Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We were playing a tilted 3-4-3, which effectively is like playing a 5-2-3, with at least one centre back left over to offer cover. So you don't really need it. What we need is better defenders. Perquis, Williams are shit, Kantari may be too. Zavaletta and Hagglund both have promise but some issues.

We outhshot them 21-4 and we outpossessed them 60-40. We gave them two of their three goals. Why anyone thinks this has anything to do with Greg Vanney is beyond me.

EDIT: I'll also add that I don't think Bez really scouted Perquis or Kantari, he just took them on pedigree. Fans from both clubs were quite clear they were baffled by TFC's decision, as both defenders had been average for most of their career and shit for some time.
    Agree with you for the most part except I wouldn't judge Kantari yet as he just arrived here, it usually takes a defender longer to adjust but I do agree with you on Perquis, he's been tremendously underperforming for what he was being sold as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ok, but it's not like Vanney has been getting Bradley to unlearn what he learned in Italy. It's really unfair to blame him for the defensive mistake Bradley made. That's on the player 100%.

As far as Bradley's best position, I'll agree he's not a true AM, but he's not a DM either. Box to box really is what he is at his best.
    Based on what I've seen to date, I'll take him at the AM spot over DM any day of the week. Box to box is his best spot but it seems that's not always a dedicated role on this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Agree with you for the most part except I wouldn't judge Kantari yet as he just arrived here, it usually takes a defender longer to adjust but I do agree with you on Perquis, he's been tremendously underperforming for what he was being sold as.
    Agree about Perquis underperforming. But a couple of other points about the own goal that bothered me at the game and were confirmed when I saw the highlights:

1) The NE player looks to be offside when he gets the pass that puts him through. Be that as it may, it's not as crucial as

2) There was a line of four(!!) NE players behind our last defender when Perquis put the ball in our net. Even if Perquis had completely missed the ball, there were at least two other NE players totally unmarked directly in front of the net to make a simple tap-in.

Although I've been a supporter of Vanney, this play speaks loudly about training and coaching. I am nowhere near as knowledgeable about strategy and tactics as many other members here, but how can this sort of thing -- FOUR players behind the last defender FFS -- happen to a supposedly professional team without coaching having something to do with it?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can't be that we have some of the worst defenders in the league?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It's Vanney's fault if he uses Bradley in a role that requires DM coverage, and there isn't any DM coverage.

I was satisfied with the Seattle game, but anyone who thinks yesterday was just of of those days is wrong, imho. Every good team we play does the same thing to us, and wins without breaking into a sweat.
    Ensco is saying what I was trying to say, but clearly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were playing a tilted 3-4-3, which effectively is like playing a 5-2-3, with at least one centre back left over to offer cover. So you don't really need it. What we need is better defenders. Perquis, Williams are shit, Kantari may be too. Zavaletta and Hagglund both have promise but some issues.

We outhshot them 21-4 and we outpossessed them 60-40. We gave them two of their three goals. Why anyone thinks this has anything to do with Greg Vanney is beyond me.

EDIT: I'll also add that I don't think Bez really scouted Perquis or Kantari, he just took them on pedigree. Fans from both clubs were quite clear they were baffled by TFC's decision, as both defenders had been average for most of their career and shit for some time.
    Think Williams has been great. Am curious to see what happens to Perquis and maybe Kantari in the off season

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jloome the stats don't tell the story. They were bunkering and playing the counter. It was a smart gameplan that worked.

Agree re scouting. Same as it ever was.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

The players on the field HAVE to finish their chances. Vanney himself can't suit up and get on the pitch.

On to NYCFC at Yankee Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd guess this came through the "director of scouting operations" who used to work for Scout7. I wouldn't be surprised if we either took them via some third party recommendation, or Vanney has an agent buddy or someone in France he's just using as a shortcut.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    I'd guess this came through the "director of scouting operations" who used to work for Scout7. I wouldn't be surprised if we either took them via some third party recommendation, or Vanney has an agent buddy or someone in France he's just using as a shortcut.
    It's really frustrating to connect those dots and see not a lot of options in an entire world of football to pursue (within reason, of course).
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But this is not a new problem. This is been going on since the beginning of the season. So if Perquis and Kantari are mistake prone, you need to cover them with a DM.

Again, when we start these discussion I end up sounding more anti-Vanney then I really am, because I do see some positives under him. But this problem did not start yesterday, and it is frustrating that we have not been able to address in any reasonable manner.

I have not made my mind up about Kantari, and despite everything I still think him him and Perquis are as good a paring as we have had, in many aspects. But Perquis is mistake prone, which clearly is a problem.

I also want to say, a good cb wants to minimize his time on the ball in the box, so in light of the pressure that the back line gets on a constant with our club, it is natural that the number of mistakes go up.
    Last edited by trane; 09-15-2015 at 01:48 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perquis made a suicide pass early on and then had an OG. He had another bad giveaway early in the 2nd half, was clearly rattled and it was obviously not his night. Should have been subbed off then. Bradley's arrogance by dribbling in the box is what sticks out for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this thread may be in overdrive at about 10pm tonight
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think this thread may be in overdrive at about 10pm tonight
    If TFC loses, it will be.

If TFC wins *crickets* .
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Come on it is not about living or lossing, it is about how we win or loss, it is about can we address our defensive problems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really a point in riding him out at this point for any other reason than to avoid doing our traditional TFC thing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Is there really a point in riding him out at this point for any other reason than to avoid doing our traditional TFC thing?
    Yes. Firing him now and you give up on the season. With game against the teams under us, we are in with a good shout still.

IF we don't make the playoffs, he and Bez are fired.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yes. Firing him now and you give up on the season. With game against the teams under us, we are in with a good shout still.

IF we don't make the playoffs, he and Bez are fired.
    Trending worse than Nelsen was when he got sacked. And Montreal don't look they they gave up on the season by dumping Klopas do they?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trending worse than Nelsen was when he got sacked. And Montreal don't look they they gave up on the season by dumping Klopas do they?
    A tad different timing wise, and that you don't recognize that just about says enough for me and this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't fire Vanney at this point (besides, who would replace him?). In terms of what I think will happen, I think his job is safe until the end of the season regardless of how we do.

That being said, this game against NYC reminded me of Nelsen's last game in charge against NE. It was very nearly just as dire. Zero cohesion in midfield, the back line an absolute mess, and no urgency or passion from anyone. And Altidore at RM is a joke from Vanney, a complete joke of a decision.

Despite a few decent chances created you still never got the sense that we were going to score. It was that bleak. I look at this performance today and it's really hard to believe something is not rotten at the core of this team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is on Vanney.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tad different timing wise, and that you don't recognize that just about says enough for me and this thread.
    Wasn't that last week?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When your worst performance of the season comes in the middle of a playoff race against one of the worst teams in the league, that's about as damning a statement about your coach that can be made. We're in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    When your worst performance of the season comes in the middle of a playoff race against one of the worst teams in the league, that's about as damning a statement about your coach that can be made. We're in serious trouble.
    I agree with this 100% and if they announced Vanney was sacked tomorrow morning and replaced with anyone not named Fraser then I'd stand and clap.

Last year I hated the Nelsen firing even though I knew we were trending bad. This year our team is better and I think we're trending worse and I see no signs that anything can or will be fixed by Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this 100% and if they announced Vanney was sacked tomorrow morning and replaced with anyone not named Fraser then I'd stand and clap.

Last year I hated the Nelsen firing even though I knew we were trending bad. This year our team is better and I think we're trending worse and I see no signs that anything can or will be fixed by Vanney.
    I think he's safe mostly because there's really nobody within the club ready to take the job. I suppose Fraser could have been added as the parachute but for some reason I don't get that sense with him. If there was someone available and we dropped out of a playoff spot, the pressure would be too great for Bez to stand pat I think. But there doesn't appear to be anybody, so for better or worse Vanney is the guy until the end of this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you sack Vanney then you get rid of Bez too, you simply let the season play itself out so both can fully own the responsibility of whatever happens in the end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you sack Vanney then you get rid of Bez too, you simply let the season play itself out so both can fully own the responsibility of whatever happens in the end.
    As much as I hated tanking the end of last season, I would REALLY hate doing that this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

And I put this more on Bez then Vanney - defence issues not solved and wide attack play not addressed.

We are a better team then last season (and not just Giovinco) but those 2 areas were known last November. The defence was attempted to be addressed and has obviously failed. The wide attack was never addressed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

And I put this more on Bez then Vanney - defence issues not solved and wide attack play not addressed.

We are a better team then last season (and not just Giovinco) but those 2 areas were known last November. The defence was attempted to be addressed and has obviously failed. The wide attack was never addressed.
    Jackson can play wide. Vanney chose to not use him there. Also I think wide players weren't addressed because Vanney's various set ups don't use them. Why buy what won't get used?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey here's that thread again.