Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Curling.. I also spent Grade 1 through Grade 7 in Northern Ontario and Manitoba where we would go curling for gym. When I came to southern Ontario.. no curling. It is a neat sport. Though I think ya it is mostly Boomer and Pre Boomers. it's like Bocce. When I was growing up the Bocce court was always in use in Niagara Falls but I game back to the falls and the local court is over grown, hasn't been used in years. Which is a shame I actually like it.

Of course I don't know anyone my age that has been to two Briers (at least one was Labatt Brier I can't recall if it was Labatt or Timmies in Hamilton) without regularly playing, and I haven't played in decades.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-10-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Viewpoints expressed here about the validity of curling or CFL is really a reflection of these commentators hemmed in by their personal demographics such as where they live, circle of friends/family and/or age bracket. To top it off, they don't attempt to widen their worldview by seeking out multiple sources of info/insight on the interwebs. So, it's no surprise they're shocked! that curling or CFL blow away TFC ratings. In a way, they're just like the vaccine or climate change deniers.

I would also say curling has much upside as MLS in Canada. Curling is relatively new to the Olympics and Canada dominates the sport. So, govt funding is pouring in & there is a wider talent pool interested in becoming elite players. Sportsnet is funding its own curling tournaments and showing provincial playdowns which are getting 200-300k ratings which is the same as the avg Raptors game. Only Christine Sinclair would come close to the name recognition of Jennifer Jones or Brad Jacobs across Canada.
    Sorry, I am Canadian and I have no clue who those two were until I google their names.

Anyway, TORONTO and pretty much rest of Southern Ontario is different beast when comes to sports where curling and CFL isn't popular while soccer is up and coming sport (which is why MLSE got into soccer business and investing a lot of money in their soccer operation these days). Curling isn't urban sport that will have a huge following in this region. Curling culture isn't there to be appealing in this region, so I fail to see how they have bigger upside than soccer which has highest participation numbers in this country while World Cup ratings (despite lack of Canadian content) crush Curling's biggest tournament TV ratings.
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-10-2015 at 08:35 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr k View Post
    Viewpoints expressed here about the validity of curling or CFL is really a reflection of these commentators hemmed in by their personal demographics such as where they live, circle of friends/family and/or age bracket. To top it off, they don't attempt to widen their worldview by seeking out multiple sources of info/insight on the interwebs. So, it's no surprise they're shocked! that curling or CFL blow away TFC ratings. In a way, they're just like the vaccine or climate change deniers.
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.....not necessarily.

I grew up curling. Watched the Orest Melynchuk burned rock incident during the Silver Broom. Family curled. Know the game. Enjoy watching it occasionally, although the men's game at the top levels has become too perfect.

I miss the corn brooms and the synthetic ones that followed. Nothing like a big WAP WAP WAP sound in the rink.

Also know who the demographic is, outside of the prairies. I stand by my statement that its a game mostly followed by boomers and older then them. i.e 55+

When it comes to recognition of Canadian athletes, curling probably ranks 3rd behind hockey and basketball. BUT, far more Canadians would know Messi and Ronaldo then any curler or basketball player.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can agree with part of that. Curling ratings or cfl are no fluke however.., to suggest curling due for a growth spurt is a bit laughable. Plenty of sports go to the Olympics then get dumped later. It's got its core audience but it's not going any further.

Here is some actual evidence, as opposed to random comments about "widening ones worldview". The sport is essentially stagnant: 19k less people curl now than they did in 2008.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/curling/prairies-remain-the-bedrock-for-canadian-curling
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekend ratings in US.
    539k OCSC vs NYCFC
    268k SKC vs NYRB
    289k Seattle vs NER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Sorry, I am Canadian and I have no clue who those two were until I google their names.

Anyway, TORONTO and pretty much rest of Southern Ontario is different beast when comes to sports where curling and CFL isn't popular while soccer is up and coming sport (which is why MLSE got into soccer business and investing a lot of money in their soccer operation these days). Curling isn't urban sport that will have a huge following in this region. Curling culture isn't there to be appealing in this region, so I fail to see how they have bigger upside than soccer which has highest participation numbers in this country while World Cup ratings (despite lack of Canadian content) crush Curling's biggest tournament TV ratings.
    You must not have TSN or Sportsnet if you've never heard of Jennifer Jones.

Can't compare World Cup to anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    You must not have TSN or Sportsnet if you've never heard of Jennifer Jones.

Can't compare World Cup to anything.
    I don't watch Canadian sports network outside TheScore aka Sportsnet360 since they suck and don't know what they're talking about outside of hockey.

I like many people these days get news from social media and non-Canadian media outlets who actually know what they're talking about when comes to sports like basketball and soccer while provide BALANCE sports coverage that we don't see in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekend ratings in US.
    539k OCSC vs NYCFC
    268k SKC vs NYRB
    289k Seattle vs NER
    That's brutal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't watch Canadian sports network outside TheScore aka Sportsnet360 since they suck and don't know what they're talking about outside of hockey.

I like many people these days get news from social media and non-Canadian media outlets who actually know what they're talking about when comes to sports like basketball and soccer while provide BALANCE sports coverage that we don't see in Canada.
    TFC07 just out of curiosity because you are in Brampton, are you first generation Canadian and only lived in the GTA? (serious question without judgement, I'm just curious if the lack of curling knowledge is a Brampton thing (as there really aren't that many rinks (I know 3) for a town of 500k I know towns a tenth that size in the north with that many, or if it is a larger southern Ontario issue)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    TFC07 just out of curiosity because you are in Brampton, are you first generation Canadian and only lived in the GTA? (serious question without judgement, I'm just curious if the lack of curling knowledge is a Brampton thing (as there really aren't that many rinks (I know 3) for a town of 500k I know towns a tenth that size in the north with that many, or if it is a larger southern Ontario issue)
    Yes and Yes to your questions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    That's brutal.
    Theyre actually quite happy with those numbers. They're a significant increase over last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like TFC. I also like curling. I was born and raised in southern Ontario but have since moved to northern Alberta and the Yukon. It's liked everywhere, and the curling club is sincerely the backbone of small-town Canada.

And as for curling ratings? I know the Brier is not the Scotties, but still ...

We all know Rachel Homan, correct? The best part is that there are other female curlers out there who are just as talented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Theyre actually quite happy with those numbers. They're a significant increase over last year.
    They are actually pretty crap considering it was opening weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are actually pretty crap considering it was opening weekend.
    How is that crap? pretty decent imo, just around what tfc got...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supporting View Post
    How is that crap? pretty decent imo, just around what tfc got...
    318 million potential viewers vs 35 million...not the same. Just look at the amount of sports team the US supports, with the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB and they could only muster half a million for the debut of NYFC and OCSC, and barley a quarter for Sea vs NE, 2 teams poised to do well this year. Thats not even one tenth of what the other leagues would expect on opening day, those numbers are shockingly bad!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    The curling numbers are interesting , it gets amazing numbers but I never hear anyone at my work place talk curling, you never hear kids at school talk curling, you don't hear curling talk on the street,however, you do hear most of the other sports talked about at work, with kids and on the street but then you look at the numbers and you see these crazy ratings it's amazing. The only thing that pisses me off is that TSN you have so many channels can you not switch the game to one of your other channels if the curling is going a bit longer? Moreover, you show MLS soccer you think you can advertise the upcoming games a bit more, at least try and see if it helps the ratings a bit my letting people know the MLS is on your stations!
    Go to the prairies as noted above. It's massive there, you will hear about it all the time if you talk to people over 50. I think it's also big on the east coast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To provide a counter point, I know a lot of Canadians I could ask that would have no idea who DeRo or Christine Sinclair is. It's all about your point of reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    I like TFC. I also like curling. I was born and raised in southern Ontario but have since moved to northern Alberta and the Yukon. It's liked everywhere, and the curling club is sincerely the backbone of small-town Canada.

And as for curling ratings? I know the Brier is not the Scotties, but still ...

We all know Rachel Homan, correct? The best part is that there are other female curlers out there who are just as talented.

Never heard of her.

I've seen a hand full of curling matches during the Olympics and that's about it.

Never read or seen a single news item on it ever either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curling is fun to play, but it doesn't exactly make for riveting television. I find the ratings to be fascinating.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...n2-opener.html

Just first week, but TV ratings MLS wide is up
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

come one people, how are we comparing curling to soccer

one is small town Canada, the other requires top physical conditioning.

Its bocce on ice. I dont hate curling, would love to play in a league someday. But we aren't comparing apples to apples here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Curling is fun to play, but it doesn't exactly make for riveting television. I find the ratings to be fascinating.
    I have a bunch of family that watch curling without fail. Interesting enough, several of them find soccer "incredibly boring". It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    come one people, how are we comparing curling to soccer

one is small town Canada, the other requires top physical conditioning.

Its bocce on ice. I dont hate curling, would love to play in a league someday. But we aren't comparing apples to apples here
    Actually, you'll find a lot of folks in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon and Regina that are very into it, so it's not exactly just small town. Doesn't really matter though, people have different interests. I personally know a lot of people that find football boring. To each there own (but I do find watching curling about as appealing as watching paint dry)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I have a bunch of family that watch curling without fail. Interesting enough, several of them find soccer "incredibly boring". It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Actually, you'll find a lot of folks in Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon and Regina that are very into it, so it's not exactly just small town. Doesn't really matter though, people have different interests. I personally know a lot of people that find football boring. To each there own (but I do find watching curling about as appealing as watching paint dry)

David Naylor and Steve Simmons actually touched on this a week or so ago. Ratings, sports talk, and what interests Toronto, doesn't interest the rest of the country.

Copying a post from another forum.
    "Basically the two said that if they based their station format on national TV numbers they would be talking NHL, CFL and Curling.
    They also went on to say the Toronto sports view is heavily scewed towards the United States and what is hot in Toronto (Raptors especially) is not even on the radar in the rest of the country."

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/tsn-drive-hour-3-1.224277

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get this hate-on for curling here and the desperate desire to marginalize it or distance oneself from it. We should embrace its popularity as wonderfully and almost uniquely Canadian (Hell, let's work it into a TIFO!). It is popular -- accept it, learn from it, enjoy it.

I live downtown Toronto. I am an immigrant (from a non-curling country). I love footy. On most Sunday mornings instead of just rolling out of bed and turning on the TV I go to a curling club and watch the early EPL match with a bunch of other people. After the game I curl for 2 hours. The people I play with, demographically, look identical to the people standing around me in 112 (most in their 20's and 30's with a generous spattering of robust grey hairs passing on what they've learned). And, unlike TFC, there is a real waiting list of people wishing to join. Contrary to what people have said here, the majority (18%) of Canadian curlers are youth, between the ages of 12-17 and a large section of them (25%) live in three cities: Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

Like other things that were once almost uniquely and stereotypically Canadian (lumber jack shirts, toques, burly beards and good beer) curling has even become hip in that place that arbitrates all that is hip for Toronto: Brooklyn, New York.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/ny...=nyregion&_r=3

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...ters-1.2902591

Leave it to Torontoians to abandon their rightful claim to a unique element of Canadian culture just as it becomes cool.
    Last edited by Commie Red; 03-11-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea what that number means.

In May 2007, TFC drew 500K for a game on CBC sandwiched between two NHL playoff games.

There also has to be a novelty factor for the early games with Giovinco.

Let's see what happens to the July/August numbers. Last year TFC was in playoff position and drawing 100K for weekend home games on TSN, and 30K or worse for western road games on Sportsnet 360 or TSN2. That is the apples to apples comparison.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-11-2015 at 12:39 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that all these numbers are estimates of how many people watch on traditional cable tv channels. I watched the Orlando v NY game on MLSLIVE, am I counted in these 'ratings'? I also mostly watch Toronto away games on MLSLIVE through the use of a vpn or other online options - I wouldn't be counted there either.

Also, my sense is the MLS demographic disproportionently people, I can guess who are like me, who get turned off by being asked to pay for a whole bunch of channels we don't want in order to have the 2 we want, and so say no I won't do that I'll just watch it online. I can't see the curling crowd (50s plus) doing that...
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    David Naylor and Steve Simmons actually touched on this a week or so ago. Ratings, sports talk, and what interests Toronto, doesn't interest the rest of the country.

Copying a post from another forum.
    "Basically the two said that if they based their station format on national TV numbers they would be talking NHL, CFL and Curling.
    They also went on to say the Toronto sports view is heavily scewed towards the United States and what is hot in Toronto (Raptors especially) is not even on the radar in the rest of the country."

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/tsn-drive-hour-3-1.224277
    Doesn't surprise me one bit. Toronto is definitely a lot different than the rest of the country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No idea what that number means.

In May 2007, TFC drew 500K for a game on CBC sandwiched between two NHL playoff games.

There also has to be a novelty factor for the early games with Giovinco.

Let's see what happens to the July/August numbers. Last year TFC was in playoff position and drawing 100K for weekend home games on TSN, and 30K or worse for western road games on Sportsnet 360 or TSN2. That is the apples to apples comparison.
    We drew high for the first couple of games last year as I recall, and then things tanked off quickly. The last match ratings were definitely influences by what you mention, as well as having Vancouver involved, which would draw numbers out West that would not turn a TFC game on.

The one thing I'll say - it was a pretty entertaining game, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it won over some new fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and Yes to your questions.
    So it's not as surprising you don't know who the Skips of the Gold Medal Rinks are. It just isn't something you would have grown up with in Brampton. I can honestly say 5 years in Brampton has taught me that in general it is unlike any of the 15 other cities/towns I've lived in Canada.

Seriously if you are near City Centre there is a Curling club right at Chinguacousy Park and another on Elliott Ave in the Downtown area it is fun to check out. It isn't for everyone, but it really has a surprising huge amount of strategy, it is a wonderful game of physics and geometry. As much as Bocce games are similar, the ice adds a dimension that changes it up and makes it a true team sport.

There is a reason why 1.5 Million were watching the Brier. (just to bring it back to topic rather )
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-11-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes back on topic

any tips on building a backyard curling rink? lol im fully intrigued.
    way more fun than axe throwing