Page 44 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 2620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    See answer above. I believe it's not a salary buydown, it's a CAP buydown.
    Can you explain again? I'm not sure I understand. Use Omar's numbers as an example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black at the panam game was an absolute beast. Saved the point single handedly. On the down side, we still have dump and chase in our system. Its so hard to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Can you explain again? I'm not sure I understand. Use Omar's numbers as an example.
    Basically you can use up to $500K over five season to buy down the CAP hit of a DP, the small part of the contract. THe cost of the rest doesn't matter. If that leaves you with the max left, i.e. about 400K, you can sign another DP.

So if we had no cap space (which I think is the case) and we wanted to bring in another DP, we would have to find 400K out of our 500K allocation, or a combination of that money and allocation adding up to 400K. For those with no salary wiggle room, it's a tough deal because it's really only good for one year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See answer above. I believe it's not a salary buydown, it's a CAP buydown.
    I think the problem is that the maximum amount that a player can count against the cap is $436 250. Anyone who gets paid more than that has to be either a DP, or have their salary paid down to that amount by allocation. That means to make Omar Gonzalez not count as a DP anymore, they need at least $763750 of allocation money. It's reasonable to believe that they had at least 250k already, so an extra 500k would be enough to bring him down to the league maximum for non-DPs. But if they wanted to stretch that out over say two years, they would need to have had 500k in allocation money already, and another 500k next year. Though with the way allocation works, there's no way of knowing how much each team has. It's easily possible that they do have that much...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, in the release for Dos Santos and Melano it stated that the Galaxy and Timbers used TAM to buy down Omar and Adi's "budget charge" i.e cap hit and not their salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I think the problem is that the maximum amount that a player can count against the cap is $436 250. Anyone who gets paid more than that has to be either a DP, or have their salary paid down to that amount by allocation. That means to make Omar Gonzalez not count as a DP anymore, they need at least $763750 of allocation money. It's reasonable to believe that they had at least 250k already, so an extra 500k would be enough to bring him down to the league maximum for non-DPs. But if they wanted to stretch that out over say two years, they would need to have had 500k in allocation money already, and another 500k next year. Though with the way allocation works, there's no way of knowing how much each team has. It's easily possible that they do have that much...

Gonzalez has a salary of 1.2m (or whatever) which makes him a DP.
    DP Budget Charge is 426k and Gonzalez is on the LA's budget at 426k (Ignore his actual salary)
    With Dos Santos coming on to LAs budget at 426k, LA need to make that room.
    Lets say LA have 100k left in their budget meaning they need to come up with 326k in budget room for Dos Santos.
    So they use 326k of TAM to buy Gonzalezs budget charge to 100k and they can fit Dos Santos.

Next year they'll presumably have to sell/trade Gonzalez or trade for more TAM.

Thats the way it seems to me anyways.

I'm using budget instead of "cap" as there is no cap it's called a salary budget.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They only have to buy down the cap, is my understanding. So if they have 200k of wiggle room under the cap, they could use another 200K to sign another DP and keep him at the 400K max cap hit (or thereabouts).

So basically it's a salary buydown to add a DP, not really getting rid of a DP.
    Yes, but Gonzalez is on $1.2 million. They need 775K per year of allocation to drop it down, or 1.1625 million to get to the end of the 2016 season,

Now, LAG supporters are saying LAG hasn't spent a lot of allocation of late. Still, what we are talking is about 662.5K in allocation funds beyond the next 5 years worth of TAM.

This year, they are using 385K of TAM ($1.2 / 2 - 215K). Means they only have 115K of that resource to use for the remaining 4 seasons.

Scuttlebutt is LAG is relying upon a long CCL and winning MLS cup to do even this. But, 2017, Gerrard is probably gone, and possibly Gonzalez. That leaves them with a DP slot but lacking this tool.

What we are seeing is LAG (and to a certain extent DCU) going for it in the next 2 years and then hoping to somehow rebuild in 2017.

BTW, to the idea that LAG always gets what they want, this is the team that traded to go up the allocation order to grab Klejstan, only for NYRB to trade up higher. LAG didn't win that one.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-17-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Gonzalez has a salary of 1.2m (or whatever) which makes him a DP.
    DP Budget Charge is 426k and Gonzalez is on the LA's budget at 426k (Ignore his actual salary)
    With Dos Santos coming on to LAs budget at 426k, LA need to make that room.
    Lets say LA have 100k left in their budget meaning they need to come up with 326k in budget room for Dos Santos.
    So they use 326k of TAM to buy Gonzalezs budget charge to 100k and they can fit Dos Santos.

Next year they'll presumably have to sell/trade Gonzalez or trade for more TAM.

Thats the way it seems to me anyways.

I'm using budget instead of "cap" as there is no cap it's called a salary budget.
    The way I understand it, teams can still only have 3 DPs. The point of targeted allocation is to be able to sign players that would normally have to use a DP spot (players with a salary around 600k-1m), but instead of using a DP spot (where the budget charge is 436k, and the team pays the rest), you use targeted allocation to reduce the budget charge to the maximum 436k and you use that DP spot on someone more expensive. So in the case of LA, their three DPs are Gerrard, Keane, and GDS. Gonzalez can no longer be a DP, so his budget charge would have to be his full salary. But since the maximum amount a player can count against the budget is 436k, they have to pay down the other 763k of his salary with allocation money so that he doesn't exceed the maximum amount.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they have to use this allocation to drop the salary to the value of a DP's cap hit. My understanding is they are also allowed to use other allocation amounts to do this, but that in the case of the TAM players, this will mean a players reported salary remains (as against the salaries we see where allocation has been used and we don't know exactly what a person is making).

Mud

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Targeted allocation money had me all like

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahah, bingo!!

I aint going down this rabbit hole tonight, off to the pub!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other words, this targeted allocation does absolutely nothing for us since our 3 DPs are locked up long term earning between 4.75 and 7 million dollars per season.

Ridiculous. If the idea was to help all clubs procure more talent, MLS should have simply granted 500K in allocation over 5 years without any strings attached.

This clearly benefits L.A. at a very opportune time. How convenient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    In other words, this targeted allocation does absolutely nothing for us since our 3 DPs are locked up long term earning between 4.75 and 7 million dollars per season.

Ridiculous. If the idea was to help all clubs procure more talent, MLS should have simply granted 500K in allocation over 5 years without any strings attached.

We can add a Perquis or Cheyrou type with it. It maybe we just cant do it till the offseason.

It's also benefited Portland and may allow Chicago to add Drogba, get off the LA craic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    It could benefit us if we wanted to sign someone in the 500k salary range. Or if we wanted to bring in a Laba type signing but not make him a DP.
    I guess the idea is that you have to use it to bring in more expensive players

Just a little suspicious that L.A. realizes that it was a mistake to make Gonzalez a DP, and then suddenly there's a way to make his 1.2m contract not use a DP spot anymore. Compare that to when we had to get rid of Laba because we couldn't make his 200k + transfer fee not take up DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    We can add a Perquis or Cheyrou type with it. It maybe we just cant do it till the offseason.

It's also benefited Portland and may allow Chicago to add Drogba, get off the LA craic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    It could benefit us if we wanted to sign someone in the 500k salary range. Or if we wanted to bring in a Laba type signing but not make him a DP.

I guess the idea is that you have to use it to bring in more expensive players

Just a little suspicious that L.A. realizes that it was a mistake to make Gonzalez a DP, and then suddenly there's a way to make his 1.2m contract not use a DP spot anymore. Compare that to when we had to get rid of Laba because we couldn't make his 200k + transfer fee not take up DP spot.
    Yes, that is true. It would allow us to sign one player for around 500K on a multi year deal and pay down his salary to 400K so that it wouldn't count as a DP salary. The problem is, that type of move would eat up all of our remaining cap space (for the time being). We need to fill a few holes. I don't think it would be wise to blow the budget on a CB for example, even though we are in desperate need of help in that area.

If the allocation was flexible, we could have used it to help acquire a couple of players, but such is life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're here.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Jul...0By%20Club.pdf

is it me or did a substantial amount of our team get raises?

I can never remember if I'm supposed to be looking at this and taking allocation into account or not. Either we spent a ton of it on Cheyrou and Perquis, or those two contracts are significantly less expensive then we thought.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 07-18-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    They're here.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Jul...0By%20Club.pdf

is it me or did a substantial amount of our team get raises?

I can never remember if I'm supposed to be looking at this and taking allocation into account or not. Either we spent a ton of it on Cheyrou and Perquis, or those two contracts are significantly less expensive then we thought.
    Piatti at 400 k makes no sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Piatti at 400 k makes no sense.
    Isn't that under a DP charge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Isn't that under a DP charge
    Transfer fee is included in cap calculations somehow, which is why Matias Laba is a DP, despite a $325,000 salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would this allow us to bring back Gilberto?

And if so, would we want to?

We clearly need another viable striker ... Moore is somewhat decent, but beyond him there's nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

We clearly need another viable striker ... Moore is somewhat decent, but beyond him there's nothing.
    We could but for only one year and they'd have to add other allocation to get it done. Seeing as we have Altidore and Gio starting and back ups who have all scored more goals than Gilberto in league play this year then I would say no. He would be a waste of resources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*pokes head into thread...sees no conversation related to any potential transfer targets or trades, quietly leaves and goes back to enjoying the hot summer weather*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

Think hes he's as good as gone, probably gonna see some defense bought with this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trade rumors have gone dead for the past 2-3 weeks. I honestly believe nobody is coming. Hope im wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent much of the off season complaining about our lack of additions and then they brought in Altidore (who I'm still not sure about), Giovinco, Perquis and Cheyrou

Trust in Bez, he knows what he's doing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to get some speculation going...

In a thread on reddit asking what moves you'd make if you were GM of your team, mlssoccer.com columnist Matthew Doyle responds to a comment saying TFC should sign a CB and fullback with "you're about to have a good month".

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comment...m_what/ct7so9m

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Just to get some speculation going...

In a thread on reddit asking what moves you'd make if you were GM of your team, mlssoccer.com columnist Matthew Doyle responds to a comment saying TFC should sign a CB and fullback with "you're about to have a good month".

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comment...m_what/ct7so9m
    wouldnt surprise me if we did sign some decent defence

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well just doing a bit of Mariner scouting on transfermarkt and there's a lot of defenders out there within the probable price range.

I still think its either Gasparetto or Santacroce. Unattached and share agents with Seba. Younger, and Bez has suggested younger is the preference. Somebody you can build a partnership with Perquis with and bring the youngsters along as 3rd and 4th CB's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well just doing a bit of Mariner scouting on transfermarkt and there's a lot of defenders out there within the probable price range.

I still think its either Gasparetto or Santacroce. Unattached and share agents with Seba. Younger, and Bez has suggested younger is the preference. Somebody you can build a partnership with Perquis with and bring the youngsters along as 3rd and 4th CB's.
    Who is Gasparetto, have we even been linked to him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Daniele Gasparetto is an Italian footballer who plays for Serie B club Cittadella. Wikipedia
    2. Born: April 6, 1988 (age 27), Montebelluna, Italy
    3. Height: 6' 5" (1.95 m)
    4. Position: Defender