Page 22 of 88 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news for us, Giovinco not called up to latest Italy squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer View Post
    Nothing against Stevo but 325K for him is absolutely mental. Makes me cringe every time I'm reminded of it.
    Dont forget that his first season he was way underpaid. I am wondering if it isn't his Achilles, not his calf. Lots of examples of athletes struggling with serious Achilles problems in their thirties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question regarding transfers (and I guess this would only apply to North American teams in the last couple years)

Is it rare or often you can get a prime player like Giovinco on a free transfer?

Isn't that terrible asset management from Juve? I would be pretty disappointed if Bradley left for nothing after the club spent money to acquire him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as Caldwell goes I think the poor guy is done I hope I am wrong but with a Achilles It is very hard to recover.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    A question regarding transfers (and I guess this would only apply to North American teams in the last couple years)

Is it rare or often you can get a prime player like Giovinco on a free transfer?

Isn't that terrible asset management from Juve? I would be pretty disappointed if Bradley left for nothing after the club spent money to acquire him.
    He wasn't a prime player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He wasn't a prime player.
    He wasn't prime? You mean his age? Or his place in the Juve line up? Because if you're referring to his age, than you're wrong, but if you're referring to the line up, then not many players in the world can find a spot in Juve's starting midfield - it's stacked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know nothing about how Giovinco came to be on an expiring contract, but I agree that it's weird.

Almost anyone Gio's age who features, like Gio did, on a team of Juve's stature is either re-signed or transferred 18 months (or worst case 12 months) before the contract expires.

Probably an interesting story.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I know nothing about how Giovinco came to be on an expiring contract, but I agree that it's weird.

Almost anyone Gio's age who features, like Gio did, on a team of Juve's stature is either re-signed or transferred 18 months (or worst case 12 months) before the contract expires.

Probably an interesting story.
    I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. If I was a player, I'd play out my contract so I could tell my new team to pay me a higher salary since they don't have to pay a transfer fee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Free transfers for in prime players are more common place than some in here think.

James Miliner and Sami Khedira just signed bosman transfers. Dani Alves is about to move on one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Alves is older, that's not new, but obviously things are evolving.

Doubt you could name 3 prominent under 30 players from mega teams like Milner/Khedira/Giovinco going on a free from any previous year.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three is a stretch but last year Lewandoswki went from Dortmund to Bayern and Jeremy Menez went from PSG to AC Milan on frees.

Fernando Llorente joined Juve from Bilbao on a free the previous year.

Stubborn agents and chairmen will always mean there will be a few big name, big price under 30 free agents moving pretty much every summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

always tons of players going free

Dejong, pogba, pirlo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lewandowski was a free too. Stayed with BvB till the end of their season and then signed on with Bayern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/ml...---nYJRYw15BE/

Core Designated Player.. someone making over the 450ths. but not more than a maximum 1M (undetermined yet). This would be the fourth DP.

Great news. Hoping this comes into play for the summer transfer season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    http://www.metro.us/kristian-dyer/ml...---nYJRYw15BE/

Core Designated Player.. someone making over the 450ths. but not more than a maximum 1M (undetermined yet). This would be the fourth DP.

Great news. Hoping this comes into play for the summer transfer season.
    wonder if we already have one in Cheyrou

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff Carlisle had reported similar during CBA talks RE 4th DP spot.

Twellmann tweeted last week that the MLS BOG was meeting in Dallas to discuss new roster mechanisms for the summer window.

It's all tying together nicely to indicate something like that is defo happening.

How we'd fit one in given our cap situation is another story though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Jeff Carlisle had reported similar during CBA talks RE 4th DP spot.

Twellmann tweeted last week that the MLS BOG was meeting in Dallas to discuss new roster mechanisms for the summer window.

It's all tying together nicely to indicate something like that is defo happening.

How we'd fit one in given our cap situation is another story though
    Yeah..wouldn't it still count like 350k or whatever towards our cap? Doesn't look like we have much room...they need to lessen the hit on the cap for DPs so it doesn't take away from the rest of the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No new DP coming:

Dan Courtemanche ‏@courtemancheMLS . @KristianRDyer @metronewyork Major League Soccer does not have any plans to add another Designated Player slot

https://twitter.com/courtemancheMLS/...16913227255808

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    No new DP coming:

Dan Courtemanche ‏@courtemancheMLS . @KristianRDyer @metronewyork Major League Soccer does not have any plans to add another Designated Player slot

Could just mean they will call it something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moralis View Post
    No new DP coming:

Just to save everyone's face I'll point out that the original story said they were discussing it. That's not the same as "having plans." PR people actually take these semantics seriously, although they shouldn't.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's obviously somebody in MLS land that wants a 4th DP. This has been brought up WAY too often by too many different media members.

And somebody that doesn't want it.

My bet would be NYCFC, Orlando, TFC, LAG & Seattle want it and the usual dinosaurs do not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Just to save everyone's face I'll point out that the original story said they were discussing it. That's not the same as "having plans." PR people actually take these semantics seriously, although they shouldn't.
    Definitely this. Also, its MLS, anything changes at any little whim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know where else to put this, put TFC just made it to the top 3 in the MLS Power Rankings. Have we ever done this before?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...bastian-giovin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Yeah..wouldn't it still count like 350k or whatever towards our cap? Doesn't look like we have much room...they need to lessen the hit on the cap for DPs so it doesn't take away from the rest of the squad.
    amen, DPs shouldnt hurt the depth as much as it does. would be cool if lower teams could trade their DPs for a season for an extra roster spot and allocation money.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dv23 View Post
    Don't know where else to put this, put TFC just made it to the top 3 in the MLS Power Rankings. Have we ever done this before?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...bastian-giovin
    I am too lazy to look it up but if I recall we started at No 3 in week 1 last season when we beat the Sounders at their opener. That was back when everyone in MLS expected big things from us and it looked like it could happen at the start of the season. All down hill from there of course. I don't think I have seen higher than no 3 for us but I like this one better because we started from near the bottom and worked our way up. Maybe we can get that "Started from the Bottom" scarf made soon. I have alot more confidence we can stay in the top 5 for a bit if the team's form is maintained. Getting Bradley and Altidore back for the next game should help. Too bad Gold Cup is around the corner where we could lose them again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team has shown that they could win even without jozy and bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I am too lazy to look it up but if I recall we started at No 3 in week 1 last season when we beat the Sounders at their opener. That was back when everyone in MLS expected big things from us and it looked like it could happen at the start of the season. All down hill from there of course. I don't think I have seen higher than no 3 for us but I like this one better because we started from near the bottom and worked our way up. Maybe we can get that "Started from the Bottom" scarf made soon. I have alot more confidence we can stay in the top 5 for a bit if the team's form is maintained. Getting Bradley and Altidore back for the next game should help. Too bad Gold Cup is around the corner where we could lose them again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moore is an excellent backup striker. He links well with everyone we've put him with so far (first Gilberto and now Giovinco).

Gold cup will be a test for us just like anyone else with decent players. It's a fantastic opportunity for our depth guys to get games though.

---------------Konopka---------------
    Bloom - Perquis - Zavaleta - Morrow
    ---------------Cheyrou----------------
    --------Warner ----- Jackson--------
    --------------Chapman----------------
    --------Moore-------- Giovinco-------

We're not looking all that bad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Monlinaro's article today http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/toron...tian-giovinco/

Vanney confirmed that defenders Steven Caldwell and Clement Simonin, both out with long-term injuries, should return to training later this week but there is no timeline as to when they might play again.

Midfielder Collen Warner, also sidelined due to injury in recent weeks, is progressing and could feature in the game against New York.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Moore is an excellent backup striker. He links well with everyone we've put him with so far (first Gilberto and now Giovinco).

Gold cup will be a test for us just like anyone else with decent players. It's a fantastic opportunity for our depth guys to get games though.

---------------Konopka---------------
    Bloom - Perquis - Zavaleta - Morrow
    ---------------Cheyrou----------------
    --------Warner ----- Jackson--------
    --------------Chapman----------------
    --------Moore-------- Giovinco-------

We're not looking all that bad.
    It feels so weird looking at our B team and not feeling frustrated inside. Loving the depth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got back from the US/Colombia U20 game. Have to say, wasn't overly impressed with Delgado. Didn't have much first touch and did some flopping. Though did decently well defensively (blocked a bunch of shots, some good workrate on the back end). Though didn't have the greatest view through the beer goggles.