Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This team has potential but Caldwell forces us to go away from Vanney's preferred tactics which is to press. He doesn't know when to leave the back line to challenge, he's way too slow when he does it and way too slow to recover. He's awful with the ball. So negative. Plays midfielders into trouble all the time and plays Bendik way too often which results in a loss of possession. He's a relic who is miscast on a modern team.

The back line in general has no chemistry right now. I guess that's expected but I see Perquis playing one way and Caldwell playing another. Perquis is very much a European style defender who likes to keep in line with the fullbacks when defending. A very flat back 4. Caldwell will either lunge into midfield or drop too deep because he lacks pace. A couple times there was a Whitecap running way past the line and Caldwell keeps dropping with him. Hello buddy, just step up and join your other defenders, the man is way offside. I think it will be so, so hard for Perquis and Caldwell to gel. They play completely different styles.

Obviously Vanney likes a high line but you can't do it when your CBs have no chemistry whatsoever. So already he's on to plan B. I don't like that. I want to see Vanney's plan A.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great game. All is well in TFC land. Let's keep it going to Columbus.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's not the EPL. There will be gaps and gaffs and poor execution.

It's MLS and it's our team and it was entertaining. I love that they didn't play for the typical "road result." Enjoyed watching the new players.

I feel optimism. They used the draft. Bez talks about development. They stuck with a coach experienced with development. They are younger. They can grow together.

Much different vibe this time around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    This team has potential but Caldwell forces us to go away from Vanney's preferred tactics which is to press. He doesn't know when to leave the back line to challenge, he's way too slow when he does it and way too slow to recover. He's awful with the ball. So negative. Plays midfielders into trouble all the time and plays Bendik way too often which results in a loss of possession. He's a relic who is miscast on a modern team.

The back line in general has no chemistry right now. I guess that's expected but I see Perquis playing one way and Caldwell playing another. Perquis is very much a European style defender who likes to keep in line with the fullbacks when defending. A very flat back 4. Caldwell will either lunge into midfield or drop too deep because he lacks pace. A couple times there was a Whitecap running way past the line and Caldwell keeps dropping with him. Hello buddy, just step up and join your other defenders, the man is way offside. I think it will be so, so hard for Perquis and Caldwell to gel. They play completely different styles.

Obviously Vanney likes a high line but you can't do it when your CBs have no chemistry whatsoever. So already he's on to plan B. I don't like that. I want to see Vanney's plan A.
    That in insightful

I wonder if we can get Henry back on loan this summer.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a victory for our new signings. Pretty even game, but our best players were better. Morales was absolutely terrible.

Re tactics in second half, we dropped the high line, yes, but really we stopped making bad passes and turning it over in transition. We looked very crisp with the lead. Not used to it!
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2015 at 07:58 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    how was caldwell our weak link
    He was directly responsible for Rivero's goal, and he got caught on the counter several other times in the first half that could have resulted in goals. He just doesn't have the pace to cover ground anymore. Vanney made the necessary adjustments in the second half, but it was Caldwell that got exposed repeatedly. Our other defenders were able to recover when Vancouver was pressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, but I see Perquis jumping up more. It was actually talked about when we first got him. And he's pretty good at it.

If Perquis plays like he did yesterday, he's an all star.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thought I'd point out that Osorio did some super work on the wing, including much of the move that led to the first goal. Always thought that playing him wide wouldn't work, but maybe it can.

Also: Altidore. Wow. Doing the panenka, then going over in front of the Vancouver supporters to let them know who the boss is. This guy is a serious badass.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perquis was awesome. It would be amazing to have a player of his calibre replace Caldwell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic result, so proud of the way the team played in the second half. That said, Caldwell absolutely cannot be in the starting XI for us if we are going to be playing a high line/midfield press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell suffered in first half playing the high line on turf. The pace is just too quick on the carpet. He could probably do better on grass. Agree with earlier statements that he and Perquis were on different pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Just thought I'd point out that Osorio did some super work on the wing, including much of the move that led to the first goal. Always thought that playing him wide wouldn't work, but maybe it can.

Also: Altidore. Wow. Doing the panenka, then going over in front of the Vancouver supporters to let them know who the boss is. This guy is a serious badass.
    Agreed regarding Osorio. I also thought he would be miscast, but in a 4-2-3-1, he was effective as an inverted winger.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Altidore's demeanor. I didn't know he had that in him, and I like it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good result, much better second half there is lots of potential with this team. However, I know people love Caldwell he is the type of character Toronto fans of any sport love, he is a very down to earth straight forward type of person, nothing flashy an honest simple guy, however, for this team and the way this team wants to play he is not a starter, he is a starter on the TFC teams of 2007 to 2014 the going nowhere fast teams with no hope TFC teams of the past but not for the TFC team going forward. I know we all love the guy but does not fit in on this team, just a matter of time before we have to say goodbye I feel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I do not like Caldwell defending in the box. His arms are always out and extended. We're definitely going to concede some penalties this year because of that.

On a better note, I love Cheyrou. His passing abilities is astounding.
    Last edited by Hieberrr; 03-08-2015 at 10:33 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the goals again in slo mo on MLS Live.

Giovinco's touch to get a couple of steps on Laba were sublime.

Morrow was REALLY close to being offside on his run for the second goal. And his joy at the goal was just crazy jumping. That and seeing Giovinco jump on top of Findley after that goal.

Sure, its easy to be a united team when you win but this makes such a change from last year.

In the interview with Bradley afterwards, he made the point Findley and Alitdore played in the WC together. And that Findley was not just a shot in the dark.

It makes me think that Altidore was always the target to replace Defoe, way back in November, and the swap deal was just how this went down. IF Findley recovers his form from 5 years ago, we have the most dangerous front 3 in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typical HATERS all over Caldwell after one game on TURF....yes he's a tad slow but he's a VERY VERY experienced PRO who is EXCELLENT on GRASS, and was ramked as one of thje BEST CBs in MLS last year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    Typical HATERS all over Caldwell after one game on TURF....yes he's a tad slow but he's a VERY VERY experienced PRO who is EXCELLENT on GRASS, and was ramked as one of thje BEST CBs in MLS last year...
    We don't mind being proven wrong. Hopefully in the future he won't be as much of a liability as he was yesterday during the first half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I HATED Caldwell when he was with us at Birmingham, way too slow for the Championship. I actually think the MLS is faster than the Championship now, and with Caldwell being even older... well, I just don't think he should be playing. Yeah he's a seasoned vet with plenty of experience but I'm sorry, he's a liability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to be such a moderate of the mushy middle, but I can see both sides of the Caldwell argument. I suspect that he lost the captaincy because Vanney does not see him as a constant starter. I think that Hagglund and Zavaleta will have starts as the season proceeds. Sure Caldwell is old school and a step behind...but still deserves a place on the squad.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Watched the goals again in slo mo on MLS Live.

Giovinco's touch to get a couple of steps on Laba were sublime.

Morrow was REALLY close to being offside on his run for the second goal. And his joy at the goal was just crazy jumping. That and seeing Giovinco jump on top of Findley after that goal.

Sure, its easy to be a united team when you win but this makes such a change from last year.

In the interview with Bradley afterwards, he made the point Findley and Alitdore played in the WC together. And that Findley was not just a shot in the dark.

It makes me think that Altidore was always the target to replace Defoe, way back in November, and the swap deal was just how this went down. IF Findley recovers his form from 5 years ago, we have the most dangerous front 3 in MLS.
    Did the same this morning, just to make sure I didn't dream that result. Gotta proclaim Collen Warner for that sweet, floated ball into Altidore that led to the penalty. Beautifully weighted to give him time to set his body and direct it with his chest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC-UK View Post
    .. I actually think the MLS is faster than the Championship now....
    Just to that point, that was the fastest MLS game I've ever seen, in the first half. Although I do think Caldwell can't really play the highline anymore, things won't be the same in other games.

Watching the other MLS games this weekend has been painful. Apart from LAG and Columbus, its been slow slow slow buildup and relying upon mistakes. Columbus and LAG were relying upon incisive passing, not speed.

The technical ability shown by both TFC and VCWC puts them near the top of the east and west, at least right now. Only Columbus, so far, has shown anything in the East. We'll see how NER does against Seattle and the 2 expansion teams - I'm not expecting anything watchable from NYRB.

Next week will be a real test for Cheyrou and Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched through the game again this morning without all of the jitters from last night.

Osorio was very effective. As other have also mentioned, his work outsmarting Teibert made the first goal possible. One big thing I've noticed is that his improved fitness has really helped him. I think he's also picked up a few pounds of muscle. Last season he was constantly pushed off the ball. In this game he was able to stand his ground.

I think we should take it easy on Caldwell for this game, he was OK in the second half. Let's reserve judgement until we see how he makes out on grass. If he and Perquis can't figure out a way to communicate quickly it'll be a problem.

As for DeVos. Holy shit. He was all over Vanney in the first half, talking about how the high line isn't working over, and over, and over. In the second half he didn't give Vanney any praise for adjusting at all, just that the Van players must have run out of gas. If you're going to criticize, maybe also consider giving credit where credit is due DeVos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redisthenewblk View Post
    Watched through the game again this morning without all of the jitters from last night.

Osorio was very effective. As other have also mentioned, his work outsmarting Teibert made the first goal possible. One big thing I've noticed is that his improved fitness has really helped him. I think he's also picked up a few pounds of muscle. Last season he was constantly pushed off the ball. In this game he was able to stand his ground.

I think we should take it easy on Caldwell for this game, he was OK in the second half. Let's reserve judgement until we see how he makes out on grass. If he and Perquis can't figure out a way to communicate quickly it'll be a problem.

As for DeVos. Holy shit. He was all over Vanney in the first half, talking about how the high line isn't working over, and over, and over. In the second half he didn't give Vanney any praise for adjusting at all, just that the Van players must have run out of gas. If you're going to criticize, maybe also consider giving credit where credit is due DeVos.
    I'm not sure if he has to feed the narrative given that TSN is the VWFC sole broadcaster, but even outside of the broadcast, on twitter and podcasts, he sounds like a Whitecaps homer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other than winning yesterday the best part was Altidore scoring, for a guy who hasn't done anything in two years it was extremely important he got his first goals this quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    With respect, people are just wrong about yesterday; he wasn't caught high, he was told to push up, and then so was the fullback because in the first half we played a diamond. We switched to a flat 433 in the second half and had the midfielders help more wide by sliding across.

But the reason Caldwell was caught in the first half was because Creavalle was in the offensive end all the time and Manneh is one of the fastest in the league.

I would point out he wasn't actually beaten, and the one shot Manneh actually managed to get off Bendik blocked easily because Caldwell had cut the angle.

He played okay. Perquis was quite dominant; jumping up into the play when necessary etc. But Caldwell was okay.

I spend a lot of time studying how most people make decisions based more on existing bias or perception than on reality, and it's not reality to say he had a bad game. He had an okay game. Rivero's goal was a trap-breaker and our backline was so high that, with the right ball, it wouldn't really matter who we had there. No CB in this league is going to run down a striker from near half-field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not what I saw.

Here's what actually happened. In the first half, we set up with a narrow midfield but a high pressing backline. That's suicidal against a team with Vancouver's speed, because it assumes your fullback is going to be there to cover anyone trying to use width to break the trap. Effectively, when we were in their end, we wound up looking like this (ball on the right side):

-------Altidore-----Gio-----Findley--------
    -----------Cheyrou----Osorio
    ----------------Bradley------Creavalle
    ---Morrow---Perquis--Caldwell-----------

Now, can everyone see where the big hole is in our defense? That big spot behind Creavalle where Manneh, the third-fastest player in MLS with near Olympic speed, was running all first half?

This was purely a tactical issue. There is no way either Caldwell OR Perquis (who is also not that fast) could have covered him.

It was tactically naive. You can't play a diamond and high pressing line with an overlapping fullback.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-08-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    I'm not sure if he has to feed the narrative given that TSN is the VWFC sole broadcaster, but even outside of the broadcast, on twitter and podcasts, he sounds like a Whitecaps homer.
    It was pretty bad. His wiki says he's getting his UEFA badges, so maybe he's looking for work. I suspect it's just an ingrained bias from years of legitimately crapping on us and praising the Whitecaps. But the homerism was noticeable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who was screaming at Bendik to come out on that breakaway for Rivero?. We will never know if he would have got to the ball, but that 2nd touch by Rivero was way ahead and I think Bendik may have got there if he had reacted quickly. Easy for me to say I know, however I think by staying as far back as he did he made Rivero's job way easier. My buddy, who is a very good goalie, texted me cursing Bendik for not coming out.
    Anywho, awesome result and excellent 2nd half performance by team and coach. Right subs at the right time in my opinion. Think part of the reason to bring on Moore for Giovinco was his ability to hold up the ball and his height on defensive set pieces, smart move. I thought Warner did a great job when he came on.