Page 40 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point. He would be transformative there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still like Bradley, but we need a manager who can get him colouring back inside the lines, so to speak. He's a skilled player, but he tries to do too much sloppy and insane shit, like taking ill-advised shots from 35 yards away. Get a manager who can drill into him exactly what they want from him, and have him stick to that plan.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I still like Bradley, but we need a manager who can get him colouring back inside the lines, so to speak. He's a skilled player, but he tries to do too much sloppy and insane shit, like taking ill-advised shots from 35 yards away. Get a manager who can drill into him exactly what they want from him, and have him stick to that plan.
    This is what we hoped for from the beginning ......is it possible though , Is there a coach who can do this ? His dad is a coach , therefore he isn't unknowledgeable in this partnership . It would solve a huge problem .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need an Italian coach or a Serie A coach. There are lots of managers or even assistants that can coach a proper defence, I just don't think they're in North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mourihno might be available after today. He knows how to organize a defence - that's for sure. There will be no question who has the biggest ego on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that would work too. But something needs to be done. Our last win was without him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I think the problem with Bradley is that he feels that he can do whatever the hell he wants because there isn't a coach who commands respect from a player of Bradley's stature. What incentive is there for Bradley to really listen too a rookie coach who is seemingly over his head and likely won't cut it in this league? Players need discipline to focus and give their best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Mourihno might be available after today. He knows how to organize a defence - that's for sure. There will be no question who has the biggest ego on the team.
    I know you're probably only kidding, but Mourinho's 2015 salary is 18 million Euro. He'd probably want more to come here. It's just a non-starter.

http://en.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/416229.html

Contrast that with half a million per year for Sigi Schmid:
    http://www.soccer-training-info.com/...s_salaries.asp
    Last edited by Super; 10-31-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    You don't need an Italian coach or a Serie A coach. There are lots of managers or even assistants that can coach a proper defence, I just don't think they're in North America.
    What we need is a PROVEN coach with a successful history. That's a minimum. Anything less than that is a potential disaster waiting to happen. Vanney has proven that he is NOT able to fix our defensive problems, and that he is NOT able to motivate the team when it counts. That's all we know about him at this point. He didn't come here with a record of proving that he DOES know how to fix problems. He's a newbie. We did this to ourselves by hiring inexperience - AGAIN! I mean, it blows my mind that some people can't see that hiring inexperience is riskier than hiring someone who has at least proven they can do the job.

If Vanney is fired he'll likely go join the list of former TFC head coaches who never coached before TFC, and didn't coach post-TFC - because NO ONE except us will hire them. Problem is that we don't learn from our mistakes. There's still people on here who argue against experience as if it's meaningless in football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We'd be Chicago.

And Montreal without Drogba? And Seattle without Martins and Dempsey? Its an arguement that means nothing cause the player exists.
    yes one of the most tired arguments.
    This and 'last year we only had 5 play off spots'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I don't give a shit how good he is but I don't want classless scumbags on my team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree & yes Mourihno is the definition of arrogant and a bit of dick. There is no reason that we and other MLS teams shouldn't be playing in the top class when it comes to the world's best coaches. I'd put some serious money up for David Moyes - the key will be to sign a top manager who is willing to commit for at least 3-4 seasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should lure Jurgen Klopp away from Liverpool. Cmon ML$E stop being so stingy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not go after a manager with a good track record from South America? I don't know who this would be, but I bet he'd be more attainable at a fraction of the cost of one from Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Why not go after a manager with a good track record from South America? I don't know who this would be, but I bet he'd be more attainable at a fraction of the cost of one from Europe.
    I want a coach with a proven MLS track record, simple as that. Someone who knows the league and how to play within it.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bribe Robbo from the Caps. I think if TFC doubled his salary and gave Robbo the GM position too, he would dramatically change TFC to a contender. I think Robbo will be gone after next year anyways from MLS, if he continues to succeed. Might as well succeed at TFC with a complete MLSE board of approval. I'm sure Giovinco would think of staying and he'll probably transfer half the veterans for younger, cheaper and good players to make TFC competitive. That's Robbo's strategy and it's paying off well here in MLS

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the 8 coaches still in and all of them are MLS experienced (with the least being Robinson).

Anyways, Robinson isn't coming here as isn't really a stepping stone up to England - success in Vancouver will get him there quicker. That and he has to have younger and cheaper cause of the turf and that team doesn't spend money.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calcio View Post
    He doesn't have to be Italian in terms of nationality - but coaching for a long time in the Italian league would be a huge help. As MikeM said before, there is a certain way of coaching in Italy when it comes to defending that would help TFC perform.

That being said, it isn't blindly picking an Italian-league coach. Picking Zdenek Zeman for the team would make no sense.
    Step in the right direction. Less bias means more options and that's what we need to find someone who'll come here with the right attitude.

Thanks for clarifying.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Need to instill that much earlier. These guys graduate at 22-23 and go to MLS without the understanding of the game.

Personally I find MLS borderline unwatchable because of its slowness.
    NCAA rules need to change. Right now, they can sub in and out whenever, so their players just run constantly at their man mark instead of keeping shape. That's why MLS is so chaotic; no on marks people out of the play, no one moves as a full-field unit. It's just constant pressure; it's why when a team like Man Utd takes a friendly against Seattle seriously, they destroy them. Because a disciplined tactical team will just run the ball around the field until their chicken-with-their-heads-off opponents run out of gas.

It's like dink tennis. It can be hard to beat if you're not playing at a high level. If you are, you just kill them with net play.

I agree with the Italian coaching idea, but it's nothing to do with citizenship: The Italian league has been financially gutted. Combine that with the fact that they've always favored defensive shape and counterattack, and you have teams having to do far more with far less money.

But any league with more limited finances and higher draws is probably a good place to find a coach: Switzerland, Japan, Turkey, Argentina, Brazil.

They key, to me, isn't getting a great tactical coach; Aaron Winter had them moving better than any of his predecessors. It's also being enough of a motivator and disciplinarian that you cut out as many stupid mistakes as possible.

I actually think maybe Vanney just isn't smart enough. There were times when we obviously move the ball with more pace and precision, and when we were concentrating on using our skilled spine, we were a far more dangerous team than when we played wide. ANd yet he made the classic rookie coaching mistake of continually trying to outcouch the other team with adaptive formations instead of small adjustments to their own game and shape. So we lacked cohesion constantly. To me, this is something even a friggin Football Manager fan knows will not work.

Having said that, I don't think Jason Kreis or Mike Petke would be any better. Neither strikes me as both intelligent and dominant enough to control the room. The latter, maybe, but not hte former. That's why they got rid of Petke in NY and brought in Jesse Marsh. They knew Petke was not smart enough to survive without Thierry Henry setting up two-out-of-three goals.

If we can't get a better, experienced coach, then I say we keep Vanney. But I figure his job hangs by the thread of availability and Bez's offseason moves.

To me, the bigger issue now is why Bezbatchenko has a job. The successful player he signed, Giovinco, was already a renowned player. In Bradley, he brought in a player too aggressive and self-confident for a milquetoast like Vanney to handle; in Altidore, he brought in a player who has given up being anything but a hold-up man and poacher, despite his potential. And the less said about his defensive picks, the better. Perhaps the fact that he was a USL defender has given him a false sense of security that he knows a good defender when he sees one.

We need someone who understands not only talent and pedigree, but CONSISTENCY and intelligence, are key to who you sign. Kantari and Perquis were coming off strings of failures, with one crocked and not playing even before he was crocked (Perquis) and the other anchoring one of the worst defenses in the French first division right into relegation. What about that didn't send off alarms?

I've afraid his law degree and glasses have given Bez an aura of "smartest guy in the room" to the folks at MLSE. But it's clear from his haphazard choices that he isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I just think people (fans, reporters, everyone really) have weird unconscious biases about ....
    Almost everything they do and say, ever. Seriously. I can get into the neuroscience of bias, but neurotypical (non-autistic) people make most of their decisions without thinking about them rationally, most of the time. The human brain is wired to be insecure and unhappy without a constant stream of self-delusion about the world around them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, this, absolutely. His lack of discipline ruined his efficacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    This is what we hoped for from the beginning ......is it possible though , Is there a coach who can do this ? His dad is a coach , therefore he isn't unknowledgeable in this partnership . It would solve a huge problem .
    THe most successful teams in the league this season, NY Red Bulls and Dallas, had the two lowest payrolls. MLS coaches are a lot more effective when they don't have multiple players on their roster who believe they would be better coaches, because they are better players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I want a coach with a proven MLS track record, simple as that. Someone who knows the league and how to play within it.
    Zambrano wants back in. Don't know whether his MLS 1.0 experience is good enough anymore. Certainly has always done well.

But I'd take a gunslinger like Osieck who is used to getting the most out of the least and is a huge hardhead. Michael Bradley doesn't mean shit to him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, this, absolutely. His lack of discipline ruined his efficacy.
    I think the rush to call this "his team" contributed to the problem. He needs to be a polished cog inside a better machine, and not one man running around trying to be the savior of "his team". It's clear he can't handle it. Hell, we even played better towards the end of the season when he wasn't in the lineup, which just says everything about the impact he was having on our overall flow.

I think Seba and Bradley can be the core of a really, really good MLS team. I'm less convinced with Altidore. Of course, he was only brought in as a patchwork resolution to the "Defoe Problem" in the first place - not because he was exactly what we needed.

Priority one this winter, needs to be finding better defenders. Priority two, I'm sorry to say, might be finding a manager better suited to our players. I've no idea who that would be.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the rush to call this "his team" contributed to the problem. He needs to be a polished cog inside a better machine, and not one man running around trying to be the savior of "his team". It's clear he can't handle it. Hell, we even played better towards the end of the season when he wasn't in the lineup, which just says everything about the impact he was having on our overall flow.

I think Seba and Bradley can be the core of a really, really good MLS team. I'm less convinced with Altidore. Of course, he was only brought in as a patchwork resolution to the "Defoe Problem" in the first place - not because he was exactly what we needed.

Priority one this winter, needs to be finding better defenders. Priority two, I'm sorry to say, might be finding a manager better suited to our players. I've no idea who that would be.
    At any given time, there are a hell of a lot more unemployed (or underemployed) coaches than employed. It shouldn't be that hard. Then again, neither should be checking player pedigrees.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..But I'd take a gunslinger like Osieck who is used to getting the most out of the least and is a huge hardhead. Michael Bradley doesn't mean shit to him.
    We've discussed why Osieck will never work in Toronto (his comments about women). In an organization that had a major press issue at the first home game with FHRITP, its not even a question.

Find somebody younger and like him and that would work.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THe most successful teams in the league this season, NY Red Bulls and Dallas, had the two lowest payrolls. MLS coaches are a lot more effective when they don't have multiple players on their roster who believe they would be better coaches, because they are better players.
    This unfortunately has been my gut feeling always with Bradley but I've always wanted to be proven wrong . The facts as per Dallas and NYRB's very informative, but is it enough to form a pattern in building future winners ? Especially after our love affair with high cost but totally enjoyable Seba .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    This unfortunately has been my gut feeling always with Bradley but I've always wanted to be proven wrong . The facts as per Dallas and NYRB's very informative, but is it enough to form a pattern in building future winners ? Especially after our love affair with high cost but totally enjoyable Seba .
    Dallas and NYRB have an identity and a plan they want to execute.

I haven't seen any from TFC other than throw some money at some good players and hope something works out
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Dallas and NYRB have an identity and a plan they want to execute.

I haven't seen any from TFC other than throw some money at some good players and hope something works out
    so is the answer to have the man throwing all $$$ , be much more researched and effective in trying to have successful 'money ' players and the coach simply knows the routine ? ....that said we're still in a fix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting point - I think there is likely more depth in the team with avoiding DP's. I also think motivating the entire team would be easier and you would get more cohesiveness.

It seems everyone wants to change out everyone of our defence. IMO that would be about the worst thing we could do. Stability at the back especially if you aren't able to sign the best players is even more important ..giving them time to work together and learn the system. TFC's biggest problem is defending from midfield and the lack of a cohesive system of any sort. With no defensive strength in the mid-field our journeymen back 4 have no chance. Watched both Vancouver and Montreal's games today - TFC has long way to go to catch up. Problem with TFC is that progress is not inevitable - in fact it would be an exception.