Page 49 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 2620
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we might be waiting to make a trade to get a piece (allocation, cap space) that leads to getting a new CD.

Just has that feeling of waiting for things to fall into place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I wonder if we might be waiting to make a trade to get a piece (allocation, cap space) that leads to getting a new CD.

It could also just be dealing with the league RE the contract etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some reporting that Gilberto is leaving Vasco, don't see how we bring him back but would be interesting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Getting guys from Latin America has it's own problems. Of the ones that we got the only one that was truely a stud cost a lot of money (Laba). Urrutti?? Bust. Techera? Other than a few runs per game hasnt' done much more than what you'd get out of Findlay.

Cabrera, Cigri?? meh again, I think these guys' roles can be filled by NA talent. I'd rather spend my money on guys with experience. Cheyrou and Perquis have been immense for us this year. 500k for those two was money very well spent. Adding another CB with Ligue 1 experience can only help.
    You are kidding I assume.

Of course there have been busts, but look around the league, whole teams have been successfully built around non-DP internationals from South America. Dallas (a couple of different times), RSL, SJ, previous editions of Columbus, Colorado, even Seattle and Vancouver are hugely committed to it.

Show me one MLS team that has ever been really built around European non-DP internationals.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Have to disagree with this. Lots of clubs have gone down there and scooped talent. AW and PM clearly didn't know where to start. SA and Central America are still the primary feeders of intl players to MLS.

This club has simply never been able to successfully navigate that market, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place to look. Ignoring it would be criminal IMO.
    I think Central America is definitely a good place to look for MLS calibre player, South America is like a crapshoot, its been so heavily scouted the past decade its getting harder to find the right player.

I'm not saying the club shouldn't try as there is certainly evidence of success, but going with traditional EU players isn't necessarily a bad idea.

In the end it always comes down talent evaluation, TFC certainly haven't done a good enough a job in the past regardless where they have looked.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-22-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You are kidding I assume.

Of course there have been busts, but look around the league, whole teams have been successfully built around non-DP internationals from South America. Dallas (a couple of different times), RSL, SJ, previous editions of Columbus, Colorado, even Seattle and Vancouver are hugely committed to it.

Show me one MLS team that has ever been really built around European non-DP internationals.
    The thing is we have never made the playoffs or ever been a contender for anything other than the wooden spoon. I think it's safe to say Vanney & Bez's jobs are pinned on whether we achieve something this year. Also important for us suckers who've been getting beat down for 8 years for loving this team. In our case I understand the point of an experienced Euro defender. Take no chances (or a more calculated one anyway). Getting young, cheap SA defenders, who you hope can contribute right out of the gate during this last half season is risky and if one became a penalty magnet in adjusting to MLS and we missed the playoffs then the scorn on here would be unrivalled. Getting these players yes, for sure. In the offseason and to build with. For this late season push you try to get someone to help now who will have a low learning curve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Some reporting that Gilberto is leaving Vasco, don't see how we bring him back but would be interesting.
    Didnt he have some fights with other players on the training ground and stuff? Maybe we are trading him within the league?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we at least agree that our offence doesn't really need Gilberto?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Didnt he have some fights with other players on the training ground and stuff? Maybe we are trading him within the league?
    ^ regarding Gilberto

Maybe moving Gilberto helps us sign what we need?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes we don't need Gilberto, but that doesn't make it any less dissapointing that he didn't work out here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Narrative? It's fact.

If you really think Perquis and Cheyrou are only being paid 360 and 250k...
    A fact? Is there anyone out there with inside knowledge about TFC contracts that has said anything to the effect that Perquis and Cheyrou are being paid more than the players' union is reporting? Or is it just an assumption that people are making based on the belief that we couldn't have signed them for that little? They certainly wouldn't be the first quality European players on the wrong side of 30 to come to MLS for that kind of pay grade.
    And I'll say it again, because for some reason it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Players aren't paid with allocation money. They're paid with real money. Allocation money affects their cap hit, not how much they actually get paid, and the players' union releases their salary numbers, not the cap hit. So why on earth would allocation money effect the salary numbers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was on twitter from this guy on Gilberto yesterday https://twitter.com/LuizPenidoGlobo/...08963821662208

Translates into : Gilberto, vasco striker, is leaving the Club. @mvasconglobo information that is leaking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Agreed, we need to forget about Gilberto. It was a worthwhile experiment, but he's simply not what the team needs right now.

We need defenders. A full back, a centre back and possibly a depth midfielder to cover for international call ups.
    I'm not so sure we NEED him but I'd love to see him and Giovinco together. Maybe not worth the money and risk but intriguing nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by markie8002000 View Post
    This was on twitter from this guy on Gilberto yesterday https://twitter.com/LuizPenidoGlobo/...08963821662208

Translates into : Gilberto, vasco striker, is leaving the Club. @mvasconglobo information that is leaking
    My guess is we're trading Gilberto in order to make the CB trade/signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    A fact? Is there anyone out there with inside knowledge about TFC contracts that has said anything to the effect that Perquis and Cheyrou are being paid more than the players' union is reporting? Or is it just an assumption that people are making based on the belief that we couldn't have signed them for that little? They certainly wouldn't be the first quality European players on the wrong side of 30 to come to MLS for that kind of pay grade.
    And I'll say it again, because for some reason it doesn't seem to be sinking in. Players aren't paid with allocation money. They're paid with real money. Allocation money affects their cap hit, not how much they actually get paid, and the players' union releases their salary numbers, not the cap hit. So why on earth would allocation money effect the salary numbers?
    Could it maybe be like a Iker Casillas situation. His contract with Madrid had a couple years and lots of money left. Porto didnt want to pay him as much as his current contract, so Madrid is paying the difference. Maybe Perquis and Cheyrou are in similar situations, old club paying difference? Perquis I remember was 'released' by Betis, I can see them paying some of it, don't remember if Cheyrou was already expired deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Gilberto is in fact returning, he will have to be traded or loaned to another club. We don't have enough allocation to pay down his salary and we are at the DP limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Could it maybe be like a Iker Casillas situation. His contract with Madrid had a couple years and lots of money left. Porto didnt want to pay him as much as his current contract, so Madrid is paying the difference. Maybe Perquis and Cheyrou are in similar situations, old club paying difference? Perquis I remember was 'released' by Betis, I can see them paying some of it, don't remember if Cheyrou was already expired deal
    Ya I'm not sure about cheyrou I just know Bielsa wasn't a fan and he left in November I think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL you don't get it.

For one, Larson, Davidson and Molinaro all reported they were being paid down.

Read my response on the last page about MLSPU salary numbers.
    Buying players down with massive amounts of allocation money limits your ability to make other moves and pad out your roster. You end up with guys like Crevalle playing out of position and being destroyed by a fanbase.
    if you really think Perquis and Cheyrou are on what the MLSPU report then your delusional.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You end up with guys like Crevalle playing out of position and being destroyed by a fanbase.
    He isn't good in any position so he isn't a good example but point taken anyhow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He isn't good in any position so he isn't a good example but point taken anyhow.
    He ain't a bad back up option for RM or the right side of a diamond. But given MLS salary structure, you get what you get.

Houston fans were upset to lose him remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    No but he's an average mls central midfielder arguably good for his salary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL you don't get it.

Buying players down with massive amounts of allocation money limits your ability to make other moves and pad out your roster. You end up with guys like Crevalle playing out of position and being destroyed by a fanbase.
    if you really think Perquis and Cheyrou are on what the MLSPU report then your delusional.
    the tweets you posted tend to confirm the position that these are real numbers, not the other way around. I agree with you that the money for Cheyrou seems low but it's not nearly as clear cut as you suggest. Perquis could be on 350,000 AND be being paid down for cap purposes. What we have seen so far is inconclusive at best.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Gilberto can play defense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    the tweets you posted tend to confirm the position that these are real numbers, not the other way around. .
    Em no they don't. The owner of an MLS team explicitly said the MLSPU numbers weren't accurate and didn't include allocation.
    Perquis was on 700k euros at Betis, you really think he tool a half a mil salary cut to come here? (At current exchange rates)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL you don't get it.

If salaries being bought down by allocation is reflected by the PU numbers, then we should be close to compliance when you add up those numbers. But the fact is, if you add up all the base salaries, we're over the budget max by over 250k. And that doesn't even consider the fact that up until a day or two before they released those numbers, we had Caldwell on the roster taking up another 325-364K. That means we were over the max budget by at least 600k, possibly up to 900k over budget. Only way you can do that is if you're paying salaries down with allocation money, which means that that allocation money clearly isn't being reflected by the MLSPU numbers. If the PU numbers were fudged by allocation money, than we would somehow be over budget AFTER allocation money.

Or consider the 2013 salaries, where DeRo's salary is listed at over 600k, and he wasn't a DP at the time. That means his salary would have been paid down to the league max (which was around 350k at the time) with allocation. Yet his salary isn't listed as 350k, it's listed at almost double the league max. Yet another example of MLSPU salaries not reflecting allocation money.

And to your point about Larson, Davidson, and Molinaro reporting that Perquis and Cheyrou are being paid down: Yes, I'm sure they are being paid down. But that doesn't mean their being paid down to the amount listed by the PU. They're being paid down FROM the amount listed by the PU so that the roster is budget compliant.

And as for you thinking I'm delusional for believing that Perquis is being paid 323-372k, consider that he's a 31 year old defender that was no longer wanted by his club and were happy to dump him. Also consider that Caldwell was in a similar situation when he came over, was one year older than Perquis is now, and was on a similar salary. As for Cheyrou, he's a 34 year old who was released outright in the fall, and went without a club for three months in the middle of the season before we picked him up. These kinds of players generally aren't in a position to get a big pay cheque, and rarely for more than one year.
    Last edited by Ajax TFC; 07-22-2015 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone watch Panama vs. Mexico? Torres, the Panama CB/captain was amazing both in ability and leadership. He should've been the MOM, too bad that award goes to Mark Geiger for Mexico.

Would be excited if TFC could sign him up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If salaries being bought down by allocation is reflected by the PU numbers, then we should be close to compliance when you add up those numbers. But the fact is, if you add up all the base salaries, we're over the budget max by over 250k. And that doesn't even consider the fact that up until a day or two before they released those numbers, we had Caldwell on the roster taking up another 325-364K. That means we were over the max budget by at least 600k, possibly up to 900k over budget. Only way you can do that is if you're paying salaries down with allocation money, which means that that allocation money clearly isn't being reflected by the MLSPU numbers. If the PU numbers were fudged by allocation money, than we would somehow be over budget AFTER allocation money.

Or consider the 2013 salaries, where DeRo's salary is listed at over 600k, and he wasn't a DP at the time. That means his salary would have been paid down to the league max (which was around 350k at the time) with allocation. Yet his salary isn't listed as 350k, it's listed at almost double the league max. Yet another example of MLSPU salaries not reflecting allocation money.

And to your point about Larson, Davidson, and Molinaro reporting that Perquis and Cheyrou are being paid down: Yes, I'm sure they are being paid down. But that doesn't mean their being paid down to the amount listed by the PU. They're being paid down FROM the amount listed by the PU so that the roster is budget compliant.

And as for you thinking I'm delusional for believing that Perquis is being paid 323-372k, consider that he's a 31 year old defender that was no longer wanted by his club and were happy to dump him. Also consider that Caldwell was in a similar situation when he came over, was one year older than Perquis is now, and was on a similar salary. As for Cheyrou, he's a 34 year old who was released outright in the fall, and went without a club for three months in the middle of the season before we picked him up. These kinds of players generally aren't in a position to get a big pay cheque, and rarely for more than one year.
    Hey, remember how Darren O'Dea was reported by MLSPU numbers in the 300k range but was actually on double that?

Hey, see how Piatti and Espinolda are listed as DPs but showing as earning less than the DP threshold in the MLSPU release?

You seem to be ignoring that Perquis was on 700k EUROS a year at Betis with 18months left on his deal and somehow gave that money owed to him up to come to Toronto for less money (reported)

As for this...
    They're being paid down FROM the amount listed by the PU so that the roster is budget compliant.
    Hillarious.

Here's owner of the Timbers and former USSF board member Meriit Paulson
    @maofootball union #'s don't show portion ofsalary paid thru allocation, or cost to us, former team etc. a # of guys onmore than shown
    Fri May 25 20:17:34 +0000 2012 -merrittpaulson
    Source:
    http://www.tweetbunker.com/?action=search&username=%40merrittpaulson
    The guy that lost his USSF board seat for giving too much info away on Twitter. Like how MLS paid for Urruiti, not MLSE.
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 07-22-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, remember how Darren O'Dea was reported by MLSPU numbers in the 300k range but was actually on double that?
    O'Dea's reported guaranteed compensation was 456250 when he was here. That was over the league max at the time, so thanks for giving yet another example of the reported salary not reflecting allocation money being used on the player

Hey, see how Piatti and Espinolda are listed as DPs but showing as earning less than the DP threshold in the MLSPU release?
    According to the explanation given for Espindola's salary, he's making his money off of his cut of the transfer fee that was paid for him when MLS acquired him. As for Piatti, he also is a DP because of transfer fees, which aren't reflected by the reported salaries.

You seem to be ignoring that Perquis was on 700k EUROS a year at Betis with 18months left on his deal and somehow gave that money owed to him up to come to Toronto for less money (reported)
    I'm not ignoring it. It's irrelevant. We don't know the details of his release. It could easily be that Betis is still paying him a good portion of what he was owed. He hardly played for them in three years, so it's not unimaginable for them to buy him out to save a bit of money on a player that was useless to them

As for this...

Hillarious.
    Only thing hillarious is your inability to respond to any of the points that I made. How would you explain the fact that our roster was 500k-900k over budget before Caldwell was released, and is at least 250K over budget currently if the numbers shown by the MLSPU are after allocation buy downs?

Here's owner of the Timbers and former USSF board member Meriit Paulson

The guy that lost his USSF board seat for giving too much info away on Twitter. Like how MLS paid for Urruiti, not MLSE.
    This guy has made no secret that he hates the fact that the MLSPU releases the player's salaries. I would take what he says about the numbers with a grain of salt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of all the professional leagues in North America MLS is the only one with a union that is willingly releasing salary info, I find that interesting an amusing considering how much of a mystery MLS financial regulations are.

Of course it could just be the union doing it to partly demonstrate how little they make in comparison to other leagues, just the thought of it makes it a little strange seeing how little information comes from MLS front office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Anyone watch Panama vs. Mexico? Torres, the Panama CB/captain was amazing both in ability and leadership. He should've been the MOM, too bad that award goes to Mark Geiger for Mexico.

Would be excited if TFC could sign him up.
    Club contract expired 30-06-2015
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/roman-t.../spieler/74182