Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I'm curious as to what is the reason that RSL is falling apart? Seemed for quite some years they were THE model MLS club.
    They run it cheap and they were the model MLS 2.0 franchise. They were the team that played the best team game and played the best proper football in the league for 5 or so years. They went out and got players who had technical skill and were classier than most of MLS at that time. Now the rest of MLS has caught up to them in tactics and skill and unlike them, will spend some money. Just another team lost in the dust when a new generation of MLS growth happens. Who knows who else will fall when MLS 4.0 comes around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    They run it cheap and they were the model MLS 2.0 franchise. They were the team that played the best team game and played the best proper football in the league for 5 or so years. They went out and got players who had technical skill and were classier than most of MLS at that time. Now the rest of MLS has caught up to them in tactics and skill and unlike them, will spend some money. Just another team lost in the dust when a new generation of MLS growth happens. Who knows who else will fall when MLS 4.0 comes around?
    Interesting theory and as I think about it - I agree.

They were ahead of their time in terms of tactics & how they spent the little money they spent - but now as "money talks" more-and-more in the MLS, they're feeling it.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on. I can see the possibility in the future of a team trying to pursue a low cost roster strategy through reliance on academy signings but it would be very risky; and require stepped up spending on academy expansion, so not really a low cost option.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Spot on. I can see the possibility in the future of a team trying to pursue a low cost roster strategy through reliance on academy signings but it would be very risky; and require stepped up spending on academy expansion, so not really a low cost option.
    But tossing some bucks to some prime academy prospects (not all Canadians either) and developing them for the first team would still cost bucks but it'd be a great way to dodge the cap hits for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This RSL discussion is an unreal turn of the conversation. What are people smoking? Sure RSL's core is old, but so are many others, including ours. That's how the single entity and cap works.

I would absolutely trade our team for RSL's today, before we get too caught up in their "demise".

Do we have young players that are the equal of Gil, Allen, Glad (all in the USMNT picture) or Silva or Plata for that matter?

The west is so, so much tougher than the east.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-19-2015 at 11:06 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're two points behind us. One man's demise is another man's aspiration I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't Gil being touted as a bust now?

And Sliva is playing out his contract before moving to Mexico by all accounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They're two points behind us. One man's demise is another man's aspiration I guess.
    Take the schedule into account. We get extra fixtures against weaker teams and still can't get results from them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Isn't Gil being touted as a bust now?

And Sliva is playing out his contract before moving to Mexico by all accounts.
    He's pretty uneven and is also out of contract.

but I'd trade any 6 of our young guys for the other 3.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't get the narrative of our team being old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This RSL discussion is an unreal turn of the conversation. What are people smoking? Sure RSL's core is old, but so are many others, including ours. That's how the single entity and cap works.

I would absolutely trade our team for RSL's today, before we get too caught up in their "demise".

Do we have young players that are the equal of Gil, Allen, Glad (all in the USMNT picture) or Silva or Plata for that matter?

The west is so, so much tougher than the east.
    It's easy to overvaluing other team's talent without context.

The only one on that list that's decent is Plata. Silva is streaky and injury-prone, Gil is on a 330k salary, Allen and Glad are a bunch of prospects with limited first team minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gattuso taking the reigns at Pisa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it's some sort of fan ambassador role. He'll also be announcing some sort of Italian Legends game for next March at the Ricoh.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paolo Rossi is in town to promote his Academy and a upcoming Italian Legends match sponsored by the ICCO. He will be at ICCO events throughout next week. I do not think he is here for a role with TFC, as the ICCO made arrangements to fly him in. But I could be wrong.

RoadTrips:Columbus/Vancouver/Montreal/Columbus/NewYork/Montreal/
    RPBScarf:2015/2019/2023

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to the Prez search? Is it still happening?

Anyway

I saw this guy mentioned for a potential role in Chicago and thought he may be a decent candidate for us given we are supposedly looking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A...B4me_de_Bontin
    http://www.onceametro.com/2014/4/15/...rc-de-grandpre
    http://www.onceametro.com/2015/3/16/...ollow-rbny-mls

Although digging a bit deeper, wouldn't be surprised if he was blacklisted for an MLS gig.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 10-01-2015 at 12:18 PM.