Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Internet at home is pretty much a given for most people and I don't know about you, but I watched at least 3 World Cup games last year over my phone (but I'm on Wind).
    I have a 52" Sony HDTV and bifocals…. I'm not watching anything of importance on my stupid phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I have a 52" Sony HDTV and bifocals…. I'm not watching anything of importance on my stupid phone
    I've watched the odd game on my phone when I've been away from home, but no way am I watching a game on there by choice.

Digressing, what are ratings looking like these days?
    Last edited by brad; 06-28-2015 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any numbers for the last few games?

Edit: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--women-s-soccer-continues-to-set-records-191330037.html

Not in the top 12 but good news for women's soccer I guess?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday's Match: 74,000 (SportsNet360)
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly TFC only could draw 74,000 again this past weekend to Sportsnet 360.

The Jays are killing everything in sight

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...202806158.html

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. MLB, Twins at Blue Jays, Monday, Sportsnet: 1,390,000

2. MLB, Royals at Blue Jays, Friday, Sportsnet: 1,080,000

3. MLB, Royals at Blue Jays, Sunday, Sportsnet: 997,000

4. MLB, Royals at Blue Jays, Saturday, Sportsnet: 981,000

5. CFL, Roughriders at Eskimos, Friday, TSN: 600,000

6. CFL, Argonauts at Tiger-Cats, Monday, TSN: 558,000

7. CFL, Alouettes at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 538,000

8. Auto racing, NASCAR Windows 400, Sunday, TSN: 329,000

9. MMA, UFC 190 preliminaries, Saturday, TSN: 194,000

10. MLB, Angels at Dodgers, Saturday, Sportsnet: 170,000

11. Hockey, World Jr. Summer Showdown, Canada vs. Russia, Monday, TSN: 163,000

12. MLB, Nationals at Mets, Sunday, TSN: 155,000

13. PGA, Quicken Loans National third round, Saturday, TSN: 146,000 (CBS viewers not measured)

13. Rugby, Pacific Nations Cup, Canada vs. U.S., Monday, TSN: 146,000

15. MLB, Angels at Dodgers, Friday, Sportsnet: 141,000

16. MLS, Whitecaps at Seattle, Saturday, TSN: 129,000

17. PGA Quicken Loans National final round, Sunday, TSN: 87,000 (CBS viewers not measured)

18. MLS, Toronto FC at New England, Saturday, Sportsnet 360: 74,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    Saturday's Match: 74,000 (SportsNet360)
    They don't make it easy though putting it on 360 which not a lot of people get but put generic baseball games on several sports nets channels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everyone gets 360, its the old thescore, which is a CRTC mandatory station that is carried by all cable companies.

we have been drawing basically the same crappy numbers all season.
    Not alot of people care right now other than core diehards We have to get people more interested. TSN is pumping the games and MLSE is advertising more now.

For now, just be happy that we are owned by TSN/SN or the games wouldn't even be on tv given the ratings.
    Last edited by Qman; 08-08-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jays numbers have tripled since the trades.

That TFC number would have been 23K a year ago. It's baby steps forward.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think they got quite that low "on average" ... some games yes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday night, in the summer, on 360 .. I think they got 18K at Houston in that exact setup last year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    everyone gets 360, its the old thescore, which is a CRTC mandatory station that is carried by all cable companies.

Not alot of people care right now other than core diehards We have to get people more interested. TSN is pumping the games and MLSE is advertising more now.

For now, just be happy that we are owned by TSN/SN or the games wouldn't even be on tv given the ratings.
    Umm no. TSN and SN need as much of content as possible to gain subscribers especially amount of channels they have now. Running reruns of old NHL games and sportscentre/connected isn't going to do much.

BTW: TFC have been doing better on TV this year compare to last year.

Not everyone has Sportsnet 360 (number of subscribers for that channel is only 5.8 million which is close to 3 million less than Sportsnet main channels). I am sure TSN has more subscribers than Sportsnet, so yeah, not everyone has Sportsnet 360. So TV ratings will take a hit being on Sportsnet 360 instead of main Sportsnet channel or TSN (main channel).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Umm no. TSN and SN need as much of content as possible to gain subscribers especially amount of channels they have now. Running reruns of old NHL games and sportscentre/connected isn't going to do much.

BTW: TFC have been doing better on TV this year compare to last year.

Not everyone has Sportsnet 360 (number of subscribers for that channel is only 5.8 million which is close to 3 million less than Sportsnet main channels). I am sure TSN has more subscribers than Sportsnet, so yeah, not everyone has Sportsnet 360. So TV ratings will take a hit being on Sportsnet 360 instead of main Sportsnet channel or TSN (main channel).
    as has been pointed out, the could put reruns of lumberjacks sports or poker and draw more viewers.
    Thank god every weekend TFC is owned by TSN & SN.
    Recently heard that Vancouver are paying to get on TSN (covering half the loses)
    Last edited by Qman; 08-08-2015 at 01:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I don't get sportsnet 360 on my Bell basic cable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I realize that TFC and MLS soccer are not getting great ratings, however, I'm pretty sure they get better ratings then poker or lumberjack competitions I think unless someone has the numbers to prove me wrong. Moreover, the amount of press TFC gets in the Toronto media is very inconsistent, for example in the Toronto Sun which is available at my workplace everyday I notice that the Argos and the CFL have about two pages of coverage every day whereas TFC might get coverage once a week when they don't have a game, and get something on game days and after a game, however, the Argos have a page or two everyday it's not even close in the Sun the Argos I would say get so much more coverage in this particulay paper than TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Ok I realize that TFC and MLS soccer are not getting great ratings, however, I'm pretty sure they get better ratings then poker or lumberjack competitions I think unless someone has the numbers to prove me wrong. Moreover, the amount of press TFC gets in the Toronto media is very inconsistent, for example in the Toronto Sun which is available at my workplace everyday I notice that the Argos and the CFL have about two pages of coverage every day whereas TFC might get coverage once a week when they don't have a game, and get something on game days and after a game, however, the Argos have a page or two everyday it's not even close in the Sun the Argos I would say get so much more coverage in this particulay paper than TFC.

A local sports television reporter made that now infamous "lumbersports" comment last year.

I think larson does a good job for the sun. he uses tech (twitter, etc) alot ... i don't think many people read the actual paper anymore. He is a bit of a dicky dunn for the organization, but still provides good info

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's scarier to me even more so than our lousy TV numbers are that MLS still struggles on ESPN/ESPN2. Last weekend CFL games outdrew the MLS on ESPN2. A BC @ Winnipeg game drew 201,000 viewers on ESPN2 whereas the featured Sunday evening ESPN2 San Jose vs. Portland game could only draw 168,000 viewers nationally in the USA. That's not good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as has been pointed out, the could put reruns of lumberjacks sports or poker and draw more viewers.
    Thank god every weekend TFC is owned by TSN & SN.
    Recently heard that Vancouver are paying to get on TSN (covering half the loses)
    Again, I don't know where you're getting your numbers from, but this year TFC have been doing a lot better on TV side of things. They don't get 20K or less like lumberjack or poker shows.

Where did you hear about Vancouver paying to get on TSN? TSN has Canadian MLS rights and they're owned by Bell (you know, Vancouver's main sponsor). So I fail to see why Vancouver needs to pay to get on TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. Telus doesn't even carry sports on its western Canadian packages unless you buy a separate tier. It certainly isn't mandatory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its two deals: TSN has the national MLS rights and local VWFC rights.

National deal: TSN/MLS is a profit sharing deal but their are no profits since the games get sub-profitbable ratings and have significant productions costs.
    Local deal: SN walked from previous local deal with VWFC (this was when SN got NHL rights and was cutting all non-profitable programming and reduced headcount), TSN stepped in so the games would continue to be on TV (I'm sure Bell's sponsorship also contributed to them stepping in). My understanding is VWFC pays for some of the production costs.
    Also, note that TSN can't generate any significant revenue from the games since there are no commercials until halftime. Whereas, all other programming has commercials. So you have low ratings, high fixed production costs, and no commercials, its really hard for broadcasters to make any money. Due to high production costs for sporting events, you have to be in 150-200,000 range WITH COMMERCIALS to start making money in canada.
    Last edited by Qman; 08-09-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Nope. Telus doesn't even carry sports on its western Canadian packages unless you buy a separate tier. It certainly isn't mandatory.
    Sorry, to be clear, i was comparing the theScore (which was a CRTC mandated channel) to the nextgen channels like (lifetime, H2, ACTION, MTV, etc). Because of this, theScore probably in 5+million homes which is still huge... but yes not as many as TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its two deals: TSN has the national MLS rights and local VWFC rights.

National deal: TSN/MLS is a profit sharing deal but their are no profits since the games get sub-profitbable ratings and have significant productions costs.
    Local deal: SN walked from previous local deal with VWFC (this was when SN got NHL rights and was cutting all non-profitable programming and reduced headcount), TSN stepped in so the games would continue to be on TV (I'm sure Bell's sponsorship also contributed to them stepping in). My understanding is VWFC pays for some of the production costs.
    Also, note that TSN can't generate any significant revenue from the games since there are no commercials until halftime. Whereas, all other programming has commercials. So you have low ratings, high fixed production costs, and no commercials, its really hard for broadcasters to make any money. Due to high production costs for sporting events, you have to be in 150-200,000 range WITH COMMERCIALS to start making money in canada.
    So why doesn't Rogers any problems to broadcast regional TFC games? Besides, don't networks share each other streams depending who's home team? So production cost isn't as high as you might it out to be if they're sharing cost with other networks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why doesn't Rogers any problems to broadcast regional TFC games? Besides, don't networks share each other streams depending who's home team? So production cost isn't as high as you might it out to be if they're sharing cost with other networks.

Because Rogers owns a piece indirectly of TFC. Sportsnet is required to take 1/2 of the regional package. Obviously, Sportsnet is not thrilled with this because they are putting it on their bottom network SN360 and don't even promote it as many posters have noted on this thread.

Most networks will want their own cameras, equipment, truck and people. Ever been to a NHL game, u will usually see up to four cameras operating in the main camera bay doing the exact same main shot. However, I bet MLS tries to do do some feed sharing to save costs (in fact, i bet most regional package games in MLS are feed sharing ... another example of why the away sportsnet telecasts are so shitty compared with any TSN telecast)
    Last edited by Qman; 08-09-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because Rogers owns a piece indirectly of TFC. Sportsnet is required to take 1/2 of the regional package. Obviously, Sportsnet is not thrilled with this because they are putting it on their bottom network SN360 and don't even promote it as many posters have noted on this thread.
    What are you basing this on? Rogers not only partly own TFC, but they're also one of TFC's main sponsors while Bell who happens to own TFC, but they're main sponsor of Vancouver Whitecaps. Also, since when TSN/Bell have TFC regional TV rights? All TFC games on TSN are shown nationally not locally.

Most networks will want their own cameras, equipment, truck and people. Ever been to a NHL game, u will usually see up to four cameras operating in the main camera bay doing the exact same main shot. However, I bet MLS tries to do do some feed sharing to save costs (in fact, i bet most regional package games in MLS are feed sharing ... another example of why the away sportsnet telecasts are so shitty compared with any TSN telecast)
    So it goes back to my original question, why would Vancouver pay TSN to show their regional games (especially their away games)?

We all know that TSN needs content badly in summer time since CFL don't play too many games (they play total of 82 games through out summer and fall months). So this is why TSN/Bell is investing in soccer a lot more these days (they got FIFA and UEFA rights now, but don't be surprise when TSN renew their MLS TV rights contract).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, I have a basic rogers package and only get the regular sportsnet channels and i've seemed to have had a free preview of Sportsnet one for like a year. No 360.

If a game is on 360 and i'm not at said game, i watch it on MLS Live.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you basing this on? Rogers not only partly own TFC, but they're also one of TFC's main sponsors while Bell who happens to own TFC, but they're main sponsor of Vancouver Whitecaps. Also, since when TSN/Bell have TFC regional TV rights? All TFC games on TSN are shown nationally not locally.

So it goes back to my original question, why would Vancouver pay TSN to show their regional games (especially their away games)?

We all know that TSN needs content badly in summer time since CFL don't play too many games (they play total of 82 games through out summer and fall months). So this is why TSN/Bell is investing in soccer a lot more these days (they got FIFA and UEFA rights now, but don't be surprise when TSN renew their MLS TV rights contract).

When Rogers and Bell bought TD Capital's stake in MLSE, they have an agreement to split all the regional rights for all properties 50/50. so after the national package, the regional games 50% on SN and 50% on TSN. For TFC, TSN owns a national package, the rest of the games are regional games. The 3 cdn MLS have allowed there regional games to go national (no blackout like the NHL). That why you get some games on SN nationally.

Vancouver pays because the costs to put on these games is way higher than the revenue you generate (even on away games where you can grab a feed and fly in a small production & announcing team). your basically lessening TSN losses. TSN usually does way better with Sunday morning EPL, NASCAR and golf on saturday and sundays (no productions costs, right fees, far higher ratings).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Rogers and Bell bought TD Capital's stake in MLSE, they have an agreement to split all the regional rights for all properties 50/50. so after the national package, the regional games 50% on SN and 50% on TSN. For TFC, TSN owns a national package, the rest of the games are regional games. The 3 cdn MLS have allowed there regional games to go national (no blackout like the NHL). That why you get some games on SN nationally.

Vancouver pays because the costs to put on these games is way higher than the revenue you generate (even on away games where you can grab a feed and fly in a small production & announcing team). your basically lessening TSN losses. TSN usually does way better with Sunday morning EPL, NASCAR and golf on saturday and sundays (no productions costs, right fees, far higher ratings).
    But you still haven't told us where you hear this rumour from?

FYI: Rogers always show TFC games (they always had TFC TV regional rights) even before they bought part of MLSE.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The numbers indicate that the MLS game is still considered somewhat "fringe" in our area. That's fine though. Years ago we had GOLTV in Standard Definition or no coverage at all.

It's progress.

I'd be a little more concerned about the fact that they are in the playoff hunt, in terrific weather, with the MLS MVP and still aren't able to pack the house. Worse, it would look as though half that are attending aren't showing up until 30 mins or more into the game. Sort of an "event" feel rather than a passionate following by the masses.

The team itself is entertaining and should be a draw. IMO, MLS has image problems.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The numbers indicate that the MLS game is still considered somewhat "fringe" in our area. That's fine though. Years ago we had GOLTV in Standard Definition or no coverage at all.

It's progress.

I'd be a little more concerned about the fact that they are in the playoff hunt, in terrific weather, with the MLS MVP and still aren't able to pack the house. Worse, it would look as though half that are attending aren't showing up until 30 mins or more into the game. Sort of an "event" feel rather than a passionate following by the masses.

The team itself is entertaining and should be a draw. IMO, MLS has image problems.
    A little thing called Blue Jays baseball has knocked down the Reds a few notches too in terms of exposure. Even after Seba was on fire last Wednesday, the coverage in the Toronto Sun was page 14. Lesser performances earlier this season even got the front of the sports page.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely the Jays are hurting the numbers somewhat - but the number of no-shows at TFC games to me has always been concerning.

And the Jays are only going to dominate coverage even more moving forward making it even tougher for TFC (and the Argos) to garner attention. Last week from the holiday Monday through Sunday every one of the seven games the Jays played averaged OVER 1,000,000 viewers per game.

Attention on the Jays is so crazy right now it was even evident on the GO train ride into the TFC game Saturday full of mostly fans on the way to the TFC game. In the car I was in I overheard guys in TFC gear around me on the fairly packed train talking about the score in the Jays game. Then at one point somebody rather loudly said 'Jays have the bases loaded' and a murmur ran through the train. A few seconds later a guy loudly goes 'Yes!' and somebody else 'Grand Slam' and a bunch of people on the train applauded.

That frenzied attention (which reminds me of 1985 or 92 and 93) is only going to grow through the rest of the baseball season. Throw in the Babcock Leafs opening up training camp in September and games the first week of October - and TFC are going to virtually disappear. They needed to have garnered attention already - yet they haven't really. So now they are really in tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know it wouldnt be much to bring it close to Jays numbers
    but I would love to know MLS live numbers as well as teh hit count to the MLS page

Every TFC fan I know in person gets their game/highlights from the internet. I personally have never seen a via cable once TFC left CBC,