Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    yes back on topic

any tips on building a backyard curling rink? lol im fully intrigued.
    way more fun than axe throwing
    Wait a year, it is too warm to do it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    yes back on topic

any tips on building a backyard curling rink? lol im fully intrigued.
    way more fun than axe throwing
    Maybe these folks could help you out
    http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015...-junction.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to curl myself and plan too do it again someday, Even here in Guelph Curling is quite popular amogst the 35 to 60 crowd. But At the same time I do find the numbers TSN get for curling interesting. I think most the tv viewing comes form the Praires But nonetheless If we want to see great rating TFC have to be very competitive through the year. Lets not forget the first few seasons the games were carried on CBC which has a bigger audience than TSN

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

350 is about right for a season opener involving 2 CDN markets.

Vancouver drew about 115k on average last year. TFC was slightly below that. Add them together and throw in some curious viewers and there you go.

I don't know what to make of the season long trend. I imagine these will drop again like last year and there will be some lows in there. I think fans in general just don't see value in MLS and when the time comes MLS playoffs. Sure they will watch if TFC makes it but how many of us will watch if they don't.

All in all, still happy to see the games on mainstream and those are nice numbers out of the gate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    350 is about right for a season opener involving 2 CDN markets.

Vancouver drew about 115k on average last year. TFC was slightly below that. Add them together and throw in some curious viewers and there you go.

I don't know what to make of the season long trend. I imagine these will drop again like last year and there will be some lows in there. I think fans in general just don't see value in MLS and when the time comes MLS playoffs. Sure they will watch if TFC makes it but how many of us will watch if they don't.

All in all, still happy to see the games on mainstream and those are nice numbers out of the gate.
    I notice they have an "individual viewers" breakout; isn't that the actual rating, with the 350K the number of households? TV ratings are traditionally by number of viewers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to remember also that when ratings are calculated they just don't use certain age groups or geography for the final number. They are calculated across the whole country just not the praires or Ontario etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS.COM actually has a thread saying the 3 mentioned games had big ratings. 2 of the three were outwatched by a significant number in a country with 1/10 the population. It's pretty embarrassing saying big ratings for games with 268k and 289k viewers.
    Last edited by habstfc; 03-11-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ESPN2 audience number was a surprise though. A typical non-Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal Prem game on NBCSN gets those kind of numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fox numbers were double the average for NBCSN last year. So while it's nothing to really shout about it is a small sign of progress.

Have to keep it up though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish MLS posted MLS live (or whatever it is now) numbers, including people who watched it as a replay. Even viewers of condensed version would be worth looking at because that "urban" crowd just dont sit on the couch and watch 2 hours of sports

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost expect the ratings to drop as the weather improves. Hard to justify sitting indoors watching TV on a nice day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ouch! Only 58,000 viewers for Saturdays game. At least we beat the CIS basketball final.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...132357891.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I almost expect the ratings to drop as the weather improves. Hard to justify sitting indoors watching TV on a nice day.
    That's why every good deck needs a flatscreen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    Ouch! Only 58,000 viewers for Saturdays game. At least we beat the CIS basketball final.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...132357891.html
    wow. thats pathetic.

MLSE has do better at marketing this club and promoting outside the core fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this last season. One mitigating factor - it was TSN2 while there was another game going on with VCWC.

That having been said, none of those numbers are really all that good. 1 out of 15 people watching hockey isn't exactly indicative that hockey is the be all and end all of life in this country.

We get really interested in the Olympics and in finals.

Apart from that, all sports in this country is a small slice of Canadian life.

No need getting warped about all of this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting games on Saturday nights is generally dumb. This debate has been had here before - the large number of people on this board that dislike 4pm starts and like Sat night games are totally unrepresentative. By definition casual fans, and people with spouses that aren't fanatics, are busy elsewhere on Saturday nights. Doing this against HNIC in this country is particularly hard to understand.

This league has so many scheduling issues.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-18-2015 at 06:34 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody know what number TFC's game in Salt Lake City got in Canadian ratings last week? It drew 211,000 on Fox Sports 1 in the USA - the #35 of programs that week on that network which averaged 231,000 for all programming that week.

At least that beat the ESPN2 game last Sunday between Chicago and Philly which drew just 152,000. Not the greatest number considering the average of all programming on ESPN2 for the week was 221,000. The MLS game was the 79th rated program on ESPN2's schedule that week.

I guess growing the TV numbers is going to be a slow process for the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They'd probably grow the TV ratings quicker if they presented the game like we're seeing on Euro Sport streams.

I'd rather watch a mid-quality video stream with that broadcast than any of the shit we're given through TSN/SN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TravelPat View Post
    Anybody know what number TFC's game in Salt Lake City got in Canadian ratings last week? It drew 211,000 on Fox Sports 1 in the USA - the #35 of programs that week on that network which averaged 231,000 for all programming that week.

At least that beat the ESPN2 game last Sunday between Chicago and Philly which drew just 152,000. Not the greatest number considering the average of all programming on ESPN2 for the week was 221,000. The MLS game was the 79th rated program on ESPN2's schedule that week.

I guess growing the TV numbers is going to be a slow process for the MLS.
    Well - it was less than 130,000

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...193007391.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the problem is more fundamental than just quality of streaming or whether it is nice outside.

I think ratings struggle both in season and in playoffs for the same fundamental reason, the target audience doesn't relate to the playoff format.

North Americans are used to playoffs to settle things. But soccer/football fans aren't. It encourages a "bush league" or second tier aspect to MLS and makes it hard to legitimize it as a "true" soccer/football league.

By having a playoff format within MLS you introduce a number of reasons for the general soccer/football fan not to watch. For example:

• Every game doesn't have meaning. A single table encourages an importance on every point.

• Similarly, what's the point of winning the table in the regular season to get knocked out early on? It speaks to the authenticity of the league in the minds of true soccer/football fans.

• Coaches, who claim games aren't "must win" games feed that. The conclusion is that if I'm busy and it's not a must win, I may not watch.

• The number of teams that qualify for the post season isn't yet at CFL ridiculousness but what are we at now... 12 of 20? 60%? C'mon.

• Unbalanced schedule hurts that perception too. How can you claim to be a top team if you haven't played everyone equally? This isn't at NHL levels where they manufactured rivalries with local teams playing each other 8 times in a season a few years back but it feels contrived in the interest of gate receipts, doesn't it?

And that fuels the pattern, IMO.

The pattern is that the first game or two attracts ratings as people are hungry to see the game return. It then fades. Picks up towards the end of the season if you are in an interesting spot but ultimately if your team isn't involved you lose interest in the whole process that is the race to the MLS Cup.

Even if they are involved, you wonder what the point of that long regular season was. That makes you less likely to watch games that aren't the home opener or derby matches throughout the regular season.

Interesting hypothesis, would doing away with the playoffs actually improve the ratings? I think it might.
    Last edited by Pookie; 04-06-2015 at 11:52 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah......lack of playoffs don't mean that much. Soccer just isn't a big TV sport in Canada or the US apart from the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every game doesn't have meaning. A single table encourages an importance on every point.
    Agreed. With 6/10 making the playoffs this season, matches just don't feel worth a whole lot of anything. It's like baseball. 160 something games of trading wins and losses.

Similarly, what's the point of winning the table in the regular season to get knocked out early on? It speaks to the authenticity of the league in the minds of true soccer/football fans.
    Other than a spot in the CCL, it's nearly useless. CCL (must to my personal dismay) is also, nearly useless.

Coaches, who claim games aren't "must win" games feed that. The conclusion is that if I'm busy and it's not a must win, I may not watch.
    Yep. You can always get your points another week.

The number of teams that qualify for the post season isn't yet at CFL ridiculousness but what are we at now... 12 of 20? 60%? C'mon.
    Even 4/10 would be too much IMO.

Unbalanced schedule hurts that perception too. How can you claim to be a top team if you haven't played everyone equally? This isn't at NHL levels where they manufactured rivalries with local teams playing each other 8 times in a season a few years back but it feels contrived in the interest of gate receipts, doesn't it?
    I can't think of a reputable pro sports league that has a season schedule as awful as this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem is more fundamental than just quality of streaming or whether it is nice outside.

I think ratings struggle both in season and in playoffs for the same fundamental reason, the target audience doesn't relate to the playoff format.

North Americans are used to playoffs to settle things. But soccer/football fans aren't. It encourages a "bush league" or second tier aspect to MLS and makes it hard to legitimize it as a "true" soccer/football league.

By having a playoff format within MLS you introduce a number of reasons for the general soccer/football fan not to watch. For example:

• Every game doesn't have meaning. A single table encourages an importance on every point.

• Similarly, what's the point of winning the table in the regular season to get knocked out early on? It speaks to the authenticity of the league in the minds of true soccer/football fans.

• Coaches, who claim games aren't "must win" games feed that. The conclusion is that if I'm busy and it's not a must win, I may not watch.

• The number of teams that qualify for the post season isn't yet at CFL ridiculousness but what are we at now... 12 of 20? 60%? C'mon.
    Yet in a lot of cases, just that 3 points you won or lost early season may be the difference between whether you make the playoffs or not.

• Unbalanced schedule hurts that perception too. How can you claim to be a top team if you haven't played everyone equally? This isn't at NHL levels where they manufactured rivalries with local teams playing each other 8 times in a season a few years back but it feels contrived in the interest of gate receipts, doesn't it?

Can't argue much here. Then again, some leagues play each other 3 times a year and that extra home game slightly tilts the odds in that team's favour.

And that fuels the pattern, IMO.

The pattern is that the first game or two attracts ratings as people are hungry to see the game return. It then fades. Picks up towards the end of the season if you are in an interesting spot but ultimately if your team isn't involved you lose interest in the whole process that is the race to the MLS Cup.

Even if they are involved, you wonder what the point of that long regular season was. That makes you less likely to watch games that aren't the home opener or derby matches throughout the regular season.

Interesting hypothesis, would doing away with the playoffs actually improve the ratings? I think it might.
    With no playoffs, and with no pro/rel (I don't even want to get into that discussion), if a team turns out to be league winner by mid season, then the counterargument is, what's the point of watching games when you already know who the league champion is going to be. And if you know your team is going to be mid table by mid season, would you be more or less inclined to watch your team?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    I can't think of a reputable pro sports league that has a season schedule as awful as this one.
    NFL?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday April 4th / 2015 - Chicago Fire vs Toronto FC - SportsNet One = 90,000

Adult 18-34 = 15,000
    Adult 18-49 = 55,000
    Adult 25-54 = 55,000

Males 18-34 = 10,000
    Males 18-49 = 34,000
    Males 25-54 = 31,000

* Please note the cross-over years in the data collected - the total of the categories will not equal the total audience.

Carts.
    Last edited by Carts; 04-06-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nah......lack of playoffs don't mean that much. Soccer just isn't a big TV sport in Canada or the US apart from the World Cup.
    Yeah, I think you're right. And with so much competition for TV viewers, probably the best way to improve ratings is through these kinds of 'event' programming - like playoffs. Short periods of intense viewing. The NFL was likely only able to move in on baseball in the first place by event programming - Monday Night Football and the Super Bowl.

Even TV dramas have gone to shorter seasons - 13 episodes or less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    Saturday April 4th / 2015 - Chicago Fire vs Toronto FC - SportsNet One = 90,000

Adult 18-34 = 15,000
    Adult 18-49 = 55,000
    Adult 25-54 = 55,000

Males 18-34 = 10,000
    Males 18-49 = 34,000
    Males 25-54 = 31,000

* Please note the cross-over years in the data collected - the total of the categories will not equal the total audience.

Carts.

interesting that most of the viewers are 35-49 yrs old. And 40% are female. people in my section seem younger and not alot of women.

still numbers are so low and pathetic that you cant read too much into it. Got to hand it to MLSE they've put the money into the Stadium despite getting no traction on interest level. Maybe some of that money would have been better spent on marketing.
    Last edited by Qman; 04-06-2015 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well, it's the quality of the league mostly. If MLS was a top 5 league and the average salary was $1,000,000 +, the league's ratings would be stellar in both countries.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    So... Mexicans and Central Americans with playoffs aren't true soccer fans? Australians? Some Europeans?
    Of course they are true fans. But I'd wager that they are not in MLS' target market. Most of the big names have been European. Not saying that the talent from Central America isn't there as there have been some fantastic players. But the big names that are brought here for tickets usually come from Europe.

With no playoffs, and with no pro/rel (I don't even want to get into that discussion), if a team turns out to be league winner by mid season, then the counterargument is, what's the point of watching games when you already know who the league champion is going to be. And if you know your team is going to be mid table by mid season, would you be more or less inclined to watch your team?
    That is hard to counter. I guess the only real question is would viewership be less than it is now by mid-season?

You might see the Open Cup take on more prominence and perhaps a new North American Cup type format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be interesting to see what the ratings would be like if we ever managed to put a winning streak together.