Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not so sure. They had enough opportunities to easily put TFC 2-0 in the hole through 20 minutes. They just have young / new players that squandered changes or are typically inconsistent.

I prefer the narrative that (for once) we are getting what we paid for and high-priced talent was the difference on the day.
    don't forget the Giovinco chance he missed right before they scored.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not sure about out-coached. TFC had better finishing on the day and clearly Giovinco was one of a kind.

Rivero and Manneh wasted a few great chances that were similar to what TFC players finished. Findley trips over his own feet and Rivero finishes that goal... everything we say flip-flops.

Full credit to TFC but it was a competitive match. And props to Findley and Altidore for not missing a thing.

Our tactics were crud in the first half.

Vanney got Michael Bradley and Cheyrou to adjust. Think about that for a second. The two most experienced players on this team were told to not play like they were. Robinson didn't adjust.

I call that out coaching.

AND, I call that good coaching.

We'll have to see how Vanney does moving forward, but the idea that Vanney is a crap coach should stop. He did good this week. Lets see how he does in the next few games though. Its a bit easier to win the first game. When teams see how you play, they adjust. That's the sign of a good coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manneh was running over our defense rough shod in the first half.

He didn't get a single sniff in the second half.

That's coaching adjustments right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney showed more tactical flexibility in one match than Nelsen showed in 1.5 seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not forget Bendik and a few good point blank saves. Some issues with distribution but he kept them in there in the early going.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Let's not forget Bendik and a few good point blank saves. Some issues with distribution but he kept them in there in the early going.

Dom
    Well said. Calling all Bendik haters, once again, he kept us in the game.

I'll give a shout to Warner as well. Solid off the bench, and a nice ball to Altidore leading to the PK. Have always liked the trade for him went we sent Issey the other way regardless of the criticism he gets. Not a starter, but he can play a role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Vanney showed more tactical flexibility in one match than Nelsen showed in 1.5 seasons.
    Here! Here!

Nelson wouldn't have made any subs either. Vanney puts Warner in to shore up the right side and that extra energy generated the 3rd goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post

Dom

The first goal went through his legs, but yeah he played well over all.

He didn't have a perfect game though....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Is Cheyrou smooth or what? Just glides with the ball in traffic. Very poised and a very pleasant surprise.

Just loved seeing Vancouver getting all bitchy and high strung as the game wound down.

And don't start on about last year beginning with a similar feel-good start. This. Is. This. Year. I don't do that British bullshit thing about past form. Drives me nuts when English announcers go on about what some team did over the years gone by. All that matter is this group we're watching and what they're doing right effing now.

So far, it's a hell of a group doing some very good things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen's team didn't have the tools to break down teams. That first goal from Altidore would have never happened under Nelsen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

I know and true he wasn't perfect, nobody was. But he did make 3-4 important saves to keep them in early.

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Vanney got Michael Bradley and Cheyrou to adjust. Think about that for a second. The two most experienced players on this team were told to not play like they were. Robinson didn't adjust.

We'll have to see how Vanney does moving forward, but the idea that Vanney is a crap coach should stop. He did good this week. Lets see how he does in the next few games though. Its a bit easier to win the first game. When teams see how you play, they adjust. That's the sign of a good coach.
    Full credit to Vanney for sure. On balance start to finish I'd say it was even enough tactics wise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I like Robbo as a manager, but Robbo's response to Vanney in 2nd half was throw on some more speedsters against bunkering TFC defence and predictably the Caps subs did dick all. Better choice might have been Mezquida than Mattocks or Hurtado. Koffie was also a bit of a disaster
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Nelsen's team didn't have the tools to break down teams. That first goal from Altidore would have never happened under Nelsen.
    If this was Nelsen's team that never would have happened because our movement off the ball was always junk and we valued hustle over all else. The man had the chance to build a team in his vision and what he did was the equivalent of putting $500k in spare parts on a honda civic as opposed to just going out and buying a ferrari. We were a top payroll team playing like a relegation battler because that's all he knew.

And don't even get me started on that second goal. Justin Morrow would have been inside his own 18 yard box because Ryan Nelsen would rather plant his fullback deep in his own end rather than take the slightest chance someone gets in behind us on the counter attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very entertaining game. Really enjoyed the entire match. With our midfield we were really able to move the ball and create some opportunities. Still some things to work on but overall I like what we have on the field and depth on the bench. I know a lot of people were critical of Caldwell but putting in Haglund or rookie is not the answer. I believe they will slowly move a replacement in for Caldwell over the season, which is why he is not the captain. Very excited about the team and the organization

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerken View Post
    Altidore!..hero of TFC!
    Altidore!...best friend of Michael Bradley,
    Fire in his eyes,
    Iron in his thighs,
    And with the help of 10,
    Extraordinary men,

Scores the mighty...Altidore!
    HaHaHaHa.

Absolutely pissed myself laughing at this. Here's the original score.

Last edited by Wagner; 03-07-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Homophobia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I like Robbo as a manager, but Robbo's response to Vanney in 2nd half was throw on some more speedsters against bunkering TFC defence and predictably the Caps subs did dick all. Better choice might have been Mezquida than Mattocks or Hurtado. Koffie was also a bit of a disaster
    Agreed. Given we were defensively set, putting on your speedsters was useless because they had no space to run into.

Now that being said Koffie is an obvious choice to shore up the midfield. His lack of performance is really down to him not playing well rather than the coach making the wrong choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    HaHaHaHa.

Absolutely pissed myself laughing at this. Here's the original score.

Seba? No, I kid. Right height, but he still has his balls (I'm guessing).
    Last edited by Wagner; 03-07-2015 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Based solely on how Defoe and Bradley looked in game 1 last year, I think we might kill them tomorrow. Adrenaline and all that.

I think Findley and Altidore will score.
    Ensco, you da man. I should have never doubted you. You even called the goal scorers.

We came out sluggish in the first half which I expected, and we were fortunate to be down 1-0 by the time we settled down. However, I thought we took full control of the match after Altidore's equalizer and Vancouver really couldn't muster any sustained possession for the final 60 minutes.

Our new additions were all fantastic today, which is very encouraging. Credit to Vanney for making the necessary adjustments to close this one out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was good to see some of our so called lesser players being involved in setting up our goals, Osario played a big part in 1st goal, and Warner did very well on last goal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Who thought paying Findlay200 k+ was a good idea?
    Just in case it wasn't already called out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    Did you really think he was gunna be here forever?
    I did. I thought he would be here as I thought he'd plateau while with us.

Back when everyone was so giddy about Frei and how he was for sure bound for Europe... I kept saying there were flaws and he was actually a perfect fit for MLS, he wasn't going anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post

honestly if bendik can play like that every game he looks 2x better than he was last season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    From Friday afternoon, pg 3 of this thread.

Looking for some love here.

Props.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you wish Jason De Vos could be just a little bit happier a goal has been scored? I know he made a career out of trying to prevent them, but, God, he's just a miserable bastard when it comes to commentating about play after a goal has gone in. Sure, mistakes get made, especially at this level. But often times, a goal gets scored because someone has done something positive and skillful and that deserves to be celebrated, not moaned about.

Celebrate the positive, Jason, quit sounding so bitchy about what went wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we'll have to change the song we had for Altidore during his round 1 in MLS while with. NY....

new song....

Jozy is a man's name
    Jozy is a man's name
    na na na na
    na na na na

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanO View Post
    Can't disagree with that. Very nice to see. We'll see if what he did today is his only style, and if that gets exploited. Nelson had 1 plan and stuck with it. If Vanney is similar (plan + 1 way to switch things up), it won't be much better than Nelson. Good test for him when we lose our Gold Cup boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game. It would have been alot worse without those few blistering saves by Bendik. A few times I had to stop and go wow.
    Seba and Altidore, these guys got some chemistry eh!? Gio is gonna adjust real fast I believe and everybody already seems highly aware of his
    shot and on the dime speed. Cheyrou looked so amazing out there, I laughed that time he lost the ball in the 32nd minute. Theyre all still learning
    and coming together but hell if this is what they look like day 1, We're in for a treat boys!

Altidore is Beastmode!!!

Last edited by dutch; 03-07-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutch View Post
    Great game. It would have been alot worse without those few blistering saves by Bendik. A few times I had to stop and go wow.
    Seba and Altidore, these guys got some chemistry eh!? Gio is gonna adjust real fast I believe and everybody already seems highly aware of his
    shot and on the dime speed. Cheyrou looked so amazing out there, I laughed that time he lost the ball in the 32nd minute. Theyre all still learning
    and coming together but hell if this is what they look like day 1, We're in for a treat boys!

Altidore is Beastmode!!!
    imagine jozy and akinfenwa up top together the centre halfs would just go home!