Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2015 TFC TV rating

1) TFC @ Wankover on TSN1, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5: 353,000

Source:

Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman 41m41 minutes ago
    Season opener becomes TSN’s most-watched MLS game ever with average audience of 353,000 viewers and 1.9 million unique Canadian viewers

2) TFC @ Columbus on TSN2 - 58,000

Source: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...132357891.html
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-18-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    1) TFC @ Wankover on TSN1, TSN3, TSN4 and TSN5: 353,000

Source:

[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Considering no pre-game, poor marketing, 20 minutes was missed by a lot of people because of Curling, It's not bad. But it's not great either. 500 k would have been nice but maybe i'm pushing a little to hard.

Overall probably pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Considering no pre-game, poor marketing, 20 minutes was missed by a lot of people because of Curling, It's not bad. But it's not great either. 500 k would have been nice but maybe i'm pushing a little to hard.

Overall probably pretty good.
    Baby steps here.

TV ratings is league wide issue and TSN not having pre-game show and very little advertisement doesn't help promote MLS.

TFC just needs to become consistent winners to get solid TV ratings in the long term.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    TFC just needs to become consistent winners to get solid TV ratings in the long term.

Local winners draw people, who drop in periodically once the team doesn't win in future years.

Secret of the CFL's success actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive number, but no doubt buoyed by the fact that the match involved Canada's largest markets.

If TFC can maintain a winning record this season, I think 300K might be a realistic number on a consistent basis in due course, depending on scheduling conflicts. It's always going to be an uphill battle going up against the Jays.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Impressive number, but no doubt buoyed by the fact that the match involved Canada's largest markets.

If TFC can maintain a winning record this season, I think 300K might be a realistic number on a consistent basis in due course, depending on scheduling conflicts. It's always going to be an uphill battle going up against the Jays.
    Or buoyed by the fact that the game was sandwiched in between 2 curling games which drew two times the TV numbers.

I'd wait a few games before declaring ratings victory, we've seen year after year that the first few games are a high draw, and then they settle for 100k or less on the TSN main channel. Which has more or less been the average for TFC/MLS since it's inception, to suddenly have a 200% increase, which be great for soccer, but IMO completely unrealistic even if Canadian MLS teams fielded a competitive product.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    TSN has about 9.2m, Sportsnet 8.8ish
    Those are the numbers for the main channels, yes? I'm curious how their lesser channels compare. We always see a drop in ratings on TSN 2 and SN1/360, so I've always been curious of those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    That's an amazing number compared to America. Soccer is by far a bigger deal up her than down there. That would be like 3.5 million viewers in US when you consider US is 10x bigger than Canada.
    Yes, but as Americans point out in many threads, the game included two of the largest cities in our country with populations that make up a significant chunk of our overall national population. It's a bit hard to compare. A better comparison would be how local audiences numbers compare. The vast majority of those 350 000 are individuals from TO and Van. If we looked at a nationally televised Sounders-Galaxy game, you'd likely get as good if not better numbers just from the Seattle and LA areas.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nas View Post
    Those are the numbers for the main channels, yes? I'm curious how their lesser channels compare. We always see a drop in ratings on TSN 2 and SN1/360, so I've always been curious of those numbers.
    Yes, main channel. I'm unsure how the lesser channels compare, I can't find that information.
    It looks like with the Big 2 providers (Rogers and Bell) works with a 3 tier system

With Basic you get the owners main channel - (SportsNet or TSN)
    The next level you'll get both.
    3rd level you'll get TSN2 & SportsNet1/360

Telus (Alberta and BC) You purchase a sports package which gives you all of the above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but as Americans point out in many threads, the game included two of the largest cities in our country with populations that make up a significant chunk of our overall national population. It's a bit hard to compare. A better comparison would be how local audiences numbers compare. The vast majority of those 350 000 are individuals from TO and Van. If we looked at a nationally televised Sounders-Galaxy game, you'd likely get as good if not better numbers just from the Seattle and LA areas.
    Look at espns numbers from las year. They would be lucky to get 300k viewers even with big markets playing in them. That's in a country with 325+ million people.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Or buoyed by the fact that the game was sandwiched in between 2 curling games which drew two times the TV numbers.

I'd wait a few games before declaring ratings victory, we've seen year after year that the first few games are a high draw, and then they settle for 100k or less on the TSN main channel. Which has more or less been the average for TFC/MLS since it's inception, to suddenly have a 200% increase, which be great for soccer, but IMO completely unrealistic even if Canadian MLS teams fielded a competitive product.
    This thread is such a downer. Always. And that's coming from a Canada supporter.

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next game is on TSN2 so expect a big drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have stats on the number of subscriptions for TSN/TSN2 SN1/SN360? In previous years my guess would be that TSN2 would have SN1 and SN360 beat, but with all the NHL on Sportsnet this year, I wouldn't be surprised if that's changed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have stats on the number of subscriptions for TSN/TSN2 SN1/SN360? In previous years my guess would be that TSN2 would have SN1 and SN360 beat, but with all the NHL on Sportsnet this year, I wouldn't be surprised if that's changed.
    TSN has about 9.2m, Sportsnet 8.8ish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's an amazing number compared to America. Soccer is by far a bigger deal up her than down there. That would be like 3.5 million viewers in US when you consider US is 10x bigger than Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True that.

3.5M viewers in the USA is a big deal.

That's basically what we drew in comparison here in Canada per capita.

EDIT: The TV Series Mad Men which is highly rated and critically acclaimed would draw similar numbers: http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...ive-us-viewers
    Last edited by Alonso; 03-10-2015 at 04:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    True that.

3.5M viewers in the USA is a big deal.

That's basically what we drew in comparison here in Canada per capita.
    Unless its the world cup, soccer doesn't draw 3.5 million viewers in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These promising ratings are being noticed. Quote from Leafs' coverage in today's Sun:

"Even the TFC got more than 50% of the Leaf rating and head-to-head in the same time slot," an advertising executive familiar with the Canadian sports broadcasting landscape said.

The Leafs, going head-to-head on the more widely available CBC, topped out at 743,000. Both hockey and football were dwarfed by the Brier at 1.25 million on TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Red View Post
    These promising ratings are being noticed. Quote from Leafs' coverage in today's Sun:

"Even the TFC got more than 50% of the Leaf rating and head-to-head in the same time slot," an advertising executive familiar with the Canadian sports broadcasting landscape said.

The Leafs, going head-to-head on the more widely available CBC, topped out at 743,000. Both hockey and football were dwarfed by the Brier at 1.25 million on TSN.
    Who the fuck are these people? Can we give them their own country

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Most of them live out in the prairies. Not a whole lot for them to do during their frigid winters. Having spent a few winters out there, I should know. Curling's a big deal and their regional tournaments get huge write-ups in the local papers.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    Most of them live out in the prairies. Not a whole lot for them to do during their frigid winters. Having spent a few winters out there, I should know. Curling's a big deal and their regional tournaments get huge write-ups in the local papers.
    I think it's a bit of a misconception when it comes to curling and cfl numbers that most of the viewers are out on the praires. Manitoba Sask and Alberta only have about 7 million people combined. I doubt everyone out there is a curling fan. I think there are lots of closet curling and cfl fans that don't admit for whatever reason that they watch it. i'll watch curling the odd time especially the women.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a bit of a misconception when it comes to curling and cfl numbers that most of the viewers are out on the praires. Manitoba Sask and Alberta only have about 7 million people combined. I doubt everyone out there is a curling fan. I think there are lots of closet curling and cfl fans that don't admit for whatever reason that they watch it. i'll watch curling the odd time especially the women.
    Viewpoints expressed here about the validity of curling or CFL is really a reflection of these commentators hemmed in by their personal demographics such as where they live, circle of friends/family and/or age bracket. To top it off, they don't attempt to widen their worldview by seeking out multiple sources of info/insight on the interwebs. So, it's no surprise they're shocked! that curling or CFL blow away TFC ratings. In a way, they're just like the vaccine or climate change deniers.

I would also say curling has much upside as MLS in Canada. Curling is relatively new to the Olympics and Canada dominates the sport. So, govt funding is pouring in & there is a wider talent pool interested in becoming elite players. Sportsnet is funding its own curling tournaments and showing provincial playdowns which are getting 200-300k ratings which is the same as the avg Raptors game. Only Christine Sinclair would come close to the name recognition of Jennifer Jones or Brad Jacobs across Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Viewpoints expressed here about the validity of curling or CFL is really a reflection of these commentators hemmed in by their personal demographics such as where they live, circle of friends/family and/or age bracket. To top it off, they don't attempt to widen their worldview by seeking out multiple sources of info/insight on the interwebs. So, it's no surprise they're shocked! that curling or CFL blow away TFC ratings. In a way, they're just like the vaccine or climate change deniers.

I would also say curling has much upside as MLS in Canada. Curling is relatively new to the Olympics and Canada dominates the sport. So, govt funding is pouring in & there is a wider talent pool interested in becoming elite players. Sportsnet is funding its own curling tournaments and showing provincial playdowns which are getting 200-300k ratings which is the same as the avg Raptors game. Only Christine Sinclair would come close to the name recognition of Jennifer Jones or Brad Jacobs across Canada.
    Sorry, I am Canadian and I have no clue who those two were until I google their names.

Anyway, TORONTO and pretty much rest of Southern Ontario is different beast when comes to sports where curling and CFL isn't popular while soccer is up and coming sport (which is why MLSE got into soccer business and investing a lot of money in their soccer operation these days). Curling isn't urban sport that will have a huge following in this region. Curling culture isn't there to be appealing in this region, so I fail to see how they have bigger upside than soccer which has highest participation numbers in this country while World Cup ratings (despite lack of Canadian content) crush Curling's biggest tournament TV ratings.
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-10-2015 at 08:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.....not necessarily.

I grew up curling. Watched the Orest Melynchuk burned rock incident during the Silver Broom. Family curled. Know the game. Enjoy watching it occasionally, although the men's game at the top levels has become too perfect.

I miss the corn brooms and the synthetic ones that followed. Nothing like a big WAP WAP WAP sound in the rink.

Also know who the demographic is, outside of the prairies. I stand by my statement that its a game mostly followed by boomers and older then them. i.e 55+

When it comes to recognition of Canadian athletes, curling probably ranks 3rd behind hockey and basketball. BUT, far more Canadians would know Messi and Ronaldo then any curler or basketball player.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demographics for curling are older with money. Pre Boomers and Boomers.

They have had the country for awhile. We are slowly taking it back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Careful. Some of us even walk among you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have their own country and you're living in it. At least we can win on the international stage in curling. Footy still has a long way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if darts can get an audience, curling surely can too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it in the bar and I'll say it here.

I fucking love me some curling.

Pro Tip: You don't have to hate curling (or the CFL for that matter) to like footie. It's seriously not required!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The curling numbers are interesting , it gets amazing numbers but I never hear anyone at my work place talk curling, you never hear kids at school talk curling, you don't hear curling talk on the street,however, you do hear most of the other sports talked about at work, with kids and on the street but then you look at the numbers and you see these crazy ratings it's amazing. The only thing that pisses me off is that TSN you have so many channels can you not switch the game to one of your other channels if the curling is going a bit longer? Moreover, you show MLS soccer you think you can advertise the upcoming games a bit more, at least try and see if it helps the ratings a bit my letting people know the MLS is on your stations!
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 03-10-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    The curling numbers are interesting , it gets amazing numbers but I never hear anyone at my work place talk curling, you never hear kids at school talk curling, you don't hear curling talk on the street,however, you do hear most of the other sports talked about at work, with kids and on the street but then you look at the numbers and you see these crazy ratings it's amazing. The only thing that pisses me off is that TSN you have so many channels can you not switch the game to one of your other channels if the curling is going a bit longer? Moreover, you show MLS soccer you think you can advertise the upcoming games a bit more, at least try and see if it helps the ratings a bit my letting people know the MLS is on your stations!
    Go to the prairies as noted above. It's massive there, you will hear about it all the time if you talk to people over 50. I think it's also big on the east coast.