Page 26 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ...If this was Montreal, Vanney would be already out the door. The "Big Cheese" Joey ...
    That way lies madness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think us getting burned and totally shut down by the teams who pressed up forced Vanney to switch things up as it scared the hell out him. He has been tinkering ever since and never found an answer but seems reluctant to revert back to the previously successful diamond. I have a feeling he and his staff are of the opinion that by being unpredictable and by switching tactics and formations often they can catch teams off guard and they'll have no way to mark both Giovinco and Altidore out of matches. Trouble is that the main team that gets lost with these changes is our own. Plus his utilization of players is poor. He sets them up to do worse than they should (Altidore mainly). With a sensible coach, our front line should be a handful for anybody almost all of the time but it's inconsistently dangerous.

Agreed.

With such few games left, i am not sure if there is a point in firing him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I am a supporter of Vanney but I agree here......regardless of anything else that went wrong last night, putting Altidore at RM shows a lack of understanding of what a player can contribute. In no universe is Altidore a RM.....that decision was just baffling.....
    Yeah, for my money, struggling or not Altidore needs to be up top as the CF, it creates space and a fulcrum for Gio to play from.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Yeah, for my money, struggling or not Altidore needs to be up top as the CF, it creates space and a fulcrum for Gio to play from.
    I have no clue why a 'student' of the game and a 'bright mind' like Vanney can't see it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It F$%^ing pisses me off how Vanney can put a beast like Jozy on the wing with the expectation of him getting forward and tracking back is beyond mind boggling for me.

I prefer Bradley going out there, or even Warner. But point blank period, Jozy and Gio need to be playing in the middle.

---------------------------JA----------------------------
    ---------------------------SG---------------------------
    JO------------------------------------------------MB/CW
    -----------------BC---------------CW/MB----------------

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my issues about bringing in a new coach from outside of MLS will be the likelihood of us having to go through another 2 seasons of gelling on the back line. I'm getting sick of the revolving door of central defenders.

Get rid of Perquis. Keep Williams and Kantari and the 3 young dudes and make it work over the next 2 seasons.

I'm also not a fan of people without MLS experience as coaches as this league is different (as Houston and Orlando are discovering). It takes a season for any coach to get their bearings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one of two things is going on with Greg Vanny right now. Either he's spinning a big wheel that determines everyone's position half an hour before the match, or Delgado has something embarrassing on him and is blackmailing him for minutes.

Could be both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

With such few games left, i am not sure if there is a point in firing him.
    Put Dichio in as interim manager - no way am I suggesting it as a permanent or 2016 move, but it would energize the home support (and therefore the players) for these last games in a way that nothing else would
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its beyond me how some people here still support vanney, when he's responsible for dragging the team down.

He will surely get fired this season, playoffs or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes..DD for the rest of the season..it cant hurt...this team is gutless and boring like the coach.if not for GIO.. this is the worst team in mls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Its beyond me how some people here still support vanney, when he's responsible for dragging the team down.

He will surely get fired this season, playoffs or not.
    and BEZ and the 2 keepers better not be far behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted this in the game thread, seems better placed here.

'I am completely baffled as to why it seems like the team is giving up! I can only guess that they are not being inspired to play hard no matter what. This does not seem to be a problem with most of the better teams. My guess is it comes down to a coach who doesn't inspire his players. It's starting to look very reminiscent of last season, guys standing around waiting to lose. And I actually liked Vanney! But after seeing him at the coaching exhibit this year at bmo, he didn't inspire me either, seems like kind of a wet rag. The players need to respect and fear their coach a bit. Instead they are starting to not care. Very disappointing 😠'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Why did Vanney sub out Warriner and put on Perquis when we were down 2-0?
    Because the only way we were getting balls into the box was in the air. NYC had ten behind the ball at that point, and he was gambling we needed someone who could attack the ball aerially and have a chance of winning it. So he switched us to a back three.

He put Altidore on the wing because he played there a few times successfully in Holland and Altidore is sure he can do it, because he is delusional.

I dunno about firing Vanney, honestly. I think there's a lot of passion here, but people are ignoring the positives. When was the last time a TFC club of any pedigree strung together a 47-pass sequence goal? They don't do that if they're all freelancing.

But it does seem like he's lost the room in the last few, and the inconsistent tactical decisions are a bit baffling. Delgado played RB at Chivas occassionally but he got undressed repeatedly this week. No other coach thinks Josh Williams is a decent center back, which is why he has played wide, when he has played. (He's basically a bigger Jeremy Hall, as far as I can tell).

Kantari looks like he might come good, given time, but is not a line leading center half. Perquis is a fucking nightmare and the others are too young.

I just don't know at this point. I think it's a bad idea now unless he's actively disliked in the dressing room, and I don't get the sense there's that level of discontent.

If they're going to do it, it has to be after the playoffs. If we're "one and done" they might see that as enough justification. But I suspect not. I suspect he'll be back next season with a couple of new defenders, hopefully a new DM.

RIght now, it's clear we have defensive personnel issues, and that throws everything out of wack It's pretty demoralizing for forwards to score three or four goals per game, but still have draws and losses. Unless Vanney suggested Perquis and Kantari, and getting rid of Caldwell, he's unlikely to pay the price. If he did suggest them? Then it might be Nelsen redux, and there's no doubt he in part paid the price for bringing Defoe over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I dunno about firing Vanney, honestly. I think there's a lot of passion here, but people are ignoring the positives. When was the last time a TFC club of any pedigree strung together a 47-pass sequence goal? They don't do that if they're all freelancing.
    They did that against a team that had completely given up. Easy to pass the ball around 47 times when all 11 players on the other squad are standing 5 yards off every TFC player and barely even trying to put a foot in. If they cared at all at that point someone would have just fouled someone hard outside the box to show pride. I'm not hanging my hat on anything we've done against Orlando. They are more of a tactical mess than we are.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He put Altidore on the wing because he played there a few times successfully in Holland and Altidore is sure he can do it, because he is delusional.
    ... and Vanney mentioned in the post-game that he had put him there once before.

The maddening thing is that Vanney is so inconsistent. The odd game his strategy seems brilliant, in others he looks like he shouldn't be coaching a college team. I'm pretty sure he needs to turn things around fast. A home playoff game would guarantee him back, I would think, but a one-and-gone away game? That's more doubtful.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ... and Vanney mentioned in the post-game that he had put him there once before.

The maddening thing is that Vanney is so inconsistent. The odd game his strategy seems brilliant, in others he looks like he shouldn't be coaching a college team. I'm pretty sure he needs to turn things around fast. A home playoff game would guarantee him back, I would think, but a one-and-gone away game? That's more doubtful.
    No matter what people say I refuse to think the playoffs are a lock. Likely maybe but I can see us finishing 7th easier than I can see us finishing 4th. I figure 6th is our most likely spot as Montreal should pass us soon (evidence that a late season coaching change doesn't have to fail, it just does for us).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all accounts Dichio is not interested in coaching at this level.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    By all accounts Dichio is not interested in coaching at this level.
    Wise choice.

Problem is that it'd be tough to get an interim because we have no in house options. Anyone else would need assurances for next year and I wouldn't do that to try to save these last few matches. We already made that mistake last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was fucked since the day they hired him and emphasized there was no 'interim' tag. Why the fuck would they do that with the players they had last year and knowing that they would be getting another high calibre player for the next season. It should have only been an interim position until the offseason. Now another year has passed where are we? Back to firing the manager again.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that reminded me of the old way England and Liverpool use to play Emile Heskey.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an extra Greg Vanney autographed photo if anyone wants one as a keepshake, memento of this season.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I have an extra Greg Vanney autographed photo if anyone wants one as a keepshake, memento of this season.
    Save it for a few more weeks and it will become more valuable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Put Dichio in as interim manager - no way am I suggesting it as a permanent or 2016 move, but it would energize the home support (and therefore the players) for these last games in a way that nothing else would
    That might work, but it could also backfire and "tarnish" his name a little if all goes tits up. IMO, if there was nothing left to play for, I think it could be something worth exploring, but not in the middle of a play-off chase.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I am a supporter of Vanney but I agree here......regardless of anything else that went wrong last night, putting Altidore at RM shows a lack of understanding of what a player can contribute. In no universe is Altidore a RM.....that decision was just baffling.....
    agreed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the only way we were getting balls into the box was in the air. NYC had ten behind the ball at that point, and he was gambling we needed someone who could attack the ball aerially and have a chance of winning it. So he switched us to a back three.

But it does seem like he's lost the room in the last few, and the inconsistent tactical decisions are a bit baffling. Delgado played RB at Chivas occassionally but he got undressed repeatedly this week. No other coach thinks Josh Williams is a decent center back, which is why he has played wide, when he has played. (He's basically a bigger Jeremy Hall, as far as I can tell).

Kantari looks like he might come good, given time, but is not a line leading center half. Perquis is a fucking nightmare and the others are too young.

I just don't know at this point. I think it's a bad idea now unless he's actively disliked in the dressing room, and I don't get the sense there's that level of discontent.

If they're going to do it, it has to be after the playoffs. If we're "one and done" they might see that as enough justification. But I suspect not. I suspect he'll be back next season with a couple of new defenders, hopefully a new DM.

RIght now, it's clear we have defensive personnel issues, and that throws everything out of wack It's pretty demoralizing for forwards to score three or four goals per game, but still have draws and losses. Unless Vanney suggested Perquis and Kantari, and getting rid of Caldwell, he's unlikely to pay the price. If he did suggest them? Then it might be Nelsen redux, and there's no doubt he in part paid the price for bringing Defoe over.
    Id like to cosign on this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save it for a few more weeks and it will become more valuable.
    Yeah right, it just as good as fucking toilet paper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No matter what people say I refuse to think the playoffs are a lock. Likely maybe but I can see us finishing 7th easier than I can see us finishing 4th. I figure 6th is our most likely spot as Montreal should pass us soon (evidence that a late season coaching change doesn't have to fail, it just does for us).
    I know most of us are feeling the worst right now and getting pretty frustrated so I was looking for a glimmer of hope from somewhere. I don't think 4th is totally out of the question just yet. I looked at Crew's schedule, they have 5 games left. They have to play DC home and away, Red Bulls away, Portland at home and us away. That's a pretty tough run in. All is not lost yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Deathwatch thread

Not going to be a fan thread, CB.

Living and learning...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Yeah right, it just as good as fucking toilet paper.
    Have fun with that. It's framed.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Have fun with that. It's framed.
    The scraping technique it is!