Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe TFC's numbers will pickup for the home opener - but this past Sunday night (up against hockey and the Raptors) the TFC game only drew 48,000 viewers in Canada. I haven't seen what the game got on Fox Sports 1 in the USA but they've laid some real rating eggs down there with their Sunday at 7:00PM games. The previous Sunday NYCFC and Portland attracted only 33,000 viewers on Fox Sports 1 across the USA. That's just plain brutal.

At some point these TV numbers have to start going up or else the MLS will have a real problem on its hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    Maybe TFC's numbers will pickup for the home opener - but this past Sunday night (up against hockey and the Raptors) the TFC game only drew 48,000 viewers in Canada. I haven't seen what the game got on Fox Sports 1 in the USA but they've laid some real rating eggs down there with their Sunday at 7:00PM games. The previous Sunday NYCFC and Portland attracted only 33,000 viewers on Fox Sports 1 across the USA. That's just plain brutal.

At some point these TV numbers have to start going up or else the MLS will have a real problem on its hands.
    Attendance driven league though....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV numbers is league wide problem.

TFC shouldn't be judge harshly on low TV ratings alone. Only way I could see better TV ratings for TFC is they start winning with style and/or quality of play improves to a point that they look like a major European club.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question - Does anyone think that if TFC ratings would be better if they played on a main station (TSN or Sportsnet not TSN2 or TSN3 or Sportsnet world) and at times that hockey does well with - Saturday 7pm/8pm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Question - Does anyone think that if TFC ratings would be better if they played on a main station (TSN or Sportsnet not TSN2 or TSN3 or Sportsnet world) and at times that hockey does well with - Saturday 7pm/8pm?

they stop putting most games on the main stations last few years because the ratings are so bad, even the whitecaps games have moved over this year to some extent (despite being walking bell ads)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was hard for tfc to compete with the Montreal v Ottawa nhl playoff game and the Raptors game all going on at the same time. So 50000 is pretty much what I expect. But I hear TV ratngs are a league wide concern...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post

It was supposed to be on Fox Sports 1 but a rain delay NASCAR race forced it on to Fox Sports 2, which a lot of people don't have apparently.

Orlando TFC got 190k viewers on FS1 IIRC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am amazed that game got 48,000. If the Raptors weren't losing 3-0 it would have been 8,000.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Yes, I think they would be better. I still don't think they would be good, but better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC got 75,000 viewers on TSN4 (aka TSN's Southern Ontario channel) which is great for regional ratings for MLS. Vancouver on national tv (their game was on all TSN channels) was only 110K which isn't that great if you compare it to TFC.

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...134818498.html

Based on TV numbers, TFC isn't doing that bad despite being on the road for first couple of months. TFC's home opener hopefully be north of 150K viewers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    TFC got 75,000 viewers on TSN4 (aka TSN's Southern Ontario channel) which is great for regional ratings for MLS. Vancouver on national tv (their game was on all TSN channels) was only 110K which isn't that great if you compare it to TFC.

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...134818498.html

Based on TV numbers, TFC isn't doing that bad despite being on the road for first couple of months. TFC's home opener hopefully be north of 150K viewers!
    If this was Vancouver vs Portland it was up against the biggest fight of the century.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

150k for the home opener would be a disappointment. With the cache of the opener, no Leafs, Raptors, and a new stadium buzz they should be able to crack 300k.

It it will drop off like a lead balloon a few weeks later but this should be a good weekend for viewers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    150k for the home opener would be a disappointment. With the cache of the opener, no Leafs, Raptors, and a new stadium buzz they should be able to crack 300k.

It it will drop off like a lead balloon a few weeks later but this should be a good weekend for viewers.
    Good weather and Mothers day. Wouldn't be so sure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Good weather and Mothers day. Wouldn't be so sure.
    Well, supposedly it will be full despite the good weather and Mother's Day. (Even if it isn't they will say it is). I think they will comfortably get in the range of 250k to +300k.

If a team owned by two media companies with investment in a new stadium can't generate the same amount of interest in the opener from last year, then there is a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, supposedly it will be full despite the good weather and Mother's Day. (Even if it isn't they will say it is). I think they will comfortably get in the range of 250k to +300k.

If a team owned by two media companies with investment in a new stadium can't generate the same amount of interest in the opener from last year, then there is a problem.
    They might be able to but don't forget that they did a good job hyping up Defoe last year with ad campaigns.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ true.

New stadiums have a cache though. People may tune in just to see it. And supposedly they have a buzz going with Giovinco in certain demographics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

193,000 on tsn watched that pathetic effort vs Houston. .... largest audience in a while ... maybe it was CFL fans checking out the new stadium
    Last edited by Qman; 05-12-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    193,000 watched that pathetic effort vs Houston. .... largest audience in a while ... maybe it was CFL fans checking out the new stadium
    That the US ESPN figure or TSN?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN, no cares about the 10 people that watched ESPN. This is canada ... only care about interest level here where it matters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    TSN, no cares about the 10 people that watched ESPN. This is canada ... only care about interest level here where it matters
    What's with the attitute?

I only asked as I hadn't seen the TSN number reported anywhere and the ESPN number was very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    What's with the attitute?

I only asked as I hadn't seen the TSN number reported anywhere and the ESPN number was very similar.
    I'm guess it was a sarcastic shot at cfl fans and their love for Canadian tv numbers

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

193k surprised me. TSN did over 300k for the opener last year. Without a calculator that's a dip nearing 40%.

I guess the Defoe signing was a big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the Defoe signing was a big deal.
    No...it was a BLOODY BIG DEAL!!!

(sorry couldnt' resist)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it has more to do with the weather and mother's day than anything else. People were arriving 30 minutes into the game in my section. I heard several talking about getting a late start because of mother's day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough I think the TFC game got hurt by at least a bit by an exciting golf tournament. (I know exciting and golf in the same sentence is an oxymoron to some - lol).

The last few holes of regulation and the playoff holes of the TPC was trending on Twitter during the TFC game and drew an average of over 570,000 viewers over the almost six hours it was on Global (from 2 - 8) with the audience growing late in regulation and playoff to over 800,000 in the late going. That is a huge rating for golf. Same in the USA where on NBC it was the third highest golf rating of the last year on any American network for any golf tournament.

FYI - the ESPN2 number in the USA for the Houston - TFC game was 177,000. So TSN and ESPN2 combined for 370,000 for the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was not able to attend the TFC/Impact game last night I had my own game to attend and coach, while driving to my game which started at 9 P.M. I turn on my radio to listen to the game on my way to my game. I tuned into the Fan 590 the game was not on I switched over to TSN 1050 the TFC game was not on there either, I had to go to my phone where I have the Montreal TSN radio affiliate App on my phone and found the game on there on the Montreal radio station who do all the Impact games home and away, so my question is what happened to the TFC games on local Toronto radio? TFC games were broadcast on either the Fan 590 or TSN 1050 in seasons past how come no more TFC games on radio in Toronto anymore, Montreal gets their games on the radio why not TFC anymore, kind of sad when you consider this team is owned by two media giants and yet they have none of their games on radio anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I was not able to attend the TFC/Impact game last night I had my own game to attend and coach, while driving to my game which started at 9 P.M. I turn on my radio to listen to the game on my way to my game. I tuned into the Fan 590 the game was not on I switched over to TSN 1050 the TFC game was not on there either, I had to go to my phone where I have the Montreal TSN radio affiliate App on my phone and found the game on there on the Montreal radio station who do all the Impact games home and away, so my question is what happened to the TFC games on local Toronto radio? TFC games were broadcast on either the Fan 590 or TSN 1050 in seasons past how come no more TFC games on radio in Toronto anymore, Montreal gets their games on the radio why not TFC anymore, kind of sad when you consider this team is owned by two media giants and yet they have none of their games on radio anymore.
    This^

its pathetic that I turn on the radio station of the company that's doing the game and instead of postgame I hear about the leafs offseason strategy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sports talk radio is cheaper then live sports commentary.

To be fair TSN does do an occassional TFC game, and they are doing all the WWC Canada matches.

But when you can stream most stuff through your phone, why use a radio (yes, I know driving).

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ radios don't require a modem rental or data plan?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ radios don't require a modem rental or data plan?
    Internet at home is pretty much a given for most people and I don't know about you, but I watched at least 3 World Cup games last year over my phone (but I'm on Wind).