Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a match. I dont recall seeing TFC control a good time like that for 45 straight minutes.. ever. EVER.

Some of my favorite parts of this match

+ I aboslutely love the 4-3-3 that we appeared to be using in the second half.
    + Cheyrou, perfect weight on some many wonderful through balls, needs to be wary of MLS speed though
    + Solid play by Bendik after the goal.
    + Bradley, he was everywhere and especially in the second half, always back helping the defenders and calmly getting us back into our rhythm.
    + Jozy + Giovinvo + Findley, if we can get these guys combining we've got so much attacking threat. Even moore coming in as a sub.

Onto Columbus!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bendik kept us in the game early for sure.

Bringing altidore in is looking like a bang up decision so far. Cheyrou looked like he was getting tired and giving balls away in dangerous areas pretty frequently. He's class though and I think he'll adjust.

A huge fist pump for Vanney. Robbo seemed pretty cocky before this game. Vanney clearly outcoached him in this game and stayed cool as a cucumber while doing it.

Can't wait to read all the bellyaching from Vancouver fans about ref favouring us for fouls. Koffie was out of control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Don't you wish Jason De Vos could be just a little bit happier a goal has been scored? I know he made a career out of trying to prevent them, but, God, he's just a miserable bastard when it comes to commentating about play after a goal has gone in. Sure, mistakes get made, especially at this level. But often times, a goal gets scored because someone has done something positive and skillful and that deserves to be celebrated, not moaned about.

Celebrate the positive, Jason, quit sounding so bitchy about what went wrong.

This is my biggest gripe with De Vos.

I can't stand listening to his commentary, it's overly negative. No fun to be had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Don't you wish Jason De Vos could be just a little bit happier a goal has been scored? I know he made a career out of trying to prevent them, but, God, he's just a miserable bastard when it comes to commentating about play after a goal has gone in. Sure, mistakes get made, especially at this level. But often times, a goal gets scored because someone has done something positive and skillful and that deserves to be celebrated, not moaned about.

Celebrate the positive, Jason, quit sounding so bitchy about what went wrong.
    I actually met him by chance last week when I was out for a few pints, he actually gets on in real life likes he does when commentating ie over analysising everything to the max. I just went up to him to say a quick hello, and he was talking for ages about tactics etc. Nice guy and all but he is very deep when talking football. He's like a Canadian Jimmy Hill for any older Brits or Irish folk out there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last comment. Guys... we were on the ROAD and we CONTROLLED THE GAME. Mind blown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny on the Altidore penalty: Ka tried to play Altidore like an average MLS target man and got burned. There was no way he was getting in front of Jozy once he was wrong side of him and was turned. An average player he might have got away with it and muscled his way back into the tackle, but this one he just looked foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are getting AZ Jozy folks.

Stand back and watch the goals flow.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I actually met him by chance last week when I was out for a few pints, he actually gets on in real life likes he does when commentating ie over analysising everything to the max. I just went up to him to say a quick hello, and he was talking for ages about tactics etc. Nice guy and all but he is very deep when talking football. He's like a Canadian Jimmy Hill for any older Brits or Irish folk out there
    Aw, Jings. Tha's nawt good. I have fond memories of listening to Scotland's Tartan Army at the '82 and '86 World Cups merrily singing about the TV analyst they deplored:

"We hate Jimmy Hill, he's a poof, he's a poof."

Never want to see a Canadian icon-in-the-making being lined up for that kind of abuse. But, hey, it's up to Jason to change his tune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love sticking it to the shitcaps.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is fully capable of being a dominant striker in this league. He has all the physical tools and a deft touch around goal. I know I was in the minority at the time, but I was thrilled when the Altidore-Defoe swap was announced. He is young, more durable, and better suited to the MLS style of play.

Today's debut should really do wonders for his confidence moving forward.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I would have easily been happy with a draw prior to this game - but 3 points? Sure! Why the heck not?

Given we have Chicago (who looked like absolute shyte last night) and Philly (who couldn't beat Colorado with a man advantage for around 20 mins. or so) that SHOULD be at least 9 points now (not counting chickens you understand, just hopeful) that we should garner on this roadtrip. Not too shabby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Well, I'm pleasantly surprised. I would have easily been happy with a draw prior to this game - but 3 points? Sure! Why the heck not?

Given we have Chicago (who looked like absolute shyte last night) and Philly (who couldn't beat Colorado with a man advantage for around 20 mins. or so) that SHOULD be at least 9 points now (not counting chickens you understand, just hopeful) that we should garner on this roadtrip. Not too shabby.

same here, I'd have taken a draw pre game, actually after going 1 done I'd still have taken one. Fair play to the lads, still work to be down but looking good

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redisthenewblk View Post

A huge fist pump for Vanney. Robbo seemed pretty cocky before this game. Vanney clearly outcoached him in this game and stayed cool as a cucumber while doing it.
    I like Robbo, and I wish this organization had worked somehow to keep him on in a coaching capacity. But yes, he was cocky and smug heading into this match (going as far as to call us "Moneybags FC") so I'm glad we made him EAT IT tonight.

Having said that, we don't play Van City again this season, so I wish Vancouver well. They're going to be an exciting team to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I like Robbo, and I wish this organization had worked somehow to keep him on in a coaching capacity. But yes, he was cocky and smug heading into this match (going as far as to call us "Moneybags FC") so I'm glad we made him EAT IT tonight.

Having said that, we don't play Van City again this season, so I wish Vancouver well. They're going to be an exciting team to watch.
    maybe V Cup
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    maybe V Cup
    Well, yes, maybe that...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratings

Bendik: 6.5
    Creavalle: 5
    Caldwell: 5.5
    Perquis: 7
    Morrow: 7
    Bradley: 6
    Cheyrou: 6
    Osorio: 6.5
    Giovinco: 6.5
    Findley: 6
    Altidore: 7.5

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dig it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game was a good example of the improving quality of MLS. As a league it's still a long way to go but overall a pretty entertaining game with some decent skill and play. Also, I like how the rivalry is building up. Good signs for the game in Canada. Will be fun to play each other in the final if we both make it.

I liked how we controlled the game in the second half. Giovinco looks like he is the real deal. I noticed a few times where he drew two defenders on him while still maintaining possession. Combine that with his ability to thread a killer through ball like he did on the Altidore goal and he's going to be a very dangerous player. Our opponents won't be able to double team both him and Altidore simultaneously.

Altidore is a beast in how he outmuscles players like he did many times today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm disappointed Vancouver plays a really icky style I don't like high foul football. The issue Robbo had was that he had one trick... speed... he expected Vanney to play down the middle and tried to capitalize on the lack of speed.. Vanney was playing high... we got caught.. much less than I thought.

We got very luck with season opener form from Vancouver.

The last goal on the PK really should not have happened Warner took the ball out of the touch and the lines man didn't catch it.

Seba/Gio (dunno what to call him really) did a good job.. he and Jozy are going to link up really well. Over all I think we have a decent group they just need to link up.

I will say this.. Vanney changed tactics.. I'm sorry under Nelsen we would have played exactly the same from beginning to end for the most part and would have lost that game. Vanney has a ways to go.. but I like what I'm seeing... I won't make judgement for at least 5 games... see how they do as they gel a bit and the Road starts getting to them.... Vancouver played pretty badly today all things being equal.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Ratings

Bendik: 6.5
    Creavalle: 5
    Caldwell: 5.5
    Perquis: 7
    Morrow: 7
    Bradley: 6
    Cheyrou: 6
    Osorio: 6.5
    Giovinco: 6.5
    Findley: 6
    Altidore: 7.5
    The tradition continues!

But you're way strict, dude!

I'd give Jozy an 8, Cheyrou a 7, Bradley a 6.5, Caldwell a 6, Creavalle a 6, Findley a 7, Gio a 7, Bendik a 7, Perquis a 7, Osorio a 7.

Didn't think we had anyone subpar, and a 6 is an average performance for most 10-pt-system raters. I know Goff is way more strict.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Is this really life. Perquis is a bloody big deal.
    Perquis is the sleeper deal of Tfc, love how he takes control on the field, Caldwell looks a bit bewildered. Unlike Lumpy I wish Henry was here to learn from Perquis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The last goal on the PK really should not have happened Warner took the ball out of the touch and the lines man didn't catch it.
    Have another look, he actually did very well to keep it in. Had more than half the ball out with the last touch but managed to not let all of it across the line. It was quite well done.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Love him and Cheyrou... what a difference.
    This......those two are the class that we brought in that no one was talking about. I felt it they could hold up they would be a huge gain on experience, and Vanney said as much in a short talk with him. But now everyone will be attacking Caldwell's side.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    He clearly thinks highly of Vanney's tactics.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The tradition continues!

But you're way strict, dude!

I'd give Jozy an 8, Cheyrou a 7, Bradley a 6.5, Caldwell a 6, Creavalle a 6, Findley a 7, Gio a 7, Bendik a 7, Perquis a 7, Osorio a 7.

Didn't think we had anyone subpar, and a 6 is an average performance for most 10-pt-system raters. I know Goff is way more strict.
    despite the win, 1st half was really bad. though a lot of that was on Vanney's poor tactics in 1st half

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston, with just under 40% possession, steals a 1-0 win from Columbus. Good for us, and we play Columbus next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Have another look, he actually did very well to keep it in. Had more than half the ball out with the last touch but managed to not let all of it across the line. It was quite well done.
    It's close.. when you are looking down at an angle like that.. I think he was out.. but that is the game, what I think doesn't matter. I might be more concerned if it changed the points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like it if we got rid of Caldwell and used all that money on a CB with some recovery speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    I'd like it if we got rid of Caldwell and used all that money on a CB with some recovery speed.
    caldwell did well tonight