Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Vanney Era Deathwatch Thread

Sorry but it had to be done.

I won't go over all of the problems and reasons why Vanney should be sacked because there are enough posts in the past few match day threads already. I will hold that until I get more ammunition this evening and start fresh tomorrow or tonight if it's bad enough.

Regardless, I looked at our schedule and the way we are playing coupled with the fact that it will apparently take time to learn to win at home and I would be surprised (barring a huge turnaround in form) that we don't have a new manager by the June 20th home date against NYCFC. It isn't a stretch to see us walk away from those previous four fixtures with nothing or even a point or two only.

NE - Away
    Portland - Home
    S.J - Home
    D.C - Away

Without some drastic changes in tactics and form I don't see us getting through this stretch with much and I can't see Vanney having that long a leash.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 05-13-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it does, I don't think it happens till the offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not until Bradley says so

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say I like seeing this thread. I hope I'm not alone.

But godamnit I have a mind to search and merge into Super Duper TFC ALL TIME COACH DEATHWATCH THREAD. It may have a chance to be the biggest thread ever. Unfortunately.

Carry on...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a bit early for a Vanney thread, but I think merging all the coach deathwatch threads into one would be most enlightening. I can imagine seeing a comment pattern forming like a wave, crashing against the shore of the firing event, then sliding back into the forum ocean to reform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    And Bradley has Tim B on a leash too, so the replacement will just be another twit that Bradley can control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    dad where are you...we need you,we dont know how to play at home..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I can't say I like seeing this thread. I hope I'm not alone.
    I don't like it either but I called it last year and Vanney isn't doing anything to show that he is up to snuff. Like I said before, we have a carousel position for managers because we never hire the right (experienced) guy in the first place. Until we get that right we're always damned to fail.

In the past we've tried different philosophies, rolled the whole squad over, spent big bucks on DPs and always ended up short or just shit. Only common variable is our insistence to hire newbs to manage the squad. So why not try to do something about that too? Unless of course we prefer to wait and see if Vanney can all of a sudden change the fortunes of the squad but our history should let us know what will eventually happen.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 05-13-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't lie, was just thinking about this very topic...I see I'm not alone in that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't like it either but I called in last year and Vanney isn't doing anything to show that he is up to snuff. Like i said before, we have a carousel position of manager because we never hire the right (experienced) guy in the first place. Until we get that right we're always damned to fail.

In the past we've tried different philosophies, rolled the whole squad over, spent big bucks on DPs and always ended up short or just shit. Only common variable is our insistence to hire newbs to manage the squad. So why not try to do something about that too?
    You realize I wasn't disagreeing with the threads worth. Just lamenting the fact its an annual event, right?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    And Bradley has Tim B on a leash too, so the replacement will just be another twit that Bradley can control.
    Or his father...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still hoping that a new team president is hired and if changes are part of that, they are done in an orderly and up front manner.

Hey, it's possible!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised this thread came so late, after that piss poor performance at home you have to wonder how long he's got. The 10 games rule doesn't apply to this season, but after about 5 or so more homes games we will know what this team is about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    You realize I wasn't disagreeing with the threads worth. Just lamenting the fact its an annual event, right?
    I do and I was agreeing with you even though it may have come off wrong.

I am upset that upper management keeps hiring inexperienced managers that make this happen. Not sure I can stomach another full lost season with Vanney after what happened at the end of last year. With Giovinco and Altidore plus the renos at BMO it would be such a waste and very disheartening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the "stability" camp for a while but frankly he should be getting more out of this team considering the players we have. Dump him now, hell put Fraser in as interim as we shop for a real coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and i think you can add TIM B to the watch..its easy to get 6 MIL players..its the 150k players that make your team,and he has yet to pull a rabbit out of a hat...he could not get any help at the deadline last year and we are weak on d and we have no wingers..he is way over his head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One day we will start this type of thread and literally the manager will have a heart attack and die the next day and we will really regret the wording!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    One day we will start this type of thread and literally the manager will have a heart attack and die the next day and we will really regret the wording!
    Hey don't look at me. I stole the name from jloome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me he was done when I heard the learning to win at home thing. If Bez was for real and stuck to the principals that he outlined during Nelsen's sacking then that excuse would have sunk Vanney right there.

From that I lost almost all faith in Bez too. I heard no one from TFC comment regarding this with anything better than more excuses so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People tend to see these threads as either

enlightened reason vs.

or

vs. enlightened reason

depending upon your view.

The debates are always interesting.

For posterity's sake, Nelsen was fired on August 31, Winter on June 7, Carver quit on April 25 and Preki was fired on Sept. 14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very conflicted on this.

I’ve defended Vanney here and on twitter a lot and really want him to work out but as of today he really hasn’t shown me or anyone jack shit.

TFC as a club keep getting managerial appointments wrong and there is zero to suggest that should they fire Vanney they would get right the next appointment right. Just like there is nothing to suggest, right now, that sticking with Vanney will bear fruit.

Another thing that worries me is that if Vanney goes presumably Bez has to go. If those two go what happens with the scouting dept, the data and analytics dept, the academy, TFC II etc. If Bez and Vanney go, you need a coach/GM/Prez coming in that can continue with all the work they have been doing with that side of things.

I’m probably over thinking this. Vanney and Bez should probably go due to lack of results given the financial outlay but I just worry that when that happens it’ll lead to a whole new cycle of dysfunction with the club and we’ll never truly get anywhere.

None of what I’ve typed really says anything but there ya go

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just like to mention, I would find it really silly to sack Vanney & hire a new coach shortly before Leiweke is replaced. Sets up for the next coach firing/hiring a few months later, and lets us uselessly churn through an additional dozen or two players in the meantime.

But since it's silly, TFC will probably do it, especially if we & the media bray about it loud enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight, and, Saturday will tell the tale for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I would just like to mention, I would find it really silly to sack Vanney & hire a new coach shortly before Leiweke is replaced. Sets up for the next coach firing/hiring a few months later, and lets us uselessly churn through an additional dozen or two players in the meantime.

But since it's silly, TFC will probably do it, especially if we & the media bray about it loud enough.
    You are assuming TL's replacement will care enough about TFC to bother making changes. Or even know enough about 'soccer' to make that call.

This possible new president is the real story. I wouldn't hire a manager before settling on that position but I think they may have done that already. Plus it fits the MLSE (not TFC) way of doing things. Get a Shannahan or Masai to head what they don't understand and let him do the hands on operations stuff while reporting back to the brass. I expect that to happen but if it delays until say September and we're middling along with Vanney then how to you think public perception of the franchise will be then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC needs to hire a President ASAP who should be tasked with making the decisions, not Tim B. Otherwise it will be another 'political', and not a 'business' decision by Tim B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching Sunday's game, the performance of the team looked like Nelson was still there. The personnel management of the right back position in the first few games was the first yellow card for Vanney and he should have received a second one for the teams performance in the home opener. End of story. If TFC loses tonight and there is a significant drop off in attendance at the next home game, Vanney and maybe Bez are done like dinner. Also Bradley, the clock might start ticking on your TFC watch to!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want vanney to go, but please let it be at end of season and only if we have somone better lined up immediately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fucking stupid and exactly the reason why coaches never get a chance here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Also Bradley, the clock might start ticking on your TFC watch to!
    I think we overstate that Vanney is Bradley's guy. I don't think that's the case at all. I think Bradley wants to win but knows our manager is a boob so he tosses in his 2 cents and tries to help. The most damning thing about Vanney is that he listens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    This is fucking stupid and exactly the reason why coaches never get a chance here.
    Honestly, a manager/head coach from almost any team with winning as a priority in any league or sport would have been fired with the run of results we've had. Hockey, Baseball, Rugby, anything. It's not like we're trotting out a Chivas line up where it could be forgiven or have a full on youth movement going, we are supposedly built to win. Not only are we not winning at an acceptable clip but we are playing terribly while doing it. Terrible in all facets to.

I refuse to be all 'ho hum' like Vanney is over it. I read that Davidson article during lunch and it's more of the same from him. Talking about us needing to play differently at home than on the road and be more attacking. He says it like he's a spectator, like us. Whose job is it to make sure our squad is performing properly anyway? Is it Vanney's? Doesn't sound like it from his interviews.