Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is Bendik the right guy

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. But what do you guys think? Those goals were pretty pathetic, and also looking at last year the position we were in with julio Caesar and then what happened once he left

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it in multiple game threads and will mention it here. Quite simply he is not good enough for a team that has aspirations of becoming great. He has athleticism and quick reflexes- like any other keeper in any other league. Good goalkeepers are no longer defined by shot stopping ability. Does he make big saves? Yes. Would any other keeper make those saves? Probably. Does the overall lower quality of MLS finishing where strikers on breakaways will shoot the ball right at a keeper on breakaways when under pressure inflate his quality? I'd say so.

He lacks the skills of any good quality keeper. These are commanding his box, being comfortable with the ball at his feet, being able to play a decent pass/long ball, coming out for crosses, knowing where to punch the ball, etc.

Aside from Cesar, who obviously was the best keeper we'll ever have for a long time, the only other keeper we had that I noticed that had any decent command of the box and comfort with distribution was Kocic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes...other then he is slow,stays on his line,is bad on low shots and cant pass the ball..he is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people who watch footy can easily spot a confident keeper and he isn't one of them...yeah he makes some decent saves, but lets in a lot of bad goals. He is a good backup and nothing more IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely there's a quality backup keeper riding the pines somewhere in Europe that we could lure over here. Seems like all of the best keepers in MLS the past few years have been from somewhere other than US/Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Surely there's a quality backup keeper riding the pines somewhere in Europe that we could lure over here. Seems like all of the best keepers in MLS the past few years have been from somewhere other than US/Canada.
    the better be scouting in europe right now!!!!!!!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    ...Seems like all of the best keepers in MLS the past few years have been from somewhere other than US/Canada.

Not sure about that. Rimando has been around a long time in this league, and he's the best the MLS has right now. That and no keeper is going to come over here for $150K a year (and no, we should not be using allocation on a keeper, let alone a DP).

Bendik is a serviceable MLS level keeper. He will get better with age. I compare him to the rest of the league and he's OK. Not spectacular. He's not a major issue for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a Bendik supporter and for the most part he plays his role well. Yesterday was atrocious though, and that needs to change. Granted we were a depleted backline again. Still, the team needs to play better team defence if it wants to start winning games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Bendik is a serviceable MLS level keeper. He will get better with age. I compare him to the rest of the league and he's OK. Not spectacular. He's not a major issue for us.
    Last year there was a statistical break down of all MLS GKs and if I recall correctly Bendik was lower bottom half on all the GK rankings. He isn't any better this year and I haven't seen any improvement from him in his time here. He is the same as always; good shot stopper, poor everything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About fucking time, you all started coming around. Its not that he's not a decent backup, but his development has stalled and is not getting any better. There's definitely better choices out there.

I havent seen enough of Dwayne Miller to say he's better than Bendik, but he's definitely a player to be looking at since he has 30 appearances for Jamaica and is currently unattached.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's this Alex Bono like? Ready to try?

Agree Joe is a decent shot stopper but his command of the box and distribution is awful.
    Having said that, if we could play a formation that does not leave our back 4 so exposed, I doubt we'd even be discussing this. 4-3-3 with two wide strikers who do not track back leaves the defence exposed. Seems all opposition coaches know RB to be an issue for us, and with Findlay a passenger and Osorio less than a stellar ball winner, it is all coming down that side like a leaky tap, leading to Joe being crazily overworked.

He was at fault on at least 2 of the goals last night but saved our ass on several other occasions where lesser shotstoppers would have let them in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can find an upgrade to Bendik for the right price, sure.

But GK is not even the biggest problem right now.

1. RB.
    2. Veteran 3rd CB, considering both Perquis and Caldwell are getting injured more often than not.
    3. Pair of wingers who can cross and track back
    4. DM so Bradley can play box to box
    5. Back up to Gio if he ever goes down, and we have no one who can take his spot.
    6. Then GK
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No .........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post

Agree Joe is a decent shot stopper but his command of the box and distribution is awful.
    Having said that, if we could play a formation that does not leave our back 4 so exposed, I doubt we'd even be discussing this. 4-3-3 with two wide strikers who do not track back leaves the defence exposed. Seems all opposition coaches know RB to be an issue for us, and with Findlay a passenger and Osorio less than a stellar ball winner, it is all coming down that side like a leaky tap, leading to Joe being crazily overworked.

He was at fault on at least 2 of the goals last night but saved our ass on several other occasions where lesser shotstoppers would have let them in.
    Bono's been absolute shit for TFC II by all accounts so hardly an option for the first team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why Bono is ahead of Q. He's given up 7 goals in 3 games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Cityboy View Post

He was not very good in the couple of games I saw (didn't see last night). Some decent saves but his distribution is bad and.............wait I've heard this somewhere before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

1. RB.
    2. Veteran 3rd CB, considering both Perquis and Caldwell are getting injured more often than not.
    5. Back up to Gio if he ever goes down, and we have no one who can take his spot.
    6. Then GK
    my thoughts exactly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. RB.
    6. Then GK
    Well said...... But....... Can hardly wait, ....there goes another 8 years..... 😑

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. RB.
    6. Then GK
    I dunno I'd rather have a new keeper before having backups to Gio and caldwell/ perquis.

Keeper is playing game in and game out. Can't prioritize signings for players who would be first off the bench when you have an incapable keeper starting and playing as poorly as bendik.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    I dunno I'd rather have a new keeper before having backups to Gio and caldwell/ perquis.

Keeper is playing game in and game out. Can't prioritize signings for players who would be first off the bench when you have an incapable keeper starting and playing as poorly as bendik.
    just be glad TFC didn't spend DP money on a GK and watch him flub around like fish (did anyone else see Rais M'Bohli tonight?)

most MLS starters get paid around 150k-200k, and you generally get a decent shot stopper. if you want someone better, you pay a little more. but then you get into cap management issues.

in world market, 150-200k doesn't get you that good of a GK either.

if you want a GK who can do everything in MLS, you basically have to grow your own. hopefully that's what Q or Bono turns into.

though I hear Dan Kennedy might be available...
    Last edited by Yohan; 04-05-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bendik is a "keeper".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono has not been great for TFCII. Would like to see Roberts given a go to see if he can do any better. He did well at that level last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poll: Should TFC Get Rid of Joe Bendik?

POLL: http://www.poll-maker.com/poll285786xcC2386a3-11

I know a lot of people on here are going to say that TFC has no defense, and that is the reason why other teams are scoring at will. Even more will protest that Bendik is the best GK in MLS, but its the team around him is the reason for any negatives associated with his name. However, I believe that is not the case. I think he is a mediocre MLS GK at best. He is decent at getting off of the ground quickly, but other than that his game is average. Last game really showed how bad of a GK he really is. In the offseason I thought he should've been out of there along with Vanney, but they decided to stick with him. I gave him a chance this season, but now I think it's time for him to go. Try the backup, or bring in someone else. Idk Julio Cesar maybe? Lol I'm joking about that, I know someone on here would think that I am serious. But really Bendik has to go!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you kidding me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Are you kidding me?
    No, I'm absolutely serious. You are probably under the notion that the defense is sooooo terrible that we are lucky Bendik saves anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Julio Cesar looks to be setup nicely at Benfica:

On 26 January, Júlio César set the fourth best record ever at Benfica without conceding a goal in the Portuguese league: 808 minutes.[27]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Not sure why Bono is ahead of Q. He's given up 7 goals in 3 games.
    I'll put on my tinfoil hat. If you're in the USMNT system (Bendik and Bono) you will get all the chances in the world to prove yourself. They will take top priority in this league every day of the week.

I also agree w Yohan re priorities. If LAG can win a cup with Josh Saunders then we should do better w Bendik.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I wouldn't mind sitting him for a game.
    Yeah, It really couldn't hurt to try someone new. Bendik is average at best. There are a lot of average people out there...