: the times we have been effective Morgan was on the left, and morrow on the right. Secondarily, Morrow on the left and Jackson on the right. Delgado is not Jackson. Williams might be. If Morgan and Jackson are truly hurt, we still need the bite of Jackson or Morrow over there. Has to be a hard player on the pitch.

the times we have been effective, Gio has drifted to the left.
    Yet our recent formations push him central

I can't tell you exactly what V is doing wrong. But the record of conceding the first goal in the first half since he started coaching this team is shocking and tells a serious story. Multiple line ups, same basic weakness.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 09-16-2015 at 09:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Jackson can play wide. Vanney chose to not use him there. Also I think wide players weren't addressed because Vanney's various set ups don't use them. Why buy what won't get used?
    Jackson is okay, but you typically give up something with him out there. Wouldn't consider it the strongest option. Definitely would not switch the formation on his account.

Even if we're saying we play narrow, the option aren't all that great. Delgado is a sub and Osorio IMO is treading the line between starter and not. You need more guys who deliver an end product on this team... Full stop.

Lots of players who otherwise look okay but rarely score goals or deliver the final ball.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Jackson is okay, but you typically give up something with him out there. Wouldn't consider it the strongest option. Definitely would not switch the formation on his account.

Even if we're saying we play narrow, the option aren't all that great. Delgado is a sub and Osorio IMO is treading the line between starter and not. You need more guys who deliver an end product on this team... Full stop.

Lots of players who otherwise look okay but rarely score goals or deliver the final ball.
    On this team right now, I'd take Jackson over Osorio or Delgado in a second. He's not the total end product guy but better than what we have right now. And his crossing looked good this year so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio had some great games in the last couple of weeks - this week he was nowhere to be found. Inverted winger in that shoebox? Made no sense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are going to win a couple of games here. We will make the playoffs. Which actually galls me.

We will be the team everyone wants to play in the playoffs. That last week of the season, teams will play starters they should be resting, or tanking, to try to get us.

And there'll be a big "but we made the playoffs!" endzone dance going on. This'll be worse than the time Montreal lay down in Concacaf to screw over Vancouver.

Yay.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fullback situation should be (1) Morgan-Morrow or if Morgan's not available (2) Morrow-Jackson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are going to win a couple of games here. We will make the playoffs. Which actually galls me.

We will be the team everyone wants to play in the playoffs. That last week of the season, teams will play starters they should be resting, or tanking, to try to get us.

And there'll be a big "but we made the playoffs!" endzone dance going on. This'll be worse than the time Montreal lay down in Concacaf to screw over Vancouver.

Yay.
    Sadly, just squeaking into the playoffs will do a lot for this club in terms of general public perception. Even though its a really a hollow victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll go crazy if they fire Vanney and begin a search for a new coach. He stays until we have a much better - proven international level manager. Who in the world thought it a good idea to give a rookie manager who was an assistant manager at bloody Chivas USA the worst franchise in the league - the top job in the team with the biggest payroll in the league? That person should be fired immediately.

I can't see what Vanney brings to the role - the players aren't coming out motivated, they aren't organized, he hasn't got the ego to manage these big DP's - who need a kick in the arse more often than not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a group of Italians waiting to be unleashed as soon as the final whistle is blown on 2015.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There is a group of Italians waiting to be unleashed as soon as the final whistle is blown on 2015.

Funny how many of them mentioned are close to if not over 60.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Sadly, just squeaking into the playoffs will do a lot for this club in terms of general public perception. Even though its a really a hollow victory.
    You're probably right. As it stands today, it looks like we're lined up for a good ass-kicking at DCU in the first playoff game. So we have that going for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to think folks would get the difference between making playoffs in fifth and squeaking through in sixth...but you're probably right. The whole situation is very dispiriting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. There is too much water under the bridge for that, and the underperformance (given the spending) is massive.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought Marc dos Santos would be a good coach to have for TFC. Look at what he's done in two years with the Fury.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay.

*Actual photo from the future- Oct 26th 2015*

I'm on the left so that must be ensco on the right.

But since this is the Vanney thread I'll say we would need another locker room, board room type drama for Vanney to leave before end of season.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did Vanney sub out Warriner and put on Perquis when we were down 2-0?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    *management*

Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 09-17-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I'll go crazy if they fire Vanney and begin a search for a new coach. He stays until we have a much better - proven international level manager. Who in the world thought it a good idea to give a rookie manager who was an assistant manager at bloody Chivas USA the worst franchise in the league - the top job in the team with the biggest payroll in the league? That person should be fired immediately.
    Agreed we need to stop hiring jr. people (the GM isn't any better btw - not sure why he's always getting a pass with people).

I'd be careful with the international manager. This is still a so-so league where guys who are "pros" still need to learn things drilled into world class players well before they show up on the coach's doorstep - the skill set needed here is different.

I'd get someone from a so-so league who speaks Spanish, knows MLS feeders (aka south / Central America), and has an outstanding track record. I've said this before, I'll say it again: using Europe as a primary source for non-DPs is dumb.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've said this before, I'll say it again: using Europe as a primary source for non-DPs is dumb.
    Generally agree but only because we aim for scrubs from good leagues and their cost is up.

I know you could get decent players from lower level Europe for the right price but it would take significant scouting and I am not sure we do any of that beyond Transfer Market and Wiki.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Bez has been really quiet lately.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    GM Bez has been really quiet lately.
    He's mulling over his options. He knows Vanney has crap players for defenders, but Vanney is making even these poor misfits under-perform.

If this was Montreal, Vanney would be already out the door. The "Big Cheese" Joey there doesn't tolerate this level of under-performance. With MLSE under-performance is a way of life, it takes a while (and probably a board resolution) to get rid of someone ( * cough JFJ * * cough * ).

I give Vanney less than 50% chance of staying after the season is over, though, unless things improve--and fast! There are plenty of Italian (and French for that matter) coaches that would love a gig in Toronto. Though quite honestly I would prefer Kreis to just about anyone else. He plays the same style as this team is built for, just with a whole lot more tactical ability, man-management, and just plain acumen.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I give Vanney less than 50% chance of staying after the season is over
    I'm giving him 50/50 to finish the season unless things turn around fast and we take advantage of playing crappy teams at home. I think he is probably 90% gone after the season unless we shockingly make a deep playoff run but I think we all know that isn't going to happen.

Vanney will get thanked for doing the stepping stone thing and they'll say they need an experienced manager to take them to the next level. Cue the Italian guy(s) they have lined up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'm giving him 50/50 to finish the season unless things turn around fast and we take advantage of playing crappy teams at home. I think he is probably 90% gone after the season unless we shockingly make a deep playoff run but I think we all know that isn't going to happen.

Vanney will get thanked for doing the stepping stone thing and they'll say they need an experienced manager to take them to the next level. Cue the Italian guy(s) they have lined up.
    Pretty much. Not sure of the exact odds but I can't say I disagree with your scenario. MLSE has invested so much in this team, no way are they going to let second-rate coaching ruin their "superclub" desires. Vanney someday may be a really good coach (he has the mind for it), but he's not there yet.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The concerning thing is there's no clear direction in which we're heading.

The roster has flaws, everyone knows that. But you would expect a decent manager to do what he can to work around our issues as much as possible and show some improvement as time passes.

We're nearly done the season and we have no identity and no idea what our best XI looks like. There's no discernible system or plan of attack lately. The majority of the season we've been near the bottom of the league in terms of average number of crosses per game: playing down the middle was the idea, and it was working, more or less. 3 weeks ago we beat Montreal 2-1 at home while playing 7 crosses - 7! - in the entire game. Against NYC yesterday we played 23 crosses. I'm willing to give a little leeway because of the width of the pitch there, but against New England on the weekend we lost while playing 34 crosses.

Just compare the stats from the New England and Montreal games. Almost identical: 60% possession vs. 56%, 65 long balls vs. 62, 437 short passes exactly for both. Why are we so drastically changing our behaviour now? Sure, New England defended the middle better and sat back a lot more than Montreal, but that alone doesn't account for such a large difference. If Vanney hasn't told them to make this change I don't understand how he hasn't seen what's going on and taken steps to address it. If he has told them to do it I don't get it at all. You want to play crosses but our best target men are at right mid (Altidore) and on the bench (Moore)?

Giovinco was murdering teams when we were playing the diamond. Vanney's been tinkering with 3 at the back, 4-2-3-1 variations, and Giovinco's been getting less space and receiving the ball in far less dangerous areas. I think there's a correlation there.

I don't even need to get into the defensive issues. It's ridiculous that at this point in the season nobody can say with no doubt what our best back line looks like, and that's completely on Vanney.

I don't know. I saw a lot of good things through the middle of the season. I thought we were working towards something. The last two games have just been so weirdly disappointing. Like we're getting desperate and getting away from what got us a decent amount of success so far.

It hurts to see New England lose 5 straight earlier in the season and now be on a 6 game winning streak, and the entire time using the exact same formation, the exact same back line, more or less the exact same tactics. Instead of panicking when things started going south they stuck to what they knew, worked on the kinks, and now they're rolling. I feel like we're in panic mode now and we need to get back to what worked for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps direction is best left to whatever president MLSE chooses to install. (Why haven't they installed one yet!?) I think the vacuum at the top is why we're struggling now with no vision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The concerning thing is there's no clear direction in which we're heading.

The roster has flaws, everyone knows that. But you would expect a decent manager to do what he can to work around our issues as much as possible and show some improvement as time passes.

We're nearly done the season and we have no identity and no idea what our best XI looks like. There's no discernible system or plan of attack lately. The majority of the season we've been near the bottom of the league in terms of average number of crosses per game: playing down the middle was the idea, and it was working, more or less. 3 weeks ago we beat Montreal 2-1 at home while playing 7 crosses - 7! - in the entire game. Against NYC yesterday we played 23 crosses. I'm willing to give a little leeway because of the width of the pitch there, but against New England on the weekend we lost while playing 34 crosses.

Just compare the stats from the New England and Montreal games. Almost identical: 60% possession vs. 56%, 65 long balls vs. 62, 437 short passes exactly for both. Why are we so drastically changing our behaviour now? Sure, New England defended the middle better and sat back a lot more than Montreal, but that alone doesn't account for such a large difference. If Vanney hasn't told them to make this change I don't understand how he hasn't seen what's going on and taken steps to address it. If he has told them to do it I don't get it at all. You want to play crosses but our best target men are at right mid (Altidore) and on the bench (Moore)?

Giovinco was murdering teams when we were playing the diamond. Vanney's been tinkering with 3 at the back, 4-2-3-1 variations, and Giovinco's been getting less space and receiving the ball in far less dangerous areas. I think there's a correlation there.

I don't even need to get into the defensive issues. It's ridiculous that at this point in the season nobody can say with no doubt what our best back line looks like, and that's completely on Vanney.

I don't know. I saw a lot of good things through the middle of the season. I thought we were working towards something. The last two games have just been so weirdly disappointing. Like we're getting desperate and getting away from what got us a decent amount of success so far.

It hurts to see New England lose 5 straight earlier in the season and now be on a 6 game winning streak, and the entire time using the exact same formation, the exact same back line, more or less the exact same tactics. Instead of panicking when things started going south they stuck to what they knew, worked on the kinks, and now they're rolling. I feel like we're in panic mode now and we need to get back to what worked for us.
    I think us getting burned and totally shut down by the teams who pressed up forced Vanney to switch things up as it scared the hell out him. He has been tinkering ever since and never found an answer but seems reluctant to revert back to the previously successful diamond. I have a feeling he and his staff are of the opinion that by being unpredictable and by switching tactics and formations often they can catch teams off guard and they'll have no way to mark both Giovinco and Altidore out of matches. Trouble is that the main team that gets lost with these changes is our own. Plus his utilization of players is poor. He sets them up to do worse than they should (Altidore mainly). With a sensible coach, our front line should be a handful for anybody almost all of the time but it's inconsistently dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd get someone from a so-so league who speaks Spanish, knows MLS feeders (aka south / Central America), and has an outstanding track record.
    Step forward
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guille...rros_Schelotto

Ex Crew player. Been managing Lanus in Argentina for the last 3 years. Won the Copa Sudamerica with them (SA Europa League).

Advised Argies on moves to MLS (Valeri & Melano)

Good read here http://jugadorfranquicia.com/2014/09...e-mls-someday/

Not too long ago your name was mentioned as a possible coach for Columbus Crew. Did you get a solid offer from the club? Do you see the MLS as a still distant option in your coaching career?
    I received a phone call from the Columbus Crew general manager. They were interested in my situation in Lanús. Well, the team had a new owner. The previous owners were members of the Hunt family and I think (Anthony) Precourt had recently bought the club. I was under contract and could not get out of Lanús, obviously. They never offered me the coach position, (Mark) McCullers just wanted to know what my situation was. I really look forward to the possibility of training an MLS team and I hope I can work there someday. Today I have a contract with Lanús, but I do not rule out the Major League Soccer. As soon as I am available and a MLS club makes me an offer, I will be there. I am not going to speculate, or wait to be again in the MLS at the end of my coaching career. I think of the league as a possibility in the near future.
    Is Columbus Crew the only option for you in the MLS? Or are you willing to listen to offers from other teams?
    Obviously I have a great sense of appreciation and gratitude for Columbus, because they have treated me very well both in the club and the city. But overall the MLS clubs and the people working for them behave according to similar parameters. Any team would be a good option for me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Cause

a) Warner was slightly more doggie doo then Cheyrou and Delgado was more useful going forward

b) Likely starting 4 at the back was going to be that back four of Morrow Perquis Kantari and Williams - get them a few minutes together. Now with there being talk of Kantari getting a suspension, that's likely mute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    This one is on Vanney.
    I am a supporter of Vanney but I agree here......regardless of anything else that went wrong last night, putting Altidore at RM shows a lack of understanding of what a player can contribute. In no universe is Altidore a RM.....that decision was just baffling.....