Page 14 of 88 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that it's more complex with the heart condition, which is noted as the reason in the ESPN piece. But again, is this setting some precedent? If they do it for a heart condition that forced his retirement, then why not a concussion? Or a knee injury? Or because the guy is getting old and losing pace?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    I get that it's more complex with the heart condition, which is noted as the reason in the ESPN piece. But again, is this setting some precedent? If they do it for a heart condition that forced his retirement, then why not a concussion? Or a knee injury? Or because the guy is getting old and losing pace?
    Bluntly, because there is a history of players dropping dead from heart conditions in front of thousands...nothing else is as extreme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only precedent it will set is for future players with non football related medical conditions that prevent them from playing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    You need to read the original Washington Post article on it.It's is a much more complex issue but MLS voided the contract not DC. MLS voided it because of his heart condition and the fact that he is unfit to play. This one is going to be tied up by lawyers and the Union for a while.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-kickers-duty/

This is a sad situation for him.

It also highlights the contract nature of the league. MLS released him. Team had no say. Ultimately, contracts are signed and held with the league. Fans and uninformed journalists can pretend that we have this free market system when it comes to players. That teams make shrewd signings and "cap management" decisions. The vast majority of the players come to MLS and stay based on MLS' terms, not the teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salve ragazzi, sono nuovo in questo forum, sono italiano e mi piacerebbe poter scambiare delle opinioni con voi. Chiedo scusa ma io non conosco la vostra lingua per cui mi affido alle traduzioni di google per poter leggere, e spero che voi possiate capirmi. Sto seguendo in tv le partite della vostra squadra da quando č arrivato da voi Sebastian Giovinco. Adesso sono anche io un tifoso del Toronto FC! Sono abituato a vedere le squadre europee, sinceramente ho trovato delle differenze nel livello del vostro campionato, sia come gioco che come giocatori: la vostra squadra a mio avviso ha principalmente dei problemi in difesa. Sia tatticamente che come uomini, penso che ci sia molto lavoro da fare per migliorare in quella zona del campo. Anche l'allenatore, senza offesa per nessuno, mi pare che non sia ancora riuscito a dare un gioco alla squadra e a risolvere i problemi difensivi. Ci sono dei giocatori di buon livello: Bradley che conoscevo dai tempi della Roma, Altidore e soprattutto Seba che, posso dirvi perchč lo conosco bene, sta giocando in questo momento al 50% delle sue possibilitā. Un saluto a tutti!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ciao
    Last edited by Witschge9; 05-11-2015 at 08:44 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the league just let DC void Eddie Johnson's contract which, according to the article:

Which begs the question, if they're letting DC get him off the books and use the cap space to bring someone else in, why can't we do something similar, for example with Caldwell as others have suggested... other than the obvious answer that there's no consistency with MLS rules and decision, and this is at their discretion and will not set a precedent.

http://www.espnfc.us/dc-united/story...mls-voids-deal
    As sad as it is, a player having to retire early for a heart condition, this hardly rates as sad as

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/05...ealth-concerns

Eddie had a great career and at 31 any player is lucky to be playing at his level. Congrats to him on retiring instead of taking chances with his life.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Witschge9 View Post
    Salve ragazzi, sono nuovo in questo forum, sono italiano e mi piacerebbe poter scambiare delle opinioni con voi. Chiedo scusa ma io non conosco la vostra lingua per cui mi affido alle traduzioni di google per poter leggere, e spero che voi possiate capirmi. Sto seguendo in tv le partite della vostra squadra da quando č arrivato da voi Sebastian Giovinco. Adesso sono anche io un tifoso del Toronto FC! Sono abituato a vedere le squadre europee, sinceramente ho trovato delle differenze nel livello del vostro campionato, sia come gioco che come giocatori: la vostra squadra a mio avviso ha principalmente dei problemi in difesa. Sia tatticamente che come uomini, penso che ci sia molto lavoro da fare per migliorare in quella zona del campo. Anche l'allenatore, senza offesa per nessuno, mi pare che non sia ancora riuscito a dare un gioco alla squadra e a risolvere i problemi difensivi. Ci sono dei giocatori di buon livello: Bradley che conoscevo dai tempi della Roma, Altidore e soprattutto Seba che, posso dirvi perchč lo conosco bene, sta giocando in questo momento al 50% delle sue possibilitā. Un saluto a tutti!
    Welcome! Agree that our main problems are on Defense. I dont' think Vanney is the best manager available by any means but I want to let him figure things out. Our Tradition at TFC is to fire everyone before they can get a full 2 years in. The game yesterday was one of the worst one's I've seen this year from the team. I'm not sure why we came out with the defensive 4-4-2.. clearly Vanney opted for "not lose" mentality ahead of the "go out and win". Hagglund shouldn't be starting for us, we really need another experienced CB in order to help us out. Also a normal RB is needed for Vanney's preferred method of playing which is to use to the outside backs forward. We don't seem to have a single guy that can cross in with his right foot.. shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would LOVE to see a guy like Nigel De Jong of Milan here at TFC...that pure midfield destroyer, too bad it wont happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    This is a sad situation for him.

It also highlights the contract nature of the league. MLS released him. Team had no say. Ultimately, contracts are signed and held with the league. Fans and uninformed journalists can pretend that we have this free market system when it comes to players. That teams make shrewd signings and "cap management" decisions. The vast majority of the players come to MLS and stay based on MLS' terms, not the teams.
    The reason this is unfolding the way it is is because of reports that Johnson already knew about the heart condition before he signed the DP deal but did not disclose it to the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of note

Andrew Wiebe@andrew_wiebe 13s14 seconds ago
    Just a reminder, #MLS primary window trade deadline is tomorrow. Secondary window is open from July 8-August 6. Who needs to make a move?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Findey is rubbish and Osorio is not a winger. If only we had someone like this ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Findey is rubbish and Osorio is not a winger. If only we had someone like this ..
    Why did we get rid of him again...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who did we get for Oduro? His speed would be a huge lift down the wings. We have no pace.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Who did we get for Oduro? His speed would be a huge lift down the wings. We have no pace.
    Man can't score or pass. Jackson at least can play defence and has shown himself able to do a basic square pass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Man can't score or pass. Jackson at least can play defence and has shown himself able to do a basic square pass.
    Who was the trade for though? Nvm, it was for allocation.
    I'm not a Jackson hater by any means, I appreciate what he has to offer.
    But Oduro > Findlay...Findlay is just useless at double the salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. We have no wingers. It was clear coming Into the season we had no width. Opposition just clogs the middle.
    2. Perquis hasn't been the CB stud that TFC needed.
    3. Our CM is composed of two players that aren't really offensive. That results in the ball just being booted to the forwards.
    4. Bloom being out so long at RB has been tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    1. We have no wingers. It was clear coming Into the season we had no width. Opposition just clogs the middle.
    2. Perquis hasn't been the CB stud that TFC needed.
    3. Our CM is composed of two players that aren't really offensive. That results in the ball just being booted to the forwards.
    4. Bloom being out so long at RB has been tough.
    1. True, and I believe the design was to play more centrally with overlapping fullbacks. Sadly we've been destroyed on the counter everytime we've tried that.
    2. I think Perquis has done an adequate job, better than Caldwell for likley the same money. Having Caldwell out and needing to play Hagglund has not helped anything.
    3. They aren't natural CAM sure but they're both offensively minded... I'd argue that getting a destroyer type like Laba would allow both Cheyou and Bradley to excel.
    4. 100% spot on. Not sure Bloom really is the answer but we have no one good right sided players.. NONE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Who was the trade for though? Nvm, it was for allocation.
    I'm not a Jackson hater by any means, I appreciate what he has to offer.
    But Oduro > Findlay...Findlay is just useless at double the salary.
    Oduro makes slightly more. Which is crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Oduro makes slightly more. Which is crazy.
    Nope Oduro makes about 250k whilst Findley should make 290k

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both are overpaid. Hoping for a Findley trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Damn Oduro is hella overpaid too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

findley and caldwell out=lots of $$ for us to spend....might not be this season though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Not sure the raises this year but last year according to the MLSPA Findley got $215K and Oduro $250K.

Even with the 'bonafide' offer that we would have used on Findley, it'd make him in the $240K range.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 05-12-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First trade deadline of the year today. As part of the new rules trades have to be made during the windows. You can't make MLS trades out side of the transfer windows like in previous years.

So nothing happens today, this is what we have until July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad Oduro is gone, he has cinder blocks for feet. Findley is not a wide MF, we knew this already. The only legit winger we have is Lovitz I believe.

We need actual natural wide players who can dribble and cross the ball. I think Giovinco should be playing out wide in a 4-3-3. Kristian Jack makes that case here.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-case-for-4-3-3-giovinco-out-wide-at-tfc-1.280794

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this is true, Bez should be all over it. He's a RB that would fit the profile of how Vanney wants his FBs to play.

Window closes today for trades between #MLS teams. Hearing whispers Hernan Grana could be being shopped by #CrewSC.

EDIT: NVM, Crew have terminated his contract and he is heading back to Argentina due to "homesickness".
    Last edited by Areathrasher; 05-12-2015 at 11:17 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not.

Adam Jardy ‏@AdamJardy 2m2 minutes ago #crewsc has parted ways with Hernan Grana, citing extreme homesickness. Family remains in Argentina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad for the league.. he was an excellent RB. Good thing for us though and that I cut him from my fantasy team when I did!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we part ways with Findley for homesickness too, I'm terribly sick of seeing him on the pitch.