Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    I have no idea where Molinaro got the 28 player roster limit from.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations
    That was the old CBA, new one cuts it down to 28.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sport...html?referrer=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's fucked up. We need bigger rosters, not smaller ones. At the very least teams should have the ability to replace players on the injury list with players from their USL affiliate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to give the Whitecraps credit, but Octavio Rivero is the real deal. Looks twice the player Gilberto was and more or less the main reason they have gotten so many results to start the season.

If we head back down to South America to bring in a major piece at some point in the future, best to avoid the Brazilian league I think.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Hate to give the Whitecraps credit, but Octavio Rivero is the real deal. Looks twice the player Gilberto was and more or less the main reason they have gotten so many results to start the season.

If we head back down to South America to bring in a major piece at some point in the future, best to avoid the Brazilian league I think.
    Brazil? Wha?

A bit of a logical leap based on two guys who happen to be from different countries.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I understand, the Argentinian and Chilean Leagues are more like MLS than the Brazilian League. Players are somewhat cheaper as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a reason why Seria A teams years back stopped dipping in Brazil and looked at Chile and Colombia...Players in brazil are always very hyped and come at huge premiums....I personally love the way Colombian's play and i would look at that country for some gems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.insidespanishfootball.com...ilbao-for-mls/

Wonder if we could get this guy on a non-dp deal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Brazil? Wha?

A bit of a logical leap based on two guys who happen to be from different countries.
    Not two guys. Look around the league and the foreign quality being brought in. It is consistently from Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, etc. or Carribean nations. Very little impact players coming out of Brazil, and of the few who have, most went through other leagues first. The very best Brazilian players are snapped up by Portuguese teams, leaving second-rate players like Gilberto for MLS teams to look at. And Brazilian players are more expensive.

Gilberto reportedly cost us a transfer fee of over $3 million on the back of 14 goals in 24 games and 7 in 25 the year before. Rivero cost the Whitecaps $3 million - it would have been less if he hadn't been sold to O'Higgins with a sell-on fee - and he had two straight seasons of 10 goals, in 16 and 17 games respectively. There was every chance Gilberto could have worked out wonderfully, but the point is we paid more for a guy who was a step below the best in his league, and the Whitecaps were able to pay less for one of the best talents available. Just like we did with Laba.

Way more bang for your buck outside of Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are forgetting Maicon Santos :/

also there Jackson :/

oh...I see your point now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brazil is heavily scouted and a little more difficult to get anything at a bargain price. Not that it should be ignored but I agree if you're turning over rocks in SA as a MLS team on a budget, it's not the first place you start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Brazil is heavily scouted and a little more difficult to get anything at a bargain price. Not that it should be ignored but I agree if you're turning over rocks in SA as a MLS team on a budget, it's not the first place you start.
    There are also government regulations in Brazil preventing foreign scouts from working their without a local visa; so they have to work with local agents, who become a guaranteed layer of expensive graft. If they go down to Brazil, they basically have to go as spectators and unofficially, then open talks with the player's agent once they get back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For once im not jealous of other teams players. Id like us to gel more so which will happen in time. Also like to see our defense step it up a bit.
    All we can add imo is depth which is tough to do in this league

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives Galarcep ‏@SoccerByIves 47m47 minutes ago U.S. Soccer hasn’t confirmed it, but I’m told Jozy Altidore will indeed sit out the #USMNT - #ElTri friendly to serve a red card suspension.

Less travel for Jozy before the Dallas game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC announced Thursday that the club has acquired allocation money from the Vancouver Whitecaps FC in exchange for first right of refusal for midfielder Cristian Techera. As per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

More Garber bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Techera is a great technical, two-footed winger with good intelligence" - Robinson

Hey we could use that^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess he was one of the options mentioned here from an interview with Bez from Larson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    "Techera is a great technical, two-footed winger with good intelligence" - Robinson

Hey we could use that^
    Hoping maybe Vanney & crew identified our problem areas [DEFENSE] and figured a 5'2" forward wasn't what we needed to help us right now. At least I hope that's what they're thinking.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, at least TFC is doing some sort of scouting in SA. or someone told TFC about this Techera guy for TFC to call dibs on him and get something out of this deal
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious to see if, how and when our roster changes. Really the only thing we lack is depth and wing players. Theyd be nice but i think we can function for now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps are becoming scarier, thank goodness we played them first.

Not sure why Toronto won't bring in a loanee for the wing or defence. Toronto has a bigger presence in Europe now and some of the younger guys in the big leagues there probably won't frown upon being sent here for a few months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Whitecaps are becoming scarier, thank goodness we played them first.

Not sure why Toronto won't bring in a loanee for the wing or defence. Toronto has a bigger presence in Europe now and some of the younger guys in the big leagues there probably won't frown upon being sent here for a few months.
    Dont think theres room on the roster unless we move some folk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then move some folk!

fin and caldwell come to mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell I suspect will be here for the year but not any longer. Findley will likely be that guy who everyone tears their hair out over who the coach loves but fans can't stand. He'll be like Jackson on the wind last year shanking balls into the stands.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As per Davidson

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...ce=d-top-story

"In other news, Bezbatchenko says 19-year-old midfielder Manny Aparacio has been designated the team's season-long loanee to the USL's Toronto FC 2, which brings the top team's roster down to 28 players."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

also there Jackson :/
    Still don't get all the Jackson hate around here.

Yes, he suffers from judgment lapses and lacks technical ability...but the guy has scored 5 goals in 28 apps for us...and three of them were impact goals.

He's is also an impressive athlete and has decent defensive game. He's better than many of our past signings IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackson is not a player I want to rely on, but he's the perfect guy to come in and kill the last 20 minutes of a game off.

Interesting that Bez made room on the roster for one more. Does this mean they're likely cooking something up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Hey we could use that^
    We have no width. 0 width. Why wouldn't we sign him if we had the rights to him? I don't understand.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    We have no width. 0 width. Why wouldn't we sign him if we had the rights to him? I don't understand.
    He's on loan. If he was actually being paid by MLS to play here, he'd be a DP. Which, given the machinations that happen with bringing people in from South America means who knows what his status was when TFC was looking at him back over Christmas.

I agree we need width. Who knows, maybe at the time it was this dude or Cheyro or Perquis - both of those moves came real quick. In a cap league, moves are never simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    http://www.insidespanishfootball.com...ilbao-for-mls/

Wonder if we could get this guy on a non-dp deal...
    Yes, please. This would be a coup of massive proportions

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Jackson is not a player I want to rely on, but he's the perfect guy to come in and kill the last 20 minutes of a game off.

Interesting that Bez made room on the roster for one more. Does this mean they're likely cooking something up?
    No they had to make room on the roster for Simonin, whom they have already signed.