Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Yeah, for my money, struggling or not Altidore needs to be up top as the CF, it creates space and a fulcrum for Gio to play from.
    totally agree.....Altidore is only a Forward/Striker......he lacks any of the skills offensively and responsibility defensively to play anywhere else......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of our defensive problem will go away with a proper DM. You drill your back 4, GK and DM into a cohesive unit and even a bunch of avg defenders will do better.

Yes our current crop of CBs can do better. But it's the lack of shield in front in form of a defensive DM that's hurting us the most esp getting counter attacked bc our mids want to try to push forward too much.

Cheyrou is turning out to be a good but still poor man's version of Pirlo. We need a Laba or Alonso.
    A high quality DM has to be the highest priority off season. All good MLS has a good DM as key player
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    A lot of our defensive problem will go away with a proper DM. You drill your back 4, GK and DM into a cohesive unit and even a bunch of avg defenders will do better.

Yes our current crop of CBs can do better. But it's the lack of shield in front in form of a defensive DM that's hurting us the most esp getting counter attacked bc our mids want to try to push forward too much.

Cheyrou is turning out to be a good but still poor man's version of Pirlo. We need a Laba or Alonso.
    A high quality DM has to be the highest priority off season. All good MLS has a good DM as key player
    If our sweet sweet TAM isn't spent on a DM i'll scream blue bloody murder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez should push hard for Oriol Rosell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number one target without a doubt but it's going to be difficult to find someone who is both a known quantity and an upgrade. Probably not difficult to find someone not currently in MLS, but that is a gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this, we need to figure out our best back 4, we need to try to play them as much as reasonably possible as a unit-together with ONE or TWO solid DMs. I think that we have some players that could be good DMs but they need to play together for stretch of games with only marginal adjustments to the system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big issue too is IF Kantari and Perquis cannot make the cut in this league how do we rid of their contracts. Might have been easier to adapt these guys if Caldwell had stepped down sooner rather than sticking around for 13 games he didnt play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I am not sure that Kantari and Perquis cannot do better, if they have the right system. Perquis has been mistake prone, but I think that at least some of it, is because he is under pressure due to systemic problems, having said that the most necessary trait for a cb is to stay cool under pressure and do the least risky thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to this thread, his job was 100% secure at 44th minute. But after that goal allowed, he should be fired immediately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    According to this thread, his job was 100% secure at 44th minute. But after that goal allowed, he should be fired immediately

LOL....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Food for thought , remove Gio from the picture , how would Vanney look then ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove kamara from Cbus, remove Keane from La, Oba from Seattle, Castillo, Piatti, Nguyen, etc...
    Every team in MLS is significantly worse without their star player(s).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney seemed to get most of it correct today, including formation. But it's a bit like he is trying to fit in all our best players. For example, Delgado/Osorio/Warner/Findley should be competing for the same positions, not playing at RB. For me, he should be thinking a bit more about the best team. When they are available, for me it's Morrow and Morgan at fullback, or Morrow and Jackson. That's when we played our best. But it would be unfair to criticize today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Vanney seemed to get most of it correct today, including formation. But it's a bit like he is trying to fit in all our best players. For example, Delgado/Osorio/Warner/Findley should be competing for the same positions, not playing at RB. For me, he should be thinking a bit more about the best team. When they are available, for me it's Morrow and Morgan at fullback, or Morrow and Jackson. That's when we played our best. But it would be unfair to criticize today.
    Never thought I'd say this but Jackson now is a difference maker . We miss his edge and speed .

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Remove kamara from Cbus, remove Keane from La, Oba from Seattle, Castillo, Piatti, Nguyen, etc...
    Every team in MLS is significantly worse without their star player(s).
    Respectfully , most of those mention have more balanced talent , better home grown players AND tactically efficient coaches able to react accordingly . From the mid back it's simply mayhem with us . PS it's starting to wear on Gio now too .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Respectfully , most of those mention have more balanced talent , better home grown players AND tactically efficient coaches able to react accordingly . From the mid back it's simply mayhem with us . PS it's starting to wear on Gio now too .

L.A. had a horrid two month stretch earlier in the year without keane and Seattle lost 7 of 8 straight without Martins. They're no different than us without their DP's.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Seattle didn't win squat without Oba, for months
    Kamara has 10(?) game winning goals for Crew, as well as 8 assists
    Keane has 15 goals for LA
    and so on...

the he grass is always greener on the other side, but if anybody takes a really close look at ANY MLS squad, you'd see that each team has 1 or 2 players they rely upon, and couldn't compete the same without.

Either way, this is a silly topic, since Seba IS on the team...
    Last edited by Ivy; 09-20-2015 at 01:21 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you look at the standings, we have 1 less win then everybody above us. Ties be the difference between 1st and 5th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ But that was what I was pointing out earlier on, when gio and company are on fire then we will get points, mostly wins, but we cannot get those ties because we cannot win with one goal, forget getting a 0-0 draw. I love that we grinned it out in the second half. You need to be able to win long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

Wow, what an insightful comment. You must have read this thread very carefully, and followed the season very closely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A solid stretch closing the season can get us not only in a good position, but in good form to hit the post season. I am still hopeful, as I said, as much as it is frustrating that Vanney has not resolved the defensive problems, he has done some good things in many aspects of our game, so I still have some home he will sort it out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope he can right the ship enough to at least give us a shot at a home playoff date. He may be able to but he and the team are so inconsistent.

Regardless, I think he will be replaced in the off season, most likely by an Italian dude, unless something magical happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    L.A. had a horrid two month stretch earlier in the year without keane and Seattle lost 7 of 8 straight without Martins. They're no different than us without their DP's.
    not disagreeing

My point in all of this can Vanney win with an average squad , by superior tactics . I do not see him adapting as I thought ihe would . He seems to have a plan and is not adaptable to on field realities . EG any coach worth his salt would use the best assist in MLS Gio and specifically bend over backwards for him , (not M. Bradley), yes I know it is not always right but in our case we may never have another Gio again . And please yes we NEED a strong back 4 and DM but it's not going to happen , at the moment .

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has actually developed quite a lot tactically, though he's inconsistent. He hasn't been able to fix the defense, but I refuse to believe that some of the really bone-headed moves they make, like passing in front of our goal, are anything other than stupid panic under pressure. That should have been coached out of them BEFORE they became pros. It's going to be Bez's job to fix our D, starting with a solid DM.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-20-2015 at 08:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also noticed that after Vanney said "Sometimes you just have to hoof it and reset your defence" that we did that a lot more this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Vanney has actually developed quite a lot tactically, though he's inconsistent. He hasn't been able to fix the defense, but I refuse to believe that some of the really bone-headed moves they make, like passing in front of our goal, are anything other than stupid panic under pressure. That should have been coached out of them BEFORE they became pros. It's going to be Bez's job to fix our D, starting with a solid DM.
    something like three out of every four games under Vanney we have given up the first goal, in the first half. Sorry, but that isn't individual mistakes. It's coaching, tactics, and formation.

i agree he is showing signs of learning, but until we go ten games where this statistic is reversed, he hasn't fixed the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can discount the fact that we've had 80 billion back 4 combinations this year both due to injury and due to guys sucking. The personnel issue at the back is one that is difficult to fix with tactics. Until you have 2 primary CBs that develop a good working relationship together, you're going to have a tough time. No to mention having now RB.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/...d-more-week-29

Some interesting analysis on tfc tactics
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only 6 more games to go in the vanney-bez era ... thank god

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    only 6 more games to go in the vanney-bez era ... thank god