Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    ....But it doesn't really matter. I think that Schmid and Arena are the only real "sure bet" MLS managers, and I don't think either wants to come to the dumpster fire that is TFC.
    Arena MIGHT come after 2015 given enough money. The nucleus for a championship team is here already. Just needs a few more pieces. But he's more likely to be open to that after 2016 when Gerrard and Keane are likely to retire and LAG has to retool even more then they are this season with Donovan gone. And he'd want a President he can work with - that's not in place yet.

Schmid is going to retire in Seattle. He's comfortable there - they feed him well that's for sure.

I still think Petke is going to Portland by August/September. Somebody has talked to him about being ready in case, that's for sure. He's been way too quiet and his latest role as a colour commentator for the Cosmos keeps him out of the MLS limelight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Arena MIGHT come after 2015 given enough money. The nucleus for a championship team is here already. Just needs a few more pieces. But he's more likely to be open to that after 2016 when Gerrard and Keane are likely to retire and LAG has to retool even more then they are this season with Donovan gone. And he'd want a President he can work with - that's not in place yet.

Schmid is going to retire in Seattle. He's comfortable there - they feed him well that's for sure.

I still think Petke is going to Portland by August/September. Somebody has talked to him about being ready in case, that's for sure. He's been way too quiet and his latest role as a colour commentator for the Cosmos keeps him out of the MLS limelight.
    Anyone can be bought for the right price. If we offer a coach 5x his current salary he'd be MAD to say no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not inconceivable that a Prem- or Championship- level manager could be attracted. Some have ties/interests that make them candidates, like Owen Coyle. He specifically wanted to coach in MLS. Mick McCarthy was strongly rumored to be coming to MLS a few years ago, was at the Mickey Mouse tourney in Orlando, etc. I am afraid what people have in mind, though is superstar level mgrs. That is unlikely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love Mick as our coach

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Kinnear going to SJE was his choice

Lagerway going to Seattle was his choice.

Petke getting booted for Marsch was NYRB choice (no way MLS chooses that).
    Agree with all. There is freedom of movement. But not bidding wars.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'd love Mick as our coach

him as manager and Roy Keane as his assistant lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Blaize View Post
    him as manager and Roy Keane as his assistant lol
    Sounds perfect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Anyone can be bought for the right price. If we offer a coach 5x his current salary he'd be MAD to say no.
    but if the manager sees this career being destroyed after 1 year here. why would he take the risk.

I would bet the money would have to be heavily front loaded or guauranteed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    but if the manager sees this career being destroyed after 1 year here. why would he take the risk.

I would bet the money would have to be heavily front loaded or guauranteed.
    Not sure why an experienced and accomplished coach would see this as a risky move. I would think that he would look at the history of the coaches here, and simply go "I can do a heck of a lot better than those rookies" and then take on the challenge - and the extra cash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why an experienced and accomplished coach would see this as a risky move. I would think that he would look at the history of the coaches here, and simply go "I can do a heck of a lot better than those rookies" and then take on the challenge - and the extra cash.
    Because coaches don't even get 10 games in Toronto without being turned on and run out of town.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Because coaches don't even get 10 games in Toronto without being turned on and run out of town.
    Vanney's had 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As posted above, he's had 20 in total. But.....

To be realistic, if an experienced coach went to a club with our budget compared to the rest of the league they'r in - and you're not succeeding after 10-games people would be calling for their head...

I know it's not exactly the same, but imagine if one of the big budget English clubs started 3-5-0 and were eliminated from the FA Cup - plenty of people would be trying to run them out of town...

Big money brings big expectations - we spent the big money so its not surprising people expect instant results...

Personally, I don't think having an inexperienced coach take on a huge-budget roster (for the league we're in) is smart - it leads to EXACTLY THIS. If they inserted a proven, higher priced manager and still had the same record - people would be more patient and more apted to give them time...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Vanney's had 20.
    Excellent sample size to justify a firing. He's only been in charge for 19 (MLS only matches).

Home vs. Away Record for Vanney
    Home
    2-1-4

Away
    3-1-8

You want to fire a guy who's had only 19 games in this league 63% of which have been on the road. With MLS being known for it's difficulty for winning games on the road.

This is the cumulative record on the road for teams this year. 26W - 30D - 40L

TFC under Vanney's control has been just off pace of the cumulative away record of all the teams. That is they've won 25% of their games on the road whereas this year teams have won 27% of their games on the road. When you look at TFC's record only this year they are they've won 42% of their road games. AND THEY HAVE ONLY PLAYED ONE HOME GAME.

Vanney needs to be given a fair shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson had 64 games. I would give Vanney that unless we have a legit candidate lined up aka no more rookies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    Nelson had 64 games. I would give Vanney that unless we have a legit candidate lined up aka no more rookies.
    Perfectly reasonable.. nearly 2 full years under before a decision is made. That, I am ok with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Perfectly reasonable.. nearly 2 full years under before a decision is made. That, I am ok with.
    I'm not keen on the idea of giving Vanney two full seasons to "prove himself". We should be able to pull the plug, especially when we're dealing with a manager with ZERO experience. Why flush 2 seasons if we see that he's not able to make improvements, or even tactically make our team work to the best of its ability. Otherwise we'll throw out this season and the next, and then hire another rookie, and flush another 2 seasons. Lack of experience has been the number one problem at this club for our coaches, and it remains the number one problem. There's a genuine lack of trust in leadership, and that's a very valid concern when there is ZERO experience at the top. An experienced coach wouldn't need to learn on the job, so that would help a lot. We'd also have more faith in an experienced manager because he can point to successes in his past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not keen on the idea of giving Vanney two full seasons to "prove himself". We should be able to pull the plug, especially when we're dealing with a manager with ZERO experience. Why flush 2 seasons if we see that he's not able to make improvements, or even tactically make our team work to the best of its ability. Otherwise we'll throw out this season and the next, and then hire another rookie, and flush another 2 seasons. Lack of experience has been the number one problem at this club for our coaches, and it remains the number one problem. There's a genuine lack of trust in leadership, and that's a very valid concern when there is ZERO experience at the top. An experienced coach wouldn't need to learn on the job, so that would help a lot. We'd also have more faith in an experienced manager because he can point to successes in his past.
    Vanney has a hell of better team than Nelson started with. Really when the mess was sorted out Nelsen was given less than a season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am fine to pull the plug if we have the correct manager lined up. If we our just going to go with Fraser (or another rookie) and continue the cycle then I would rather wait it out with Vanney unless he has a similar stretch of 3 wins in 13 like Nelson did against a majority of eastern opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.

Why come here if your previous eight predecessors got fired within eighteen months or worse?

Not exactly a job perk is it?

EDIT: Our coach turnover is as retarded as our player turnover and as retarded as our management turnover and it's probably all related to our poor record on the field.

Just a guess though.
    Last edited by Alonso; 05-16-2015 at 09:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Vanney's had 20.
    In two different seasons with different key players... so not really true.

Also, 20 games?!?

That's a poor sample size to see how a coach performs.

We need to stop the carousel from running the show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think this might be true. My point is that there is a whole range of things handled behind closed doors and via unwritten agreements, and not driving up each others discretionary costs would be one of these.

I think it's the only explanation for the crazy practices league-wide re managers. It can't be a coincidence that all these untested guys get these jobs.
    Late to this, but I think it's clear what is going on - it is part of US soccer development. Just as they are trying to develop their players through MLS, they are trying to develop their coaches. From the league perspective, Nelsen was taking a U.S. Soccer coaching development spot. In this context, I was very surprised to see Houston pick Coyle - all the commentary at the time was about a young US manager - they could have been talking about Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just throwing this out there... longtime RSL president Bill Manning is leaving the club.

We couldn't get Lagerway, maybe take a run at this guy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone is leaving RSL for a reason. lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's been linked to Philly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I'm curious as to what is the reason that RSL is falling apart? Seemed for quite some years they were THE model MLS club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I'm curious as to what is the reason that RSL is falling apart? Seemed for quite some years they were THE model MLS club.
    Relied on an old core way too heavily, it's really hard to continually good good talent from SA for very cheap, and Kreis and Lagerway left. Not too surprising, all in all.

They still have a lot of good young talent coming through the ranks though - probably the most of any team in the league. I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kevin Payne talked about the young SA route. With TL leaving... one day apparently... would he like his old job back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Kevin Payne talked about the young SA route. With TL leaving... one day apparently... would he like his old job back?
    Payne wants Gulati's job.

Apparently...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Obviously Will Johnson cursed them as he left...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Life on a Silva Plata ain't always easy, as we know.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff