Page 13 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    If Caldwell was to retire to a $500K job in the front office as a scout or something, would his current salary become available to sign someone new?
    No it still counts on the cap i believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not how it works in other US leagues. It would mean that Caldwell would be forfeiting the price of his contract, not us, meaning we're not beholden to the contract. if there's no more contract it's not against the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    not how it works in other US leagues. It would mean that Caldwell would be forfeiting the price of his contract, not us, meaning we're not beholden to the contract. if there's no more contract it's not against the cap.
    Yeah but this is MLS.
    How great would it be if there was an injured reserve option and it didn't count against the cap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

biggest swings in one week
    Team Chance: Change Biggest Reason Why League
    Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC make playoffs 63.3 % +21.4 New York 3 - 2 Pittsburgh USL PRO
    Harrisburg City Islanders make playoffs 55.2 +21.2 New York 3 - 2 Pittsburgh USL PRO
    Port Adelaide Power make playoffs 56.4 +20.3 Crows 91 - 115 Power AFL
    Essendon Bombers make playoffs 59.0 +17.9 Saints 80 - 82 Bombers AFL
    Rochester Rhinos first-round bye 77.6 +16.7 New York 3 - 2 Pittsburgh USL PRO
    HJK UEFA EL 61.9 +16.2 HJK 3 - 0 FF Jaro Veikkausliiga
    NY Red Bulls II make playoffs 30.1 +13.9 New York 3 - 2 Pittsburgh USL PRO
    SJK UEFA EL 65.7 +13.9 SJK 2 - 0 HIFK Veikkausliiga
    Toronto FC make playoffs 84.6 +13.9 NYCFC 1 - 3 Sounders MLS
    IF Elfsborg european cup 61.0 +12.8 GIF Sundsvall 0 - 1 Elfsborg Allsvenskan
    Last edited by stevep; 05-04-2015 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So our buddy David Amoyal was just on Soccermorning and said this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishak_Belfodil just rescinded his contract with Parma. Guess what team Amoyal linked him to...

And guess who he shares an agent with....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amoyal should figure out that MLS has a cap system. It would save him a lot of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

French and Algerian media have him going to Turkey btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell you guys this, Belfodil was a good prospect 2 years ago. Kid was doing so well in serie a, then went to inter and lost his touch. He would be a solid buy low project, has been horrible since his break out year. Maybe he needs to get away from a top league and get his swag back

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Amoyal should figure out that MLS has a cap system. It would save him a lot of time.
    I think he's been told this but he's getting his info from Italian agents - they have no clue about the DP & cap system here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think he's been told this but he's getting his info from Italian agents - they have no clue about the DP & cap system here.
    Just because we're linked to 5 players doesn't mean we are trying to sign 5 players, some of these guys may also be contingencies

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Just because we're linked to 5 players doesn't mean we are trying to sign 5 players, some of these guys may also be contingencies
    The history of overseas player rumours and MLS indicates that most information starts with agents, and 98% of it is talk designed to get a contract somewhere else. That Bez was in Italy is a known. Apart from that, I trust nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The history of overseas player rumours and MLS indicates that most information starts with agents, and 98% of it is talk designed to get a contract somewhere else. That Bez was in Italy is a known. Apart from that, I trust nothing.
    I do not doubt our interest in the majority of the players we're linked to, we have ambitious management, whether we sign them, I feel, is a different story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not doubt our interest in the majority of the players we're linked to, we have ambitious management, whether we sign them, I feel, is a different story
    but our managment knows we have no cap space, and therefore is very unlikely to be pursuing targets like Belfodil and Nocerino, who under no circumstances could we fit into our roster atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belfodil would be solid on the wing. Played at Lyon, Parma, Inter and Bologna, plus we could probably get him on a non-DP contract.

Looks like a decent signing, if true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This all seems a bit odd. Sure, common agent... But that shouldn't mean too much other than a GM and a 3rd party that know each other.

Maybe we're just being used to pump up asking prices for other clubs (which is a real possibility).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This all seems a bit odd. Sure, common agent... But that shouldn't mean too much other than a GM and a 3rd party that know each other.

Maybe we're just being used to pump up asking prices for other clubs (which is a real possibility).
    Well there is something there. Bez was in Italy last week watching Parma. I don't see how this can fit for our team but I'd welcome a wing addition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just listened to Amoyal on Soccer Morning, recognized criticism regarding the players we have been linked to in Italy and the number of DPs on the roster currently but added that Belfodil (and other Parma players) might not be looking to collect DP money as they have not been getting for the last few months, Belfodil also has the same agent as Gio and Bez attended the Parma game with Amico
    Also listened to Bez interview with TSN, he mentioned he was in Madrid which could probably means Vallecano as Real and Atletico players are way out of our budget, also mentioned he attended games to see players in person specifically for the summer window

To combine the info from the two interviews it is easy to see Belfodil being a summer target if we move a Robbie Findley type salary

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I can see the money being available, but I don't get why we get a striker of that calibre to back up Gio and Altidore (Gold Cup time etc) when our crying need is in defence, specifically for a CD and a RB?

Are we becoming the striker version of Philly - all strikers all the time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I can see the money being available, but I don't get why we get a striker of that calibre to back up Gio and Altidore (Gold Cup time etc) when our crying need is in defence, specifically for a CD and a RB?

Are we becoming the striker version of Philly - all strikers all the time?
    Theres no doubt he'd be a winger for us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for some extra intrigue, it appears our man Amoyal is going to be in Toronto for the game this weekend.

So expect a flood of "news" next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres no doubt he'd be a winger for us
    If we can get rid of Findley it would be nice. But Amoyal is getting less reliable with every tweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    If we can get rid of Findley it would be nice. But Amoyal is getting less reliable with every tweet.
    Why? Because we haven't signed anyone? Reliability can only be judged after summer window

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I'd like to think that these players might be available, they probably aren't.

BUT, what if they'd sign a very short term contract for less cash to show what they can do for the rest of their prospective suitors. Get some cash over the next 3 months at least, and have a place to play too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can get a far more astute player for less money than Belfodil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? Because we haven't signed anyone? Reliability can only be judged after summer window
    Because he's just throwing out names who share the same agent as Giovinco and linking them all with Toronto. Jose Mauri? He's 18 and being linked with Chelsea and Bayern. Aquilani is likely going back to Roma. If anything they're just using Toronto's recent $$ splashes as a bargaining tool because nobody there realizes there's a DP rule and limit in MLS.

I would love to be wrong and eat my shorts if either of those 2 or Nocerino come over...We'll see in the summer I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez (in a Sun article) is saying their laying the ground work for summer and winter transactions. But also stated that they have the ability to bring in more players in the summer. We'll need guys to come in with all our absences due to the Gold Cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Bez (in a Sun article) is saying their laying the ground work for summer and winter transactions. But also stated that they have the ability to bring in more players in the summer. We'll need guys to come in with all our absences due to the Gold Cup.
    I figure the Gold Cup is going to four with two of them away for while. Jozy and The General for the US and for Canada, Ashtone and Jonathan. With those four away for various amounts of time, some players need to step up and some additional would be nice to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the league just let DC void Eddie Johnson's contract which, according to the article:

The move allows D.C. to replace Johnson on the squad and free up salary cap space while the league works out details before officially announcing his retirement.
    Which begs the question, if they're letting DC get him off the books and use the cap space to bring someone else in, why can't we do something similar, for example with Caldwell as others have suggested... other than the obvious answer that there's no consistency with MLS rules and decision, and this is at their discretion and will not set a precedent.

http://www.espnfc.us/dc-united/story...mls-voids-deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to read the original Washington Post article on it.It's is a much more complex issue but MLS voided the contract not DC. MLS voided it because of his heart condition and the fact that he is unfit to play. This one is going to be tied up by lawyers and the Union for a while.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-kickers-duty/