Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 2620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoilett would be an interesting move, but he's on $2.6 million at QPR. He'd have to take a huge pay cut, even if we use TAM on him. He'll be taking a pay cut wherever he goes but he could definitely still earn more in Europe. And I would prefer we use TAM on a stud DM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Screw this loan business. They can put in a legit offer or walk away empty. No point of wearing down our players in the off season.
    Decision might be up to Gio, who may force the issue if he wants to keep active and get more national team call-ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    not hoofball necessarily, They just prefer bigger, athletic strikers.
    That's really not the case across the board anymore, and hasn't been for a while. Lots of smaller skilled forwards/strikers in England now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    That's really not the case across the board anymore, and hasn't been for a while. Lots of smaller skilled forwards/strikers in England now.
    apart from Aguero, please name some. It's the case almost entirely across the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Decision might be up to Gio, who may force the issue if he wants to keep active and get more national team call-ups.
    Well I'm not about to push for making the guy unhappy but really if MLS wants to be taken seriously the off season loan business must stop. No serious club rents out their players in the offseason - nor does a club with a strong asset accept a half assed loan deal.

We are wildly speculating here but if he wants to go back at the end of the season, i wouldn't stop him (as much as that would be devastating). What makes no sense is investing huge money in an asset then letting someone else degrade it for you while you get minimal benefit in return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apart from Aguero, please name some. It's the case almost entirely across the board.
    Haha Aguero doesn't even count considering how much upper body strength he has, he plays anything but small much like Gio to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well I'm not about to push for making the guy unhappy but really if MLS wants to be taken seriously the off season loan business must stop. No serious club rents out their players in the offseason - nor does a club with a strong asset accept a half assed loan deal.

We are wildly speculating here but if he wants to go back at the end of the season, i wouldn't stop him (as much as that would be devastating). What makes no sense is investing huge money in an asset then letting someone else degrade it for you while you get minimal benefit in return.
    I agree but I don't think he will go on loan anywhere, Giovinco has now been called up twice to the national team and that should be enough for him to realize Conte will consider you if you play well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Haha Aguero doesn't even count considering how much upper body strength he has, he plays anything but small much like Gio to a lesser extent.
    wasn't at all commenting on how he plays. Just his actual stature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The burden of proof is on you, but go take a look and you will find a large number of EPL strikers are under 6 feet. To start you off though, every one of United's forwards are under 6 feet. And in the cases where they are over 6 feet, in a lot of cases they are far from simple "athletic big men" of days gone by. It's a tired old cliche about the Premier League. "English football" at the top level doesn't ever really exist a concept anymore. It's predominantly teams run by foreign managers player squads largely made up of foreign players.

There are some tall ones sure, but same is the case other leagues (most of Juves forwards are over 6" for example)
    Last edited by brad; 10-01-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The burden of proof is on you, but go take a look and you will find a large number of EPL strikers are under 6 feet. To start you off though, every one of United's forwards are under 6 feet. And in the cases where they are over 6 feet, in a lot of cases they are far from simple "athletic big men" of days gone by. It's a tired old cliche about the Premier League. "English football" at the top level doesn't ever really exist a concept anymore. It's predominantly teams run by foreign managers player squads largely made up of foreign players.

There are some tall ones sure, but same is the case other leagues (most of Juves forwards are over 6" for example)
    Thats interesting info, i wouldnt expect an under 6ft avg in most leagues
    Does the premier league pretty much break apart from the rest of the english football structure/style? I know nothing of lower division english soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Thats interesting info, i wouldnt expect an under 6ft avg in most leagues
    Does the premier league pretty much break apart from the rest of the english football structure/style? I know nothing of lower division english soccer.
    I don't know, but I would suspect the lower tiers follow a more traditional style, especially the lower you go. Championship might be closer to the EPL though.

Tying it back to topic though - Gio's stature directly is not going to be a barrier for EPL teams as they aren't explicitly looking for tall althletic strikers.

Was part of his problem in Italy dealing with the physical nature of the game (I don't recall)? If so, that would be most likely what would scare off potential suitors in the EPL.

I do suspect there are teams that would be interested in him though. I doubt it would be the top ones though, and the ones that are likely wouldn't pay him the sort of wages he's on now - although his wages aren't really out of line with EPL players just under that elite bracket (classing guys like Aguero or Hazard in the elite here)
    Last edited by brad; 10-01-2015 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, but I would suspect the lower tiers follow a more traditional style, especially the lower you go. Championship might be closer to the EPL though.

Tying it back to topic though - Gio's stature directly is not going to be a barrier for EPL teams as they aren't explicitly looking for tall althletic strikers.

Was part of his problem in Italy dealing with the physical nature of the game (I don't recall)? If so, that would be most likely what would scare off potential suitors in the EPL.

I do suspect there are teams that would be interested in him though. I doubt it would be the top ones though, and the ones that are likely wouldn't pay him the sort of wages he's on now - although his wages aren't really out of line with EPL players just under that elite bracket (classing guys like Aguero or Hazard in the elite here)

mentioning hazard, i can see him playing a similar role on an elite team like that

but lets not give MLSE any ideas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mentioning hazard, i can see him playing a similar role on an elite team like that

If a team like that comes in for him, he'd be gone. He even said in a interview a couple of months ago that he's happy here, but if a team like Man City wanted him it would be tough to say no. MLSE wouldn't be able to keep a player like him against his will.

I don't think that's happening though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the bench, on a lower salary than what he's earning here. He's not that ​good, all things considered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walcott been playing up front for arsenal this season. Typically he's a winger by trade but been playing up front this season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How tall are?

Wayne rooney
    anthony martial
    Jamie Vardy
    Callum Wilson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    How tall are?

Wayne rooney
    anthony martial
    Jamie Vardy
    Callum Wilson
    Danny ings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the bench, on a lower salary than what he's earning here. He's not that ​good, all things considered.
    His salary is not out of line with what big teams in England would pay for a player like him - even off the bench. He's around 4.6 million GBP. The big names on the big teams are making around the 8 to 12 million GBP/year with outliers up to 20. The money in that league is stupid.

The thing is - I agree with you 100% - he's not that good from a world football perspective. The big clubs aren't coming for him - they can get better players for their money. This is a good thing for us. He sits in a sweet spot were he can continue to decimate teams for us with no real worry about him getting poached by a team that would turn his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Danny ings
    Mahrez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not just loan hoillet in and pay 400k of his salary or something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Mahrez
    Not a forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah so Messi would have trouble making an EPL team. Ok got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Yeah so Messi would have trouble making an EPL team. Ok got it.
    really, really missing the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really, really missing the point.

Height is not an issue in soccer. That's the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Height is not an issue in soccer.
    I never said it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Why not just loan hoillet in and pay 400k of his salary or something
    I think his contract expires in 2016. Nobody is going to sign him and loan him back out. Even if it was possible, consider we are joint top of the league in goals scored (I still can't believe i just typed that) and second worst for goals conceded (that's a bit more normal), I certainly don't think dropping a huge chunk of the cap on an attacking player is a smart move. Although you could make an argument about hedging our bets on a Gio injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Junior comes on an SWP esq deal, sure why not. Other than that, no thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Danny ings
    Does anybody remember the guy named Defoe?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Does anybody remember the guy named Defoe?
    I think they were trying to mention good players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I think they were trying to mention good players.

Appreciate the humour, but Defoe is or was a world class striker. No doubt there. But - had a hard time being a starter in the Premier league, as his talents and limitations, including size, were better off the bench. So does Giovinco leave us to be an impact sub at Watford? Unlikely, although he'd do the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Appreciate the humour, but Defoe is or was a world class striker. No doubt there. But - had a hard time being a starter in the Premier league, as his talents and limitations, including size, were better off the bench. So does Giovinco leave us to be an impact sub at Watford? Unlikely, although he'd do the job.
    That had a lot more to do with his talents and the fact spurs had better players in thier squad (Defoe has never been close to world class) rather than his size. Take Robbie Keane from the same team for example. He's 5ft 7.