Page 57 of 88 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Well we could have hung onto the ones we had and never had 4 DPs and then our team would now have (or had) Laba, Gilberto, and Defoe. And we'd be shit.

I see no problem in trading up in regards to DPs. Better ones come available then you take them and you deal with the extra player however you can. We lose nothing on this as I knew Gilberto would never be back and a team would have to be nuts, I mean crazy nuts, to pay anything worthwhile for his rights and then pay him DP money. Luckily Chicago and Yallop are just that level of nuts.

Now we go on with what we have and don't worry about the $50K or so in above board allocation we could have had for Gilberto. As it stands I say we still get some but it's the secret kind.
    To me this whole thing paints our club as a bunch of suckers. We pay way too much for a shit player we then funnel to other teams for nothing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What is this situation?

A dude nobody rates anymore gets into a punch up when out on loan, comes back into our laps, and we hand him to somebody else in our league, who use precious MAP and allocation to get him.

If I was Machiavelli, I'd call this a win.
    If I was Machiavelli, I'd call it a win in private, but cry in public about how hard done we were by it all.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    To me this whole thing paints our club as a bunch of suckers. We pay way too much for a shit player we then funnel to other teams for nothing.
    Or it paints us as ambitious and we're always looking to better ourselves instead of sitting on mediocre DPs. Gilberto isn't the worst DP in MLS. There are worse ones. Chicago themselves have 3 already. Orlando has two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah they won't be paying down Gilberto, he's on $1.2 million. Accam is their least expensive DP at 650k (ironically he's been the best of the 3) so they'll be buying him down with more or less all the allocation they got from the Drogba deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Chicago wins this deal. We move a piece on waviers because we have to Chicago gets Gilberto and payment from MTL for Drogba.

Can't believe this shit. We've burned ourselfs too many times getting next to nothing out of assets. Shows a lack of forward future thinking. That is what scares me the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see the back end of him though. Where's the Gilberto Flop thread at?
    The mods renamed it "goalberto" and wouldn't change it back. It's tyranny I tells ya.

In any case, good riddance. Bring on the appreciation thread, I'd like to talk about that time he tracked back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the local journos working their sources.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Or it paints us as ambitious and we're always looking to better ourselves instead of sitting on mediocre DPs. Gilberto isn't the worst DP in MLS. There are worse ones. Chicago themselves have 3 already. Orlando has two.
    Mediocre DPs we signed for big MLS money. Bet he won't even be a DP in Chicago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day, would you take Gilberto over any of our existing DPs?

If the answer is no, then this was a palpable transaction given the circumstances. Bez had zero leverage to try and acquire assets for Gilberto, and we don't know if there was any serious interest abroad. Therefore, the choices were to try and unload him without retaining salary or taking a lousy contract back, or to get rid of one of our existing DPs to fit him on the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you work that out?

They'll be buying down Accam to fit Gilberto in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Molinaro's twitter

John Molinaro : Re Gilberto: I'm told his loan was terminated so he was back on #TFC books. They weren't roster compliant & weren't going to use TAM on him.

More on Gilberto: With #TFC one over the DP limit and not willing to use TAM, they weren't roster compliant and had to put him on waivers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

If the answer is no, then this was a palpable transaction given the circumstances. Bez had zero leverage to try and acquire assets for Gilberto, and we don't know if there was any serious interest abroad. Therefore, the choices were to try and unload him without retaining salary or taking a lousy contract back, or to get rid of one of our existing DPs to fit him on the roster.
    Again, Bez put himself in this situation by first signing a crap player to fairly big money then getting more DPs than the league allows. Smarter management wouldn't have bought the swamp in Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will be a DP only Maloney makes a little more than Gilberto.

I am assuming TFC paid the transfer fee for Gilberto since we haven't heard otherwise. In the Urruti case didn't the league use their funds for him? You never know with MLS.

Regardless tho, Bez probably had the option to pull a LA Galaxy and use the core DP rule on Gilberto (makes same as Omar). But that is fucking up your budget and allocation for a player we really don't want (or need).

Does anyone know since LA used the Core DP tag and essentially used max allocation to bring down Omar's salary from 1.2 million to under the non-DP cap and used their 500K, does that mean next year LA will have to get rid of one of their DP's because all their 500K of allocation is used up? ie 100K every year or lump sum of 500k once?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto won't be there for less then DP wages - too proud. Which means allocation or TAM to bring down Accam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    How do you work that out?

They'll be buying down Accam to fit Gilberto in
    How much of Gilberto's salary is actually the allocation of the transfer fee?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post

Can you imagine trying to move that deal...

We overpaid - fine, shit happens right?
    he has a complex...
    he fell out massively with his loan team - to the point they dumped him.

Anyhow, hopefully the magical MLS fairness fairy winks our way with more defensive reinforcements.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdubs View Post

I am assuming TFC paid the transfer fee for Gilberto since we haven't heard otherwise. In the Urruti case didn't the league use their funds for him? You never know with MLS.

Regardless tho, Bez probably had the option to pull a LA Galaxy and use the core DP rule on Gilberto (makes same as Omar). But that is fucking up your budget and allocation for a player we really don't want (or need).

Does anyone know since LA used the Core DP tag and essentially used max allocation to bring down Omar's salary from 1.2 million to under the non-DP cap and used their 500K, does that mean next year LA will have to get rid of one of their DP's because all their 500K of allocation is used up? ie 100K every year or lump sum of 500k once?
    Right now either LA have to trade or sell Gonzalez in the offseason or trade a Lletget, Villereal etc etc for boatloads of TAM. They'll have a serious decision to make in the offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after this is all settled and done...we still really need a RB..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much of Gilberto's salary is actually the allocation of the transfer fee?
    No idea.

Chicago were trying to add Drogba, Accam was always the DP getting bought down to free up a DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gilberto won't be there for less then DP wages - too proud. Which means allocation or TAM to bring down Accam.
    Molinaro said we didn't want to use TAM on him so presumably Chicago could.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so you know (it might be applicable to this or not) allocation is dynamic. The baseline might be one way for the teams, but if you don't make the playoffs you get extra. If you do well in ccl, then you get extra. That's how TFC ran into trouble for a while - we were getting cash handed over for being terrible for MLS play and going deep into CCL. There are also the hidden bonuses - anytime the league screws up something for a team they throw them allocation under the table to make sure they don't get embarrassed publically.

In the end, there isn't any clear way to track what the hell is going on.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, Bez put himself in this situation by first signing a crap player to fairly big money then getting more DPs than the league allows. Smarter management wouldn't have bought the swamp in Florida.
    I would rather be in the situation of constantly upgrading and pushing the envelope of DP caliber then simply settling for what we have. Things change. In an ideal situation Gilberto would have been like a normal player and use his loan opportunity to try and show he is worth his contract and then in the off-season be transferred out. Gilberto fighting among players and management (or whatever he did to have his loan terminated) is hardly TFC's fault. Granted I know players do get sent back on loan for a verity of reasons but usually their is a large fee involved and in that case I assume we would get allocation. I don't like how this unfolded but Bez made the correct call by not using the core DP tag like the galaxy did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you have it out for Bez and I do question the acquisition. However, he was 4 months as an first-time GM and this was driven mostly by Nelsen because it was his team and contact. Smarter management would have been not thrown Nelsen and Bez together in the hope that they will get on the same page.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "then getting more DP's" was a good thing.

There was a solution - he punched somebody. Can't account for that.

We waive him, given no real choice now. Chicago spends Garber bucks to fit him in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Just so you know (it might be applicable to this or not) allocation is dynamic. The baseline might be one way for the teams, but if you don't make the playoffs you get extra. If you do well in ccl, then you get extra. That's how TFC ran into trouble for a while - we were getting cash handed over for being terrible for MLS play and going deep into CCL. There are also the hidden bonuses - anytime the league screws up something for a team they throw them allocation under the table to make sure they don't get embarrassed publically.

In the end, there isn't any clear way to track what the hell is going on.
    Yep. Who it really hurts is all the hardcore MLS fans who want to talk and discuss the league in a in-depth way. It actually hurts the growth of hardcore fan bases across the league. This also makes the discussion of a cap almost useless because you are right, each team is in a different situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather be in the situation of constantly upgrading and pushing the envelope of DP caliber then simply settling for what we have. Things change. In an ideal situation Gilberto would have been like a normal player and use his loan opportunity to try and show he is worth his contract and then in the off-season be transferred out. Gilberto fighting among players and management (or whatever he did to have his loan terminated) is hardly TFC's fault. Granted I know players do get sent back on loan for a verity of reasons but usually their is a large fee involved and in that case I assume we would get allocation. I don't like how this unfolded but Bez made the correct call by not using the core DP tag like the galaxy did.
    Fucking transfer him in the off season then. Why did we hold on? Any transfer fee would have been better than what we got.

I'm shocked most people here don't think we came out poorly on this. Especially given how often Gilberto was lauded on the boards last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Right now either LA have to trade or sell Gonzalez in the offseason or trade a Lletget, Villereal etc etc for boatloads of TAM. They'll have a serious decision to make in the offseason.
    If Zlatan shows up I wonder what rules or mechanisms Garber will put in place for LA to sign him with their "four" current DP's. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "then getting more DP's" was a good thing.

There was a solution - he punched somebody. Can't account for that.

We waive him, given no real choice now. Chicago spends Garber bucks to fit him in.
    We had the off season to transfer him. No one would pay even 5% of what we evaluated him at? That would have been better than "fuck it, you take him."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Zlatan shows up I wonder what rules or mechanisms Garber will put in place for LA to sign him with their "four" current DP's. lol.
    The "I'm fucking Zlatan and i'll go wherever the hell I want to" rule

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bigger news for LAG is Dos Santos - he's their version of Giovinco. Teams should be trying to find 3 guys like that.