Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undeserved reds happen. It happened to Ibra earlier this week. 10 man PSG went on to score two goals away to Chelsea to get the result they needed.

We have to learn how to overcome the calls. The better teams do.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to say it, but I think the call may have been the right one:

https://vine.co/v/O9LEQhFiL93

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I love Cheyrou.

Absolutely adore how we finally finally have a hard boiled man willing and able to do the fouls necessary to ensure our stars don't get beat up. And his positioning and passing are class.

I love Perquis.

Best defender we have ever had. Steps up in a league where players are afraid to do so. Can pass the ball. Steady tackler.

Bradley - went from a great game against Vancouver to making bad passes. He was getting more forward but he needs more central outlets then Giovinco and Osorio and Cheyrou. Again, Findley has to drop more.

Caldwell's injury was a tightness in his Achilles. That is worrying. If we have to go into RSL with a back 4 of Crevalle/Bloom Hagglund Perquis and Morgan, we got maturity issues back there.
    Looks like we're on the same page. I also love Perquis and Cheyrou. In my opinion they are making the most impact of all the new players so far this season. Perquis is legit fearless. They both care too. The Look on Perquis' face when he narrowly missed that chance at the end of the second half says it all.

As far as the back line goes, I'm really hoping the red card get's rescinded. I think there is a good chance of that given the reaction of the mls "experts" but you never know in this league. I think most of us agree that Morrow is a stud. If caldwell is still injured, I'm hoping to see Bloom Zavaleta Perquis Morrow. If the card isn't rescinded I suppose we'll see Morgan again. Can't think of who else might fit there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I post a pic here? I blogged this am and took a screen shot from the MLS video which shows Morrow playing all ball and the assistant ref had an unobstructed view...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post

I'm not seeing it - looks like Morrow gets ball before guy starts falling over him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Undeserved reds happen. It happened to Ibra earlier this week. 10 man PSG went on to score two goals away to Chelsea to get the result they needed.

Absolutely - we responded horribly to the send-off. Sometimes going down to 10 gives teams a better focus but we looked like we were holding on for dear life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you are down a man TFC showed very little fight. You have to keep going because you never know, a red goes against Columbus and you're back in it. If you cant get ahold of the ball, at least chip a few forward for Altidore to run onto. I mean that is what concerned me about the way the team reacted to being a man down, they just folded with no fight, nothing. How many times do you see in a game where a team goes down a man but still has fight and is still in the game, but not TFC they had no response, nothing and this is troubling to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Even if you are down a man TFC showed very little fight. You have to keep going because you never know, a red goes against Columbus and you're back in it. If you cant get ahold of the ball, at least chip a few forward for Altidore to run onto. I mean that is what concerned me about the way the team reacted to being a man down, they just folded with no fight, nothing. How many times do you see in a game where a team goes down a man but still has fight and is still in the game, but not TFC they had no response, nothing and this is troubling to me.
    Thank you for talking some sense. I believe we would have lost just as badly even without the red card.

Also, I'll be "that guy" to say this: Publicly criticizing officials and pissing them off never gets you anywhere. I do wonder if Gantar would have made the same call had Bradley not publicly called him out last year. Refs are human and we all hold grudges. Sometimes you need to accept calls go for you and against you and just get on with the game. You'll never win against referees.

Although we still have a weak defence, our squad is decent and I like Vanney so far. This is one of those games you just have to forget about and look ahead to the next game. Every team has games like that once in a while. We were beat soundly and can have no complaints about the loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

heart, spirit and organization.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Kai didn't get a yellow for that shit I'll never know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Jose in Seattle last night went down to 10 men in the 57th. minute, at the time San Jose were leading 2-1, San Jose after going down a man ended up scoring to make it 3-1 with a man down. The game finished 3-2 San Jose, just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SamK View Post
    the really funny part is that Gantar actually ref'd that game as well. So inconsistent
    I remember that game. Tchani celebrated right in front of us in 127. It was also against the Crew, who ended up going on to tie the game later on.

If I remember correctly, experts at the time criticized Gantar for not using discretion in that situation. All he did was run over to the fans...didn't even take his shirt off. Yesterday Kamara had hard-hats and props ready.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

San Jose in Seattle last night went down to 10 men in the 57th. minute, at the time San Jose were leading 2-1, San Jose after going down a man ended up scoring to make it 3-1 with a man down. The game finished 3-2 San Jose, just saying.
    We lost one of our best players and our most experienced defender at the half against a good team who were already making us work defensively. Being down a man and having Hagglund, Creavalle and Morgan on the backline means we were in tough. The situations aren't really comparable.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what you're saying, is that a team playing with the lead and a man down- against a team that needs to push forward rather than defend - scored a goal, and was score against.

I can see how that is exactly the same. Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well let's hope you guys are right, the game was tied when we went down a man, we were not in the lead like San Jose was, and the fact we had to bring in two players in our back four to replace our starting left back and central defender. It's still so early in the season hopefully this is the season we finally get it right let's hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you're saying because the ball contact is minimal, but it's clearly scissored, between his thighs. That's all ball first, then the guy trips over him. I'm not sure there's any reg that says you have to control the ball, just touch it first.

Maybe they called it as dangerous for coming in from behind (he's behind him even though it's slightly to one side) and that made the red mandatory for denying a goal scoring chance; but that doesn't make sense either, as the chance was negated by Morrow getting ball first.

Bad call all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2mil4dero+santo View Post
    Thank you for talking some sense. I believe we would have lost just as badly even without the red card.

Also, I'll be "that guy" to say this: Publicly criticizing officials and pissing them off never gets you anywhere. I do wonder if Gantar would have made the same call had Bradley not publicly called him out last year. Refs are human and we all hold grudges. Sometimes you need to accept calls go for you and against you and just get on with the game. You'll never win against referees.

Although we still have a weak defence, our squad is decent and I like Vanney so far. This is one of those games you just have to forget about and look ahead to the next game. Every team has games like that once in a while. We were beat soundly and can have no complaints about the loss.
    This game was dead even until the card. I'm not happy that they just bunkered in for a point, either, as it almost never works despite what coaches seem to think. But we have plenty of reasons to complain about that one. Will it change anything? Of course not. But it's still valid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This game was dead even until the card. I'm not happy that they just bunkered in for a point, either, as it almost never works despite what coaches seem to think. But we have plenty of reasons to complain about that one. Will it change anything? Of course not. But it's still valid.
    I agree we have plenty of reasons to complain about our performance. What I meant to say was, based on our performance, we can't complain about losing the game. It's not like we were the better team and lost due to bad luck or bad calls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2mil4dero+santo View Post
    It's not like we were the better team and lost due to bad luck or bad calls.
    No, but our chances were reduced significantly due to a bad call. We weren't "losing" the game in any sense before that card. It was pretty much dead even, with both sides having chances. The card changed everything. Could we have potentially survived? Sure. I suspect there was so much frustration with the officiating by early in the second half that several of our players sort of quit on things. Altidore looked utterly disgusted after he was whistled for a clean tackle and Seba, too. I figured at that point they'd given up the ghost somewhat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call me bias but I don't see it. He has inside position. The fact the attacker trips over him after he wins the ball is inconsequential.

Now, someone made the point that it's a dumb play to make because it wouldn't be the first time a ref has blown a call on a lunging last defender facing his own net. Have to agree, but still the wrong call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, TFC had create better chances to score than CLB before red card. TFC could have easily been up few goals into first 20 minutes of the game.

One thing I don't see anyone mention on here is that playing Jozy on the left instead of middle was bad move from Vanney. Jozy was invisible in first half (I didn't know he was even playing at times) and seeing Caldwell booting the ball to Giovinco (who was playing in middle of forwards) was a pain to watch. Hopefully we see Jozy back in the middle while Giovinco playing behind Jozy or on the wing where he will be more effective.

Also, subbing out Osorio instead of Findley was bad move. Osorio is better player who has better workrate than Findley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry, but that was a beautiful, textbook sliding tackle by Morrow, and a competent official would have seen it the same way. Prior to that, I thought it was a fairly even contest in which we should have buried at least a couple of chances. I agree that the team could have responded better to adversity in the second half, but it's unfortunate that we as supporters didn't get the opportunity to see the match play out with a level playing field for both sides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

One thing I don't see anyone mention on here is that playing Jozy on the left instead of middle was bad move from Vanney. .
    Because it wasn't. He plays better running at goal, with the ball at his feet. He's not a target man. The idea is to have him and Findley cutting in wide on their strong foot. We didn't play him centrally in the first game, either, and he scored two goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ if that's the case it hasn't really come off thus far. I see a lot of altidore playing with his back to goal and out on the wing. Nobody has really hit him in stride to attack the other team's 18 yard box.

The team is still working things out for sure, but in the first two games there are long stretches where altidore really hasn't been involved in the play, which I think is concerning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should have handled being down a man better as a team, but that still doesn't change the fact that we were in a 0-0 draw at the time the red was given, in a back and forth affair, and the game fell apart after that. An errant, grievous officiating error, dismantled the game.

If I were Vanney I'd be pissed at my guys for how poorly they played after the card, but that in no way would mitigate my rage at Gantar.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much I think Gantar sucks, the red card call is closer than what I originally thought. Very much a bang bang play and there is enough room for justification for either red card or clean tackle.

A lot of it will depend on the angle of Gantar and the AR's view, because from certain angles, it can look like Morrow was reckless coming in from the side. Argument can be made that Morrow touched the Crew attacker split second before he gets the ball. But it's very much a bang bang play and we only have benefit of slow mo instant replay to make the call. Gantar and the AR only have split second to make a decision based upon their angle of view.

Keep in mind that you can get the ball and still be called for a foul if the ref thinks you are being reckless and endanger the safety of the opponent, esp tackles from behind and side. Morrow's tackle doesn't 'look clean' and can be argued that he looked out of control.

The fact that Gantar isn't very convincing selling the call and looks indecisive doing it compounds the controversy. But I do see enough of benefit of doubt in this case.

https://vine.co/#/v/O9LEQhFiL93
    Last edited by Yohan; 03-15-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have we ever scored a goal when playing with 10 men? Ever?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the thing is the league could dole out what $5m and we could steal the best officials from around the world to ref our games but we need to "cut costs"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Califax View Post
    How Kai didn't get a yellow for that shit I'll never know
    Just speaks to Gantar's inconsistency. He sends Tchani off for jumping into the stands when he scored for us, yet doesn't even brandish a card when Kamara dons a helmet and has a selfie taken.

Anyways, everyone can say what they will. We sucked last night, no doubt about it, but the card changed the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Just speaks to Gantar's inconsistency. He sends Tchani off for jumping into the stands when he scored for us, yet doesn't even brandish a card when Kamara dons a helmet and has a selfie taken.

Anyways, everyone can say what they will. We sucked last night, no doubt about it, but the card changed the game.
    For sure don't understand how he gets games at all. His inconsistency is terrible. Kamara should have seen yellow for that especially when the entire Crew team was still in the box when our boys were ready to restart.

After the sending off of Morrow the game completely changed. He shouldn't have even seen yellow after watching it live nevermind the replay.

Glad we all got out of there safely for the most part. However I'm ashamed of some of the actions of Toronto fans. Getting blackout drunk and throwing things on the pitch as well as getting in confrontations with security and such is just awful.

Columbus stadium security and police did a hell of a job yesterday and I commend them for there professionally. Some Toronto boys really made it hard on them. It's tough when actions of a few people make you feel ashamed to be a Toronto fan.