Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish dude would just pull the trigger instead of prolonging this

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The team has not shut him down. And he is at training, just not with the team.

Premature this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he does retire, I hope the club gives him some sort of job. Failing that, I always find him a good pundit when he's a guest for the Premier League games on Saturday (can't remember if he does TSN or Sportnet)

I've met him a couple of times at work and he's always been very nice to chat to and seems to really like it here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got his autograph last week at the DC game. He told me he was expecting to be back within the next 10 days or so. I didn't expect him for the LA game but I figured he'd be ready for the one after that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't even think there's a "season-ending injury list" in MLS. Cap hit & roster spot stays tied up. (Maybe one of the capoligists can correct me.) I think retiring helps -- I guess that's why they've sometimes offered retiring players coaching or front-office jobs.
    If I recall correctly there is a "season ending injury list", however the players cap hit remains, but the roster spot opens up. Or the international spot opens up, one or the other. Somebody else can clarify which is correct!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS has to address this issue. Teams have to be given cap relief for players on LTIR. The status quo effectively penalizes teams for circumstances beyond their control.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS
    A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless one of our current central defenders picks up an injury, he won't and shouldn't get any playing time. Great guy and all but I think he's a gigantic waste of cash to be sitting on the bench. At this rate, he won't crack the starting XI anytime soon nor does he deserve a spot. The back 4 (barring the Gold Cup absence of Morgan) have been playing well...wouldn't make sense to change it.

I think he should cut his losses and call it a career. May sound harsh, but he'll be taking himself out of limbo and allow the team the cap space to pick up maybe multiple pieces we could use for the second half of the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, he'll start. The plan this season always was to have Caldwell and Perquis with the kids backing them up. That's not going to change. They'll bring him in slow and like but we are going to need him come September. 1 injury or red card to Perquis and ya'll will be happy to see that tall Scot in the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given this current stretch of international call ups, I wouldn't mind dropping Zavaletta for Caldwell and stick Hagglund on the right. Caldwell can then babysit him and bark orders to get back in position. Nothing against Zav, but that seems to be a good use our depleted resources.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    (K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS
    A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space). International player limits still apply at the time a season-ending replacement is made (with the player being replaced not counting against those limits).
    Thanks for clarifying. Now I remember, TFC has been in the same spot before!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the current pairing works well between Perquis's aggression and Zavaleta's positional sense. I wouldn't mess with that for now.

We're heading towards offseason buyout for Caldwell, that much is obvious. No more charity positions please, I respect the guy but this gets floated far too often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the current pairing works well between Perquis's aggression and Zavaleta's positional sense. I wouldn't mess with that for now.

We're heading towards offseason buyout for Caldwell, that much is obvious. No more charity positions please, I respect the guy but this gets floated far too often.
    Isn't he out of contract after this season anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zavaleta has had issues with his distribution, but he has really stepped up when the team needed help on the backline. Kudos to management for selecting him in the re-entry draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh, he'll start. The plan this season always was to have Caldwell and Perquis with the kids backing them up. That's not going to change. They'll bring him in slow and like but we are going to need him come September. 1 injury or red card to Perquis and ya'll will be happy to see that tall Scot in the back.
    I like it when an experienced defender is paired with a young guy, I think this is the best way to develop your defenders as get your older guys to show them the ropes. Caldwell should be a backup and only played when Perquis is out, we need a younger defender paired with him to cover for his lack of speed. Having a Caldwell/Perquis pair isn't also entirely good when our starting DM isn't exactly fast, we need a bit of young blood in there to balance it out.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-03-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish we could cut Caldwell now and spend on someone else. He's 34 and has been out all season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is that *if* we make the playoffs I think a Caldwell - Perquis pairing would be a lot safer than one with Zavaleta in it. If all things being equal, everyone's health is perfect.

edit: no disrespect to what Zavaleta has done either. But in the high pressure matches, I could see his indecision on his passes costing us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His interviews drive me nuts i could never understand a word hes saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A full health Caldwell and Perquis pairing would be great for the playoff stretch, but how likely is a full health Caldwell at that time? Best outcome is the Dichio-move. Retire mid-season and land some lucrative post career media and coaching work. Caldwell has already took a tiny step into that world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes & if you truly cared about your employer... you'd do the same. Walk up and ask them to cut your wages.

This whole element is the most distasteful aspect of the MLS salary cap system. We sit around hoping to reduce the wages of the players we are supposed to be supporting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone seems to forget his flying arms technique. It's hard to believe a senior pro waves his arms in the box . It will penalize us at the wrong time , he's a good guy but , slow and rusty . For how much $ . Hopefully he is promoted up .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Yes & if you truly cared about your employer... you'd do the same. Walk up and ask them to cut your wages.

This whole element is the most distasteful aspect of the MLS salary cap system. We sit around hoping to reduce the wages of the players we are supposed to be supporting.
    Agree with the 2nd part, but your analogy is way off. Would only apply to an employee who's in the last few months of a multi-year contract that, if it gets renewed at all would be at a fraction of what it is now. Instead of seeing the door in a few months with no other comparable employment opportunities, the team effectively pays them more over a longer period and also helps them transition into a new post-playing career (if that's what interests them).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or every cap system in NA. Pretty common place here. In sport.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Og, I'd wager you have never been a manager of a guy playing the short term disability card. You often see it as someone approaches their pension date (very analogous to the last year of a contract in sports).

When a guy in this position is always 2 or 3 weeks away, for months, alarm bells go off, for me anyway.

Of course nobody knows. Once in a while, I suppose, the guy really does come back. But that isn't the way to play it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Isn't he out of contract after this season anyway?
    Yeah I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me it's not true that it would be in the best interest of the club to shed at least part of his salary. He's not even earning his wages right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like his retirement is official, shame to see. I guess he just couldn't get back into form.

He has got a job though, no idea what exactly it means, but he is the Director of Corporate Development with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!