Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1738
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Gosh that sounds bitter. I'm wondering how people on here would take the meltdown that is happening in Dallas right now.
    Bitter, pissed, Internet will take it whatever way the reader wants to. We are currently beating a dead horse. He's here for now, let's move on. Stating that your son sold him skates, is not a valid indicator he's staying, it's an indicator that he likes to skate. But it was also sarcasm... ��.

Meltdowns happen... Look at our final 2 games of the season... ��

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    OMG, Vanney bought skates, totally means he's staying..... /end sarcasm
    Not like they don't have rinks any where else in the world...

This post is like saying, I saw him buying groceries, he's gotta be staying...

It's been made clear that he's staying, just depends on how long until his tactics make him fall flat on his face again.

Mans gotta eat, man's gotta skate bud.
    Chill buddy... Posted for shits and giggles not serious stress
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Grade A creeper pic, thank you.
    Where's the like button?? 8-)
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Chill buddy... Posted for shits and giggles not serious stress
    Don't worry dude, not stressed, as I stated in the reply and to Ogs post it was sarcasm.

But out on a serious note, if your son had asked him, he probably would have taken a photo with him...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Ill give you that .....I'm just not sure how long of a snails pace with questionable players and decisions we can be expected to wait . He gets Gomez and basically never uses him , his main substation is defenders or mids . He has forgotten Morgan which would have forwarded the ball and crossed to Gio ......please someone realize Gio is the team and not Bradley ! That is our main problem . We actually play better without Bradley as a team . Vanney for his intelligent view of the game has been out coached many games . So be it . I'm simply so afraid we will be in the same place next year and heaven forbid we have Moore, Findley , etc, overpaid and really would not play as starters on any other team . I love exciting soccer regardless of win or lose . With all the crap we are now getting AND paying for with A$$$s , We better have something happening on the pitch this year or it very well may determine our deserved rep as a franchise . Simply the worst in MLS . I may be wrong but I need a reason to be hopefull .
    Every coach has their favourites. You will always have good players who get neglected and the odd questionable choice in the starting XI, happens with every coach no matter what the pedigree.

I hope next year turns out well, some of that will depend on what Bez does in the off-season (trade freeze comes off after the MLS Cup, I believe).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Every coach has their favourites. You will always have good players who get neglected and the odd questionable choice in the starting XI, happens with every coach no matter what the pedigree.

I hope next year turns out well, some of that will depend on what Bez does in the off-season (trade freeze comes off after the MLS Cup, I believe).
    Looks like a great off-season, so far.

Again, I believe that Vanney will be given the chance this season. He has the tools that he needs. If he doesn't do well Kreis may end up being our next coach.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a great off-season, so far.

Again, I believe that Vanney will be given the chance this season. He has the tools that he needs. If he doesn't do well Kreis may end up being our next coach.
    I think our opening road trip, no matter how many games, plus our first home match or two is his marker. I'd say he has probably around 10 matches to show that he can turn around our back line. I just hope the brain trust doesn't get lulled into stupidity based on just pure results. With our squad we could manage to win a few and draw a few with ugly numbers like last year (4-3, 3-2, etc.) and still not have the real problems addressed. That's the double edged sword of having guys like Seba and Altidore on the squad. Sometimes our offense can give us a false sense of security just like it did last year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think our opening road trip, no matter how many games, plus our first home match or two is his marker. I'd say he has probably around 10 matches to show that he can turn around our back line. I just hope the brain trust doesn't get lulled into stupidity based on just pure results. With our squad we could manage to win a few and draw a few with ugly numbers like last year (4-3, 3-2, etc.) and still not have the real problems addressed. That's the double edged sword of having guys like Seba and Altidore on the squad. Sometimes our offense can give us a false sense of security just like it did last year.

I think most people knew we had a backline issue. Right from the first game when we had to shift our entire strategy to compensate for Caldwell getting consistently school by the Vancouver forwards.

We will know for sure during the pre-season whether the guys we have can do the job.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I think most people knew we had a backline issue. Right from the first game when we had to shift our entire strategy to compensate for Caldwell getting consistently school by the Vancouver forwards.

We will know for sure during the pre-season whether the guys we have can do the job.
    I think it will not be until a few games into the season that we'll really know. At least some gelling is required.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think it will not be until a few games into the season that we'll really know. At least some gelling is required.
    You should be able to tell earlier than that if any of these guys are capable of organizing a back line. It's pretty easy to see if a backline is being managed vs not. There are a lot of signs that should be present if it's being organized.

I'm not saying they will be perfect, but there are things that need to be happening right off the bat. If they are not, then gelling won't happen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be able to tell earlier than that if any of these guys are capable of organizing a back line. It's pretty easy to see if a backline is being managed vs not. There are a lot of signs that should be present if it's being organized.

I'm not saying they will be perfect, but there are things that need to be happening right off the bat. If they are not, then gelling won't happen.
    Well if you see both FBs bombing so far up field that they can't recover like what happened most of last season then you know it's a continuation of Vanney-Ball and we are done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the defensive issues were about much more than just the back line. Tactics, "squirrel chasing nuts" midfielders, far too aggressive use of fullbacks, Seba and Jozy not doing much defensively, etc etc

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our use of fullbacks was on par with the rest of the league. We were no more aggressive then CBus, for example. And this isn't going to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    the defensive issues were about much more than just the back line. Tactics, "squirrel chasing nuts" midfielders, far too aggressive use of fullbacks, Seba and Jozy not doing much defensively, etc etc
    exactly, we did not defend from the front at all. Montreal game where Bradley lost the ball at the edge of their box and Bernier broke away and scored is a classic example of that. The coverage in mid from Cheyrou and co was non existent.Other examples were Findley leaving his full back horribly exposed in that same game. I think that game possibly moreso than any highlighted our need for a quality disclipined defensive midfielder, as he would not only plug the gaps in mid but offer protection to the backline that was missing last season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do squirrels chase nuts? Don't they just grab them?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Do squirrels chase nuts? Don't they just grab them?

HaHa! Yes, I borrowed that phrase from someone's post, and you are right, it doesn't stand up to analysis. But at first blush it nicely describes the licence Vanney gives to Bradley to roam....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HaHa! Yes, I borrowed that phrase from someone's post, and you are right, it doesn't stand up to analysis. But at first blush it nicely describes the licence Vanney gives to Bradley to roam....
    it was me and it's more like Bradley dictating to Vanney how he's going to play
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately, you are right. Sums up a lot of problems right there.

great image, btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but bradley doesn't dictate to vanney how he's going to play. I don't think there's debate over whether Vanney is getting the most available out of bradley given the qualities and attributes of the rest of the squad. Vanney's been rightly questioned at times, but certainly this is one place where there's no doubt over Vanney's competency.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know if what you described were tactical decisions. I saw a lot of guys just doing things spur of the moment.

I saw Bradley doing way too much, causing the other midfielders to kind of watch and figure out how to compensate. There is no way he was told to do some of the crap he did last season in a tactical session. Because of that, I saw fullbacks not really knowing what to do - it was more hesitation than not being told how to play. There was a lack of understanding on where they should be in some of the most basic scenarios as midfielders were moving.

At what point should a professional footballer know what his role is and not have to be told where and when to be at every junction of the match?

On that note though - I do agree there were tactical issues with the club and Vanney is definitely the guy to point fingers at. But I feel like the players lack of basic understanding of the game emphasized those deficiencies more than it should've been.

A backline general should rectify a large part of these issues. Someone to organize the defensive formation and make sure it isn't compromised for the sake of attack.

Someone to tell Bradley to fuck off and move back into his space. Someone to hold back the wide defenders from making stupid runs. Someone to call a midfielder back before the ball is turned over and are facing a counter attack. Someone to coordinate a full defensive formation and have them ready to turn and attack.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 12-23-2015 at 10:36 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    but bradley doesn't dictate to vanney how he's going to play. I don't think there's debate over whether Vanney is getting the most available out of bradley given the qualities and attributes of the rest of the squad. Vanney's been rightly questioned at times, but certainly this is one place where there's no doubt over Vanney's competency.
    I don't have proof, but Bradley does whatever hell he wants on the pitch and no disciple of Bruce Arena will allow such chaos in the midfield. There is no discipline in what Bradley does. Nor does the midfield keep shape (despite what Vanney preaches). It's like everyone else knows their role, except Bradley doing his own thing. (well, so does Seba, but he's allowed a free role)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what people mean but we've seen midfields that don't keep shape for most of TFC's existance. Last year looked robotically controlled compared to the past.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.facebook.com/nycfconline...5837367935231/

A bit off topic, but this is a brilliant video of Thierry Henry explaining Pep Guardiola's tactics at Barca. And more importantly, Guardiola having balls to take Henry off if he didn't follow the manager's instructions.

Does Vanney have the balls to bench Bradley if he didn't do what he's told?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A bit off topic, but this is a brilliant video of Thierry Henry explaining Pep Guardiola's tactics at Barca. And more importantly, Guardiola having balls to take Henry off if he didn't follow the manager's instructions.

Not off topic at all.
    The biggest point he makes IMO is that you keep your position until you get to the final third - once in the final third, you have the freedom to be creative.

Stay in your positions until you get into the final third. Defence and Midfield are about discipline and moving the ball in a structured and smart way - once in the final third, that is when you can be creative. Losing the ball in the final third is not as detrimental as losing it in the 2/3rds leading up there. It's simple fucking football.

Bradley is horrible at doing that last year. He was all over the place causing other players to try and figure out where to be and what to do.
    I hope vanney doesn't let him do that on purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Vanney was as good as guardiola he wouldn't be here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if what you described were tactical decisions. I saw a lot of guys just doing things spur of the moment.

I saw Bradley doing way too much, causing the other midfielders to kind of watch and figure out how to compensate. There is no way he was told to do some of the crap he did last season in a tactical session. Because of that, I saw fullbacks not really knowing what to do - it was more hesitation than not being told how to play. There was a lack of understanding on where they should be in some of the most basic scenarios as midfielders were moving.

At what point should a professional footballer know what his role is and not have to be told where and when to be at every junction of the match?

On that note though - I do agree there were tactical issues with the club and Vanney is definitely the guy to point fingers at. But I feel like the players lack of basic understanding of the game emphasized those deficiencies more than it should've been.

A backline general should rectify a large part of these issues. Someone to organize the defensive formation and make sure it isn't compromised for the sake of attack.

Someone to tell Bradley to fuck off and move back into his space. Someone to hold back the wide defenders from making stupid runs. Someone to call a midfielder back before the ball is turned over and are facing a counter attack. Someone to coordinate a full defensive formation and have them ready to turn and attack.
    an example of Vanneys tactics was continuing to have Jackson play up against Montreal in the playoff when they started exploiting the space behind him in the first game. An example of his selections was picking Findley - Jackson on the right in the playoff game when it should have been Warner Jackson or Jackson Morrow, both of which combinations are and were less vulnerable to that particular tactic.

and if players are consistently not doing what they are asked, that's a coaching issue too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    if Vanney was as good as guardiola he wouldn't be here.
    Coaching players to play their positions and benching them if they do not are concepts common to coaching at all levels, or should be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coaching players to play their positions and benching them if they do not are concepts common to coaching at all levels, or should be.
    And then there's what is happening in LA and at NYCFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good debate here... I agree that we are too focussed on the weakness of our back four and avoiding the real issue of the defensive weakness of our mid-field. Bradley really is the key issue, he is not a box - box midfielder and doesn't have great shooting ability. Often reminded me of Julian Deguzman this season with his shooting from distance. He should have been pulled from several games this year and when TFC was doing better without him - he should have had to fight for his place. I have no doubt he is an excellent player - but he needs to be given a role in strategy defined by Vanney. Last year it should have been as the DM-destroyer type role which he can do well - if not burdened with everything else. If Vanney can't sort that out we need a new coach. I am optimistic that these additions can adress this & while I know Johnson isn't a true DM - I do think he is a real positive competitor who won't accept losing. That is something that TFC needs more than anything. To me bringing him in may be a sign for a different role for Bradley. Really looking forward to next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Good debate here... I agree that we are too focussed on the weakness of our back four and avoiding the real issue of the defensive weakness of our mid-field. Bradley really is the key issue, he is not a box - box midfielder and doesn't have great shooting ability. Often reminded me of Julian Deguzman this season with his shooting from distance. He should have been pulled from several games this year and when TFC was doing better without him - he should have had to fight for his place. I have no doubt he is an excellent player - but he needs to be given a role in strategy defined by Vanney. Last year it should have been as the DM-destroyer type role which he can do well - if not burdened with everything else. If Vanney can't sort that out we need a new coach. I am optimistic that these additions can adress this & while I know Johnson isn't a true DM - I do think he is a real positive competitor who won't accept losing. That is something that TFC needs more than anything. To me bringing him in may be a sign for a different role for Bradley. Really looking forward to next season.
    Brdley was hands down one of the best 10-15 players in the league this season. he's not the problem.