Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore on my fantasy team was the best gamble ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yay back to curling so soon

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore was fun to watch today.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solid performance. Very impressed with what I saw. Full marks to Vanney - he adjusted the shape as needed at half and it paid off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    oh yay back to curling so soon
    It brings in the ratings, so we can't complain. At least they didn't cut away early.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe we sucked in the first half and made the proper adjustments in the second half to pull away a victory!

When has that ever happened?!?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Altidore on my fantasy team was the best gamble ever.
    lol. same here
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats you REDS!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I can't believe we sucked in the first half and made the proper adjustments in the second half to pull away a victory!

When has that ever happened?!?
    I remember this one game against Columbus last year, where we did that. It was great.

Aside from that? Never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Altidore was fun to watch today.
    He'll tear this league apart. :-)

Seriously though - impressive display. He will be a handful

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Solid performance. Very impressed with what I saw. Full marks to Vanney - he adjusted the shap as needed at half and it paid off.
    this.

other than Jozy being a baller, Vanney outcoached Robbo. 2nd half adjustments were no suicide high line and pushing fullbacks forward, and Bradley and Cheyrou being more disciplined means less space for Caps attackers to exploit, esp Morales finding gaps for passes and Manneh running at CBs. game slowed down considerably in TFC favour and less pressure on Caldwell (who looked fine in 2nd half) and Perquis to make desperate plays. TFC always does better when Bradley stops trying to do everything and work in context of a disciplined team structure
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow re Alitidore, wasn't previously a fan but he looked good 2nd half.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I will say, is there was some significant rust on a few of our guys, but I suppose that's to be expected from their first full-speed game this season, with a bunch of new guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    lol. same here
    Giovinco's first game? six shots, two on, drew three fouls and set up a goal. Not too shabby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Why is there so much curling on sports networks? Who sits around and watches this on tv? There is no way the number of viewers outnumbers soccer.

curling kills soccer on Cdn tv. only soccer that can compete is World Cup. this tfc match might get max 300k while standard MLS game is below 200k and below 100k if TFC is crap.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...09904-spt.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this.

other than Jozy being a baller, Vanney outcoached Robbo. 2nd half adjustments were no suicide high line and pushing fullbacks forward, and Bradley and Cheyrou being more disciplined means less space for Caps attackers to exploit, esp Morales finding gaps for passes and Manneh running at CBs. game slowed down considerably in TFC favour and less pressure on Caldwell (who looked fine in 2nd half) and Perquis to make desperate plays. TFC always does better when Bradley stops trying to do everything and work in context of a disciplined team structure

So happy about this I'm over the moon.

It's like they're watching our thread live!

Seriously, they didn't park the bus!?! WOW, just great team management so far.... knocking on wood, and fingers crossed that it continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have no words for what just happened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so after a very iffy first half, I'm back on the bandwagon. I'm kidding so no need to troll.....

Nice display in 2nd. TFC picked up their game while Vancouver dropped theirs off a bit but good adjustments by Vanney to get the win.

They're never gonna believe us,
    They're never gonna believe us,
    They're never gonna believe usssssssssssss,
    We're gonna win the league!

Dom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Giovinco's first game? six shots, two on, drew three fouls and set up a goal. Not too shabby.

..... Love it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this.

I'd agree with that, thought Vancouver looked good in 1st half but lifeless in 2nd half

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We wo... woooo..... won?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about out-coached. TFC had better finishing on the day and clearly Giovinco was one of a kind.

Rivero and Manneh wasted a few great chances that were similar to what TFC players finished. Findley trips over his own feet and Rivero finishes that goal... everything we say flip-flops.

Full credit to TFC but it was a competitive match. And props to Findley and Altidore for not missing a thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this.

Robbo gambled with a high tempo first half and it cost him in the 2nd. By halftime, his midfield was spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not sure about out-coached. TFC had better finishing on the day and clearly Giovinco was one of a kind.

Rivero and Manneh wasted a few great chances that were similar to what TFC players finished. Findley trips over his own feet and Rivero finishes that goal... everything we say flip-flops.

Full credit to TFC but it was a competitive match. And props to Findley and Altidore for not missing a thing.
    Altidore was exceptional. Bradley and Cheyrou seemed to figure out their roles in the second half. A lot of this was down to Vancouver mismanaging the game; they were pretty gassed by halftime.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Based solely on how Defoe and Bradley looked in game 1 last year, I think we might kill them tomorrow. Adrenaline and all that.

I think Findley and Altidore will score.
    From Friday afternoon, pg 3 of this thread.

Looking for some love here.

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. I know it's just one game, but this was impressive. Compare this to our 2-1 win over Seattle to start last year, it's night and day.

Started awful, didn't get into the game for 25 minutes. Got extremely lucky that Rivero botched the sitter or it would've been 2-0 and maybe over. Fair enough.

But after that, we looked pretty good. And damn good in the 2nd half. Full credit to Vanney, he adjusted the defensive setup and we pretty much shut the game down. Can't even remember the last time a TFC coach made a tactical change with such drastic positive effect.

Giovinco's touch compared to basically any MLS player is unreal. He is so valuable roaming around in midfield and ahead of the defense. Just slot the ball into his feet and he'll do something good.

Cheyrou's technical ability and smarts are off the charts. He just needs to realize he can't pull something flashy every time he gets the ball. Quality player. Bradley was responsible. As much as I miss the Bradley that did literally everything against Seattle last year, this is probably a good thing. Perquis and Morrow were both excellent as well.

And Altidore, my god what a debut. Strong as an ox, wonderful hold up play, looked better and better as the game went on. Easily Man of the Match.

This is encouraging stuff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First half was weak. Second half was monstrous.
    Vanney out coached Robo.
    This team is going to be the death of me.

Ps. F*** curling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Altidore was exceptional. Bradley and Cheyrou seemed to figure out their roles in the second half. A lot of this was down to Vancouver mismanaging the game; they were pretty gassed by halftime.
    I'm not so sure. They had enough opportunities to easily put TFC 2-0 in the hole through 20 minutes. They just have young / new players that squandered changes or are typically inconsistent.

I prefer the narrative that (for once) we are getting what we paid for and high-priced talent was the difference on the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    From Friday afternoon, pg 3 of this thread.

Looking for some love here.

Ok I'll help out here, Good on you Ensco!