Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Tony Marinaro@TonyMarinaro · 6m6 minutes ago TorontoFC shopping for Italian manager. My contacts in Italy tell me Rino Gattuso ideal candidate. Former player. Bilingual. Understands MLS

His source is Gattuso's manager.

And that last phrase tells me how much Marinaro knows about MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 31m31 minutes ago You can file this Vanney rumour in the same category as the Pizza Pizza sponsorship, I'm told. #TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro 31m31 minutes ago You can file this Vanney rumour in the same category as the Pizza Pizza sponsorship, I'm told. #TFC
    Let's hope that's true. With this team you can never be too sure. No (bad) rumor is too far fetched or crazy enough not to contemplate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of the day, soccer is soccer. This "MLS experience" crap shouldn't be a major factor of hiring an manager.

It's all about tactics and man management that should be main factor in hiring a manager. I bet you any money MLSE doesn't bother much when comes to this aspect of hiring a manager. Lack of direction (due to lack of leadership) is reason why we can never get right manager and soccer president (which we don't even have) to run this club.

I won't be mad to get rid of Vanney who is clearly not qualified to run this club (In fact, I would have him run TFC II which is perfect role for Vanney since he's strength is developing players).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 4s4 seconds ago Absolutely no truth to any rumour about Vanney getting sacked should Reds lose in Orlando. Not happening as of now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    End of the day, soccer is soccer. This "MLS experience" crap shouldn't be a major factor of hiring an manager.
    And yet it always has been, with a number of notable failures in the past. Lets see how Houston do this year for the latest experiment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, I remember most of mainstream media guys saying same thing with Seba rumours even though Italian media was reporting TFC interest. So I would take their words with grain of salt as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yet it always has been, with a number of notable failures in the past. Lets see how Houston do this year for the latest experiment.
    You can't use TFC as an example to prove this point since we never hired qualified manager (you know that actually had manage a pro team in the past).

With this current roster, you need an experience manager who has manage "world class" players in the past. Vanney is youth coach while Bez is backroom office worker. Those two aren't qualified to run a professional soccer club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Giovinco rumors started from Italy and were initially denied by Toronto sources. And it then turned out while they were denying them Bez had already been in Italy and had dinner with Giovinco.

Why would Italian sources go out of there way to make up rumors about TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember I tweeted at Larson last year when Bez popped up after training and asked him if Nelsen was on the hot seat and he said that Nelsen had a long leash, Nelsen was fired that Sunday

Also the Italians had the jump on the Giovinco stuff so right now it's Italy>Toronto for me
    Last edited by portu; 04-20-2015 at 03:42 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, I remember most of mainstream media guys saying same thing with Seba rumours even though Italian media was reporting TFC interest. So I would take their words with grain of salt as well.
    Larson and Molinaro tweets are likely 2 different sources in TFC reaching out and squashing this. The Pizza Pizza reference is almost a word for word repeat of that incident....minus Rollins, who also is saying he hasn't heard anything on this.

The smouldering thing underneath all this is the relationship between Seba's agent and Bez/TL. Does that guy represent any Italian managers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The Giovinco rumors started from Italy and were initially denied by Toronto sources. And it then turned out while they were denying them Bez had already been in Italy and had dinner with Giovinco.

Why would Italian sources go out of there way to make up rumors about TFC?
    Exactly.

It's local media that is in denial because they're probably bitter not to break the news. I always take foreign source more seriously than local media we have here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 100% sure that TFC is looking around Italy for a manager/GM/President/whatever. Kicking tires anyway. I think this is a sign that Vanney's leash is getting short. A firing/hiring may not be imminent but it's being considered now and honestly, look at his record, it's awful and would be deserved almost anywhere.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't use TFC as an example to prove this point ....
    I'm not. Ruud Gullit, for one. It just doesn't happen. And betting on it is foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.

It's local media that is in denial because they're probably bitter not to break the news. I always take foreign source more seriously than local media we have here.

John later went on to confirm the signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears Andrea d'Amico is Gattuso's agent as well as Seba's
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre...ootball_agent)
    There is a former Milan assistant and caretaker manager on that list as well (Tassoti)
    Last edited by portu; 04-20-2015 at 03:47 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frings22 View Post
    *Breaking NEWS!*FORMER MILAN JANITOR HIRED AS NEW TFC COACH!
    Ha-ha, that would be almost typical, wouldn't it?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not. Ruud Gullit, for one. It just doesn't happen. And betting on it is foolish.
    You're right but a dynamic could, in theory be set up and work in MLS IF egos don't get in the way. Very unlikely but a foreign Manager should be able to run the roster/tactics/daily training and a more MLS experienced back room can acquire players and scout. It should work but it usually doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we hire Gattuso this 12th floor window beside me is going to start looking awful enticing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bollocks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that is only one example.

Given there isn't a lot of "MLS experience" coaches out there, you most likely would have to hire someone outside of MLS circle.

Also, if you look at this roster, there aren't many MLS coaches that have experience managing top tier players.

We need a proper coach with experience (including managing "world class" players) and have accomplish something as a manager.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre...ootball_agent)
    There is a former Milan assistant and caretaker manager on that list as well (Tassoti)
    Can't we just have the Milan janitor mentioned above?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    If we hire Gattuso this 12th floor window beside me is going to start looking awful enticing.
    You're lucky. I'm on the ground floor. I'll have to take my chances by darting head long out into traffic.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about tactics and man management that should be main factor in hiring a manager.
    Then why do foreign managers with no MLS experience have a terrible record in the league?
    No other league deals with the travel issues that MLS does. Knowledge of the American player and their limitations is really important, their strenghts and weaknesses are different than in other leagues. No other league has super-stars mixed with kids earning minimal wages on the starting 11.

It's naive to think that a foreign manager can just step in and do well. A small number have, but so many have failed.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has to go. It's not even a question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

John later went on to confirm the signing.
    Heh. Tweets that on January 10th and we sign him officially 9 days later.

Fair to say we'll have to see how this plays out...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit Vanney drives me nuts sometimes, and I agree he should have been hired as a caretaker or temp from the start. But this would be messed up to the extreme.

Leiweke is leaving soon. He's already a lame duck in many aspects. MLSE is going to be hiring a new CEO and/or president. Who knows what comes after that in terms of organizational change. Unless they have one of very small number of sure-bet MLS coaches lined up, I wish MLSE/TFC and all the rest of us would chill the eff out. (Arena and Sigi Schmid only really come to mind for me. Petke doesn't rate high enough to risk a short-term change shortly before a new CEO/president comes on, and pulling the ejection seat based on a handful of road games.)

Some folks are worried about waiting too long and wasting 2015. I'm worried about wasting 2015, but also about wasting 2016 & 2017 as well. Be careful what you wish for.

And wrt. to some of the comments above, the list of failed international coaches in MLS is much longer than the list of successful international coaches. Might work for an organization & city with lots of patience to try things a different way. That's not the case for TFC & Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Then why do foreign managers with no MLS experience have a terrible record in the league?
    No other league deals with the travel issues that MLS does. Knowledge of the American player and their limitations is really important, their strenghts and weaknesses are different than in other leagues. No other league has super-stars mixed with kids earning minimal wages on the starting 11.

it's naive to think that a foreign manager can just step in and do well. A small number have, but so many have failed.
    Yeah, but limited examples doesn't mean much.

League is changing where players are getting better technical wise while coaching isn't. So we need to look outside where managers know how to manage properly.

Issues like travelling and others are minor issues compare to tactics and ability to manage players (especially those players including Americans coming from Europe).

There's very small pool of coaches in MLS circle so you will have to look outside to find experience manager to manage this club anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I hope that none of this is true, but how great would it be if we were able to entice Lippi. As tough as it is for a foreign manager to success in MLS, Lippi has shown adaptivity finding success in China.

And I know this might be considered fluff, but this summary of Lippi's philosophy from his book bodes well:

In his book Il Gioco delle Idee: Pensieri e Passioni da Bordo Campo (A Game of Ideas: Thoughts and Passions from the Sidelines), Lippi outlined his coaching philosophy. Lippi emphasizes the importance of team spirit and team unity. Lippi likens a psychologically well integrated football team to the functioning of a psychologically healthy family. On the strategic aspect of coaching, Lippi emphasizes the importance of the mutual relations between players. Players must all follow the same plan and play for each other, "not" for themselves. Lippi argues that "a group of the best players do not necessarily make for the best team." What is more important, he argues, is that the tactical plan or formation is one that allows each player to maximize (1) his utility for his teammates and (2) the expression of his full potential. Lippi also notes that the choice of tactical formation is constrained by the qualities of the players available. Thus, selecting the best possible team not only requires finding the right combination of players for the chosen formation, but also finding the right formation for the chosen players.
    Again, points to a willingness to adapt.