Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Again, Bez put himself in this situation by first signing a crap player to fairly big money then getting more DPs than the league allows. Smarter management wouldn't have bought the swamp in Florida.
    That's BS.....LA put themselves in that position and the league bent backwards to allow them to have 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro said we didn't want to use TAM on him so presumably Chicago could.
    The point of TAM is to free up a DP slot, hence you apply it to your cheapest DP. Unless their front office is dumb as bricks, Chicago will pay down Accam because he makes the least of their 3 DPs, so they won't need to use as much TAM on Accam as they would on Gilberto or their other DPs.

However with the allocation they got from Drogba, they technically wouldn't even need to use TAM (if the reported figure of 250k is accurate, that's enough to pay down Accam with a bit left over). However since 100k in TAM expires after each season, I suspect Chicago will either pay down Accam in only TAM or will use at least 100k of TAM and then the rest with general allocation.

These rules man.

I'm just glad Bez didn't panic and use TAM on Gilberto. It may have been possible but it would've fucked us for the next 5 years.

What we probably should have done was trade Gilberto over the off-season. I think the plan was to send him to Brazil, have him perform well, and then either Vasco buys him or we trade him in MLS for a better return. His value was probably very very low over the off-season (low production for a DP and attitude problems) which is why I think Bez went for a loan. Honestly, it wasn't an awful decision at the time... I'd say the chances of Gilberto crashing and burning in his home league were pretty low. But here we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The bigger news for LAG is Dos Santos - he's their version of Giovinco. Teams should be trying to find 3 guys like that.
    I'm curious about that one. He was terrible at Spurs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious about that one. He was terrible at Spurs.
    Altidore was horrible at Sunderland, but I'm happy with him.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had the off season to transfer him. No one would pay even 5% of what we evaluated him at? That would have been better than "fuck it, you take him."
    You are right, it would have been better to get something rather than nothing.

We loaned him out either hoping that A) he gets playing time, impresses then we sell him or B) loan team buys him.

Instead the guy gets into some dust up and gets dropped while the window is open.

To me, it just looks like terrible luck. Be better if we were more forward looking but with the amount of change this team continually bites off on, we are just starting to see a settled attitude on that front.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking transfer him in the off season then. Why did we hold on? Any transfer fee would have been better than what we got.

I'm shocked most people here don't think we came out poorly on this. Especially given how often Gilberto was lauded on the boards last season.
    I think part of the reason is because of the type of team we have on the field and the type of players that Bez/Vanney have brought in. Never seen an attack and midfield like the one we have now. Doesn't excuse the Gilberto stuff but gives them credibility that they know what they are doing and how to manage the cap. Bez recovered the situation the best he could. The worse play here is to use Core DP on Gilberto.

Transfer him in the offseason? Agreed but we don't know how stuff played out behind closed doors, pressure from the league ect. Ill never discount MLS throwing a wrench in their own system lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    Altidore was horrible at Sunderland, but I'm happy with him.
    If he ends up working out well LA will destroy everyone. I don't know how you defend Keane, Gio, Zardes, Gerrard, let alone their next tier of players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt we got or will get anything from Chicago for Gilberto but it would be nice if they passed along the rights to Simeon Jackson to us. He might be able to find a spot as depth on the wing for TFC and we already know Chicago passed on him this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he ends up working out well LA will destroy everyone. I don't know how you defend Keane, Gio, Zardes, Gerrard, let alone their next tier of players.
    TAM is 500k for 5 years, which means next year Gonzalez' salary won't fall under allocation and they won't be roster compliant. One DP has to go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    TAM is 500k for 5 years, which means next year Gonzalez' salary won't fall under allocation and they won't be roster compliant. One DP has to go.
    If you assume that MLS doesn't change the rules by then.

If LA wins everything, then maybe the league keeps the status quo and they dump a DP (Gonzalez probably). However, if LA do not win any silverware this year with their stacked team then I expect a 4th DP rule change next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been cirulating that Gerrard is only going to play this year. I'll bet you now LA has thought enough moves ahead to know what they're going to do. Our problem is we only think of our move when forced to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess if you view MLSE as a bottomless pit of money this is all pretty irrelevant. I mean Man U paid ungodly money for Bebe and he can't even be considered a footballer. I'm glad we didn't pay Gilberto down at least. That would have been the worst outcome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been circulating that Gerrard is only going to play this year. I'll bet you now LA has thought enough moves ahead to know what they're going to do. Our problem is we only think of our move when forced to do it.
    Trying to think of any one move made since Nelsen left that was not thinking a few moves ahead. Most players are here, in theory, for the next 4 years. Emphasis on attitude etc. Now, some of them will end up being not good enough - that's what happens.

I get you don't like Bez but if ur suggesting this team thinks just short term, that's no longer true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess if you view MLSE as a bottomless pit of money this is all pretty irrelevant. I mean Man U paid ungodly money for Bebe and he can't even be considered a footballer. I'm glad we didn't pay Gilberto down at least. That would have been the worst outcome.
    Meh, you roll the dice with young SA players. They never come cheap and if they do then you usually get hooked for a DP tag due to the transfer fee. This is the type of thing that happens when you hit that market. You really never know what you will get unless you pay huge for an established player. Just as many peter out as fill in good spots on squads.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to think of any one move made since Nelsen left that was not thinking a few moves ahead. Most players are here, in theory, for the next 4 years. Emphasis on attitude etc. Now, some of them will end up being not good enough - that's what happens.

I get you don't like Bez but if ur suggesting this team thinks just short term, that's no longer true.
    If that were true then we would have jumped at using the TAM on him and figured out how to manage the next 4 years when the times comes. That was the old way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the one that just happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the one that just happened.
    a move that was unexpectedly forced on us, where we had two choices and we made the right one. What's the issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Leiweke and Nelsen were primarily responsible for acquiring Gilberto in the first place, so Bez is essentially cleaning up the mess. If Gilberto had acted like a professional and been productive during his loan stint, this situation would have played out much more favorably for us, but such is life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    a move that was unexpectedly forced on us, where we had two choices and we made the right one. What's the issue?
    This is hardly unexpected. In fact it is the second time it has happened in two years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we keep this thread for in-bound transfers? We have a painfully long Gilberto thread already

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...read%29/page49

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been cirulating that Gerrard is only going to play this year. I'll bet you now LA has thought enough moves ahead to know what they're going to do. Our problem is we only think of our move when forced to do it.
    Yeah no, Gerrard is going to be here next year (baring a major injury).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is hardly unexpected. In fact it is the second time it has happened in two years.
    It was unexpected that we'd have our hand forced because Vasco terminated his loan. That was not foreseeable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah no, Gerrard is going to be here next year (baring a major injury).
    come January Gonzalez will be in Europe or Keane will have retired. Gerrard's playing until the end of next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was unexpected that we'd have our hand forced because Vasco terminated his loan. That was not foreseeable.
    Totally foreseeable. They dumped him because he wasn't scoring. Shocker!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally foreseeable. They dumped him because he wasn't scoring. Shocker!

they dumped him because he hit somoene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they dumped him because he hit somoene.
    He hasn't scored in Serie A. You think they care about anything else?

(Sorry, will stop posting here).
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-27-2015 at 11:03 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He hasn't scored in Serie A. You think they care about anything else?
    Without breaking the morality clause, he's still in Brazil.

Ur really invested in Bez looking bad in this. If there is a move to call him out on, its Robbie Finley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without breaking the morality clause, he's still in Brazil.

Ur really invested in Bez looking bad in this. If there is a move to call him out on, its Robbie Finley.
    I still can't see how paying $3 million for a player who didn't pan out and was literally given away shouldn't be worn by the GM. That's all.
    Last edited by Canary10; 07-27-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't see how paying $3 million for a player who didn't pan out and was literally given away shouldn't be worn by the GM. That's all.
    Bez loaned him out to try and get his stock back up so we could sell him in the future. The plan was not for Gilberto to come back and have him be given away, obviously.

also I don't think our owners could really give a shit about 3 million. we were paying his salary a month ago. now we're not. good business in that sense even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez loaned him out to try and get his stock back up so we could sell him in the future. The plan was not for Gilberto to come back and have him be given away, obviously.

also I don't think our owners could really give a shit about 3 million. we were paying his salary a month ago. now we're not. good business in that sense even.
    Don't often see people celebrating our corporate leaders who lost a lot of money but not as much as they could have as being good in business. But whatever. Like I said above if you view our team as bottomless money than maybe this doesn't look so bad. But I think it makes us look like clowns.