Page 72 of 88 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    did we get anything when Henry left?
    Is it worth bringing up the yougn kids if we end up selling them to make MLS the money

Also, this is MLS crushing NASL as much as they can. I bet we got gifted this gomez. He's a true super sub for MLS level of play.
    Gilberto situation, league doing us a solid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    yep and the dude hasn't scored a header goal all year... some forward
    Some good ol' Pele logic

Seriously though, for me, Findlay gets the Wiedeman/Lombardo forward gig now. If we are ahead by a couple late on then you toss him in to go full Timbits soccer and ball chase like a dog in an off leash park.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Gilberto situation, league doing us a solid
    exactly what I was thinking

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can't expect Giovinco to be 100% fit for every minute of every game. He gets beat up every game, and has already had the heel issue. If Gomez is fit, and with Altidore back, we are slightly less toast if Seba needs a break for half a game.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So here's my theory on all this USMNT players coming to TFC and the league for that matter.

You look at countries who have had great success on the world stage these past few years - I'm speaking to Germany and Spain in particular.
    Most of their players played on 2 teams with the rest majority very close by within their domestic league and only a small few being from outside the domestic league.

Perhaps the US players are taking a similar approach - get as many guys back into the league to begin competing together either on the same team or against each other. This way players know each others style a lot better.

Chemistry is built a lot faster in the early rounds of the World Cup, getting them into the knock out rounds a bit smoother than others. Then, it's all about taking a run and getting 2-3 results to get into the finals or close to it.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 08-07-2015 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    So here's my theory on all this USMNT players coming to TFC and the league for that matter.

You look at countries who have had great success on the world stage these past few years - I'm speaking to Germany and Spain in particular.
    Most of their players played on 2 teams with the rest majority very close by within their domestic league and only a small few being from outside the domestic league.

Perhaps the US players are taking a similar approach - get as many guys back into the league to begin competing together either on the same team or against each other. This way players know each others style a lot better.

Chemistry is built a lot faster in the early rounds of the World Cup, getting them into the knock out rounds a bit smoother than others. Then, it's all about taking a run and getting 2-3 results to get into the finals or close to it.
    I think it's the fact that there's more money in MLS than before. In fact, JK has been against most of these moves back to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post

That scenario is good for the USMNT but a bit of a sucker's game for the club team. Looks good on paper and even on the field for a while, but you might end up losing in the long run. Works nicely for countries where schedules don't overlap so much with major tournaments.

I like our guys but hope the situation doesn't bite us in the ass at some point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    We can't expect Giovinco to be 100% fit for every minute of every game. He gets beat up every game, and has already had the heel issue.
    I would think that when the season nears the end and if we are in a safe spot standings-wise, Seba would get a break and maybe sit out a game or a half here and there. Gomez signing should allow that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gomez has been angling for a return to MLS for a few years now. Sticking point was SKC not willing to meet his demands. He tweeted about this a few years ago.

He got older.

MLS stepped in a bit. SKC gets a bit of Garber bucks.

A good story for the league and all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Gomez has been angling for a return to MLS for a few years now. Sticking point was SKC not willing to meet his demands. He tweeted about this a few years ago.

He got older.

MLS stepped in a bit. SKC gets a bit of Garber bucks.

A good story for the league and all around.
    When he was doing well a couple of years ago he said he wanted to come to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    When he was doing well a couple of years ago he said he wanted to come to TFC.
    I vaguely remember this too, I like this signing overall.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of interesting signings by MLS clubs last week or so. I really like Maynor Figueroa signing for rapids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It was a few more consistent performances and then a false start derailed by injury. It's not "proven" he dominates at the championship level.
    Right, but if you put Zavaleta in for one game in the championship, he'd get fucking eaten alive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Lots of interesting signings by MLS clubs last week or so. I really like Maynor Figueroa signing for rapids.
    Speaking of a team getting old though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    TFC farm team ^
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Come on! You just made me LOL at work. Now people are wondering what I'm doing at my desk.
    Me too. Well done. That got a good snort out of me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the Vanney pregame video. He specifically mentioned Gomez as a wide midfielder saying that's what he did in Mexico of late. Did say he could fit into a number of places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the Vanney pregame video. He specifically mentioned Gomez as a wide midfielder saying that's what he did in Mexico of late. Did say he could fit into a number of places.
    That would be pretty dope if he could fill out our midfield nicely. At least for the next year or 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    That would be pretty dope if he could fill out our midfield nicely. At least for the next year or 2.
    What would our game day starting 11 look like with Gomez in the team do you think?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A wide forward in a 4-3-3. Not a wide midfielder/winger in a 4-4-2. Probably slowed down a lot w age too

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He specifically said midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets hope this doesn't turn into a Finley at LM take 2. The offence isn't broken and I'm happy with Osorio, Warner, Delgado, and Jackson covering the right and left midfield spots. I like Herc as a backup striker, but I don't like the idea of taking someone out of midfield to fit him in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The injury? And this is a depth signing. This is a replacement for Moore/Findley, not Jozy.
    Disagree that this is a depth signing. This guy is a starter in this league. He is a better signing than Koevermans was at the same age/stage.

Seeing the wide midfielder talk, that is a bit bizarre to me. He isn't Ryan Giggs, most guys aren't, he won't have the wheels to do that at his age. What this guy will do is score buckets against MLS defenders

Sorry but I think there is a message about how Altidore is doing in this signing. Not sure yet what that message is.

I am flat out amazed that we can get this guy in, and think he is a terrific signing, without reference to possible knock on locker room effects.

This could change my view of Bez. People are figuring out that MLS defenders cannot handle elite skilled players. Bez is doubling down on that proposition.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-08-2015 at 12:14 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore was a beast prior to his injury, and despite his struggles as of late as he is trying go regain his form, he still has an excellent strike rate for us based on the minutes he's played. I don't think he's going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Vanney might try Gomez as a starting wide midfielder, but he is not here to replace Altidore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Disagree that this is a depth signing. This guy is a starter in this league. He is a better signing than Koevermans was at the same age/stage.

Seeing the wide midfielder talk, that is a bit bizarre to me. He isn't Ryan Giggs, most guys aren't, he won't have the wheels to do that at his age. What this guy will do is score buckets against MLS defenders

Sorry but I think there is a message about how Altidore is doing in this signing. Not sure yet what that message is.

I am flat out amazed that we can get this guy in, and think he is a terrific signing, without reference to possible knock on locker room effects.

This could change my view of Bez. People are figuring out that MLS defenders cannot handle elite skilled players. Bez is doubling down on that proposition.
    More competition the better quite frankly, Findley isn't cutting and we needed someone who can actually push Altidore.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...ansfer-wi.html

List of transactions by MLS team in this summer transfer window
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He specifically said midfield.
    if Vanney thinks Gomez is best at a midfield position, he's an idiot. Gomez is a predatory striker who is at best when slashing in from a wide position.
    I dunno if Gomez has the wheels anymore. but let's try to stop experimenting with players at a position he's not familiar with.
    Gomez is a striker. full stop
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by "wide midfield", Vanney very likely means a wide forward in a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Let's not freak out over terminology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    by "wide midfield", Vanney very likely means a wide forward in a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Let's not freak out over terminology.
    But why even switch to one of those formations when the diamond 4-4-2 is working well enough offensively? All we'd be doing is sacrificing defense for more offence when it's the defense that's struggling. And lets also not forget that Giovinco didn't finally burst into form until he got played as a striker with a partner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    But why even switch to one of those formations when the diamond 4-4-2 is working well enough offensively? All we'd be doing is sacrificing defense for more offence when it's the defense that's struggling. And lets also not forget that Giovinco didn't finally burst into form until he got played as a striker with a partner.
    flexibility. There's been times this when switching out of the diamond mid game would have been a good idea, but we couldn't because we didn't have the right players. Gomez can be our first forward off the bench when we're in the diamond and put in a shift as a wide forward in a 4-3-3 when needed. It's good to have options.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I agree with you that this is a great signing and that Bez looks like he knows what he's doing here. But I disagree that Herculez is a full-time starter at this stage. We'll have to see if he forces his way into the starting lineup with his play. Koev was great, but he wasn't exactly a full-time player with all the injuries. And I still don't get the negativity around Altidore. The guy was a beast for us until picked up an injury. He had to leave the national team because of that and probably shouldn't even have gone. He's not back to full speed yet, but look at what he's done for us when he's played. Better than a goal every two games and his size and strength and touch give defenders all kinds of trouble and are essential to our possession and build-up play. Herculez hasn't been a full-time player in Mexico for the past two seasons. Can he still be a predatory, slashing, opportunistic striker for 90 minutes having lost a step? Maybe he can in MLS against slower defenders. But he's 33 and Altidore is 27 and not going anywhere. To me, this acquisition says more about Moore and Findley than it does about Altidore. It fills the big gaping hole in our lineup behind Giovinco. A key role for us given that Altidore gets a lot of call-ups and has somewhat wonky hamstring issues.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy