Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was interesting to see Saeid's quality playing for Columbus, certainly an exceptional pick up for them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Same old; same old TFC we are going to be in for a tough fight more than likely just missing out on the playoffs; we were lucky to win in BC; but our team is mediocre at best
    We are 1-0-1, and our one loss came in a game that was marred by controversy to say the LEAST. They also expanded the number of playoff slots this season. Won't even comment on the idea that we were just "lucky" in BC.

There's really no place for this kind of blanket negativity about our entire season, this early.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    FCD - SKC blown offside call (which should have been easy to spot) gives FCD the game winning goal.

How much longer is the league going to trot out excuses and make us deal with that crap.
    It's a shame that the quality of officiating in MLS has not improved along with the quality of play since the inception of the league. Until that changes, it will hold the league back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any word on Caldwell's injury? He was having a solid game until he was taken off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This league will never be taken seriously. You can't take this region seriously. Either it's refs are corrupt or incompetent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really, really don't want to "blame it on the refs"....but sorry, this one rests solely on his shoulders.

Hope he sleeps well tonight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gantar's first comments on the call. Unbelievable: https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/statu...34626645557248
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    but our team is mediocre at best
    Son, I've seen the Chicago Fire.

Trust me, TFC is far from mediocre.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

David Gantar needs to be revoked his Canadian citizenship. That's all I have to say.

(and yes, we were second best tonite, I'm not denying that. But his BS decision did change the game).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can forget about this game and have Bloom start as RB for now on until we find proper RB. Good thing we're not playing next week so we got time practice.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Any word on Caldwell's injury? He was having a solid game until he was taken off.
    Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 5m5 minutes ago Caldwell told me post-game he was replaced due to slight Achilles discomfort.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It's a shame that the quality of officiating in MLS has not improved along with the quality of play since the inception of the league. Until that changes, it will hold the league back.
    Maybe the league now needs to look at DP refs. It really is becoming a joke that refs that couldn't handle local Tim Horton's peewee leagues are now handling MLS games.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope Dave Gantar is never welcomed in this country again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I hope Dave Gantar is never welcomed in this country again.
    In the wisdom of MLS and PRO I'm sure he's at the top of the list now for our home opener.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were more than a few trouble spots for the Reds this evening. Bradley, Bendik and Seba showed consistent commitment. IMO, in the first half Bradley and Creavalle were frustrating to watch with bad passes, misplays and errant strikes. In the second half Morgan and Altidore (lack of consistent engagement) frustrated me.
    Columbus was the better team.
    A team with a turnstile player strategy can only accomplish so much. Every year the first team replaces 50% of it's starters and is expected to look the like it has gelled for 3 years. We may have to accept that this year is another formative year and hope that that the ownership let's the "paint dry" for once so that the players can get use to playing together like most successful teams do in the MLS. That's a long shot, given our short history.
    Although, some questions Caldwell - I would rather have him on the pitch than not. I hope that his injury isn't serious.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before the Justin Morrow red card, we had some moments and some chances, but Columbus definitely dictated the game. I would've liked to see what Vanney could've done to adapt. Having said that, one of the biggest challenges we have going forward is our midfield play. I'm not sure why, by Bradley was playing way too deep in the back. Columbus kept pressuring us and it was almost impossible to get the ball past the midfield.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't the MLS refs go on strike/be locked out again? If memory serves correctly, the guys they brought in last year were far better.

It's kind of embarrassing for the league when the replacement refs are actually better.

Also SHOCKING that there was no yellow card for that celebration with the hard hats. Since when can you use props to celebrate? This isn't the CFL.
    Last edited by PAOK17; 03-14-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned it in the game thread, there was a single shot replay from the endline that showed Gantar in the background looking at the sideline ref when Morrow made the tackle.

Explains why he didn't know who actually tackled and gave the red to Perquis first.

Should be fired. (for multiple bad calls and incompetence over his career)
    Last edited by Couchy81; 03-14-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrescu was suspended a week for missing multiple calls in the Philly-Colorado Week 1 match. Gantar better get the same treatment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Petrescu was suspended a week for missing multiple calls in the Philly-Colorado Week 1 match. Gantar better get the same treatment.
    It's hilarious that they think this is a solution. "Hey professional referee you are bad at your job, be better next time". It comes down to a lack of skill, it will never improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I'd say better, I'd say no different really.

But the sad part is what they are fighting for would have improved the quality of officiating. Paying lineman near minimum wage, having basically no funds for training and coordinating different officiating teams (which goes a long way towards explaining the wild inconsistencies) is putting this league where it is today. Yeah these guys suck, but the system created their suckitude and that won't change unless we treat officiating as something more than a cost centre where minimal money gets spent.

Edit: sorry I quoted the wrong post... Should be what paok17 wrote above.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-14-2015 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    It's hilarious that they think this is a solution. "Hey professional referee you are bad at your job, be better next time". It comes down to a lack of skill, it will never improve.

Here is what I don't get.. if this guy already screwed TFC why not have him ref another Team and prove he can actually do the job.. no he comes in and fucks up again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching blown calls in the FCD/SKC and RSL/PHI games I don't feel AS bad about the blown call in this one...but with that said Gantar is still a total douche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    Can't the MLS refs go on strike/be locked out again? If memory serves correctly, the guys they brought in last year were far better.

It's kind of embarrassing for the league when the replacement refs are actually better.

Also SHOCKING that there was no yellow card for that celebration with the hard hats. Since when can you use props to celebrate? This isn't the CFL.
    Tchani was shown a 2nd yellow for hopping over a barrier a few seasons ago. Nvermind taking selfies with hats. The biggest frustration with this league is officiating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Tchani was shown a 2nd yellow for hopping over a barrier a few seasons ago. Nvermind taking selfies with hats. The biggest frustration with this league is officiating.
    the really funny part is that Gantar actually ref'd that game as well. So inconsistent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a night's sleep, can move on to discuss how we played.

The 4-2-1-1-2 version of a 4-3-3 isn't working.

With only really Osorio providing midfield width, our backs are being pushed back. This week it was Morrow, last week it was Crevalle. Findley is too focused on central attack (keeps getting in Giovinco and Altidore's way to be honest) and doesn't come back enough. He plays well off of Altidore when we have the ball but he's clogging up the middle. He doesn't really provide width. I'd like to see Moore play that role against RSL (who have looked horrible so far). And we should really be using a 4-2-3-1.

Bradley made the point after the game that the team should have done better in the second half to try to get something out of the game. Giovinco really isn't defensive minded enough for these situations. As heretical as this may sound, we would have been better to play Jozy in the midfield and Seba alone up front. And we should have taken Findley off, not Osorio. Findley was less then useless in the second half.

I love Cheyrou.

Absolutely adore how we finally finally have a hard boiled man willing and able to do the fouls necessary to ensure our stars don't get beat up. And his positioning and passing are class.

I love Perquis.

Best defender we have ever had. Steps up in a league where players are afraid to do so. Can pass the ball. Steady tackler.

Bradley - went from a great game against Vancouver to making bad passes. He was getting more forward but he needs more central outlets then Giovinco and Osorio and Cheyrou. Again, Findley has to drop more.

Caldwell's injury was a tightness in his Achilles. That is worrying. If we have to go into RSL with a back 4 of Crevalle/Bloom Hagglund Perquis and Morgan, we got maturity issues back there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post

I had posted similar in the game thread yesterday...

You remember Gantar gave Tchani a (second) yellow card for jumping over the boards and cheering with the fans several years ago (when he was with TFC playing against Crew)?

Why did Kamara not get carded?

Did Gantar screw up this time? Are his actions today admitting he screwed up last time? He's such a piece of work...
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 03-15-2015 at 12:54 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if Toledo is the worst American ref, and I'd say the worst overall, Ganter is certainly giving him a run for his money and is the worst Canadian ref.

All leagues have issues with refereeing, and it's a tough job, but MLS refereeing is so poor (with a few notable good exceptions) that we're often discussing who is the worst of a sorry lot.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-15-2015 at 08:22 AM.