0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#SilverwareNotFriendlies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the idea of playing these in May (after the Euro season) ludicrous.

I get it as part of pre season in July/August, the visiting players are kinda sorta trying then. But this is a waste of everyone's time. Won't even watch on TV.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-08-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#GetUsedToIt

Why are people surprised? Seriously.

We know what's going to happen already, some starters will play 20-30 min and the rest will be academy kids.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So i have an invoice for this in my ticket manager. I assume we don't have to buy. Do we have to actively opt out?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    So i have an invoice for this in my ticket manager. I assume we don't have to buy. Do we have to actively opt out?
    Same. They just know you and I are hardcore fans, Cal, so they automatically sold us the tickets, charged your credit card, and mailed them.
    ...you don't really have a say... Sorry

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Same. They just know you and I are hardcore fans, Cal, so they automatically sold us the tickets, charged your credit card, and mailed them.
    ...you don't really have a say... Sorry
    Uh.......no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    Nah, just ignore it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Nah, just ignore it.

you can opt in if you think demand will be high and you can resell your tix on craigslist or stubhub.

if not, just ignore it, by some expiry date TFC will sell your tix as general public tix. doesn't effect your SSH tix for MLS regular season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 6 tickets in 112. 5 of us laughed at the thought of going. 1 guy bought all 6. I guess there are fans for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I want our team to focus on league results not friendly spectacles like this.

Treating the players to this type of game is not deserved at this point given the results and injuries. Sometimes this team is beyond frustrating. Its insulting putting this type of match into a crammed month.

The team and MLSE are biting their nose off to spite their face on this.

This is not the first time either.

Clearly revenue is more important than their team performance, and if we don't make the playoffs this year MLSE will lose way more money in the long run than they will make with this stupid friendly in the middle of a packed month where if we don't rack up results in the league, our season could very well be over post Gold Cup.

It's criminal and yet unsurprising "get used to it" people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    cant they invite two relatively big euro teams, charge more, and make bigger bucks?

Exactly! Then everyone is happy. TFC fans, TFC players, non-TFC fans, and ML$E makes more money than they other wise would.

The only issue would be turf conditions with Argos, Rugby, National Team, and TFC playing on the surface. Something that could be worked out though....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never understood the point of these games
    Does it promote the league or even the game (beyond some ex-pats)?
    It's a distracting mid-season corporate circu$, designed to make money.

I long for the day that MLS can stand on it's own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    #SilverwareNotFriendlies
    Amen Prizby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe in somw MLS markets these games may be popular but I do not want them here in T.O. If so then have them play TFC2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see this differently. If we want the quality of players TFC has brought in the past two years, the money has to come from somewhere. This is one of the places. Many people criticize MLSE, and I would rather the team be community owned, like Green Bay or Saskatchewan, but it's clear MLSE is prepared to spend way more than feasible based on short term returns, and way more than a team paying attention to immediate financial issues (like a community owned team) could. Part of that model is recouping money through friendlies. For me, if you cheer for Bradley, Cheyrou, etc. you are supporting the MLSE model, which will only work if these events are massively profitable. Bottom line: if you like Giovenco at the club, buy tickets. I am.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    cant they invite two relatively big euro teams, charge more, and make bigger bucks?

No

http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer...n_toronto.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious question. Does anyone know of any TFC fans who became fans once they attended one of these friendlies? I'd genuinely like to know if these games work at bringing in new fans or if is simply a money thing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Serious question. Does anyone know of any TFC fans who became fans once they attended one of these friendlies? I'd genuinely like to know if these games work at bringing in new fans or if is simply a money thing.
    Good question!
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Real Madrid friendly gave Gabe Gala a memory to last a life time. How many real estate agents in this city can say they scored against the "Spanish Giants", he can because of mid-season friendlies.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    The Real Madrid friendly gave Gabe Gala a memory to last a life time. How many real estate agents in this city can say they scored against the "Spanish Giants", he can because of mid-season friendlies.
    I dunno,

Supporters Shield/Playoff Success > Gabe Gala's Memories

maybe that's just me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    I dunno,

Supporters Shield/Playoff Success > Gabe Gala's Memories

maybe that's just me.
    I agree completely, was more of a joke than anything. Playoff success is the first and foremost priorty for this club, how amazing it will be when that day comes, the first playoff game at BMO Field.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I just can't fathom the decisions that get made. I realize that there wasn't much flexibility on scheduling this particular match, but then they should have passed on it. Certainly someone else could be found to play during that long ass break from 6/6 to 6/20.

Usually if City are in North America, I'll go but I just can't condone this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's face it, we are an MLS team and demo games against Euro teams are a given. Until the MLS is a world class league (ever?) we need to just be used to these types of games. Just like Australian clubs, Asian clubs etc.

However, I don't really understand the timing of the game, and benefit, to Man City? This isn't a pre-season warm up or fitness game - this is post season. The majority of their players were at the world cup so need a break. Won't most of their big players be on holiday in May? What are they going to get out of it?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MCFC has done this for a couple years. Purely commercial reasons, star appearances. I have read that the players don't like it one bit but it's contractual.

I guess even once you're at the top of the game you still answer to The Man.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Sometimes I just can't fathom the decisions that get made. I realize that there wasn't much flexibility on scheduling this particular match, but then they should have passed on it. Certainly someone else could be found to play during that long ass break from 6/6 to 6/20.

Usually if City are in North America, I'll go but I just can't condone this.
    Aren't we still owed another friendly with Roma (as part of the Bradley deal?), or even Sunderland (wasn't a friendly included in the Jozy/Jermaine swap?)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    Let's face it, we are an MLS team and demo games against Euro teams are a given. Until the MLS is a world class league (ever?) we need to just be used to these types of games. Just like Australian clubs, Asian clubs etc.

However, I don't really understand the timing of the game, and benefit, to Man City? This isn't a pre-season warm up or fitness game - this is post season. The majority of their players were at the world cup so need a break. Won't most of their big players be on holiday in May? What are they going to get out of it?!
    3 days after their final EPL match, it's kind of ridiculous really.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Aren't we still owed another friendly with Roma (as part of the Bradley deal?), or even Sunderland (wasn't a friendly included in the Jozy/Jermaine swap?)
    2 free friendlies are owed to us, not sure about Roma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    True that. Also, I don't expect too many Spurs promos running on the electronic ad boards this season.

There must be a clause in all these agreements: "terms in effect until we don't feel like doing it anymore."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

june 6 to 18 is an official FIFA international match window. It's awesome that somehow we're (not sure if the "we" is TFC or MLS) honoring this window while ignoring other ones but I imagine both TFC and another club somewhere could cobble together a squad each for a friendly that doesn't interfere with actual league matches.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    3 days after their final EPL match, it's kind of ridiculous really.
    The only reason why I can think that Man City is coming that early is that the international champions cup (summer friendly tournament) is in Australia in July and they may have figured, make money while travelling towards Australia
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018