Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New "ish" football management game for tablets with TFC in it

One of my wishes had always been having a Football Manager game for my iPad, similar to what is available for the PC. Well, a week or so ago, the folks at SI ported over Football Manager Classic 2015 for high end iPads and Android machines. Since MLS is a licensed league, you get all of the team logos, kits and photos of the players, and the squads are updated as of the beginning of April. The games are also played out using a 3D engine, making for some entertaining time waiting for flights etc.

Although it doesn't have the wonky MLS structure with allocation and salary cap, each team does have a budget it must follow. The season starts in 2014 (but with this year's rosters), which leads to a Chivas USA team that has been stripped for parts (they finished with 4 points in the season I played - but by the end did a pretty decent job picking up discarded MLS talent). What impressed me was after the game moved into the 2015 season - Chivas USA was disbanded, and both NYCFC and Orlando entered the league, with Houston and KC switching divisions and the new playoff structure coming into place. Looking forward to getting past the next few years to see if Atlanta and LAFC also come in.

It is on the pricey side at $20 - but I have now been playing it non-stop when I have some time free. I had best up my game however as I am on the verge of being sacked....

The game can be found on the iTunes store.....

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool. I played FM 2012 on the PC for a while and it was fun. I started out running TFC and ended up running Newcastle and becoming their Fergie, with multiple leagues and CL wins (haha). I haven't checked out the latest versions, but having it on iPad would be fun. How is the depth of the game? The version I tried on mobile a few years ago was horrible.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a huge step up from their FMH (Football Manager Handheld) version in terms of depth - it is basically a direct port of their Football Manager PC game from this year, but in the classic format which means a little less in the having to cover every single managerial base. The database is pretty good (150,000 vs 35,000 for the handheld version) and they did a great job with the TFC line-up, right down to this year's draft picks. They also have TFC2 available to send the players down (as well as affiliate agreements with Wilmington - at least in the first year - and Forest City London). I was also impressed with the players that other teams would go out and sign - a lot of interesting loans from South American teams. You can fully load a maximum of three leagues to start - so I have MLS, Mexico (top two divisions) and England (top four divisions). The speed is pretty good, and the 3D game experience is actually better than I anticipated - right down to being able to read BMO on the team jerseys.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice, thank you. I'm going to have a look. I've got lots of room on my new iPad It'll probably be less frustrating than FIFA 15 on PS4.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you've loaded the game, does your data have to be on to play. Just wondering if I can play on the Go Train or does this have to be played with a wireless connection?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to stop playing this game sometime ago. Too addictive, seriously. If i had more self restraint re: this game id get it for sure. Worth every penny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No - once you have downloaded it, you don't need an internet connection (except for when the app is updated - as you would for any other tablet app)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck82 View Post
    No - once you have downloaded it, you don't need an internet connection (except for when the app is updated - as you would for any other tablet app)
    This is great. I could seriously do with an addictive app to help fill my 2 hours a day on the Go Train. (I've worn out my Settlers of Catan app.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I had to stop playing this game sometime ago. Too addictive, seriously. If i had more self restraint re: this game id get it for sure. Worth every penny.
    Same here. I've played it for years - since back in the 90's. Also gave it up for the same reason.