Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Here is an article in reference to TV hockey ratings in some markets in the US, I agree they are better than MLS ratings but some of these hockey TV ratings in a lot of hockey markets are nothing to gloat about either. http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-conte...35975EE590.jpg. I see a lot of markets with 0. whatever as the average viewership in a lot of hockey markets, yes MLS is way behind but some of those markets have MLS like numbers. These numbers were from a sportsnet article back in April 2015.
    Averages don't tell the story. There are big in-season spikes for good matchups in prime slots, that is what drives revenue.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/2...-came-back-too

Plus the rewards for success are large in hockey. These southern markets can produce skyrocketing numbers when their teams are in the playoffs, the teams can make millions per game.

This past year, Tampa was 11.9 locally for game seven of the semi final (better than NY which was 10.3) and 15 or better for every game in the Stanley Cup Final.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-29-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to put these numbers in context, Southern Ontario is approx 4.5 million sets.

So when the Jays were getting 900K in this area every night in September (see top of page) that was something like a 20 share (ie similar to what Blackhawks got locally most nights in Stanley Cup final, unreal to think about)

TFC vs Impact in the playoffs getting 260K nationally, that's probably 150K in Southern Ontario, so something like a 3 share.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-29-2015 at 07:10 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The 4th what? Professional league? Well that's also misleading.

NFL, NASCAR, College Football, College Basketball. There is no way MLS is topping any of those leagues in the south, west, or whatever. I don't know what the regional number are for the nba but judging by their mega TV which has salaries in the stratosphere I doubt they are under MLS.

Let's just back this up and admit the TV ratings are terrible because they've only tweaked this formula as far to be good, local, live entertainment. As a TV product, it's better than it was 5 years ago but not good enough to be a ratings winner.
    there will need to be 15 more giovincos before TV rating for MLS really move

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://translate.google.com/transla...a-deludenti%2F

Some interesting comments from Italian Eurosports guy who does MLS games. Google translated so it's a bit hard to read.
    I'm not worried about business side of MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano