Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manneh will be one of the top 5 players in the league if he's here in 3 years. I doubt he'll wait that long to go to Europe though. He's a much smarter and composed in front of goal than most players his age, not to mention his athleticism. Doyle said he could be Fabian Castillo and steroids this year. I don't think he's wrong.

also, seeing how good that 2013 draft was and how badly we fucked it up considering our position starting that day (picks #1 and #3 if IIRC) really puts a dent in Payne's legacy and the many who thought we should have stuck with him. He identified Laba and Urruti, good for him. But what he came out of that draft with is a travesty.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 03-08-2015 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way to early in the season to compare teams and to tell if our team is any good.

Anyways tho just briefly on yesterdays game as a whole, I was not impressed with TFC in the first half, I think we were hanging on for dear life and were lucky to get out of it not down 2 or 3 goals. 2nd half was better, did we deserve to win 3-1? I don't know, the key point is we scored when we needed and capitalized on our chances. We leave with the 3 points to start the season!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm happy with the win, but I've been burned too many times to think they're going to make the playoffs. I'm waiting to see what position they're in by mid-august before having any hopeful feelings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    It was a tense opening 30 minutes but once Vanney made some adjustments in the back TFC took over I was impressed with the play of our 3 dps and Kudos goes to indlay with his goal.
    BTW on the MLS Live with today it was mentioned how substantial our new defensively coach is that joined us from Red bulls. I believe he is deserving of some of the credit for our defensively realignment..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Giovinco gave the ball away in their half and then stood there looking at Montreal player as he played the long ball without challenging. Perquis and Caldwell weren't in line to play offside, they scored.
    should you be commentating on a goal u didn't see fully.
    I don't think he cold rewind like you obviously. And Henry would have caught him, end of. Caldwell is showing his slower reaction and speed but hopefully will not get caught in that high of a line without communicating to his RB. In truth Crevaille was just as guilty, and can too easily be faked then beaten. Caldwell and his RB simply need to adjust to each other. Anyway the new boss of the D is Perquis, who simply is cooking to grips with the talents of his new D, and looks like he won't except second best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    This is not what I saw.

Here's what actually happened. In the first half, we set up with a narrow midfield but a high pressing backline. That's suicidal against a team with Vancouver's speed, because it assumes your fullback is going to be there to cover anyone trying to use width to break the trap. Effectively, when we were in their end, we wound up looking like this (ball on the right side):

-------Altidore-----Gio-----Findley--------
    -----------Cheyrou----Osorio
    ----------------Bradley------Creavalle
    ---Morrow---Perquis--Caldwell-----------

Now, can everyone see where the big hole is in our defense? That big spot behind Creavalle where Manneh, the third-fastest player in MLS with near Olympic speed, was running all first half?

This was purely a tactical issue. There is no way either Caldwell OR Perquis (who is also not that fast) could have covered him.

It was tactically naive. You can't play a diamond and high pressing line with an overlapping fullback.
    Excellent post. Really does raise the issue of what Vanney was thinking with this strategy given Vancouvers speed was known before the game. It's a bit like last year - in the games he coached, we almost always went behind early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Vanney was wrong in letting the players have a try to stay high and control the game to begin with. That's his stated vision for the club and he should let the obvious starting 11 give it a try in the first half of the first game of the season. it didn't work out because they were playing a team adept at breaking high lines and Vanney adjusted accordingly. I'd rather him do that than completely change his starting tactics game to game depending on the opponent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it is official now, the games this weekend all went TFC's way and we are in first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my... we are the only team this week to get a positive Road Goal Differential. That is kinda neat.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-08-2015 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Oh my... we are the only team this week to get a positive Road Goal Differential. That is kinda neat.
    There was only 5 road goals scored, we had 3 of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

51minutes in, TFC at the top of their box, findlay gets the ball, osario wide open on the right, what does he do? he blasts it right into the defender.

Then creaville could have tapped it over to the right, again to wide open osario.

Mental errors like this will hopefully be looked at in team meetings, thats why im not sold on findley yet. creaville, I'll give time to adjust to a new position

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Hahaha

That pic is PRICELESS!!!!
    Oh man, that is too much!!!!!!

We can all say we've been there, done that. In my case Terry Henry taking a corner in front of 112.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Excellent post. Really does raise the issue of what Vanney was thinking with this strategy given Vancouvers speed was known before the game. It's a bit like last year - in the games he coached, we almost always went behind early.
    Also highlights how he adjusted tactically and we went on to win by two.

You really need to get over your belief that he's incompetent. The evidence isn't there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    He probably thought that they could cut off service to Vancouver's forwards by pressing them high. When the midfielders and forwards couldn't do that, he adjusted his tactics and won the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really need to get over your belief that he's incompetent. The evidence isn't there.
    This was one of the biggest positives of the night for me. Vanney is the big unknown for me this season. While a sample size of one game is too small to infer anything from, seeing him make tactical adjustments that saw us go from hanging on to winning the game comfortably was a massive positive. That is something few, if any of our managers have done in the past.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    51minutes in, TFC at the top of their box, findlay gets the ball, osario wide open on the right, what does he do? he blasts it right into the defender.

Then creaville could have tapped it over to the right, again to wide open osario.

Mental errors like this will hopefully be looked at in team meetings, thats why im not sold on findley yet. creaville, I'll give time to adjust to a new position
    It's also a lot easier to see those plays on TV than when you're on the pitch with the ball at your feet, especially when you're still getting to know the tendencies of your new teammates. I'd expect these things to improve as the players get to know each other, but yes, they should be mentioned in team meetings, as well.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has the personality of wet saw dust. But we've had a lot of guys with a lot of personality and they've all been shit so doing something new might be the ticket.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Respect to the woman with the finger. If she works for VCWC, and by her uniform and position, I suspect she does, I hope they give her a raise.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not what I saw.

Here's what actually happened. In the first half, we set up with a narrow midfield but a high pressing backline. That's suicidal against a team with Vancouver's speed, because it assumes your fullback is going to be there to cover anyone trying to use width to break the trap. Effectively, when we were in their end, we wound up looking like this (ball on the right side):

-------Altidore-----Gio-----Findley--------
    -----------Cheyrou----Osorio
    ----------------Bradley------Creavalle
    ---Morrow---Perquis--Caldwell-----------

Now, can everyone see where the big hole is in our defense? That big spot behind Creavalle where Manneh, the third-fastest player in MLS with near Olympic speed, was running all first half?

This was purely a tactical issue. There is no way either Caldwell OR Perquis (who is also not that fast) could have covered him.

It was tactically naive. You can't play a diamond and high pressing line with an overlapping fullback.

Excellent post combo. A complete game overview.

And we all know this doesn't win the season, it's just a good start.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Excellent post combo. A complete game overview.

And we all know this doesn't win the season, it's just a good start.
    Plus, the whole league looks tougher. Even when teams aren't that cohesive, like Orlando and NYCFC last night, they both showed lots of weapons of the type that used to be uncommon in the league. The only teams right now that look sluggish are Chicago, San Jose and Colorado. Everyone else is beginning to look the part of MLS 3.0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post
    That pic is PRICELESS!!!!
    Oh man, that is too much!!!!!!

We can all say we've been there, done that. In my case Terry Henry taking a corner in front of 112.
    My new desktop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redisthenewblk View Post
    Osorio was very effective. As other have also mentioned, his work outsmarting Teibert made the first goal possible. One big thing I've noticed is that his improved fitness has really helped him. I think he's also picked up a few pounds of muscle. Last season he was constantly pushed off the ball. In this game he was able to stand his ground.
    Bendik looked more fit to me as well. I wonder if they whipped all these guys into shape in the off-season/pre-season.

That will help our second half performances as well, and I always wondered if that was a huge part of the old tradition of giving up big goals in the final 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember the first game of last season and despite the win and being super pumped I remember the quality was poor. This was the best game I have ever seen them play. Good passes (yes the odd gaf) good plays and great possession in the second half. Credit to Vanney, he out coached Robinson. Vancouver is such an exciting team as well, they will finish top 4 in the West. Seattle, Galaxy Dallas, Vancouver. I really was happy with Giovinco and Altidore. They MIGHT be the best tandem up front in the league by seasons end. Only duo's better because they have done it over a full season Martins/Dempsey - Keane/Zardes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney might not be the most charismatic guy, but he is the most articulate manager we've ever had, and he is clearly a student of the game based on his tactical knowledge. The only question is whether or not those attributes will translate to him being an effective leader. Time will tell.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Vanney might not be the most charismatic guy, but he is the most articulate manager we've ever had, and he is clearly a student of the game based on his tactical knowledge. The only question is whether or not those attributes will translate to him being an effective leader. Time will tell.
    I kind of picture him like a poker player, never showing his real emotions, but with a tactical plan to win that adjusts to his opponents.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I kind of picture him like a poker player, never showing his real emotions, but with a tactical plan to win that adjusts to his opponents.
    I think of him as Coach Dad. With his sweaters that get billowy around the waist and his pleated pants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    This was the best game I have ever seen them play.
    No. This one was.

"There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No. This one was.

Maybe comes to league games, but half of V-Cup games and CCL games during Winter era will be best games ever!

This season opener (will 2nd half) was very good game and enjoy to watch, but not best we ever played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No. This one was.

Great memories. I love the Spanish commentator, LOL.