0 Thread(s)

who?

I would have prefered the west jet guy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too sure what to think of this, going from a true sports guy with a resume to back it up to someone that has overseen an airline with non the greatest track record.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Not too sure what to think of this, going from a true sports guy with a resume to back it up to someone that has overseen an airline with non the greatest track record.
    no no no, just air canada rogue. thats even less to be proud of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the hiring of a business guy. This signifies he runs the business side of the organization and allow the Team Presidents to run each team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

A glorified travel agent.

Fantastic.
    You are looking at it the wrong way. Air Canada offers the type of customer service MLSE can only hope to strive for one day

Game start times will now only be a suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    I like the hiring of a business guy. This signifies he runs the business side of the organization and allow the Team Presidents to run each team
    probably, but still doesnt have the resume for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    probably, but still doesnt have the resume for it

Michael has more than 25 years of experience in the international leisure travel business and a background in international travel, finance, marketing and sales management, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, and business integration.

probably not......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does everyone hate TFC? They had to announce all these MLSE changes, today?? Arghhhh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This just shows that no one with track record wants to work for MLSE. So MLSE hire non-sports guy to run their teams.

Hopefully this finding new president experience humble MLSE owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know this guy but seems like they got someone whose main job will be to do what the Board tells him to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    This just shows that no one with track record wants to work for MLSE. So MLSE hire non-sports guy to run their teams.

Hopefully this finding new president experience humble MLSE owners.
    Yeah, I guess this was the way this was rolling out. A lot of people turned them down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well maybe Friisdahl will get the ban on supporter's bags, flags, drums, etc. rescinded quite soon. There will however be a "nominal charge" of $28.25 per item if you want to bring these things into the stadium.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling all @ensco's

I want to hear you chime in, man.

Myself I'm kind of sad knowing less attention will be on TFC than with Lieweke. Not that I like what he did for me in the end but hey..
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this guy is a business guy. bye bye la galaxy model. hello philadelphia union model.

worst thing for TFC is the day TL leaves.

I would best describe this as LT's giant middle finger to the southstands.
    Last edited by Qman; 10-29-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    this guy is a business guy. bye bye la galaxy model. hello philadelphia union model.

Was worried about this too.
    TFC can't be all that profitable with the way it's set up right now with 3 big-time DP's... especially if we don't manage home playoff dates.

Don't see this new guy being as open to chasing big fish if/when one of our DP's leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post

Umm no. I highly doubt that will happen because then their revenue will decrease (lower attendance to lower jersey sales) while have a harder time to get their ROI from investing into BMO Field.

I personally believe this new guy isn't going to touch TFC since we already got a new president who will be handling TFC operations.

If anything, I think new president isn't going to do anything besides just to make sure everything is running smoothly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gdg_9 View Post
    Was worried about this too.
    TFC can't be all that profitable with the way it's set up right now with 3 big-time DP's... especially if we don't manage home playoff dates.

Don't see this new guy being as open to chasing big fish if/when one of our DP's leave.

If you add SUM money that TFC gets, then there's nothing to worry about when comes to being profitable.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hopefully, this guy is smart enough to let his team presidents run things. Ujiri seems to know what he's doing and Shanahan has made all the right moves. On our side of things, Manning is an experienced MLS team president, so that shows us that the structure is in place for these guys to run their teams and report to this guy.

At least, that's what it looks like on the surface.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE: TFC revenue

In all the AA/Blue Jays hoopla this morning, this little tidbit showed up

Make of it what you will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    RE: TFC revenue

In all the AA/Blue Jays hoopla this morning, this little tidbit showed up

Make of it what you will.
    When you add gate revenue and SUM money for TFC, it's hard to see how they're losing millions of dollars like some posters here claim to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    When you add gate revenue and SUM money for TFC, it's hard to see how they're losing millions of dollars like some posters here claim to be.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the SUM money was included in that $21m figure but yea, gate and concessions would be on top of that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hoo boy.

I don’t know this guy from Adam, but this is perfect. Bogers take the cake with this. The ultimate act of cynicism, in a cynical world.

For those who are not frequent flyers, let me tell you what the airline business model as practiced by Air Canada is all about. They are 65% of all commercial air traffic in Canada, but in a lot of major markets (like the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle) it's more like 80-90%. AC is all about refining the practice of exerting monopoly power to the nth degree. These guys are the masters. Let me enumerate the strategy/segmentation here:

First, for a tiny group, the top half of 1% of spenders (this is Super Elite on AC), lavishly increase the offering. Increase availabity of upgrades or award flights, have glamourous looking separate checkins for this group, generally treat them like plutocrats. Do this very publicly/ostentatiously. Make everyone else look at this group enviously.

Next, target a broader group of your most loyal customers, and give them less. In AC’s case, this has meant gutting the value of Aeroplan, by changing rules without warning that make flight awards and upgrades more expensive or impossible to get. Sell access to the lounges to credit card companies by the thousands, so that they are far less attractive an amenity. Do it a little each year. Kind of like boiling the frog. (FYI these guys are the kings of Orwellian double speak. Every time they reduce the value of the service or product they are providing, they call it an Enhancement.)

Finally, for the masses, cheapen/devalue the baseline experience like crazy. It’s a race to the bottom. Cut staff to the bone, and don't pay the ones that are left properly - you need a demoralized workforce to pull this off properly. Make sure that lineups at airports are longer, call center wait times are ridiculous, bags come out slower. Make the seats smaller and smaller. Charge for everything (bags, better seats, meals, you name it). Force people onto Rouge (or “Scrooge” as I like to call it) because AC mainline no longer serves their route. Roll out new AC Boeing 777 High Density aircraft with 10 abreast seating (these aircraft are known to flight attendants as the “slave ships”). Make this group suffer so much that flying is damn near intolerable, and anybody who can, will pay to escape the pain.

The strategy overall – revenues are what they are. Get costs down and make most people crazy, by taking stuff from them that they used to have, so that they are willing to pay real money to “move up” to the next group. Oh, by the way, there are no relationships with customers, if they are not profitable enough we cut people off. When we want to.

Listen, people have to fly, and they don't have to go to TFC or Leaf games, but I'll wager a fair chunk of this is coming soon to all your favourite sports teams.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-29-2015 at 11:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....that makes sense for the Leafs where revenues are what they are.

The other divisions - not so sure that works. BMO without the supporters area is dead and trying to upgrade people from that is mindless.

A good read ensco. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should we read anything into the timing of the announcement? Would it have mattered if they announced it tomorrow? Perhaps they didn't even consider the timing because TFC is actually pretty insignificant when it comes to their sports franchise group.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hoo boy.

I don’t know this guy from Adam, but this is perfect. Bogers take the cake with this. The ultimate act of cynicism, in a cynical world.

For those who are not frequent flyers, let me tell you what the airline business model as practiced by Air Canada is all about. They are 65% of all commercial air traffic in Canada, but in a lot of major markets (like the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal triangle) it's more like 80-90%. AC is all about refining the practice of exerting monopoly power to the nth degree. These guys are the masters. Let me enumerate the strategy/segmentation here:

First, for a tiny group, the top half of 1% of spenders (this is Super Elite on AC), lavishly increase the offering. Increase availabity of upgrades or award flights, have glamourous looking separate checkins for this group, generally treat them like plutocrats. Do this very publicly/ostentatiously. Make everyone else look at this group enviously.

Next, target a broader group of your most loyal customers, and give them less. In AC’s case, this has meant gutting the value of Aeroplan, by changing rules without warning that make flight awards and upgrades more expensive or impossible to get. Sell access to the lounges to credit card companies by the thousands, so that they are far less attractive an amenity. Do it a little each year. Kind of like boiling the frog. (FYI these guys are the kings of Orwellian double speak. Every time they reduce the value of the service or product they are providing, they call it an Enhancement.)

Finally, for the masses, cheapen/devalue the baseline experience like crazy. It’s a race to the bottom. Cut staff to the bone, and don't pay the ones that are left properly - you need a demoralized workforce to pull this off properly. Make sure that lineups at airports are longer, call center wait times are ridiculous, bags come out slower. Make the seats smaller and smaller. Charge for everything (bags, better seats, meals, you name it). Force people onto Rouge (or “Scrooge” as I like to call it) because AC mainline no longer serves their route. Roll out new AC Boeing 777 High Density aircraft with 10 abreast seating (these aircraft are known to flight attendants as the “slave ships”). Make this group suffer so much that flying is damn near intolerable, and anybody who can, will pay to escape the pain.

The strategy overall – revenues are what they are. Get costs down and make most people crazy, by taking stuff from them that they used to have, so that they are willing to pay real money to “move up” to the next group. Oh, by the way, there are no relationships with customers, if they are not profitable enough we cut people off. When we want to.

Listen, people have to fly, and they don't have to go to TFC or Leaf games, but I'll wager a fair chunk of this is coming soon to all your favourite sports teams.
    Wow. I knew you wouldn't let me down. That is information.

Soooooooo....

We're gonna get free travel to TFC away games for the first time in our history...riiiiiiight?

But really this could mean we have to build a team with a model that isn't 3 DP's to sneak into the playoffs. Not easy but it probably won't be a choice soon.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no reason for them to ditch TFC salary - TFC salary drives revenue. Upgrades at an outdoor stadium controlled by the city while the masses get less? Yeah, good luck selling that atmosphere.

Nah, I see this guy letting Manning do his job while he focuses on maximising the "Leaf experience".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought, Did MLSE do Rogers a favour by announcing the new president on the day Alex Anthopoulos announced that he would not be be staying on as GM of the Blue Jays after taking this city by storm this fall and summer?
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 10-29-2015 at 12:10 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There is no reason for them to ditch TFC salary - TFC salary drives revenue.
    TFC spent $17M over the cap to "drive" maybe $5M in revenue.

Leiweke sold it as part of a vision to increase asset value. Your guess is as good as mine as to how the new guy will see it, but I'd look at who Leiweke was before he got here, how Leiweke's stint went, and where this new guy comes from.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Just a thought, Did MLSE do Rogers a favour by announcing the new president on the day Alex Anthopoulos announced that he would not be be staying on as GM of the Blue Jays after taking this city by storm this fall and summer?
    Favour? Could be just as likely the opposite. Not the first timing snafu between Bogers properties announcements.