Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It was embarrassing. I looked at the reaction on BigSoccer, and everyone was mocking it. I don't know what Kelly was thinking.

TFC was probably the vanguard of what is colloquially called "MLS 2.0", but all of that bullshit about saving the league was completely beyond the pale.
    Yeah... I dunno. I sort of agree with him. I actually followed MLS before Toronto, starting in about 2002. It was tame and aimed at parents and kids; they've changed their entire marketing approach because of the "firm" style fan support, and Seattle came to Toronto to learn from TFC before launching.

Additionally, Seattle and Portland were both in USL and drew flies; like, 4,500 per game if they were lucky. Two teams had been retracted, franchise fees were only $10M....

So how is he wrong, exactly? The league was losing money hand over fist until Toronto; now its franchises ARE its value. No Toronto, no Seattle. No seattle, no massive ramping up of values.

It's maybe hyperbolic to say the league would have failed, but it sure wasn't succeeding, despite what delusional fans in other cities might say.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-11-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of off topic, though.

2-1 Toronto, goals from Osorio and Altidore.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supporter culture was around before TFC (see DCU) but TFC was the first team which gained the critical mass demographic shift that has has informed most of soccer supporter culture in North American in the last 8 years.

That this came along as the same time as the rise of social media and reddit helped.

Kelly can't say that and get eyeballs so in comes the hyperbole.

2-2 - I think we play better on a cruddy pitch then Columbus but we are travelling way more then them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Supporter culture was around before TFC (see DCU) but TFC was the first team which gained the critical mass demographic shift that has has informed most of soccer supporter culture in North American in the last 8 years.

That this came along as the same time as the rise of social media and reddit helped.

2-2 - I think we play better on a cruddy pitch then Columbus but we are travelling way more then them.
    Not sure if the cruddy pitch still helps us. In the past, we didn't have guys who could find passing lanes. Maybe it'll slow down Higuain a little too, though.

The Crew are underrated as a team. A lot of their success last year seemed to come down to whether Tony Tchani and Will Trapp showed up. On paper we should beat them, but on paper we should beat pretty much anyone; our midfield is bonkers strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a shock loss for Columbus last week, Houston's GK had quite a workout. I don't think the defense will be able to keep up initially but I can see Columbus taking their foot off the gas after that. 2-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 goal or more margin of victory for TFC.

I can't watch the game due to family stuff so I'm expecting an epic win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Agreed.

I don't know if TFC saved the league per say, but without that shift from soccer mom to supporter culture which the club accidentally stumbled on ... Things as they are today do not exist.

DCU is the original MLS supporter model, but TFC is the first to use it as a business model and market a authentic type game experience with success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio's not going to get the amount of space he had in Vancouver. They play with a double pivot with Tchani and Trapp so it'll be interesting to see where he operates. Most likely he'll drift out to the left I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the way the Krew possess the ball this is going to be a difficult game. As Vanney said today "they play in between our lines". Remember what happened against Vancouver when we played a high back line to try and close down that in between space. So because we can't play with a high back line that means Cheyrou and Bradley must stay right on top of our back four. This will let the CBs play a bit deeper and a bit wider. Cheyrou and Bradley are gonna get run off their feet and i suspect one of them will have to be subbed. if this is the case the good news is this strategy plays right into the area patrolled by our most talented players. I'm hoping Altidore can do some hold up work up top while Oso , Gio and Findley look to play off him. I think 1-1 would be a great result. (Higuain for them and TFC getting something from a set piece).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus Crew SC vs. Toronto FC
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30pm EDT, TSN2, MLS Live)
    REF: DAVE GANTAR
    AR1: James Conlee
    AR2: Danny Thornberry
    4TH: Sorin Stoica

Not Toledo! \o/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Platts View Post
    With the way the Krew possess the ball this is going to be a difficult game. As Vanney said today "they play in between our lines". Remember what happened against Vancouver when we played a high back line to try and close down that in between space. So because we can't play with a high back line that means Cheyrou and Bradley must stay right on top of our back four. This will let the CBs play a bit deeper and a bit wider. Cheyrou and Bradley are gonna get run off their feet and i suspect one of them will have to be subbed. if this is the case the good news is this strategy plays right into the area patrolled by our most talented players. I'm hoping Altidore can do some hold up work up top while Oso , Gio and Findley look to play off him. I think 1-1 would be a great result. (Higuain for them and TFC getting something from a set piece).
    Well either two mids stay anchored or marking has to be tighter. With Morales dropping so deep there really wasn't anyone playing in that space against van. This will be a new challenge for sure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the first time since Gantar boned us in Chicago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    Is this the first time since Gantar boned us in Chicago?
    Most definitely!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's see if D.Gantar has any boner stamina...at his age, I think not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see if Vanney mixes up the 18 - ie Lovitz, Bloom, possibly Dike - travel like they are having will catch up to even highly trained athletes and it would make sense to rotate early to prevent that. As for the game, why are people so cautious? Nelsen's TFC beat them three times last season with far less midfield talent than this team has. 3-1 TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    time to excute keg in a drum!
    I like where your head is at

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-1 Colombus Giovinco gives us the lead off a free kick, but ultimately a lack of cohesion at the back hurts us a and Higuain strikes twice, once off a PK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah... I dunno. I sort of agree with him. I actually followed MLS before Toronto, starting in about 2002. It was tame and aimed at parents and kids; they've changed their entire marketing approach because of the "firm" style fan support, and Seattle came to Toronto to learn from TFC before launching.

Additionally, Seattle and Portland were both in USL and drew flies; like, 4,500 per game if they were lucky. Two teams had been retracted, franchise fees were only $10M....

So how is he wrong, exactly? The league was losing money hand over fist until Toronto; now its franchises ARE its value. No Toronto, no Seattle. No seattle, no massive ramping up of values.

It's maybe hyperbolic to say the league would have failed, but it sure wasn't succeeding, despite what delusional fans in other cities might say.

Garber has said as much himself back in 2010: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/10...-are-mls-model

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I dont hide my love for Kelly. I almost always agree with him. This too.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Garber has said as much himself back in 2010: http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2010/10...-are-mls-model
    Which is not much different from what Cathall Kelley said.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Which is not much different from what Cathall Kelley said.

Exactly. This franchise opened eyes and changed the league's marketing strategy and gave it a life line for investment.

I'd also add that we put franchises in Montreal and Vancouver and possibly even Ottawa on the radar for expansion.
    Last edited by Alonso; 03-11-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus Crew v Toronto FC
    Columbus Crew Stadium (7:30pm EDT)
    REF: DAVE GANTAR
    AR1: James Conlee
    AR2: Danny Thornberry
    4TH: Sorin Stoica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Vanney mixes up the 18 - ie Lovitz, Bloom, possibly Dike - travel like they are having will catch up to even highly trained athletes and it would make sense to rotate early to prevent that. As for the game, why are people so cautious? Nelsen's TFC beat them three times last season with far less midfield talent than this team has. 3-1 TFC.
    Platts
    Crew have improved in the off season, too, with several key pieces including strengthening the backline with the former Middleborough dude who's name has slipped my aging brain. They also got an impressive winger from, I think, Ghana, a winger from the Iceland national team.

On paper we should beat them.

I like Warner coming in for the midfielder holders; he really looked more like the player last game that we were told he was. Quick footwork to hold onto the ball, great delivery of a couple of passes, closed down lanes well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen too much on training, so here goes a wild guess:

--------------------Bendik-----------------
    --Creavalle--Caldwell--Perquis--Morrow--
    -------Bradley----------Cheyrou--------
    -Findley------Giovinco--------Osorio---
    -----------Altidore-----------------------

Bench: Konopka, Bloom, Hagglund, Warner, Lovitz, Moore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Haven't seen too much on training, so here goes a wild guess:

--------------------Bendik-----------------
    --Creavalle--Caldwell--Perquis--Morrow--
    -------Bradley----------Cheyrou--------
    -Findley------Giovinco--------Osorio---
    -----------Altidore-----------------------

Bench: Konopka, Bloom, Hagglund, Warner, Lovitz, Moore
    I'm not sure you'll ever see Jozy at the top of a 433, just because they're trying to play to his strength, which is receiving the ball at his feet. I think we'll see the same flat 433 we finished with last week.

If they change anything it might be to have a third two-way midfielder on in the shape of Warner rather than Osorio; but he basically started the move last week that led to the first goal and held off Tiebert really well, so I think it'll be same lineup.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt we'll see a big difference in formation from last Saturday. I could see maybe Bloom or Hagglund starting. Vanney might forgo the diamond like what Jloome suggested above.

-------Findley --- Giovinco --- Altidore------

--------Cheyrou --- Bradley --- Osorio------

Morrow --- Perquis --- Caldwell --- Creavalle

-------------------Bendik------------------------

Fuck, I'm usually bad at these, but I'm gonna lock that in as my best guess.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Yeah, exactly. I'll wait until about Thursday to see what the forecast says before I start planning what to wear for the bus trip.
    Everyone here is looking at daytime temp..... Remember gametime is 7:30....s/b approx 4degrees hopefully no rain at game time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    30-40 mm of rain on friday in columbus... field likely wont be good.
    I'm remembering last trip when vehicles were getting stuck in the parking 'field' mud......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I doubt we'll see a big difference in formation from last Saturday. I could see maybe Bloom or Hagglund starting. Vanney might forgo the diamond like what Jloome suggested above.

-------Findley --- Giovinco --- Altidore------

--------Cheyrou --- Bradley --- Osorio------

Fuck, I'm usually bad at these, but I'm gonna lock that in as my best guess.
    Cash, I agree the players will stay the same but I think it will be 4-2-3-1- not 4-3-3....

-------------------Altidore-----------------

-------Osorio --- Giovinco --- Findley------

-------------Cheyrou --- Bradley -----------

Last edited by Bluenose13; 03-11-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect we may try the high line again with Creavalle told to stay back unless he knows he can make the run. (which is apparently (from Vanney) what the disconnect was last week)

That way you can crowd the midfield more.

Either that or something closer to what we say second half last week. I suspect as long as everyone is healthy and can handle the weather and pitch it'll be the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Cash, I agree the players will stay the same but I think it will be 4-2-3-1- not 4-3-3....

-------------------Altidore-----------------

-------Osorio --- Giovinco --- Findley------

-------------Cheyrou --- Bradley -----------

I just gotta say, I'm in love with this lineup

that is all