Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post Game: TFC @ Columbus Crew

Well, have at it folks. My two takeaways:

- Cant wait to hear what Bradley has to say about Gantar
    - We didn't improve our backs nearly enough in the offseason.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would've guessed after two games we'd be envious of Orlando? Oy vey!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing a lot of comments about how our fullbacks need improvement. Just want to be clear that Morrow is a stud. We should be starting Bloom, and our depth needs to be better.

As for the game, it was ruined by the call. Really have no interest in dissecting our play after that point. Aside from evidence that Creavalle should lose his starting spot, I don't see anything else of value to take away from this match.

Fuck Gantar. Hope Bradley tries to double whatever his fine was last time he ripped him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not envious of Orlando. I wish we had better fullbacks, and I wish we didn't draw the short straw on referees for this week.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Who would've guessed after two games we'd be envious of Orlando? Oy vey!
    Who's envious of Orlando? Certainly not me. Two very lucky results for them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting how impotent Altidore was. Also TFC kept trying wing play, which didn't work. I wonder why they didn't try to play through the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely terrible performance tonight but it's no panic just yet. We need to pick it waaay the hell up next match, that's for sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. No point in the players saying anything about the referee, silence from TFC would convey our grievance just the same.

2. We need more depth at fullback.

3. I blame Morgan's regression solely on TFC's mismanagement. I find it ridiculous we couldn't find some min wage journeyman with no upside to take his role last year, Morgan should have played a full season worth of games somewhere last season. His career now is pretty much over, all that promise he had under the Winter era is quickly evaporating, I thought he was on par with Henry's development at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what the complaining about Altidore's workrate is about. He hustles when he needs to. I actually like that he doesn't brainlessly waste all his energy chasing the ball around the other team's back line with no hope of actually getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TFC View Post
    Poor Giovinco is selfish and refuses to pass the ball.
    Who was he supposed to pass to? He's a runner, not a hold up player, and there was no one playing higher than him. maybe he would have passed more if he actually had support up front, but that was made hard by the fact that we had to sit back and defend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Not sure what the complaining about Altidore's workrate is about. He hustles when he needs to. I actually like that he doesn't brainlessly waste all his energy chasing the ball around the other team's back line with no hope of actually getting it.

Who was he supposed to pass to? He's a runner, not a hold up player, and there was no one playing higher than him. maybe he would have passed more if he actually had support up front, but that was made hard by the fact that we had to sit back and defend
    There were several incidents where players (Morgan, for one) made clear runs up the flank and rather than passing to the wide open man, he chose to go through a crowded middle of the park instead. Listen - I'm not trying to slag the guy because it's obvious he has talent, and I'm neither unappreciative nor a dummy, but he was very selfish out there tonight. He did it all preseason long and he did it again tonight. If he plays the way he did against Vancouver, then we've got a helluva stud!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's interesting how impotent Altidore was. Also TFC kept trying wing play, which didn't work. I wonder why they didn't try to play through the middle.
    middle was clogged 3x over. They gave Creavalle all the room he wanted and he couldn't do anything with it. Last thing they wanted was to give us space in front of the backline and sure enough...

Altidore plays less like a target man than you'd think... But it was the same story last game until he put in two. Anyway, I'd hold off on any grand observations there considering we got Gantar'd.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely terrible performance tonight.....
    Disagree.

The only time we had a chance to show a performance was in the first half.

And we played well enough, with some decent interplay between Giovinco and Altidore.

We got Ganter'd. After that, its a tire fire.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C'mon Bradley. Take the league fine and drop a bomb on Gantar. It's all we have to look forward to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    1. No point in the players saying anything about the referee, silence from TFC would convey our grievance just the same.

2. We need more depth at fullback.

3. I blame Morgan's regression solely on TFC's mismanagement. I find it ridiculous we couldn't find some min wage journeyman with no upside to take his role last year, Morgan should have played a full season worth of games somewhere last season. His career now is pretty much over, all that promise he had under the Winter era is quickly evaporating, I thought he was on par with Henry's development at the time.
    For God's sake send him to Ottawa, i'll take him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The card has to be appealed. If it doesn't, or, the appeal is lost...no Morrow next game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 4m4 minutes ago Vanney: I wouldn't be surprised if red card is rescinded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

missed the other thread.

fucking gantar. it is criminal. deep down didn't we suspect something like this? lol

creavalle was very poor. morgan is absolute trash. Where is delgado? And Bloom can't get a sniff?

Before the card I feel like both sides had good chances, them a little more then us. 4-3-3 was leaving the CLB with a ton of space on the flanks. After the card idk how much to look into the game other than Creavalle being bad. I though Altidore had good hold up play and later in the game put in some defensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never knew why people keep saying that Creaville is a good player to have on an MLS team at $100,000. He's bad. Morgan is bad. Morrow is stud and Bloom would be good depth of the bench but he has to start for this team. I'm still not convinced of findley. I believe we will all be calling for fullback help in the summer and a replacement for findley, but his contract is really bad, so imagine that not playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely terrible performance tonight but it's no panic just yet. We need to pick it waaay the hell up next match, that's for sure!
    Thought both teams had good chances in the first half. Pretty even, slight edge to CLB. After that card tho... not sure there is a lot to take from it. Half the game down against a good team. Creavalle I want to punch. And knee Gantar repeatedly in the groin and/or face.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting how TFC has brought out Morrow to talk with reporters. Teams don't usually do that with red carded players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, was disappointed that TFC didn't have a game next week after how this one went, but just realized TFC II starts the season next Saturday against Charleston. So, at least there will be that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first half was a brilliant display by both sides, and extremely entertaining despite the scoreline. It's unfortunate that incompetent officiating changed the momentum and the flow of the game.

Once Morrow was erroneously sent off and Caldwell was injured, our backline was clearly out of sorts, and we had no margin for error due to the circumstances.

Creavalle had a poor outing, but I think this match would have had an entirely different outcome if not for Gantar's error in judgement. After the debacle with Gilberto's goal in Chicago last season, I think his credibility needs to be brought into question.
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 03-14-2015 at 09:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God I'm so pissed off. The red card was ridiculous, after first showing the card to Perquis OMG, Gantar belongs in a SNL skit and not in a professional game.

But I also didn't think that TFC responded well. And Giovinco & Cheyrou (among others) should have potted a couple of goals, would have changed the whole game completely.

I feel really bad for the TFC supporters that travelled down there. Got totally Gantared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know he was suspect when he sent the tall blonde guy off instead of the short bald guy. and the line judge really looks bad in this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post
    You know he was suspect when he sent the tall blonde guy off instead of the short bald guy. and the line judge really looks bad in this.
    Not to mention completely different skin tones

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to paste pictures of Morrow & Perquis side by side, caption the whole thing "Separated at birth? Gantar'd again!" or something like that, and post it here & on Twitter. But I'm just too pissed off, ain't got time for that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Poor Gantar

From NBC....The game in 100 words (or less): Red cards change games. Right or wrong, they just do. This game had one that was very wrongly given and it completely changed the course of the game, from Toronto FC threatening early, to Columbus Crew SC taking complete control shortly after.

Morrow takes down Finlay, sees red — It was a questionable decision by referee David Gantar at best — Morrow looked to have gotten all ball and little or none of Ethan Finlay (below video) — but Gantar gave the foul just outside the box and sent Morrow to an early shower.

Other sources....
    The contest was marred by controversy just before halftime when Justin Morrow was harshly sent off for a seemingly legal sliding challenge on Ethan Finlay at the edge of the penalty area.

From MLS.....It happened when Crew SC midfielder Ethan Finlay pounced on a TFC giveaway and sprinted up field. As he burst free, only Morrow was close enough to catch the speedy Crew SC winger, and he lunged into a last-ditch tackle from behind. Morrow seemed to reach the ball, but Finlay went down just outside the Toronto box.Referee David Gantar immediately whistled for a foul. After commotion from both sides and consulting with his assistant for a moment, Gantar showed Morrow red, presumably for denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

It will be difficult for Gantar to recover from this.

Having said that. We didn't deserve to win/tie tonight.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt Doyle weighs in on the Red Card: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...rew-sc-are-leg

"The postgame talk around Columbs Crew SC's 2-0 win over Toronto FC on Saturday is justifiably centered around referee David Gantar's decision to send off Justin Morrow late in the first half. It was, to put it mildly, abitofacontroversialdecision. Really."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same old; same old TFC we are going to be in for a tough fight more than likely just missing out on the playoffs; we were lucky to win in BC; but our team is mediocre at best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FCD - SKC blown offside call (which should have been easy to spot) gives FCD the game winning goal.

How much longer is the league going to trot out excuses and make us deal with that crap.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-14-2015 at 09:28 PM.