Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like it may have happened again last night. This time it was to a CBC reporter. It can be heard at the 0:15 second mark of this video.
    Last edited by TFC 420; 05-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I live in a world with experience in this regard but not from the standpoint of the lawyer. This seems to be an agree to disagree point.
    You are not the only one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    No, we shouldn't. The weight is on the video. The Internet reports merely calm the terror inside me that this is grossly overboard.

Really, I'd think it would go to what's already in their employee file. And we can't and won't know what that is. At least if you were only arguing why it's okay, rather than doing the crime.
    I think we all agree that as long as he's afforded due process than it is what it is. I speculate he wasn't but really no way to tell.

I gues the moral of the story is we all like to argue.. Lol

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the days before dumb memes and social media witch-hunts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post
    I miss the days before dumb memes and social media witch-hunts.
    Back to dunking witches and tar and feathering people then (keeping in mind, that when you get dipped in hot tar, you normally don't survive).

Or are you thinking of more recent times, when we lynched first and asked questions later?

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I gues the moral of the story is we all like to argue.. Lol
    I think that might be the truth!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC 420 View Post

It looks like it may have happened again last night. This time it was to a CBC reporter. It can be heard at the 0:15 second mark of this video.
    Around two minutes mark the comment is what pissed me of.
    sorry if I misquote the guy but it was something like this.
    "You (Hydro one) have to first win public opinion and not to vorry about the court of law"

Makes.me.wonder why do we have a law if public opinion is more important.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The ability to let someone go for severance isn't what's at issue - it's the amount. This is not as straight forward as you are making it to be. Will you be happy if in your rush to justice this guy scored a sweet payday? My experience has been when you come up against situations like this - you put the person on leave first, get your ducks in order, and then take action. These guys looked like they went straight to the finish line in an attempted PR exercise.

You are extrapolating his behaviour outside of the workplace with what happens inside it, when it isn't a straight line. Again, if this is the broad standard I see plenty of opportunity to take someone's lesser actions outside of the workplace and use it to achieve the same ends: loss of job through outright dismissal.

I might not agree with him paying with his job but I can see the employer being within their rights if they followed due proces. What irks me is people's rush to judgement via social media and general shamming. This does nothing to improve overall discourse is society and to be frank is an issue onto itself. The Rolling Stone story recently served as a good example...

Punish the guy, let the relevant parties sort it out (including his employer, authorities etc...), without the gossip page fascination in the whole thing.
    It feels like I'm in the 14th century with this fascination with public shaming. People feel seeing a guy who's done something a little stupid for sure, and will now likely be an outcast in society for quite sometime. I could drunk drive, kill two teens, and be infinitely less infamous than those guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than reports that have already appeared on the Interweb documenting previous behaviour.
    Read: gossip.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    North Americans(Mainly canadians) have zero sympathy for their fellow man/Citizen and tend to side with the establishment/Coporates 90% of the time.

Sad really.
    so true... these guys were acting like a bunch of idiots but this thing is being blown out of proportion. I've seen this story get more media attention than issues in this city thats much more serious... when i first saw the title of this story i assumed these guy grabbed the young lady's butt or something. this story has been in the news for how many days now ? this has gotten more media attention than the home invasion that happened around my area last Christmas which i never saw on the news.
    Last edited by TorontoFC6fan; 05-14-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or are you thinking of more recent times, when we lynched first and asked questions later?
    I was thinking about the past 20 years, but, you are right.
    I may just have a higher hope for human nature.
    Last edited by boozilla; 05-14-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I have no sympathy whatsoever for the guy that lost his job as a result of his irresponsible and reckless public behavior, but I do question the reasoning behind the decision of Hydro One to terminate his employment. His actions had nothing to do with his performance as an employee. If a similar incident had occured under different circumstances without a reporter and the media involved, and his employer found out about the incident, would their HR department feel compelled to fire him? I'm not so sure.
    One article I read about the situation mentioned (not specific to Hydro One, but in general) that such firings are based on percieved damage to the companies image as a result.

So a YouTube video with 50 views vs a worldwide media story are viewed differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoFC6fan View Post
    so true... these guys were acting like a bunch of idiots but this thing is being blown out of proportion. I've seen this story get more media attention than issues in this city thats much more serious... when i first saw the title of this story i assumed these guy grabbed the young lady's butt or something. this story has been in the news for how many days now ? this has gotten more media attention than the home invasion that happened around my area last Christmas which i never saw on the news.
    Thats because there is a video of the incident. Thats just the world we live in now, if there is a video of an incident is big news. The Ray Rice situation is an example, when there was no video of the assault it wasnt talked about as much and then exploded when the video was released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Around two minutes mark the comment is what pissed me of.
    sorry if I misquote the guy but it was something like this.
    "You (Hydro one) have to first win public opinion and not to vorry about the court of law"

Makes.me.wonder why do we have a law if public opinion is more important.
    It only became more important when the law failed to be equally applied. If there wasn't a huge feeling of enough-is-enough among enough people this wouldn't go viral. But nothing happens in a vacuum. Last fall I sat on a jury in a sexual assault case and after three weeks of testimony I understood why people have no faith in the justice system. It needs to get better. Maybe this guy will be a martyr to an improved justice system, who knows. Sure, it's very rare for white guys making six figures to be martyred, but I guess it can happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, there are greater injustices in our community than a douche losing his job for being a douche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    oooOOOOOooo, thought compelling response, did it take you all day to come up with that? Why do you bother entering a discussion, if you are only going to spout off a nonsensical contribution. You have something to say, say it. Don't like what I said, use your words, like the other adults here. Really don't like it? Block me, I could care less.
    Well in a few more words, you seem overly interested in this incident. 11 out of your 26 posts to this forum have been about this incident.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

680 NEWS Toronto@680News 18m18 minutes ago
    UPDATE: Police tell 680 NEWS they won't be pursuing charges after @shaunacitynews was subjected to offensive comments at Sunday's TFC game

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the forum. Total outsider here. I get that everyone here feels that the remarks were dumb, but since they were wearing the team's colours SOME feel a need to protect them as they have invested so much in supporting the club. I imagine those same people would be going total bonkers had Impact fans said it to her after last nights game for example...

However, this isn't about free speech or a witch hunt. I love soccer. I follow it. I go to games. I've coached. Both boys and girls. This about a criminal act.

Urging a buddy to rape someone, which is what the joke is, is a criminal offence when uttered in public. Regardless of whether it was recorded or not. It's a threat. I will rape you. Hey you, rape her! Sorry Fratboys. Being drunk or stupid isn't good enough to get a free pass. You can't urge someone in the same siuation to kill someone can you?

Everyone here, needs to take position that it's not acceptable within your circle. And that there is no BUT involved. Otherwise, rape becomes a throw away boy joke and women will stop going to games. Why would a woman want to around that? Why would a man want to be around that?

My two cents. No one would tolerate "HEY N@gger WITH A MICROPHONE" so why are some people so defensive and trying to make this a free speech issue?? NO big deal, 6 guys tell buddy to rape her. No big bloody deal. FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

I'm out. Good luck the rest of the way and may you make the play-offs.
    Last edited by One time poster; 05-14-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by One time poster View Post
    Urging a buddy to rape someone, which is what the joke is, is a criminal offence when uttered in public. Regardless of whether it was recorded or not. It's a threat. I will rape you. Hey you, rape her! Sorry Fratboys. Being drunk or stupid isn't good enough to get a free pass. You can't urge someone in the same siuation to kill someone can you?

Everyone here, needs to take position that it's not acceptable within your circle. And that there is no BUT involved. Otherwise, rape becomes a throw away boy joke and women will stop going to games. Why would a woman want to around that? Why would a man want to be around that?

My two cents. No one would tolerate "HEY N@gger WITH A MICROPHONE" so why are some people so defensive and trying to make this a free speech issue?? NO big deal, 6 guys tell buddy to rape her. No big bloody deal. FREEDOM OF SPEECH!
    I don't think this dumb meme means what you think it means. It's directed at no one. It's not an instruction to others. No one is asking anyone to rape anyone. It not even meant to make any sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading the forum. Total outsider here. I get that everyone here feels that the remarks were dumb, but since they were wearing the team's colours SOME feel a need to protect them as they have invested so much in supporting the club. I imagine those same people would be going total bonkers had Impact fans said it to her after last nights game for example...

However, this isn't about free speech or a witch hunt. I love soccer. I follow it. I go to games. I've coached. Both boys and girls. This about a criminal act.

I'm out. Good luck the rest of the way and may you make the play-offs.
    Language can be deemed assault at worst, but it's not rape. Rape is a specific physical act.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    I don't think this dumb meme means what you think it means. It's directed at no one. It's not an instruction to others. No one is asking anyone to rape anyone. It not even meant to make any sense.
    "F#ck her right in her pussy" OHHHHH I get it now It's funny cause it's not directed at anyone. Hold on. F#uck HER right in HER pussy. It could mean anything when shouted at female reporter. The yeller could mean "Nice reporting" See if someone yelled "Stick your dick in his ass" at me while I was talking to some dude, I guess it could mean anything. But it certainly wouldn't mean sticking my dick in his ass. Right?

Fratboy Humour. I get it now.
    Last edited by One time poster; 05-14-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"F#ck her right in her pussy" OHHHHH I get it now It's funny cause it's not directed at anyone. Hold on. F#uck HER right in HER pussy. It could mean anything when shouted at female reporter. The yeller could mean "Nice reporting" See if someone yelled "Stick your dick in his ass" at me while I was talking to some dude, I guess it could mean anything. But it certainly wouldn't mean sticking my dick in his ass. Right?

Fratboy Humour. I get it now.
    It started as a fake "prank" on a fake news cast and went viral two years ago. Now it's been adopted by frat boy types as a catch phrase to disrupt live broadcasts; Shauna Hunt was not responding to a rape threat but she was sick of the bullshit all the same. So kindly piss off with your 2nd post sarcasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    It started as a fake "prank" on a fake news cast and went viral two years ago. Now it's been adopted by frat boy types as a catch phrase to disrupt live broadcasts; Shauna Hunt was not responding to a rape threat but she was sick of the bullshit all the same. So kindly piss off with your 2nd post sarcasm.

What exactly is a prank? Yelling that phrase into a camera isn't a prank my books. What if he said I hate n*****s or jews or other some racial slight. Why is it when it comes to sexist remarks people consider it less repulsive. Would people be defending this guys job loss if it was a racially or ethnically motivated remark. I think not.
    Last edited by habstfc; 05-14-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody is urging anyone to rape someone, anymore than by saying, "I hope TFC kills the Redbulls tonight" is a call to go out and physically/actually murder the other team. Sheesh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blindbaby View Post
    Nobody is urging anyone to rape someone, anymore than by saying, "I hope TFC kills the Redbulls tonight" is a call to go out and physically/actually murder the other team. Sheesh.
    If you pull out the dictionary and look up the work "kill" you'll see few of the meaning have anything to do with murder and death.

The meaning of the phrase uttered is quite clear. I can't understand why someone would want to defend such misogyny and perpetuate rape culture.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blindbaby View Post
    It feels like I'm in the 14th century with this fascination with public shaming. People feel seeing a guy who's done something a little stupid for sure, and will now likely be an outcast in society for quite sometime. I could drunk drive, kill two teens, and be infinitely less infamous than those guys.
    Honestly, the thing that bothers me by far is the fact that the media and people are being so selective in their outrage. Never mind the comparison I made about this guy and Elizabeth May's tirade last weekend, but does anyone not remember that the EXACT SAME WORDS were said at a reporter after a Leaf game no more than three months ago (March 9th, 2015).

I don't recall any furor at the time of that incident. I don't recall any witch-hunt or public shaming either. And I certainly don't recall the individual involved being identified and removed from his job as a response. In fact, I don't recall any remarkable mention by anyone at the time.

But then again, that doesn't fit the narrative people want to create, right? Soccer fans are supposed to act and behave in some primal and boorish manner, after all. The video clip from last Sunday only reinforces what people already believe. A Leaf fan says offensive remark and it's just a good ol' Canadian hockey fan acting like a smartass. A TFC fan does it and it confirms that we are all a bunch of lowbrow classless assholes.

That's why I seldom take any of these modern moral crusades seriously.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-14-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ or it just reached a tipping point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Honestly, the thing that bothers me by far is the fact that the media and people are being so selective in their outrage. Never mind the comparison I made about this guy and Elizabeth May's tirade last weekend, but does anyone not remember that the EXACT SAME WORDS were said at a reporter after a Leaf game no more than three months ago (March 9th, 2015).

I don't recall any furor at the time of that incident. I don't recall any witch-hunt or public shaming either. And I certainly don't recall the individual involved being identified and removed from his job as a response. In fact, I don't recall any remarkable mention by anyone at the time.

But then again, that doesn't fit the narrative people want to create, right? Soccer fans are supposed to act and behave in some primal and boorish manner, after all. The video clip from last Sunday only reinforces what people already believe. A Leaf fan says offensive remark and it's just a good ol' Canadian hockey fan acting like a smartass. A TFC fan does it and it confirms that we are all a bunch of lowbrow classless assholes.

That's why I seldom take any of these modern moral crusades seriously.

You're upset that these Fratboys brought your team into this mess. I get that. Your anger should be directed at them. 98% who are very pissed at what those guys said couldn't tell the difference between professional sports teams. TFC, Bluejays, Yankees, Lakers or Maple Leafs. I bet 80% of the people who saw that clip think they support a team called BMO. Sorry to burst your bubble, but outside the 20K who show up on a regular basis, no one else really thinks about TFC. I can say the same about any pro team. Outside those that put money to go to games, very few people care whether they exist or not. I doubt you'd care if the San Diego Chargers move to Carson or not. But in Southern California they have old men at shopping malls getting people to sign petitions to keep the team where it is.

The important thing is how MLSE, the Bank of Montreal reacts, and those guys employers react. And how the supporter groups react. Why? not because of some great social crusade. But as statement of who you are and what you stand for.

So would you be willing to let those 6 stand and sing next to you or are you willing to say that what they did was not in line with your values and they are not allowed into your section?

Cheers
    Last edited by One time poster; 05-14-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    What exactly is a prank? Yelling that phrase into a camera isn't a prank my books. What if he said I hate n*****s or jews or other some racial slight. Why is it when it comes to sexist remarks people consider it less repulsive. Would people be defending this guys job loss if it was a racially or ethnically motivated remark. I think not.
    It being described as "prank" is because the original occurrence was a fake 'just for laughs' type video where it was all a ruse. Who are these people who are playing down sexism? Name them. Because throwing out generalizations is just stirring the pot for no good reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you pull out the dictionary and look up the work "kill" you'll see few of the meaning have anything to do with murder and death.

The meaning of the phrase uttered is quite clear. I can't understand why someone would want to defend such misogyny and perpetuate rape culture.
    The meaning of the phrase is quite clear - I agree - and it never once suggest to rape anyone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    It only became more important when the law failed to be equally applied. If there wasn't a huge feeling of enough-is-enough among enough people this wouldn't go viral. But nothing happens in a vacuum. Last fall I sat on a jury in a sexual assault case and after three weeks of testimony I understood why people have no faith in the justice system. It needs to get better. Maybe this guy will be a martyr to an improved justice system, who knows. Sure, it's very rare for white guys making six figures to be martyred, but I guess it can happen.
    I think this is exactly why I I think the backlash is way overboard. These guys are being punished because "enough is enough". The reporter even states it herself... "I get 10 guys a day doing this", or something like that.

Yeah these guys were massive douche bags, but since they were the straw that broke the camel's back, they're bearing the brunt of all the frustration that's built up over the past 2-3 years since FHRITP became a thing.