Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 2620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    I have faith that Bez and Vanney will sign the right player to help our defence.

Personally, I think we are one or maybe two defenders away from being a cup contender. Knock on wood, but something about this group feels special.
    I have zero faith in those incompetent idiots. I've disliked every move they've made except for Justin Morrow and Cheyrou. I even disliked the Giovinco move (which, I will gladly admit being wrong about). Bradley, Morrow, Cheyrou and Giovinco aside, this team is below average in every position (our Gk's might be average MLS keepers). Altidore isn't DP worthy, our defence is horrid and our midfield lacks in creativity, pace and any ability to score a goal (good teams in MLS need offence from every part of the field, look at the galaxy, sounders and DC for examples).

Vanney and Bez are the worst part of this team, it's folly to trust in anything they do IMO.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MagicPig View Post
    I have zero faith in those incompetent idiots. I've disliked every move they've made except for Justin Morrow and Cheyrou. I even disliked the Giovinco move (which, I will gladly admit being wrong about). Bradley, Morrow, Cheyrou and Giovinco aside, this team is below average in every position ...
    Bunk.

Assuming you watch MLS every week, I'm not sure where you get that bit. Apart from Creavalle at RB, and the fact we are playing 2 youngsters as the #2 CD, pretty much every position is MLS quality. And don't get me started on a DCU team that until it got Sabario this week had one basic game plan offensively - put a cross in and hope for a defensive mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have zero faith in those incompetent idiots. I've disliked every move they've made except for Justin Morrow and Cheyrou. I even disliked the Giovinco move (which, I will gladly admit being wrong about). Bradley, Morrow, Cheyrou and Giovinco aside, this team is below average in every position (our Gk's might be average MLS keepers). Altidore isn't DP worthy, our defence is horrid and our midfield lacks in creativity, pace and any ability to score a goal (good teams in MLS need offence from every part of the field, look at the galaxy, sounders and DC for examples).

Vanney and Bez are the worst part of this team, it's folly to trust in anything they do IMO.
    Ok then... *shakes head*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I see above in the shortened link is "2015... anus argentina"

Not a good omen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the Sounders have been struggling mightily without Dempsey and Martins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good thing we're not in last place in the standings.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I even disliked the Giovinco move (which, I will gladly admit being wrong about).
    Good thing you're not running the team. Giovinco was one of the best moves in MLS in the past year.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Alti isn't DP material, but how could of you possibly not like Giovinco? I knew he would kill this league based on watching him in Italy.

I think Bez biggest mistakes is guys like caldwell, jackson, findley, moore, warner....these guys make tons of $$$ and without them we would of had lots of cash to play with. We do need more creativity in the mid, but i doubt we do anything this season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    I agree Alti isn't DP material, but how could of you possibly not like Giovinco? I knew he would kill this league based on watching him in Italy.

I think Bez biggest mistakes is guys like caldwell, jackson, findley, moore, warner....these guys make tons of $$$ and without them we would of had lots of cash to play with. We do need more creativity in the mid, but i doubt we do anything this season
    More creativity in the mid? We are leading the East in goals per game. We need defenders - a CB specifically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio already has already scored 20% of Henry's total goals in MLS, in half a season. Pretty crazy how good he has been. Has there ever been a player in MLS that has scored 20 goals and 20 assists?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good thing you're not running the team. Giovinco was one of the best moves in MLS in the past year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, when we play tighter defences you will see our issues with passing in close spaces. But like i said, that wont be addressed this season. Defence is much more important i agree 10000%

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    More creativity in the mid? We are leading the East in goals per game. We need defenders - a CB specifically.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Milanista View Post
    Gio already has already scored 20% of Henry's total goals in MLS, in half a season. Pretty crazy how good he has been. Has there ever been a player in MLS that has scored 20 goals and 20 assists?
    I don't get the over-focus on the EPL. Granted it's the most popular league in the world, but great players are in supply in most of the top 4-5 leagues. Seba has been unbelievable in MLS, and he's had much a greater impact here than Henry did, good as Henry was.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPL is the biggest league, but doesn't mean they have the best players or style. In italy its all about technical approach to the game over speed and power. Look at Pirlo, slow as shi* but always had these lil moves to create space and he was easily one of the best players to play for italia and milano

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't get the over-focus on the EPL. Granted it's the most popular league in the world, but great players are in supply in most of the top 4-5 leagues. Seba has been unbelievable in MLS, and he's had much a greater impact here than Henry did, good as Henry was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well they had Gerrard back in January but realistically, they are not somebody we are competing with this season.

They will have to give up on one of their 4 DP types in 2016 - my money is on Gerrard leaving.
    Ddin't they use the core player rule on Omar?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JavierMartini View Post
    Ddin't they use the core player rule on Omar?
    Yes, but that amount is limited to 500K. Reckoning is LAG's allotment is exhausted after next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing I noticed about Gio when I looked at his playing history was the fact that when he got playing time when he played for other teams in Serie A besides Juventus he scored a good amount of goals. Therefore, this gave me some hope that this guy was the real deal that when given playing time and confidence he produced. He never worked out at Juventus I think because Juventus could not get over the fact he was so small and therefore, he was stigmatized and was not given a fair chance there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    The one thing I noticed about Gio when I looked at his playing history was the fact that when he got playing time when he played for other teams in Serie A besides Juventus he scored a good amount of goals. Therefore, this gave me some hope that this guy was the real deal that when given playing time and confidence he produced. He never worked out at Juventus I think because Juventus could not get over the fact he was so small and therefore, he was stigmatized and was not given a fair chance there.
    I read a comment on fb from someone who said in Series A, every team plays hard as hell against Juventus. Because Seba wasn't a starter, when he did play, he would get played hard and not get any calls go his way. While on loan at Parma, his numbers dramatically improved - 22 goals in 66 aps. Still Series A, just not the focus of everyone's attention any more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but that amount is limited to 500K. Reckoning is LAG's allotment is exhausted after next season.
    The rule was pretty much made up so LA could keep their DPs and sign GDS. There will be a way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    The rule was pretty much made up so LA could keep their DPs and sign GDS. There will be a way
    No it wasn't. It was being talked about for 6+months. Dos Santos started to get linked to LA 2-3 weeks ago.

I suppose it was just a coincidence that the Timbers took advantage of it today as well...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading between the lines of the reaction of TFC brass to this new rule, I think a second approach to this was being contemplated. TFC guessed wrong, and then they implemented this early, giving an advantage to other teams who were not at the cap but had a youngish DP on the books.

I suspect we will use this next season somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I must be missing something. Doesn't the new core player rule and Caldwell retiring put us in a position to bring on a pretty high profile cb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    No it wasn't. It was being talked about for 6+months. Dos Santos started to get linked to LA 2-3 weeks ago.

I suppose it was just a coincidence that the Timbers took advantage of it today as well...
    Like most new rules, it was already being planned ahead of time, and also like most new rules, it was implemented when the Galaxy could make use of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that MLS has subsidized transfer fees (Defoe, Urruti) and fudged the rules (Bradley) for us. This fan base is in no position to moan about perceived advantages the Galaxy may or may not have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Given that MLS has subsidized transfer fees (Defoe, Urruti) and fudged the rules (Bradley) for us. This fan base is in no position to moan about perceived advantages the Galaxy may or may not have.
    TFC paid the transfer fees for Defoe and Urruti (and Bradley) as far as I'm aware, so I'd be curious to see sources pointing to the contrary. Regardless, to me there's a difference between subsidizing transfer fees (which MLSE could afford anyways, and did afford as far as I know) and creating new rules. I have no idea what rules you're referring to for Bradley. Especially given that when we signed Bradley we were in an identical situation to the Galaxy (trying to sign a big-name DP with huge marketability while keeping onto our lower-priced, lower-status DP) but the league turned a blind eye then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urruti was a special discovery signing. Transfer fee paid by the league.

In a series of tweets, all subsequently deleted, Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson shed further light on what a "special discovery signing" entails. His primary illustration was Urruti who he confirmed continues to not count as a designated player due to the fact that the league was actually the ones who purchased the player from Newells Old Boys. That means that Toronto and now Portland were essentially being loaned the players by the league with the club having the option to match what the league paid for the player should they wish to acquire the players rights. A club would have to do this if for example they wanted to sell the player at some point down the road and get a share of the profits rather than the entire sum going to MLS.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2014/2/14/5410604/special-discovery-signings-mls-maxi-urruti-matias-laba-merritt-paulson-santiago-gonzalez

I got one part wrong, it was his wages not transfer fee.
    One is a subsidy from Major League Soccer for Defoe’s salary in anticipation of a rise in shared revenues around the league because of ticket sales.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2014/01/24/toronto_fcs_transformation_was_colourful_journey_l ed_by_tim_leiweke_kelly.html

As for Bradley, it was the "player of a certain threshold" that MLS brought in with regards to the allocation order to enable Dempsey and Bradley to pick their destinations and not be subject to the allocation order for returning players.

Also in that Waking the Red article linked is this
    TFC have also been given a fair bit of help from the league to complete other moves this offseason. MLSE may have covered the majority of the money spent on
    Jermain Defoeand Michael Bradley but the league did help pay for part of the American midfielder's transfer fee

The league helping with Bradleys transfer fee would fall in line with how they also helped Seattle pay for Dempsey

A source connected to Seattle with detailed knowledge of the deal said Seattle's owners are paying Dempsey's $24 million in salary (at least the lion's share above the normal $368,750 covered by the league), but the league is covering the $9 million transfer fee
    http://www.si.com/soccer/2013/08/05/clint-dempsey-seattle-sounders-mls
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 07-17-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...-involved-trad

So MLS was lying out their ass again in the aftermath of us trading Urruti? Can't say I'm surprised.

I totally forgot about the whole allocation order thing with Bradley because it's the dumbest rule of all time. But fair enough.

Still annoying we couldn't use this to keep Laba, which would have been much more viable long-term than L.A. trying to pay down Gonzalez every year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They only have to buy down the cap, is my understanding. So if they have 200k of wiggle room under the cap, they could use another 200K to sign another DP and keep him at the 400K max cap hit (or thereabouts).

So basically it's a salary buydown to add a DP, not really getting rid of a DP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I don't understand about the LAG deal is this - they 500k allocation is over a 5 year period. So even if LA choose to pay it all down at once to bring down Omar's contract, that only brings him down to 700-900K a year. Thats an unrealistic cap hit. Further, what about next year? If they use the entire 500k now, starting next July, they'll have to pay his full wage.

only makes sense if they trade or sell him in the offseason or next summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What I don't understand about the LAG deal is this - they 500k allocation is over a 5 year period. So even if LA choose to pay it all down at once to bring down Omar's contract, that only brings him down to 700-900K a year. Thats an unrealistic cap hit. Further, what about next year? If they use the entire 500k now, starting next July, they'll have to pay his full wage.

only makes sense if they trade or sell him in the offseason or next summer.
    See answer above. I believe it's not a salary buydown, it's a CAP buydown.