Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    So now we move up to 5th place in the East with 1-2 games in hand on the clubs ahead of us. After the start to we had to this road trip, I'll gladly take that heading into the home opener.
    If MLS has to have playoffs, it's too bad they went with the easier to qualify scenario. Watching the standings is fun when every game means something. Now, it's kind of like 30+ mini exhibitions and provided you aren't in the bottom 4, on you go. I guess that will be labelled a success?

Really wish we just had a table champion.

As for the game, I am liking the attacking options. And the fact they are younger and can play together for awhile with lower risk of injury has me feeling optimistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonc View Post
    Huge win. Osorio should be starting for Findley imo.
    Mo Babouli deserves a start and I doubt he'd have missed four from close range already, which Findley has.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Babouli play wide midfield, stick to it, thread through passes to Giovinco and has some defence? Honestly haven't seen him do that stuff with TFCII yet - he's been DeRo like.

And that's not what he needs to do to beat out Findlay and Osorio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He isn't much better. We should be looking at an upgrade there and on defence. And in goal. Shouldn't forget that.
    But really, we're coming around. There's more to like than not so far. Not often have we been able to say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Osorio hasn't shown all that much since his first season. Not sure who I prefer at this point.
    I agree Osorio hasn't been going in a good direction, however I do believe his best MLS showings (and some have been great) came out-of-position on the wing which seems relevant. Even so I guess I just think he's a better overall player despite his recent play.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If MLS has to have playoffs, it's too bad they went with the easier to qualify scenario. Watching the standings is fun when every game means something. Now, it's kind of like 30+ mini exhibitions and provided you aren't in the bottom 4, on you go. I guess that will be labelled a success?

Really wish we just had a table champion.

As for the game, I am liking the attacking options. And the fact they are younger and can play together for awhile with lower risk of injury has me feeling optimistic.
    Bottom four in the conference. And if we win the cup, would you celebrate any less because we finished 4th or 5th?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still worried that were playing Nelsen ball with different and better personnel, hope we gain more attacking impetus for Home games

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

above the red line despite not playing a home game all season. that's a result to be proud of!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Can Babouli play wide midfield, stick to it, thread through passes to Giovinco and has some defence? Honestly haven't seen him do that stuff with TFCII yet - he's been DeRo like.

And that's not what he needs to do to beat out Findlay and Osorio.
    He's played as a wide forward for them and yes, he's done all that stuff. ANd he's already a better player than Findley and Osorio.

He's wasted in USl. I don't doubt a season there is good for him, but the odd start for the first team is due.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two clean sheets in a row is a huge improvement. Far from convincing in the second half - we rode our luck a little.

Alti & Gio work well - but not consistently. Bradley - is still a little underwhelming so far this season - good enough defensively but could do more.

For me - Jackson has been a big improvement...I hope his substitution was nothing serious. Morgan has also been a bit of a revelation this season - good to see him taking his chance.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly guys: 9 points out of 7 away trips is beyond amazing! What's our away record? Like 5 wins? I'm behind this team 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were offensive moments that were chaotically brilliant. Team defense sometimes looked the same way - I think both connected to Bradley. His aggressive, harrying work on the ball led to opportunities but also created openings for the Union. I liked this Bradley but it will be interesting to see if better teams can take advantage of the gaps behind him.

cheyrou, Altidore, Bradley and Seba sure can provide exciting moments, and Jackson didn't look out of place with them. Less use of Morgan's attacking strength in this formation though. I'd love to see him get a start on the wing or as wing back in a 3-5-2 or similar. Maybe in a cup game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Still worried that were playing Nelsen ball with different and better personnel, hope we gain more attacking impetus for Home games
    I don't mean to sound disrespectful but I sometimes wonder if people think before they post. Did you not see the previous games before the Orlando win? Vanney changed the system on purpose to try and gain some defensive stability and take the pressure off both himself and the team after 4 losses in a row. It may not have been as pretty the last 2 games but it was needed and it worked and we came away with 6 points. Now I am not suggesting he will immediately go back to the offensive style he previously tried to employ, but just be patient and I think we will see him open things up again gradually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think MLS Armchair Analysist Matt Doyle gives a good synopsis of TFC's season so far, worth a read

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Bottom four in the conference. And if we win the cup, would you celebrate any less because we finished 4th or 5th?
    I celebrated at gate 3 after regular season wins so of course there would be celebration.

Fundamentally though, the playoff idea doesn't sit with me. IMO, they either need to make them tougher to qualify or progress or do away with it entirely.

An an example would be that only the table champion from each conference qualifies and the Cup champion is determined from them. Much like the way MLB used to operate. Being the World Series winner was a grind. The season meant something.

As it stands now, TFC just needs to amass more points than 2 expansion clubs, the Impact and one other team to qualify. The 6th team is usually about 20+ points behind the conference leader. I don't feel any importance on regular season games. Ironic in that it feels a little like the CFL.

If we squeak in and win a knock out game but lose in the second round, MLSE will call that a successful run and probably try to increase ticket prices. Are you in agreement with that interpretation of it being a successful run?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty clear that our defense still needs a lot of work, so here's a question: What would you do to fix it?
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I celebrated at gate 3 after regular season wins so of course there would be celebration.

Fundamentally though, the playoff idea doesn't sit with me. IMO, they either need to make them tougher to qualify or progress or do away with it entirely.

An an example would be that only the table champion from each conference qualifies and the Cup champion is determined from them. Much like the way MLB used to operate. Being the World Series winner was a grind. The season meant something.

As it stands now, TFC just needs to amass more points than 2 expansion clubs, the Impact and one other team to qualify. The 6th team is usually about 20+ points behind the conference leader. I don't feel any importance on regular season games. Ironic in that it feels a little like the CFL.

If we squeak in and win a knock out game but lose in the second round, MLSE will call that a successful run and probably try to increase ticket prices. Are you in agreement with that interpretation of it being a successful run?
    The problem is that you see things in the wrong way regarding this subject. Also general MLS fans see the MLS Cup as the main prize because it's the traditional way for North American sports and that's wrong too but that is through MLS and their advertising.

To compare it to England to be easy:
    Supporters Shield is the most important prize. That is the MLS Champion just as it is to win the single table league in Europe or anywhere else. It just isn't marketed right by MLS. Whether they market it right doesn't matter to me because I recognize that as the true champion of our league but MLS should do the same. It only makes sense. Things should'nt have to be dumbed down or Americanized (synonym?) for the masses. Pretty sure most people would get it.

The MLS Cup to me is just the cup at the end of a league tourney. It's not much different than the League Cup but it's actually more exclusive and more important, in that teams actually use their starters and want to win it.

So it's all about perception and what matters to you. That being said I would be happier if MLS did more to make the Supporter's Shield seem a little more important than the President's Trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree with this, but I would include all the teams in the post season and make it a true league cup. The bottom teams would either compete in a play in round (like now but more teams) or just bracket the whole thing based on regular season pts. Eventually, shift the league championship to the SS and re-conceptualize the MLS Cup as self contained league cup competition.

This is wish list stuff, though. In the same file folder as pro/rel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We won, we did not concede, bottom line. Giovinco and Altidore on top are great, and Bradley is doing what he shuold be doing and more. I am not sure what people expect of him in his role.

My only criticism is what I had said last week, this was the natural formation/system for this team, and had we adopted it sooner we would have had more points by this time. Yes 9 is not bad after a road trip, but we could have at least picked up a coupled of draws.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It's pretty clear that our defense still needs a lot of work, so here's a question: What would you do to fix it?
    I don't know about that, Shakes. I think that they just need more time to gel (along with the midfield) further. Let's keep the slower but focused defenders in the middle and stop experimenting. Centerbacks need to stay in the centre. If we keep the same formation and line up, I can see a few more clean sheets on the horizon.

If carver was still at the helm, he would have us try and score more goals rather than bunker, to secure a win. That would leave us more vulnerable, lead to more pressure and goals against.

It's not pretty. But this flat 4,4,2 and bunkering works in this league.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much of the defensive issues happened because of Konopka flailing around at crosses and not providing any communication to his defenders? He missed....what.....5 come out and get attempts?

I was willing to give him a chance but that was ugly. I know the team will likely say, "Got a clean sheet. Did OK." But, surely Roberts can't be as bad as that. Hopefully Bendik comes back for Sunday and then Roberts can go back to gaining experience down at TFCII.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    How much of the defensive issues happened because of Konopka flailing around at crosses and not providing any communication to his defenders? He missed....what.....5 come out and get attempts?

I was willing to give him a chance but that was ugly. I know the team will likely say, "Got a clean sheet. Did OK." But, surely Roberts can't be as bad as that. Hopefully Bendik comes back for Sunday and then Roberts can go back to gaining experience down at TFCII.
    My main problem with Roberts is that he's small. Not sure how he'd do coming out against bigger physical MLSers and I am sure teams would be targeting that and making the box just pure chaos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    I don't know about that, Shakes. I think that they just need more time to gel (along with the midfield) further. Let's keep the slower but focused defenders in the middle and stop experimenting. Centerbacks need to stay in the centre. If we keep the same formation and line up, I can see a few more clean sheets on the horizon.

If carver was still at the helm, he would have us try and score more goals rather than bunker, to secure a win. That would leave us more vulnerable, lead to more pressure and goals against.

It's not pretty. But this flat 4,4,2 and bunkering works in this league.
    My own sense is that if you're "winning ugly" consistently, there's got to be room for improvement. Bunkering should be a temporary tactic, not your primary modus operandi - especially when you have attacking players as dangerous as ours.

But hey, I'm perfectly willing to be wrong on this, haha.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    We won, we did not concede, bottom line. Giovinco and Altidore on top are great, and Bradley is doing what he shuold be doing and more. I am not sure what people expect of him in his role.

My only criticism is what I had said last week, this was the natural formation/system for this team, and had we adopted it sooner we would have had more points by this time. Yes 9 is not bad after a road trip, but we could have at least picked up a coupled of draws.
    He did well enough defensively. It's just going forward (which he has to do when playing with Cheyrou) he just gets in his own way and his teammates way. Cheyrou is doing the same job better, going both ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    It's a long kick from Frei
    The ball drops from the sky
    To Martina

It bounces one time
    Then a volley sublime
    From Martina

It's a thunderous shot
    and the goalie cannot
    Stop Martina

He brought Victory
    And he wears 33
    Our Martina!
    This 1000x

:-P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is that you see things in the wrong way regarding this subject. Also general MLS fans see the MLS Cup as the main prize because it's the traditional way for North American sports and that's wrong too but that is through MLS and their advertising.
    I think the way MLS does it is fine - you have a Supporters Shield for people who value winning the table, and playoffs for people who grew up immersed in North American sports sensibilities. And because the MLS Cup is regarded as the "real" prize, teams don't trot out reserves for it.

I don't see MLS ever eliminating the playoff - especially without pro/rel, which is absolutely NEVER coming. Maybe they could accord the SS a little extra significance than it has now, by having teams add little "shields" to their shirts for each one they win, along with the stars for MLS Cups? Meh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main problem with Roberts is that he's small. Not sure how he'd do coming out against bigger physical MLSers and I am sure teams would be targeting that and making the box just pure chaos.
    Roberts must be able to handle it though otherwise why the hell are they keeping him around all these years. If his physical size makes him no good for MLS then cut the guy and invest time and money into another keeper. Obviously they think he can handle MLS at some point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a great time at the game despite the heart almost stopping a few times. Ran into a fellow RPB so was not the only one in the section beside the TFC bench. What a touch by Seba, he is just so enjoyable to watch. Looking forward to next Sunday big time after 7 on the road.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's played as a wide forward for them and yes, he's done all that stuff. ANd he's already a better player than Findley and Osorio.

He's wasted in USl. I don't doubt a season there is good for him, but the odd start for the first team is due.
    Up front, sure. On the wing, no thanks. He tends to make poor decisions in his own half.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To compare it to England to be easy:
    Supporters Shield is the most important prize. That is the MLS Champion just as it is to win the single table league in Europe or anywhere else. It just isn't marketed right by MLS. Whether they market it right doesn't matter to me because I recognize that as the true champion of our league but MLS should do the same. It only makes sense. Things should'nt have to be dumbed down or Americanized (synonym?) for the masses. Pretty sure most people would get it.

The MLS Cup to me is just the cup at the end of a league tourney. It's not much different than the League Cup but it's actually more exclusive and more important, in that teams actually use their starters and want to win it.

So it's all about perception and what matters to you. That being said I would be happier if MLS did more to make the Supporter's Shield seem a little more important than the President's Trophy.
    I would agree with all of this and add that maybe their market isn't the traditional North American fan. Maybe soccer fans (generally) don't relate to a playoff format. Of course some soccer leagues have them but it's not the norm. TV ratings generally drop for the post season. Most fans in other cities, like most of us, don't bother watching.

I just think they need to decide and either step it up or do away with it.

I find the MLB season long but despite the wildcard addition, it's still tough to get in. That gives games meaning.

CFL is the opposite end. You'd have to suck pretty bad not to qualify. And that makes the regular season more of an exhibition season than anything. Most games have no meaningful impact on the playoff picture.

With 60% of the teams making it to at least a one game "playoff" knock out in MLS, we are getting there. Add in two expansion teams in TFC's conference and this season will only be a surprising clusterf$&k if they don't make it.

The season is essentially an exhibition season as playoffs should be highly likely and winning it all means nothing.

I think that's wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the MLB season long but despite the wildcard addition, it's still tough to get in. That gives games meaning.
    At least at the beginning. A lot of baseball teams know they are eliminated while still having to play two months of meaningless baseball towards the end of the season.