Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm of two minds about her. I find her speech patterns and syntax a little off-putting at times, but then she'll ask a question that starts out pretty basic, but ends up with a really interesting slant. I think that like anyone just starting out she has rough edges, but I suspect that she has considerable upside potential.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    No, it's not. She said she didn't know anything about soccer when she was trying to win the contest but here she is anyways. Am I sexist for pointing that out?
    To refer to her as a bimbo is sexist. And I believe when she was trying to win the contest she claimed she was passionate about soccer but that the highlight of her playing days were the orange slices. To me it seems like she was saying she has always liked soccer but is no good at it. Not that she knows nothing about soccer. Can't believe I got sucked into this thread, but here I am.... sigh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good grief. I make it a personal policy not to interfere in any way with a pretty girl being pretty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, it's not. She said she didn't know anything about soccer when she was trying to win the contest but here she is anyways. Am I sexist for pointing that out?
    Contest? If TFC had a contest to replace Lee Godfrey, I will admit that I missed any mention of it.

The new in-house reporter seems fine to me. Just basing her questions on the Bradley interview - her questions seemed observant and aware. Maybe her tone will improve with time. In the area of sexism, I think that largest knock against MLSE is not that they have hired a female reporter or are introducing another female host for BMO games, it is the fact that they do this while completely ignoring the possibility of women's soccer in this city. I would be so much happier with MLSE if they were developing TFCW . It would make the gender of inhouse reporters very much a moot point...

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    This is the dumbest comment in this thread.
    ^ This is unnecessary. It adds no value to the thread.

All you're doing is belittling someone by insulting their post.

Do better.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

re : Danielle Emanuele. I think she's doing a good job, and makes Serioux / Wheeler more bearable.

I didn't know she had no soccer background before getting this gig (mentioned upthread), but if that's the case, she's even more impressive.

She seems comfortable with the mic, and has learned a lot about the game in a short time. She'll only get better.

There was another thread (probably the one when Seba landed) where we commiserated that she won't be around long simply because a larger station or network will pick her up.

I have no doubt that this will happen.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you dislike her, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. She won't be here long.... are they ever? Just another bimbo who sees this as a stepping stone to lord knows what.

Based on her own words, her only knowledge of soccer was orange slices at half time before she got this job.
    I hope this is a joke... Not very respectful to call her a bimbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, are some people mixing up Danielle Emanuele with the replacement for Rachel as game day host?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Wait, are some people mixing up Danielle Emanuele with the replacement for Rachel as game day host?
    Hopefully not. Very different people in many aspects.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emanuele did a somewhat cringing audition tape to be the game day host.

Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-10-2015 at 01:40 PM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    I'm of two minds about her. I find her speech patterns and syntax a little off-putting at times, but then she'll ask a question that starts out pretty basic, but ends up with a really interesting slant. I think that like anyone just starting out she has rough edges, but I suspect that she has considerable upside potential.
    Yeah, I went ahead and watch a load of videos with her. You're right - she's inexperienced and it shows. But I'm sure the more she gets to know the subjects she's talking too, the better she'll be. I'd cut her some slack for being new to the job and all.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    That's been taken already. It's not Danielle.

If she didn't know much about soccer, she did a hell of good job of faking it as she was on point in terms of training and tactics with most of her interviews during preseason. It's possible Devang or others had a hand in that maybe, but at least questions people in the know. She could have phoned it in like most of Godfrey's interaction.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 03-10-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    That's been taken already. It's not Danielle.

Yea, I know.

People talking about winning contests for the job made me think people could have been mixing the two up as Rachels replacement was just announced.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geez man we are not in the offseason anymore...not sure why we have this kind of offseason type topic. I think Danielle is doing ok. Rachel annoyed the hell out of me at first but I kind of got used to the quirkiness and then didn't really mind it. At least...ahhh...she is not....ahhh....asking questions like.....ahhh....Lee Godfrey. That was driving me nuts after.....ahhh.....awhile. This is her preseason, let's not do the TFC thing and fire her right away. We have more stuff to pay attention to now...season is on!!! Let's go Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry but she's pretty bad but I think that's because she's very raw and inexperienced. I think she'll get better and has over the last couple of weeks. She's a cute blonde woman which certainly doesn't hurt in this type of business.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....Based on her own words, her only knowledge of soccer was orange slices at half time before she got this job.
    ACTUALLY, what she said was
    I have always had a passion for the beautiful game, but, lets be real here, when I realised the highlight of my soccer career was orange slices at halftime, I knew it was time to take a different route.

i.e. She's a fan of the game, but not a good player.

I still find her video cringe worthy cause that first bit about Shit people say didn't work for anybody, including William Shatner, but one guy on twitter.

But she never said she didn't follow the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Much better reel than Daniele.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post

That said, I concede that my comments lacked a bit of tact. Apologies, then, JavierMartini (still remember you creating that profile, after Martina's two-goal game, against an expansion Portland side); hope you'll forgive me for thinking your feelings weren't as advertised.

Honestly, though, I am really dumbfounded, here, on what she could be doing so wrong. Whilst she might sound a bit robotic, at times, she also has about the smoothest delivery I've heard, rarely making a mistake and probably more production-friendly (time constraints). Even still, she's definitely shown a lot in the way of personality, especially noticed when she was covering the DP announcements (i.e. making a few jokes and generally chummying up to her interviewee). She doesn't always get to the heart of the matter or ask the really deep questions, but, then, hardly anyone club-affiliated ever has, nor is expected to (we look elsewhere for that). That said, she has certainly thrown a grittier question or two in, that maybe wasn't scripted, but she rolls with things so smoothly, that there's little to no awkwardness in so doing.

I didn't much hate Lee Godfrey, but I've still found this Danielle Emanuele to be a real breath of fresh air.
    No part of my op has a drop of sexism in it. If you had started off this way without just labeling myself a sexist, this discussion could have progressed better.

I've never really liked any TFC interviewer and had high hopes. I think it's a downgrade from Rachel was Danielle is a PR smooth talker with little passion / knowledge for footy.

Also you've answered some of my gripes with her yourself. I don't like the robotic, smooth talking pr agent. I'd actually really like to see some deep questions about some of the new players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    I agree, however I'm a little confused. Is Shari Leavitt going to be taking over tfc tv interviews and post game or................?

* Edit oh ok. I just realised my error. Danielle is golTV and Shari is TFC TV. I actually really like Shari and look forward to seeing her on tfc TV.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    No part of my op has a drop of sexism in it. If you had started off this way without just labeling myself a sexist, this discussion could have progressed better.
    Umm.. correct; this is the entire point of my last post.

I've never really liked any TFC interviewer and had high hopes. I think it's a downgrade from Rachel was Danielle is a PR smooth talker with little passion / knowledge for footy.
    Rachel maybe put her passion more on display, however I rarely found he to be insightful, nor did she ever really get deep into any topics. She had her lane and I didn't mind it, but I'm much happier with the balance Danielle has brought.

Also you've answered some of my gripes with her yourself. I don't like the robotic, smooth talking pr agent. I'd actually really like to see some deep questions about some of the new players.
    In fairness, I used the term "robotic," having read someone else in the thread using it; just wanted to directly address it, so, for want of a better word, I stuck with that. With that said, I can see what was meant by it, with how smoothly she speaks.. but, I prefer this, rather than someone bumbling and fumbling all over themselves—not sure how anyone can hate that she sounds professional, and not the way, for instance, Taylor Twellmen used to sound (like he was watching the game from his couch, with a bud).

Anyway, man.. to each, his own.

Peace be with you.

Thousandth post!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen this person yet, but there's no way she's worse than Andi Petrillo and her "what is your favourite colour?" bullshit.

I do wish they'd hire someone, male or female, who actually has some pre-existing interest and expertise in soccer as a sport, instead of fresh faced young people who are "willing to learn!" about the sport they are already essentially covering.
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 03-11-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Both of them are young and both will improve. We are still quite a ways down the pecking order when it comes to media personalities for TFC.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, that is how it came across. JuliquE shouldn't be criticised, she is making a fair point.

edit: I am replying to her post that the thread came across as sexist.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-11-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I agree, that is how it came across. JuliquE shouldn't be criticised, she is making a fair point.

edit: I am replying to her post that the thread came across as sexist.
    Guys like you and Tobor! are why I keep coming back to this forum (there have been countless other examples, mind—some in this thread). 'Preciate it, man.

I could have, though, found a way to get the point across in a less belligerent fashion.

That said, and I get the confusion, but.. I'm a dude. heh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    To be fair, she had already got the job, so she doesn't have to make cringe-worthy attempts to draw attention to herself.

But, yeh.. I like this one, as well.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR ! View Post
    ^ This is unnecessary. It adds no value to the thread.
    All you're doing is belittling someone by insulting their post.
    Do better.
    Do better?

Here is the long version of my post

It's very ignorant to assume the OP was sexist because he had a negative view of an internet personality who happens to be female. It was very unnecessary to add the line "Maybe she should just do interviews topless, to distract from her horrible questions." in order to further insinuate that the OP intent was to belittle a woman solely on the grounds that she is a woman and not that her skills as an interviewer are not up to standard (a view that many non-sexist people on this board hold).

People who loosely throw around the term "sexist" the way this poster did are a detriment to the feminist movement they claim to be fighting for. I don't care if this person is a woman - acting ignorant isn't helping the cause.

Shall I continue to "Do Better" and further explain my distaste for manner in which JuliquE comment helped derail the conversation into the trash?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Do better?

Here is the long version of my post

It's very ignorant to assume the OP was sexist because he had a negative view of an internet personality who happens to be female. It was very unnecessary to add the line "Maybe she should just do interviews topless, to distract from her horrible questions." in order to further insinuate that the OP intent was to belittle a woman solely on the grounds that she is a woman and not that her skills as an interviewer are not up to standard (a view that many non-sexist people on this board hold).

People who loosely throw around the term "sexist" the way this poster did are a detriment to the feminist movement they claim to be fighting for. I don't care if this person is a woman - acting ignorant isn't helping the cause.

Shall I continue to "Do Better" and further explain my distaste for manner in which JuliquE comment helped derail the conversation into the trash?

I said it came across/read as if it were sexism—I wasn't sure, but all signs seemed to point to it.

Do better.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@jabbronies ; Sorry man, I don't do outrage.

Your expanded post (above) explains your opinion, but it's confrontational. People aren't ignorant just because they see things differently to you.

Yes, @JuliquE ; could have stated their thoughts with less hyperbole, and perhaps he/she will do so in future.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all take a moment to think about our posts. About how they'll be perceived, and how much value they add to the overall conversation, before submitting them ?

Part of message boards will always be taken up by folk lurking in the shadows, waiting to spew vitriol at the first poster who doesn't share their view.

But let's not have that here.

That's what I meant by 'Do Better'.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We deserve butter... I mean better...